It’s a big Sunday of racing in Korea. No Stakes action but plenty going on and some big names will be taking to the track. Triple Nine heads the line-up for the feature race at Busan while Wonder Bolt races at Seoul.
Park Tae Jong (seen here a few years ago) rode his 2000th winner yesterday. He ended the day on 2001 and could get more today
There are 11 races at Seoul from 10:50 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 13:00 to 17:00. English racecards can be found here. Notes on races which will be simulcasted overseas are below:
Busan Race 1: Class 6 / 1000M / Handicap / KRW 20 Million / 13:00 (KST)
The Kim Young Kwan trained (8) KKOKDAEGI debuts in weak company here and will be expected to make a winning start. He trialed well last week behind a stablemate who won at Busan on Friday and should have too much for this limited set of opposition. (1) OH DAEBAK and (9) BEATBOX look the least bad of the others and could push the favourite close with (5) TAKE AGAIN and (6) BUGYEONG DOLPUNG capable of finding the minor money.
Selections (8) Kkokdaegi (1) Oh Daebak (9) Beatbox (5) Take Again
Next Best 6, 4, 3, 7
Outsiders 2, 10, 11, 12
Fast Starters 3, 4, 6
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 / 1000M / Handicap / KRW 60 Million / 13:25 (KST)
A six-length winner over 1200M on April 24th, (7) KATIE STAR is strongly favoured to follow up here. She made all that day and has every chance of doing so again. (3) GAENARI showed promise in four starts last year and returns to the track for the first time in six month having looked good winning a trial last month and looks to be the main danger along with (8) TIZ KING. He was beaten by Katie Star last time but can be given another chance here. Both the debut-makers (4) BIG ENTRY and (9) LOST IN DRAMA looked good in trials and have chances here with the latter slightly favoured.
Selections (7) Katie Star (3) Gaenari (9) Lost In Drama (8) Tiz King
Next Best 4, 11, 1, 5
Outsiders 2, 6, 10, 12
Fast Starters 5, 6, 7, 8
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 14:10 (KST)
(7) PRETTY BOY has come close in two starts at this level so far and looks nicely in to claim his second win here. He’ll be on the early speed and can make all. There are plenty of dangers though. (8) GWANGYANG DOLPUNG was a narrowly beaten 2nd last start at 1300M and should appreciate the extra half furlong. (1) TWO KAY is up in class following his maiden win last start and will go to the front early. (3) IN BORN CHAMP is another up in class following his maiden and can be considered while (9) BEST QUEEN is the other to look out for.
Selections (7) Pretty Boy (8) Gwangyang Dolpung (3) In Born Champ (1) Two Kay
Next Best 9, 5, 4, 12
Outsiders 2, 6, 10, 11
Fast Starters 1, 3, 7
Busan Race 3: Class 5 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 14:30 (KST)
Thomas Gillespie’s (2) HANEOLUI JILJU was a class and distance winner by a neck three weeks ago and he’s the pick to strike again. He has a fast start and the others will need to come past him. If any do, the most likely is (8) AREUMDAUN KKUM, who is yet to win but is up in class following a 3rd and two 2nd places from three starts and looks to have potential. (4) BLUE CAT disappointed when favourite at 1400M three weeks ago but she should be better at 1200M today and the Bart Rice stable is bang in-form right now. (6) GANGJA DAERO and (7) PERFECT HUMOR may contest for places.
Selections (2) Haneolui Jilju (4) Blue Cat (8) Areumdaun Kkum (6) Gangja Daero
Next Best 7, 5
Outsiders 1, 3
Fast Starters 2, 4, 8
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 60 Million / 14:55 (KST)
Quite a competitive race this but having been 2nd at class and distance last month, (5) GOLD MUSIC is the pick to go one better this time. He led for most of that race, getting caught close to the line but should get the job done here. (6) HOMERUN MAKER was 2nd in a weak race at the beginning of April and comes in here after seven weeks off. She’ll contest the lead early. (9) GEUMGANGJEGUK enters following back to back 3rds and can match or better. (4) CHARISMA QUEEN and (10) MY HAPPY should both be better back down in distance today.
Selections (5) Gold Music (6) Homerun Maker (9) Geumgangjeguk (4) Charisma Queen
Next Best 10, 1, 2, 7
Outsiders 3, 8
Fast Starters 5, 6, 7, 8
Busan Race 4: Class 4 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 15:20 (KST)
(1) NO SMALL KOREA was 3rd on debut last month and will be favoured to make the breakthrough today. She didn’t get off to an especially good start in that race but expect her to be on the early speed here. (6) COTTINPICKINGOOD also looks to have a win in him. He was stepped up to 1800M last month and was beaten by, among others (5) QUEEN ELEGANCE. Both can be competitive today. An unexpected winner over 1300M last time, (9) PARTYINTHEDESERT can be respected but will have to improve here. (2) SWEET MYEONGUN and (7) GOLD SKY look best of the rest of a competitive field.
