The weekend’s racing gets underway at Busan on Friday with 11 races from 11:30 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maiden fillies to kick things off with and three of the eight have raced before. Of those three, (7) BEST HAPPY was the best running 3rd of 9 at this distance at odds approaching 70/1 and she’ll be a leading contender here. Of the first-time starters, (1) QUEEN OF THE YEAR won her trial in good fashion two weeks ago and should go well first up while (6) HALLA BIHO ran 2nd in the same heat and she too can begin positively. (8) TRIPLE TIARA is another who caught the eye in her trial, albeit all the way back in June. As ever look for clues from the betting market.
|Selections||(1) Queen Of The Year (7) Best Happy (6) Halla Biho (8) Triple Tiara|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 8|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Maidens again although this time all but one of them have raced before. (9) DAEJI JARANG is the only one of them to have finished on the board so far, running 2nd at this distance back in August. He couldn’t follow up on his reappearance on September 6th, but he got a significant bump at the start which did him no favours at all. He can win this. (3) KKEUTPAN CLOSER races for the first time since July and has hinted at ability in the past, while (4) HANBIT TAEYANG hasn’t done much wrong in two starts so far and could well improve here. (1) DAESAN GAPBU and (6) CENTER FORWARD are others with scope to improve.
|Selections||(9) Daeji Jarang (3) Kkeutpan Closer (4) Hanbit Taeyang (1) Daesan Gapbu|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 9|
Race 3: Class 4 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
The second division of this split maiden. (8) GEUMA CAVALRY ran 2nd on debut on August 4th and the Kim Young-kwan trainee looks set to go one better here. He didn’t begin especially well that day but should have come on for the run and is probably the banker favourite of the day. (2) YES FAIR and (4) TWO TWO LEADS have both offered some evidence of ability, with the latter looking the biggest threat to the favourite here. There are five first time starters. Both (5) SUPER SANTA and (7) SO MUCH GO caught the eye in trials and should go well first-up.
|Selections||(8) Geuma Cavalry (4) Two Two Leads (7) So Much Go (2) Yes Fair|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(8) ECTON STEALTH disappointed last time but steps back up to 1300M today and should get the better of this relatively weak field. He’ll settle behind the pace and should be too strong late on. (7) SUPER GREAT showed significant improvement when 2nd over this distance on September 6th. That was his first start for brand new trainer Son Byoung Jig and he can potentially follow up today. (3) WORLD SLAM ran 5th in the same race and should be aiming to get closer here. (2) DALGI and (9) BORYEONG JILJU are both likely to be on pace from the start and both have claims on at least a place.
|Selections||(8) Ecton Stealth (7) Super Great (3) World Slam (2) Dalgi|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 9, 10|
Race 5: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Nothing enters here in anything resembling form. (5) WONDERFUL HEAT demonstrated some improvement when 6th in his second start back in August. He won’t need to improve too much to be right in this. (10) WILD GUY too has done nothing in his latest two but both races were better than this and he should be much closer here. (4) WONDERFU EI has raced just the once and can build on the midfield finish he achieved. (1) MACH STORM and (6) MAX POWER are others who are capable of beating a few.
|Selections||(5) Wonderful Heat (10) Wild Guy (4) Wonderfu Ei (6) Max Power|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 10|
Race 6: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(9) TIZBE looks to have a bit of class about her and ran a good 2nd on her first try at this class over 1800M in August. She drops back to a mile today, should be close to the speed from the start and she could go all the way. (3) URANUS J and (10) PEACE RIDER also both come in off the back of last start runner-up finishes at class and distance and both should be in the frame here. (11) GWONTOJUNGLAE was a long way back behind Tizbe last time out but is better than that and can get closer this time. (4) MARK ONE is best of a competitive rest.
