Headlining this weekend’s racing will be the 2nd legs of the Juvenile Series Championships to be held at both Seoul and Busan on Sunday. It’s Busan that gets racing underway though with 11 races on Friday from 11:30 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Juvenile maidens to begin with. (3) JEONSEOLUI PUNCH ran an improved 3rd on what was his second start just two weeks ago and recorded a time significantly faster than his opponents here. He’ll be on pace from the start and is favoured to make the breakthrough. A few of the others also look to be heading in the right direction following promising runs second-up. (10) ADELE SPIKE also ran a good third when dropped back to this trip after weakening over 1200M on debut, while (1) QUEEN OF THE QUEEN defied three-figure odds to come a useful 4th back at the end of last month. (12) FAMILY DANCER too showed significant progress last start and can build on it today. There are five first-timers and of them, (7) SPICE CANDY looks the pick over (4) EAGLE STAR.
|Selections||(3) Jeonseolui Punch (10) Adele Spike (7) Spice Candy (12) Family Dancer|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 7|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Juvenile maidens again but this time they’re all fillies. Following a couple of promising trials, (1) CHOEGANG TOUCH was relatively well-backed on debut on September 27th and duly beat a couple of these on her way to 3rd place. She won’t need to improve much off that run to win again today. (8) NANSAN YEOJE was a disappointing 9th in the same race. She previously ran 2nd behind the very promising Dongteuja Day and should get much closer today. (6) MILE QUEEN ran an unexpected 4th on her debut in sloppy conditions while (4) BEAUTIFUL KOREA and (5) MAX POWER both put in reasonable performances on their respective last starts and could get close here.
|Selections||(1) Choegang Touch (8) Nansan Yeoje (6) Mile Queen (4) Beautiful Korea|
|Next Best||5, 7|
|Fast Start||6, 8|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Filly maidens here. One of the two debut-makers catches the eye. (7) HAPPY YOJEONG is a “full” sister to Cheongu, who won five of fifteen starts and raced at the Dubai World Cup Carnival, as well as Segi Gangja, who continues to run well at Busan. She was only average in her trial, but a top jockey has been engaged and she couldn’t get a weaker race to start her career in. (3) SECRET LEGACY registered a best of 4th in five starts between October last year and March this. She’s been off since but looked a much better prospect when requalifying and winning a trial two weeks ago and goes straight into contention here. (4) THUNDER VEGAS wasn’t too far off 2nd in a tight race last time and shapes to be in the mix here. (6) PEREFCT ANGEL and (8) MAGIC STEALTH look best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) Secret Legacy (4) Thunder Vegas (7) Happy Yojeong (6) Perfect Angel|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7, 8|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(3) CHEONNYEONUI GIL and (4) FLYING KINGS came home 2nd and 3rd when they raced each other on what was for the former, a debut, back on September 20th. Both look nicely in here and can go well again. The one they’ll need to beat though is (2) ADELE CLASSIC, a solid 4th on debut over 1000M last month. The additional trip today should be in his favour and he can get closer here. It’s a similar story for (11) TOUCH STAR MAN from top trainer Kim Young-kwan’s stable. He debuted two weeks ago and should be better for the run. She’s out of Oaks winner Useung Touch. There are three debut-makers, all of whom did well in trials. Thomas Gillespie’s (9) JEONSEOLUI FIGHT perhaps has the best chance of making an immediate impact.
|Selections||(2) Adele Classic (11) Touch Star Man (9) Jeonseolui Fight (3) Cheonnyeonui Gil|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 11|
Race 5: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(9) SHINING EYE has shown improvement across three starts so far, culminating in 3rd place last start on her first try at this distance. She can overcome the wide draw here and can win. (5) SEOBU GENTLEMAN showed significant improvement to run 2nd at this distance earlier this month and should be in the hunt here although (2) PARTY LION has also demonstrated ability with some solid finishes so far and should be involved too. (1) ARA MYUNGMA was a slightly disappointing 6th lats start but can be given another chance here. (6) BARAMUI YEOSIN should be on pace from the start with the only question being how long she can hold on for.
