The weekend’s racing gets underway on Friday at Busan with 11 races from 11:30 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maiden with all but one racing for the very first time. That one, (7) JEONSEOULUI PUNCH didn’t make much impact on debut last month so it’s the first-timers who will be preferred. A few of them look quite handy. (1) TOUCH STAR MAN is the second foal out of Korean Oaks winner Useung Touch. The first, Power Touch, is a winner of three from eight so far and Touch Star Man trialled up nicely in September. (6) MAN OF THE WORLD trialled up slightly better and looks set to be favourite. He’s a half-brother to Brig, a winner of nine races and who is still going round as a nine-year-old now. (2) YEONGSEONG VICTORY and (3) GRAND YEOWANG are others who looked good when trialling up and who can go well first-up.
|Selections||(1) Touch Star Man (6) Man Of The World (3) Grand Yeowang (2) Yeongseong Victory|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 6|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
More juvenile maidens, this time with four of them having raced before. All four have shown a bit of ability. (2) CENTUM BEONGAE was an improved 4th on his second start at the beginning of last month. He’s drawn nicely to be on pace here and should improve again. (6) JEONSEOLUI BULKKOT and (7) FUTURE KING both did nothing wrong on their respective debuts and have firm foundations to build on here while (8) YEONGWON DYNAMO was well back on his second racecourse appearance in August but had previously run 3rd on debut and comes in here after ten weeks off with scope to go better. The one they will all need to beat, however, is a first-time starter. (3) MIRACLE DREAMING looked very sharp in two trials and if he brings that form to the races, could be hard to beat.
|Selections||(3) Miracle Dreaming (2) Centum Beongae (6) Jeonseolui Bulkkot (7) Future King|
|Next Best||8, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(2) POWER WONDERFUL ran 3rd when sent off at long-odds on what was his second start on September 20th. He beat a couple of these in the process and if he runs similarly today, will take some beating. (8) YEONGSEONG BRAVO was 6th in that race, just under two-lengths in arrears, and could prove to be the biggest danger here, likely coming from off the pace. (6) TWO TWO WAY has shown ability in the past and can benefit from the eight weeks she’s had since her latest run. (11) MASEONG KWAEGEOL has shown slight but noticeable improvement over three outings so far and can continue it here.
|Selections||(2) Power Wonderful (8) Yeongseong Bravo (6) Two Two Way (11) Maseong Kwaegeol|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 9|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(3) TWO TWO FAIRY beat two of these on her way to a good 2nd place over this distance in a similar all-filly race to this three weeks ago. She led for parts of that race and today can be leading when it counts. (5) CHEONNYEONUIHEUIMA ran 4th in that race and while she was a full nine-lengths behind Two Two Fairy. She may not overturn that form here but can get closer. (1) ARA MYUNGMA has a 2nd place to her name and comes in following 5th in a stronger race than this. That was back in July and the three months off may be to her benefit. (8) BARAMUI YEOSIN steps up in trip for the first time and could improve while of the two first-time starters, Thomas Gillespie’s (2) FASHION KEY looks the more likely to make an immediate impact.
|Selections||(3) Two Two Fairy (5) Cheonnyeonuiheuima (2) Fashion Key (1) Ara Myungma|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||7, 8|
Race 5: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(3) WILD GERANIUM returned from five months out to run 4th at this distance on September 20th, beating a couple of these along the way. It took her a while to get going that day, but she should have come on for the run and can win here. (6) AFLEET YOUNG has run through the line well in both his two outings so far. Both times he’s been a long way back though so the additional furlong and a half today may well suit. (7) SAEROUN SEUNGJA raced twice without distinction around the turn of the year but looked much better when brought back last month. He too tries the distance for the first time and can benefit for it. (5) KING DOMBO and (8) TWO TWO DAY are others who should be aiming for improvement.
