Sunday is a big day of racing on the peninsula. Yesterdays rain has cleared up overnight but it will still be very wet underfoot at both Seoul and Busan. Seoul’s eleven race card begins at 10:50 while Busan’s six get underway at 13:00.
English language race cards can be found here. Notes on all races after 1pm here:
Busan Race 1: Class 5 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 13:00 (KST)
A very open race to start with, (3) REALLY ONE and (6) GRAND JO are both up in class following maiden wins last time out. The latter’s was at this distance and it is he who has the slightly stronger claims here. Thomas Gillespie’s (2) GOLD SUN won an all-filly race at this distance on her debut in January and while she didn’t go well last time, looks very nicely in here as does (7) CHOA. He faded a little close to home when well backed at 1300M last time and should go better today. (4) BIGBANG BID is the other one who should go close.
Selections (2) Gold Sun (7) Choa (6) Grand Jo (3) Really One
Next Best 4, 12, 10, 11
Outsiders 1, 5, 8, 9
Fast Starters 2, 3, 6, 8
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 / 1000M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 13:25 (KST)
(7) CHEONJI TAP is up in class following her maiden win over 1000M last time out. She has had seven weeks off since her four-length triumph so comes in fresh and is favoured to see off this field at this same distance. Both (5) SEONGBULOREUM and (10) EOJJUGURI should appreciate dropping back to 1000M today, the former beat the latter as they ran 1st and 2nd in a race back in December and both should be competitive here. (3) YEONGGWANGUIGEUNAL is yet to win in ten starts but is also yet to try this distance and after a chastening experience at 1700M last month, he may well welcome it. Wildcard is (6) KKUM KAERA. She returns after just over a year out. She looked a potential talent with a win and a 3rd in two starts and came through a trial in good order last month
Selections (7) Cheonji Tap (5) Seongbuloreum (6) Kkum Kaera (10) Eojjuguri
Next Best 3, 9, 4, 1, 8, 12
Outsiders 2, 11
Fast Starters 1, 5, 6, 7
Busan Race 2: Class 4 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 13:45 (KST)
(1) TOHAMSAN has won three out of four and while he is up in distance to 1400M for the first time today, he can be backed to once more make all here. (2) PHANTOM BLADE is already a winner at the distance and while he hasn’t found it easy in two class 4 starts – being beaten once by (6) HWARYEOHANHAMSEONG – he can go close today. (3) V MAN and (5) MAGIC LINE are both up in class following victories last time. V Man really had to battle in a tight finish over a mile while Magic Line sauntered to a five-length triumph at this distance. The latter is favoured here.
Selections (1) Tohamsan (2) Phantom Blade (5) Magic Line (3) V Man
Next Best 6, 4
Fast Starters 1
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 60 Million / 14:10 (KST)
A weak event but also an open one and it’s a good opportunity for (2) DAEHAN YEONGUNG to get his maiden win on what will be his seventh start. He has shown decent speed and has come close in recent efforts. He will set the pace here and may not be caught. If he is though, it’s a couple who already have winning experience who are the most likely in the shape of (3) POWER SYMPHONY and (4) HWANGGEUM BISANG. The latter was a class and distance winner in January. (7) LET’S GO RUN and (8) MIGHTY HIM are others to look out for.
Selections (2) Daehan Yeongung (4) Hwanggeum Bisang (3) Power Symphony (8) Mighty Him
Next Best 7, 1, 9
Outsiders 5, 6, 10
Fast Starters 2 6
Busan Race 3: Class 4 / 1800M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 14:30 (KST)
A rare 1800M class 4 event open to imported horses and (6) YEONGCHEON SIDAE is one of all but four here who try this distance for the first time. He was beaten a nose into 4th by (2) GANGJA BONSAEK over 1400M last month but looks to be the sort who will thrive at two turns. He carries hardly any weight and is the slight pick here. (8) ACE SINHWA was beaten by (4) WIN GO MAN and (7) IRON TRAIN when six of those who go here raced each other over a mile last month but has every chance of overturning that today with those other two also having claims. The main danger though could be (12) COTTINPICKINGOOD. Stepped up to a mile last time for his 3rd start he was staying on very nicely for 2nd place and is another who could really welcome this crack at two turns today. (9) CHEONJUNGWANG is another with solid claims for at least a place.