|Selections||(9) Shining Eye (2) Party Lion (1) Ara Myungma (5) Seobu Gentleman|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 8, 9|
Race 6: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(1) CHEONNYEONUIHUIMA was just beaten a head over 1300M last start, running on well. Although previous attempts at a mile haven’t gone especially well, she looks ready for another crack and has an excellent chance here. (4) TOP FIRE showed promise in her first two outings and while she had a poor day at the office last time, can be given another chance today on what will be her first try at this distance. Those two look head and shoulders above the rest although (6) JANGGUNEUI JILJU did beat a couple of these on her way to an unlikely 3rd place last time and could pull off a repeat. (3) SUN MOUNTAIN, behind her that day, looks more likely to overturn that form though.
|Selections||(1) Cheonnyeonuiheuima (4) Top Fire (3) Sun Mountain (6) Jangguneui Jilju|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||5, 5, 7|
Race 7: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(6) MAN OF THE MATCH has won three of nine so far and comfortably defeated a couple of these on his way to a three-length score at class and distance on September 27th. He does carry an additional 3kg today but still looks very much the one to beat. (8) MGIC FLYING and (5) DOCTOR WEEK came home in 3rd and 4th in that race with just over a length separating them. They have plenty of find on Man Of The Match but should be competing for the places at least. (2) GANGHAN NAMJA, racing for the sixtieth time today but competitive in this company, and (3) CITY WINNER, are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(6) Man Of The Match (5) Doctor Week (8) Magic Flying (3) City Winner|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||5, 6|
Race 8: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) QUEEN OF THE YEAR ran out an eight-length winner on debut on October 4th. She is up in both class and distance today, but the manner of that victory suggests there is more to come, and she is the pick to prevail once more. (2) YEONGGWANGUI TIME and (5) WONDERFUL PEACE are also both up in class after their respective maiden wins last start. Both should be competitive at this level and indeed, the pair of them look to be the biggest dangers to the favourite. That’s true too for (7) TAMNA LIST, who while a somewhat unexpected winner earlier this month, should also be able to hold her own. As for those with prior experience of racing at class 5, (6) MAJOR POWER looks the best.
|Selections||(9) Queen Of The Year (5) Wonderful Peace (2) Yeonggwangui Time (7) Tamna List|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 9|
Race 9: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 50 Million
(5) MARK ONE has been knocking at the door with three runner-up finishes from four starts, including at class and distance last time with a couple of his rivals here behind him. Today should really be his day. One of those was (11) URANUS J, who did actually beat Mark One a couple of starts back. He should be better today than last time and is a danger along with (2) ULSAN JANGGUN, who steps back up to a mile following a strong 2nd over 1300M last time out. (7) WONDERFUL SUPAH is up in class having registered his maiden win over this distance a month ago and can be taken seriously. (12) DAMYANG CHOEGANG, a thirteen-race maiden but who has finished in the top three on no fewer than six occasions, is another who will surely be in the placing frame.
|Selections||(5) Mark One (2) Ulsan Janggun (7) Wonderful Supah (12) Damyang Choegang|
|Next Best||11, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 10, 12|
Race 10: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Could today really be the day for (6) WONDERFUL MORNING? It really should be. A maiden after eight attempts, he’s finished as runner-up five times and been 3rd twice. He should have the beating of these though and he’s favoured to finally score. If he does come up short – and frankly, it’s possible – (7) SWEEP WINNING looks best placed to take advantage. He beat Wonderful Morning somewhat unexpectedly when that paid finished 1st and 2nd at class and distance on September 27th. That was his first win in twenty-two starts and lightning could well strike twice. (11) TEXAS SIDAE actually started as favourite in that race but finished well back. He can be given another chance to get closer today. (1) TIME SPEC and (8) AMAZING TAPIT are others in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(6) Wonderful Morning (7) Sweep Winning (11) Texas Sidae (1) Time Spec|
|Next Best||8, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|
Race 11: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Competitive handicap to round out the card although (10) ULTRA POWER is the one to beat. A six-length winner over a mile at the end of August to get promoted to this level, he ran 4th on his first try at this class on September 27th. Despite the wide draw, he’ll be on pace today and can win. (6) ORYONG comes in off a class and distance 4th and can match or better that here while (4) CHEONYEONUITAEYANG is one race into a comeback following three months off and should improve today. (8) TOUGH GREEN and (9) U S MAN look best of the rest.
|Selections||(10) Ultra Power (6) Oryong (4) Cheonyeonuitaeyang (8) Tough Green|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 10|