It’s President’s Cup weekend up at Seoul but before that, November’s racing gets underway at Busan on Friday with an eleven-race card from 11:30 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maiden with only four of the twelve having raced before. (3) JEONSEOLUI BULKKOT is set to be firm favourite having run 3rd and 2nd in his two starts to date. He’ll be leading early and it’s hard to see anything stopping him here. Of the others who have raced before, (2) SPRING WALTZ was perhaps the most promising but greater threats should come from the first-timers. (10) JANGMI GONGJU ran 3rd in a trial (eight-lengths behind Triple Nine) in early October while (5) DOCTOR GREY and (7) QUEEN GRACE also hinted at some competence. As every with the debut-makers, watch the market for additional clues.
|Selections||(3) Jeonseoului Bulkkot (5) Doctor Grey (7) Queen Grace (10) Jangmi Gongju|
|Next Best||2, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 8|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
More juvenile maidens here and ten of the eleven are fillies. Four of them have raced before. The slight pick is (4) OASIS GIRL. Having run 4th on debut, she was 6th on her reappearance at the end of September. She was less than a length behind 2nd and this looks to be a simpler task so she could well come out on top today. (3) WONDERFUL SMARTY did nothing wrong when 4th on debut at the beginning of October and can build on that here, but there are some promising first-time starters. (11) MASTER BELLA ran 2nd in a trial on October 5th in a fast time. She’s drawn wide but if she brings that form to the track, then she should go well first up. (9) KKUMEUL NEOMEO ran a fast time in what was a slightly unusual trial and looks to be in the hunt. (2) SIMON LADY was another mature looking trial performer.
|Selections||(4) Oasis Girl (11) Master Bella (2) Simon Lady (3) Wonderful Smarty|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 10, 11|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(8) SMILE WINNER ran an improved 3rd on what was her fourth career start on September 20th. It was her first try at this distance and she can build on it today. The one she’ll need to beat is (5) ACE JACKPOT. She was considered good enough to be allowed to take her chance in the Gold Circle Trophy at the end of September and while she only managed 6th of 9, didn’t run badly. She can run well from the front today. (2) WILD GERANIUM drops back in trip following a couple of useful spins around a mile since returning from five months out in September. (1) CENTER FORWARD and (9) DAESAN GAPBU are others in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(8) Smile Winner (5) Ace Jackpot (2) Wild Geranium (1) Center Forward|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 5|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(2) WORLD TODAY ran 4th on debut over 1000M on October 8th. He started steadily and ran on well and stepping up to 1300M here should be in his favour. He’ll probably be ridden on pace this time and looks the one to beat. (3) WORLD SLAM and (4) RAON FLYING came home 3rd and 5th respectively when they raced each other over this distance on October 4th. Both should be competitive again here with World Slam again
favoured to get the best of their personal duel. (1) NEPTUNE and (5) GASOK BULKKOT are both very experienced which, while not necessarily a good thing in a maiden, does mean they have proven to be able to beat plenty in this kind of company, even if a win is unlikely.
|Selections||(2) World Today (3) World Slam (4) Raon Flying (5) Gasok Bulkkot|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 6|
Race 5: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(9) HANSEN MULGYEOL ran 2nd at this distance at the start of September, earning herself a shot at the Gold Circle Trophy later in the month. She ran 5th of 9 but while she was a long way behind the winner, she was only a length off 3rd and back down at the minimum trip today, could well be the one to beat. (7) BORYEONG JILJU comes in off a close at hand 3rd last start having led for much of the race. He’ll be on pace here again and given he only needs a top three finish for promotion, this should be his last go in class 6. (2) BIG PICTURE debuted in 4th place behind Boryeong Jilju back in August. He’s not been seen since looks to have some potential. (5) TWO TWO FIRE returns for the first time since April and looked relatively sharp in a trial last week.
|Selections||(9) Hansen Mulgyeol (7) Boryeong Jilju (2) Big Picture (5) Two Two Fire|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 9|
Race 6: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(6) MALIBU TAEYANG ran twice around the turn of the year, finishing in 3rd place on both occasions. He’s not raced since January but has come back into Kim Young-kwan’s stable and looked good in a pair of October trials. If he gets off to a good start, he could make a winning return here. (3) RETURN OF SUBSIDY is two starts into a comeback following six months off. He clearly needed the first of those when he ran last, but he improved over a mile last time. He drops back to 1300M today and should be a different prospect. (8) TUSCARORA BILL showed some signs of a return to form with a front-running 3rd place over class and distance three months ago and can build on that today. (1) WINNING POST ran 6th in the same race and he too can get closer here.