Selections (6) Yeongcheon Sidae (12) Cottinpickingood (8) Ace Sinhwa (9) Cheonjungwang
Next Best 2, 7, 4, 5
Outsiders 1, 3, 10, 11, 13
Fast Starters 4, 10
Seoul Race 7: Class 3 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 75 Million / 14:55 (KST)
(7) JANGSAN BLADE has been slightly disappointing in two tries at this class since a commanding win on debut last November. However, he should have too much for this modest field and will be a strong favourite. He is one of only a few who won’t necessarily look to lead straight from the gate. Two who will are his main dangers; (9) LITTLE BROWN and (10) SAMJEONG INDIAN, both proven money winners at this level. Beyond those, it looks a bit thin with (1) BARAM SOGEURO and (4) GOLD HORAH perhaps the most likely to show improvement from recent starts.
Selections (7) Jangsan Blade (9) Little Brown (10) Samjeong Indian (4) Gold Horah
Next Best 1, 3
Outsiders 2, 5, 6, 8
Fast Starters 1, 2, 6, 9, 10
Busan Race 4: Class 3 / 1600M / Handicap / KRW 72 Million / 15:20 (KST)
(2) IN THE BACK has come home in the front in two out of his last three race and accordingly is up in class today. He is also up to a mile for the first time but that should be well within his ability and he should at least continue his record of being in the top two in each of his last seven starts. (4) BOHEMIAN looks a danger. At five he is in the best form of his career and has ground out victories over 1400M and 1800M in his last two starts. Look for him to be a front-runner here. (10) SINCHEON YEOMANG has had eight weeks off since beating (11) YEONGUNG BOLT as the pair ran 3rd and 4th at class and distance in February and both can go well once more while (12) KKEUTPANNYEOWANG is up in class following victory at a mile last month and can be respected.
Selections (2) In The Back (4) Bohemian (10) Sincheon Yeomang (11) Yeongung Bolt
Next Best 12, 9, 6, 7
Outsiders 1, 3, 5, 8
Fast Starters 1, 3, 4, 6
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 / 1700M / Handicap / KRW 60 Million / 15:45 (KST)
(1) MENI MUSIC was 2nd in the Sports Seoul Cup, an early Korean Oaks trial, last month having been one of the most impressive juveniles in the capital last autumn. She didn’t go well on her only previous try at this distance but three months on can go much better here. She will look to lead straight from the gate. The main danger is (4) SAMBONG. He is already a winner at this distance and has a 3rd and a 2nd in two starts so far this year. Also a winner at this distance is (9) STAR BONNY BEE. His narrow class 5 victory in February saw him promoted to this level and he was 3rd behind a good winner last month, again at this distance. (7) QUEEN HUDSON and (6) GRAND PYNX, the latter trying the distance for the first time, are others who should go well.
Selections (1) Meni Music (4) Sambong (9) Star Bonny Bee (6) Grand Pynx
Next Best 7, 10,
Outsiders 2, 3, 5, 8
Fast Starters 1
Busan Race 5: Class 3 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 72 Million / 16:10 (KST)
A winner on debut and close in his next two at longer distances, (8) HONG KONG BLUE will be the strong favourite to score in this JRA Kokura Racecourse Exchange Event. He has a strong finish and will look to come from just off any early pace. That pace could be set by (9) GHOST MADRONE, 4th over the distance last time and he can push the favourite a little closer than he did when they raced each other in February. (6) SMILE QUEEN will also go to the front from the gate and has a solid record of winning money at this class while (5) GANGHO DRIVE and (7) GEOCHIMEOPSI are others capable of being involved.