|Selections||(9) Tizbe (3) Uranus J (11) Gwontojunglae (10) Peace Rider|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 9, 10|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) GOLDEN SHARP has been inconsistent but put in a good performance in 2nd place last start over this distance. He can sit behind the early speed here and challenge late on. (9) NEOLBEUN GOEUL ran a good 3rd at 1000M at the end of August and steps back up in trip with claims to go close. (6) MISS ADELE finds herself up in class having run 3rd in all here of her starts so far. The set of horses who have beaten her are very useful though and she should find little to be intimidated by at this level. Also up in class is (8) BORYEONG HWANHO, in her case following a good win at this distance last month and she too should be competitive. (11) KOREA PRINCE another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(5) Golden Sharp (6) Miss Adele (9) Neolbeun Goeul (8) Boryeong Hwanho|
|Next Best||11, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8|
Race 8: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) HIDDEN SHOTGUN ran well for 2nd on debut just two weeks ago. Bart Rice’s filly makes a swift return here and it could well be a winning one with the additional distance today likely to suit. A winner of two from seven so far, (2) ONE CHANCE is up in class here after a good score over this distance on September 8th. This is tougher but she looks to have solid claims again. (3) BOBAE DREAM has three 3rds and a 4th in four attempts at this level since a win over a mile in May got her promoted. She’ll be there or thereabouts again. (4) WONDERFUL TALE and (5) SEONGSAN POWER came home 5th and 6th when racing each other at class and distance a month ago and both can look to get closer today.
|Selections||(7) Hidden Shotgun (3) Bobae Dream (2) One Chance (4) Wonderful Tale|
|Next Best||5, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 8|
Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Very tricky race. (11) TIME SPEC has been knocking on the door of a third win for a while now. While he was well-beaten by a good winner last start, he still ran a good 2nd and while he’s top weight, he has as much chance as any here. (7) BROWN PIE ran a solid 4th two weeks ago and should be at least matching that today while (9) GRAND YEONGUNG is up in class having won two of his latest three, the most recent of which was at this distance. (2) KING LION is three starts into a comeback following a lengthy absence and can still improve. (5) FIRST SHINHWA returned to some kind of form last start with a runner-up finish and he can build on that momentum here.
|Selections||(9) Grand Yeongung (11) Time Spec (7) Brown Pie (2) King Lion|
|Next Best||5, 8|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 9|
Race 10: Class 3 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(1) WONDERFUL LION has been in very good form in three starts since returning from eight months out. She’s up in both class and distance following an all-the-way win over 1300M on September 6th but neither should be too much of a problem and she can win again. (3) GLITTER has never quite lived up to his early promise. It’s been a long time since his last win, but he always runs in good company and is rarely too far away. He’ll join Wonderful Lion on the early pace and will be a danger. (2) ORYONG and (7) DOCTOR CHIC came home 3rd and 4th when they raced each other at 1400M on September 8th and both should be in the placing hunt here while (4) SAKISAKI is another who shouldn’t be far away.
|Selections||(1) Wonderful Lion (3) Glitter (2) Oryong (7) Doctor Chic|
|Next Best||4, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6|
Race 11: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(2) DAMNYANG TAEYANG enters with recent form reading very well and he’s beaten a number of these over his last couple of starts. He’ll finish strongly and can win this. A 20/1 winner of the Minister’s Cup the final leg of the Korean Triple Crown at Seoul in June, (12) ROCK CHOICE returned to Busan a winner at 1800M at class 3 level the following month. His first try at this class didn’t go to plan, however, as he ran in a disappointing 8th on September 1st. According to his jockey in that race, the fast pace didn’t suit that day so it’s interesting to see him dropped back to a trip where the pace will probably be faster, but he can be a danger. (7) CUBAUI YEOLJEONG was overmatched in August’s KNN CUP but should be better today. (5) PERFECT BOSS and (9) RED CLOUD are others to take into consideration.
|Selections||(2) Damnyang Taeyang (12) Rock Choice (7) Cubaui Yeoljeong (5) Perfect Boss|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 8, 9|