Selections (1) No Small Korea (6) Cottinpickingood (5) Queen Elegance (7) Gold Sky
Next Best 2, 9, 11, 10, 12, 3, 4, 8
Fast Starters 1, 7, 10
Busan Race 5: Class 3 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 72 Million / 16:10 (KST)
(1) SUPER STORM was 3rd in a strong race at class and distance on April 1st and comes in here ready to win. He was passed in the closing stages by two decent horses in that race and will go forward again. There is a lot of early speed here and a couple of the other fancied ones will be on it. They include (2) SMILE QUEEN and (4) TANK POWER, the latter of whom beat four of these when finishing 4th at 1400M on April 24th. Smile Queen last start was beaten by (8) GANGHO DRIVE and that one, along with (10) MACHU PICCHU look to be the ones to follow if the winner is to come from behind the early front-runners.
Selections (1) Super Storm (2) Smile Queen (4) Tank Power (8) Gangho Drive
Next Best 10, 5, 7, 12
Outsiders 3, 6, 9, 11
Fast Starters 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 9
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 / 1700M / Handicap / KRW 75 Million / 16:35 (KST)
Any number of these have claims but we’ll make (4) HWANGGEUM SESANG the slight favourite. He was a well beaten 2nd by a good winner at class and distance last start six weeks ago but he is joint-top-rated for a reason and comes in here in the most consistent form. (2) JANGSAN TAEYANG was 2nd over class and distance in February and was a solid 5th over 1800M a month ago and should be competitive here while (3) HONGNAM BULPAE was poor behind Hwanggeum Sesang last time but can be given another chance here. (6) BIG FIVE steps up to two turns for the first time and is likely to try to lead from the gate while (7) READY KHAN races for the first time since victory at 1800M in January and may be considered.
Selections (4) Hwanggeum Sesang (6) Big Five (2) Jangsan Taeyang (7) Ready Khan
Next Best 3, 9, 10
Outsiders 1, 5, 8
Fast Starters 6, 9
Busan Race 6: Class 1 / 1800M / Handicap / KRW 105 Million / 17:00 (KST)
(10) TRIPLE NINE was last year’s Horse of the Year and is two for two in 2016 beating four of his rivals here twice already. He will be favourite for this and is the best horse and while he should win, there are dangers. (3) DORAON HYEONPYO has yet to show that he can really beat the best but he will look to set the pace here and should be at least 2nd. The ever-reliable mare (6) HEBA is one of those beaten twice by Triple Nine this year but will be close again while (2) DARKEST NIGHT has shown the best form of his career this year. (8) DIFERENT DIMENSION is up in class following a four-length win over 1800M a month ago and accordingly is very nicely in the weights here.
Selections (10) Triple Nine (8) Diferent Dimension (3) Doraon Hyeonpyo (6) Heba
Next Best 2, 4, 12, 1
Outsiders 5, 7, 9, 11
Fast Starters 2, 3, 8, 11
Seoul Race 10: Class 1 / 1800M / Handicap / KRW 110 Million / 17:30 (KST)
(7) WONDER BOLT was a four-length winner over 1200M at the beginning of April but is equally capable at 1800 and should come from just behind the early pace to win this. He has a capable apprentice jockey on board. (8) DYNAMIC JILJU and (9) SOTONG SIDAE are the main dangers although (10) BADA JILJU scored a good win at class and distance three weeks ago, albeit in slightly weaker company, and can be considered. (6) UNBEATABLE is anything but unbeatable but is generally capable of finding the money.
Selections (7) Wonder Bolt (9) Sotong Sidae (8) Dynamic Jilju (6) Unbeatable
Next Best 10, 3, 11, 12, 2
Outsiders 1, 4, 5
Fast Starters 2, 3
Seoul Race 11: Class 2 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 90 Million / 18:00 (KST)
Another competitive race to end with. (5) QUEEN CREEK CAT is up in class after back to back wins at this distance and is the likely favourite. She will try to make all from the gate. Also on the early speed will be (10) YAHO SKY CAT. His two starts so far this year have been in a Listed and Graded race and while they didn’t go well, the company should be much more amenable today. (11) A.P. STAR beat a couple of these when 3rd at class and distance a month ago and can go well again while (3) S ROSE and (6) JANGSANJEWANG are the others to consider. The latter is trained by former Singapore trainer Brian Dean.
Selections (6) Jangsanjewang (5) Queen Creek Cat (10) Yaho Sky Cat (3) S Rose
Next Best 11, 12, 7, 9
Outsiders 1, 2, 4, 8
Fast Starters 1, 5, 6, 10