Selections (8) Hong Kong Blue (9) Ghost Madrone (6) Smile Queen (7) Geochimeopsi
Next Best 5, 1
Outsiders 2, 3, 4
Fast Starters 3, 6, 9
Seoul Race 9: Class Open “The Herald Business Cup” / 2000M / Allowance / KRW 250 Million / 16:40 (KST)
Six of the seven who go here faced each other in the Owners’ Association Trophy last month. That was at 1200M and while (6) HAEMARU prevailed that day, up at 2000M, (2) SOTONG SIDAE, 3rd in that race, has to be favoured to overturn that result here. He was 4th in last year’s President’s Cup and winner of the Sports Chosun, both at this distance. Haemaru nevertheless, still presents the main danger while (1) GUMANSEOK can also challenge. The seven-year-old returned to contention for the best races with back to back wins at 1900M around the turn of the year. 2000M may be just a little far for (3) SEONBONG and (5) POWER CITY while (7) GOLDHOLIC is yet to be proven at class 1. The evergreen eight-year-old (4) SINGGEUREOUNACHIM can never be ruled out of finding the places.
Selections (2) Sotong Sidae (6) Haemaru (1) Gumaseok (3) Seonbong
Next Best 4, 5, 7
Fast Starters 3, 6
Busan Race 6: Class 1 / 1600M / Handicap / KRW 105 Million / 17:05 (KST)
(8) APPROACH comes in following a hat-trick of wins which sees him promoted to class 1 for the first time. There is nothing here that is too intimidating in this race which while class 1, is only open to horses rated 95 or below. He should be prominent from the start and can open his account at the top level. Approach will be strong favourite with (10) MR. WHY, also up in class today, among the main contenders to stop him. (5) DARKEST NIGHT, 2nd on his own class 1 debut last month can go well too while the experienced (7) STAR BOLT should be close. 2013 KRA Cup Mile winner (1) STING RAY began his latest comeback with an indifferent performance over 1800M last month but can go better here.
Selections (8) Approach (5) Darkest Night (10) Mr. Why (1) Sting Ray
Next Best 7, 12, 9, 4
Outsiders 2, 3, 6, 11
Fast Starters 2, 4, 6, 8, 9
Seoul Race 10: Class 2 / 1800M / Handicap / KRW 90 Million / 17:30 (KST)
An eye-catching eight-length winner over this distance last month (2) MISO WANGJA is up in class today. The Cowboy Cal colt has never finished any worse than 2nd in five starts and there is no reason why he should here. He goes forward and he will stay on. Also up in class for his sixth career start is (3) JINGYEOGUI GEOJANG. He’s had a stop-start career and has never tried further than 1400M but should be capable. More experienced and a class and distance winner already is (7) SUN STRONG and while he carries top weight, he will be well-backed. Also a class and distance winner last time out, (9) TAESAN CHEONJI should go close while (11) FOREVER DAEMUL and (8) DONGBANGUISAEACHIM, who beat Sun Strong in February, are also to be considered.
Selections (2) Miso Wangja (7) Sun Strong (9) Taesan Cheonji (3) Jingyeogui Geojang
Next Best 8, 11, 5, 1, 10
Outsiders 4, 6
Fast Starters 2, 3, 5
Seoul Race 11: Class 3 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 75 Million / 18:00 (KST)
(3) SUPER START is up in class following three straight wins, making all in each of them. He’ll no doubt try similar today but while he has strong claims and is the pick, it will be tougher. (2) GRAND BLEU is very capable and drops back down to this distance for the first time since last September and will likely challenge Super Start for the lead early on. Filly (6) QUEEN CREEK CAT is also up in class following a sharp looking win at this distance on March 19th and is to be considered as are proven money winners at this class (1) TRIPLE LIGHT and (7) JEIL JAL NAGA. Those two, along with Grand Bleu, all beat (9) THUNDER STEP over 1400M in February but the latter came back out and recorded a solid 4th last month at this distance, something he can repeat today.
Selections (3) Super Start (6) Queen Creek Cat (2) Grand Bleu (1) Triple Light
Next Best 7, 9, 8
Outsiders 4, 5, 10, 11, 12
Fast Starters 2, 3, 6