Silver Wolf will bid to sweep all three legs of the Queens’ Tour for the second time as the nation’s top fillies and mares come together for the final time this season in the Gyeongnam Governor’s Cup at Busan on Sunday. There are 6 races at Busan from 12:40 to 17:10 and 11 at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00).
Silver Wolf won the Ttukseom Cup, KNN Cup and Gyeongnam Govenor’s in 2017. Under the old rules, only fillies and mares aged 305 were eligible for the Queens’ Tour but that was changed this year and the now seven-year-old Aussie-bred Silver Wolf (Oratorio) was able to rejoin. In her absence last year, Sky Bay took full advantage and she also returns to Busan in what is set to be an uphill battle to retain her Crown.
Below are race-by-race comments for Seoul, followed at the bottom by selections for Busan as well as a comment on the big race:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Banker of the day is in the first as (2) WORLD BEYOND will be heavy favourite to score. One of only two in the field to have raced before, she was 3rd on debut in a good time on September 21st. She should be leading from the start and a run that is in any way similar to last time will be enough here. The other one with prior experience is (8) MAY BLUE, who was an improved 4th on her second outing last month and she should at least match that here. Among the first-time starters, (6) FIGHTING NOW and (7) BRAVO GWACHEON look the most likely to make to make an immediate impact.
|Selections||(2) World Beyond (6) Fighting Now (7) Bravo Gwacheon (8) May Blue|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 8|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
More juvenile maidens with just three of the nine having raced previously. Of those, both (2) YEOLRIN MUN and (7) MONEY CHAMP have shown enough to suggest that wins at this level will be possible and both will have plenty of backers here. The favourite though is likely to be one of the first-timers. (6) GEUMA KITTEN beat a couple of these on his way to 3rd in a fast trial last month and if he brings that form to the races, he can win. (5) WONDERFUL GLITTER was a trial winner last month and while the time wasn’t fast, she looked very competent, leading all the way. (4) YAHO GOLDEN CAT is another trial winner who can go well first-up.
|Selections||(6) Geuma Kitten (2) Yeolrin Mun (5) Wonderful Glitter (7) Money Champ|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 7|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Decent little maiden here. (7) YEONHUI ILCHUL ran a very good 3rd over 1300M on debut last month. She was a full ten-lengths behind a good winner, but the time was creditable and while it’s interesting to see her drop back in trip when she took to the distance so well, she probably deserves favourite status here. (6) MASEONG TUHON has finished no worse than 4th in three starts so far, showing a good turn of foot along the way and should at least maintain that record here. (1) MAD DIVA improved on her second outing on September 22nd and while it was a weaker race than this, showed she has some ability. (2) BAEDARI SUMMIT and (5) HAMYANG SANGRIM are others to consider.
|Selections||(7) Yeonhui Ilchul (6) Maseong Tuhon (1) Mad Diva (5) Hamyang Sangrim|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(4) FEDERAL KING makes for a warm favourite here. He ran 2nd in a similar strength race to this over 1000M four weeks ago and having previously demonstrated he can run at this distance too, should really be making all. (1) PENUMBRA backs up quickly following a career-best 2nd two weeks ago and should be figuring again while (6) CLEAR STORY has two good runs to her name at this distance and should be challenging Federal King for the early lead. (3) MANE HANA has been knocking on the door of the places for some time now and could improve here while (7) CHEONSE MANSE is another who could compete for the minor money.
|Selections||(4) Federal King (1) Penumbra (6) Clear Story (3) Mane Hana|
|Next Best||7, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6|
Race 5: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(7) JEONGJOUI KKUM has moved rapidly up in class having won two of his latest three including a four-length score last start. The manner of that victory suggests more to come, and he can win this. A couple of others step up in class following last start victories too and of them, (4) VALLEY QUEEN looks best equipped to immediately challenge at this level. As for those with experience in this class, (3) PRIVATE MAN has a 3rd and a 2nd in two starts since being promoted. He somewhat surprisingly drops back to the minimum trip here, but he looks competitive. (6) WINNER CROWN and (1) HANEULEUL DALRIDA are others who can go close.
|Selections||(7) Jeongjoui Kkum (3) Private Man (6) Winner Crown (4) Valley Queen|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 6|
Race 6: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) UTGE HAEJULGE was a beaten favourite at class and distance on September 7th. He’s drawn well to get a fast start here though and looks worth another chance on top. (6) HOMECOMING was a good class and distance winner last start and while he carries a couple of additional kilograms today, has strong claims to follow up while (7) FLYING JOY drops back in trip for the first time in a while and can come into contention. (10) ACE WIN remains a maiden but is up in class following back to back runner-up finishes, both times behind the favourite and she should be able to hold her own here. (9) HEUNG KKAEBI returns to racing for the first time since April and is the wildcard having trialled well last month.