|Selections||(3) Wild Geranium (6) Afleet Young (7) Saeroun Seungja (5) King Dombo|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||7, 8|
Race 6: Class 2 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 90 Million
After all those maidens suddenly a class 2 jumps out at us. (12) CAPTAIN GUY is up in class following a nine-length score over this distance on September 20th. He was 15/1 that day and it was a big uptick in form but he it was a really good performance in a fast time and a repeat can’t be ruled out. (6) YEONGGWANGUI CHAMP comes in having won at class and distance on June 30th, with two of these behind him. He’s been off since and he
will need to go better here but he certainly warrants respect. (3) TAEYANGUI SINHWA steps back up in trip after never really getting going over 1200M last start. That was his third go back at this level having been dropped down from class 1 and he has a chance. (4) DARMA and (11) WORLD NUMBER ONE are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(12) Captain Guy (6) Yeonggwangui Champ (3) Taeyangui Sinhwa (4) Darma|
|Next Best||11, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 9|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(5) TOHAM STAR has two runner-up finishes and a 3rd in three starts since being promoted to this level following a win at this distance in June. He beat two of these last start and looks set to make the running and win here. (2) HIDDEN BOY is up in class having scored by six-lengths over this distance on August 18th. From a wide draw he came from off the pace that day but should be ridden closer today. (12) MAJOR PUNCH ran 4th on her first try at this level on September 1st. She was a good winner the time before that and previously ran 4th behind Toham Star. She has solid placing claims here. (4) DONE IT MY and (6) MAGIC STREET are others who can aim for a money finish.
|Selections||(5) Toham Star (2) Hidden Boy (12) Major Punch (4) Done It My|
|Next Best||6, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 12|
Race 8: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) ZET KING remains a maiden following seven attempts but got promoted to this class following too many near-misses and then ran a very solid 3rd on his first try at it in August. He can set up camp behind the early speed here and won’t have to improve much to make the breakthrough here. (8) USEUNG JIKIMI made his own breakthrough on his latest start, with a front-running win over 1200M at this class. His reward is an additional 3.5 kg on his back, but he should be equal to the task. (5) ANY GOOD DAY had a poor day at the office last time, but she can be given another chance here following a few weeks off. (9) GOP DDA and (10) TOWER CAPTAIN are others to consider.
|Selections||(2) Zet King (8) Useung Jikimi (5) Any Good Day (9) Gop Dda|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||5, 6|
Race 9: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Three of these raced each other at class and distance on September 6th. It was (4) YEONGUNG ILGI who finished the best of them, running 2nd, half a length in front of favourite (3) KING OF BOSS. The latter was making his debut that day and just didn’t kick on at the end. It was, however, encouraging enough to suggest he can overturn the form this time. (1) SOCKS GO was also a beaten favourite on his last start, having run 2nd on debut a month earlier. He was slow to begin and then shifted out abruptly losing considerable ground that he never made up. With better manners in the early stages today, he should be right in the hunt. (8) CURLIN TIME was a promising juvenile last year but hasn’t been seen since last November. He looked competent when trialling at the end of September and while he’ll obviously need this, can go well first up. (9) WINNING AGAIN looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) King Of Boss (1) Socks Go (8) Curlin Time (4) Yeongung Ilgi|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 8, 9|
Race 10: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) REVERSE SWEEP began the year as one of the more promising colts among the here-year-old crop. He had a big setback though and returns to racing here for the first time in eight months. He’s been through a couple of trials in the meantime, most recently last weekend and he looks sharp and in good condition. He’s the pick to make a winning return here. (9) SINBIHAN YEOIN weakened over a mile last start but was a class and distance winner in August and should go close again here. (3) ON DAY similarly didn’t take to 1800M on his latest outing but returns to more agreeable conditions here and will be a threat. (4) FIGHT MAGIC and (5) NORMAL CLASSIC are others with placing claims.
|Selections||(2) Reverse Sweep (9) Sinbihan Yeoin (3) On Day (4) Fight Magic|
|Next Best||5, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 7|
Race 11: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(9) YEONGGWANGUI SECRET was a winner of four of his first six starts, including a Classic Trial, before suffering a setback that saw him out for four months. He’s raced twice since retuning in late July, improving to beat two of these in the most recent of those at the end of August and he’s expected to return to winning ways today. (5) K PLUS WON is up in class following a five-length score over 1300M three weeks ago and should be competitive at this level. (10) U S MAN was a much-improved 2nd in a good race at class and distance on September 6th and can build on it here. (2) BRAVO MARINE and (11) JET DIA are both better than their respective recent form suggests and can aim to place here.
|Selections||(9) Yeonggwangui Secret (5) K Plus Won (10) U S Man (2) Bravo Marine|
|Next Best||11, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 9, 10|