|Selections||(6) Malibu Taeyang (3) Return Of Subsidy (8) Tuscarora Bill (1) Winning Post|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6|
Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
The only juvenile in the race, (1) SOCKS GO, ran on well for 4th over 1200M last start having run 2nd on debut back in August. He tries 1300M for the first time and can come from off the pace to score here. It’s a competitive race though. The experienced (3) FIRST SHINHWA enters off a 2nd and a 3rd from his latest two, most recently at this distance, and should be dangerous today while (2) MABEOP CHEOREOM and (5) ECHO NILE both come in with recent form reading well and should be disputing the early lead. (8) KOREA PRINCE ran an improved 3rd in a decent race at this distance on October 4th and looks to be the best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) Socks Go (3) First Shinhwa (2) Mabeop Cheoreom (5) Echo Nile|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 5|
Race 8: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) AMORIS remains a maiden following eleven attempts. She’s finished as runner-up in three of her last four starts though, all of them at this distance, and has every chance today of making the breakthrough. (10) B.K. VICTOR is another who is getting into the habit of finishing 2nd, having ended as runner up in three of seven starts to date while remaining winless. He beat two of these on his latest 2nd place finish back in October 6th and should have 2nd as a minimum target today. If those two come up short again, (5) USEUNG JIKIMI could be one to take advantage. He ran out a winner two starts back over 1200M at this class before running a very close 3rd in a tight finish at 1300M three weeks ago. (1) JIGURYEOK PALPAL and (4) HANBIT TAEYANG, the latter up in class after a three-length score at this distance a month ago, are others with at least placing chances.
|Selections||(8) Amoris (10) B.K. Victor (5) Useung Jikimi (4) Hanbit Taeyang|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7|
Race 9: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) YEONGCHEON JILJU got his maiden win at the third time of asking on October 6th and it was an impressive one. He won by ten-lengths at this distance making all in a fast time and if he can repeat that kind of form today, despite being up in class, he will take some beating. (7) MAJOR HIT got his maiden win at the distance in July before running 3rd on his first try at this class. He hasn’t raced since the end of August looks in with a fair shout of going close here, most likely from off the pace. (2) TWO TWO GREAT was a winner on debut over 1000M three weeks ago. She’s up in class and distance today but looks competitive. (8) LOVE LETTER and (11) ANY GOOD DAY both come in off the back of positive results and can go close here.
|Selections||(5) Yeongcheon Jilju (7) Major Hit (11) Any Good Day (2) Two Two Great|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 9|
Race 10: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(1) KING OF BOSS was an all the way four-length winner over this distance on October 11th. That was just his second career start and while the Speightstown gelding is up in class today, he’ll be favourite to score again. (4) POWER TOUCH has won his latest two to move onto four wins from nine starts and while he too is up in class, there looks to be more to come and he’s the main danger here. (8) DOCTOR CHIC has a 4th and a 3rd in two starts since being promoted to this level and looks good for another place today. (3) CHANGJO DAERO is best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) King Of Boss (4) Power Touch (8) Doctor Chic (3) Changjo Daero|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8|
Race 11: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Competitive handicap to wrap things up. (12) SSONSAL has made steady progress through the levels and arrives in class 2 having won three of seven starts including a good score in a fast time at this distance a month ago. This is naturally tougher but he’s a nice colt and can win again. (8) RAON JEONSEOL was a surprise winner over (10) DAMNYANG TAEYANG as the pair finished 1st and 2nd over class and distance on October 4th. Both should be close again but with Raon Jeonseol carrying an additional 3kg today, Damnyang Taeyang can overturn that day’s half-length deficit. (7) HENNESSY PRIME was well back in that race but came out again two weeks ago to run a useful 4th and can build on that here. The wild card is (11) MAPLE CLASSIC, who returns to action for the first time since a victory in May. He won an October trial in fine fashion.
|Selections||(12) Ssonsal (10) Damnyang Taeyang (8) Raon Jeonseol (11) Maple Classic|
|Next Best||7, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 9, 12|