|Selections||(4) Utge Haejulge (6) Homecoming (7) Flying Joy (10) Ace Win|
|Next Best||9, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6|
Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) PANORAMA VIEW was a winner on debut over 1200M on September 21st. He came from off the pace to run on well and the slight step up in trip should only be to his benefit and he is favoured to win again. The main danger is still a maiden. (3) BRIGADIER GENERAL has finished no worse than 4th in four starts so far and the Aussie import looks sure to get a maiden win sooner or later. It could be here. (1) ALL THAT KOREA enters with recent form reading well and should be close once more while (5) DOLGYEOK APEURO and (8) BROWN ROSE others in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(4) Panorama View (3) Brigadier General (5) Dolgyeok Apeuro (8) Brown Rose|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8|
Race 8: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) JANGSAN FLY prevailed at class and distance by two and a half lengths on September 7th, leading from gate to wire. He carries an additional 3kg today, but with seemingly no other early speed in the race, it would be a surprise if he didn’t get a soft lead and come out on top again. (7) JEONGSANG BAEKHO ran a good 2nd on debut four weeks ago. He’s up in trip today but that could well suit and he looks to be the main danger. The experienced (3) BAEKSAN GUNJU showed some signs of returning to form with a useful 4th place in a good race at class and distance at the end of August and comes in here after eight weeks off with placing claims. (4) TWIN JET and (9) WHIZ REINA are others worthy of consideration.
|Selections||(2) Jangsan Fly (7) Jeongsang Baekho (3) Baeksan Gunju (4) Twin Jet|
|Next Best||9, 5|
Race 9: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(11) DETERMINATION ran out a four-length winner on what was his second career start on September 21st. he is accordingly up in class and in distance today, but the manner of that win suggested there is more to come. The wide draw shouldn’t be too much of an issue as he won’t be looking to lead, and he can win this. (4) GEUMSUNI STAR enters off back to back 3rd place finishes, the latter at this distance and he should go close again while (7) CRAZY QUEEN has two runner-up finishes in her latest two but steps up to this trip for the first time. (6) BAEKDUI TAEYANG and (10) SPEED HEUKRYEONG look best of the rest.
|Selections||(11) Determination (4) Geumsuni Star (7) Crazy Queen (10) Speed Heukryong|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 10|
Race 10: Class 3 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(5) COLORFUL JOY has won three of his latest four and steps up in class and up to this trip for the first time. His running style suggests that it can suit, however, and we’ll put him on top to score again. (9) EAST KINGDOM and (12) BEST VICTORY are both up in class having won at this distance in their respective latest outings. The former looks better equipped to compete at this level right away. (11) SOJUNGHAN MANNAM enters with recent form reading well and looks a solid placing chance while (2) GEUMA KINGDOM and (4) ELAN are others who can aim for the money.
|Selections||(5) Colorful Joy (9) East Kingdom (11) Sojunghan Mannam (2) Geuma Kingdom|
|Next Best||4, 10|
|Fast Start||9, 11|
Race 11: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
It took (1) LIL’ PATRON six goes to get his maiden breakthrough but he seemed to enjoy it as he followed up immediately with another. That latter one was at this class and distance and he beat three of these in the process. He carries an extra 3kg today, but he can overcome it to complete his hat-trick. (5) BARAMEUL GEURIDA won back to back races in June and July to be promoted to this level. He put in a useful 3rd place last start in a similar strength race to this over 1400M, leading for much of it, and he looks a threat here. (7) CATS MIRACLE has proven himself competitive at this level and should be good for a place while (2) BIG GARLAND and (8) CUPID GUY, the latter up in class, are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) Lil’ Patron (5) Barameul Geurida (7) Cats Miracle (2) Big Garland|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||5, 9, 11, 12|
Race 1: 10, 5, 3, 12
Race 2: 3, 1, 7, 5
Race 3: 3, 1, 4, 7
Race 4: 1, 2, 6, 7
Race 5: 7, 2, 8, 10
Race 6: Class Open – Gyeongnam Governor’s Cup (2000M) KOR G3 –
There are no grounds for opposing (11) SILVER WOLF as she is simply significantly better than anything else in the fillt and mare division. She made a clean sweep of all three legs of the Queens’ Tour last year and while 2000M may not be her optimum distance, she surely has enough to win. The most credible opponent is (5) SKY BAY. She won this race last year (Silver Wolf wasn’t there) and has looked to be coming back to her best having run 2nd to the favourite in the KNN Cup in August. She looked very sharp when winning a trial at Seoul last Friday. (7) COVERGIRL JUSTICE is a stablemate of Silver Wolf and looks to be improving rapidly. This may be a bit soon for her to compete for the win but she certainly has placing claims. (3) YEONGCHEON DERBY and (12) DAMYANG HWANHO are others who can aim for the money.
Selections: 11, 5, 7, 3
Next Best: 12, 10, 6
Fast Start: 2, 6, 7, 10