History of a kind will be made at Seoul Racecourse on Sunday when racing over the distance of a mile returns to the capital for the first time in more than thirty years. There are 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 12:40 to 17:05.
While Busan Racecourse, which was opened in 2005, is home to the KRA Cup Mile, the opening leg of the Triple Crown, until now, the configuration of Seoul Racecourse hasn’t allowed for races over the Guineas distance of 1609M. Not since the old Ttukseom Racecourse closed in 1989 – and even there the “mile” races were in fact 1650M – has the distance been available in the city.
That’s all changed with the construction of a dedicated starting chute between the first and second corners which allows for a run-up of just over 100M, and the first pair of races using the new distance will be run on Sunday afternoon. In addition to the mile races there are valuable Juvenile events at both Seoul and Busan.
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(2) GOLD HERO has run 3rd in both starts so far, both at this distance. Her times haven’t been especially fast, but she looks to have improvement in her and won’t need to be much better to win this. (1) POWER PRIDE looks to be figuring things out with 4th places in both his latest two. He has tended to give himself a bit too much to do but has run on well and can find the money again today. (9) DAE YONGWANG too has run well at this distance before and can be competitive here. (3) ROYAL CHUKJE can improve off an inauspicious debut.
|Selections||(2) Gold Hero (1) Power Pride (9) Dae Yongwang (3) Royal Chukje|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|
Race 2: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) TANGO TIME was a good winner on debut, making all over this distance. He’s up in class today but is nicely drawn to get on pace once more and has every chance of repeating. (10) BLUE DAEJAYEON is up in class as well, in his case following a pair of runner-up finishes. He will need to get a bit faster at this level but there’s nothing especially intimidating about this field so he should be competitive. (3) GEOM HONG is similarly up in class despite being winless and returns to action for the first time since January. While she’ll most likely need this, she looked sharp enough in a quick trial two weeks ago. (4) BEST EFFECT is one of those imports who began at class 4 but has found himself down in class. He is competitive at this level and can find the money.
|Selections||(2) Tango Time (10) Blue Daejayeon (3) Geom Hong (4) Best Effect|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7|
Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Having secured her maiden win at this distance in June, (4) CRAZY Q ran 4th on her first try at this level last start. She carries a nice light weight under an apprentice jockey, and she could well be the one to beat today. (5) CHEONGSU BIG EAR finds herself up in class having run 2nd in both her starts to date. She’s up in trip for the first time as well and it may suit. (8) SOLGAEBARAM is up in class having won over 1200M on July 14th. That was somewhat unexpected so she will need to improve but she warrants respect. (10) RAON BRIAN and (11) GEUMSUNI STAR are others to consider.
|Selections||(4) Crazy Q (5) Cheongsu Big Ear (8) Solgaebaram (10) Raon Brian|
|Next Best||11, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8, 12|
Race 4: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) BLACK SPIRIT is a seventeen-race maiden but comes in off an encouraging 3rd place at class and distance on July 20th. Alan Munro knows her well and it’s not impossible that today could be their day. (2) TANTAN WINNER was a touch disappointing on his latest start at the end of last month but is better than that and should improve here. Similarly (4) QUEEN OF CAMP dropped back to 1300M last start and should be better for coming back up to two-turns today. (5) GEUMA SUPREME and (12) PARK BLADE are others who could feature prominently in a wide-open race.
|Selections||(8) Black Spirit (2) Tantan Winner (4) Queen Of Camp (5) Geuma Supreme|
|Next Best||12, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(5) RAYMOND is a two-time winner at this distance including one at this class. He got slightly obstructed in the home straight last time when a slightly disappointing 5th but is the pick to return to the winner’s circle today. (2) RAON KHAN is rapidly up in class having won his latest two. He made all last time and while he will need to be quicker at this level, he can be competitive. (1) STORMY has plenty of class and distance experience and can aim for the places here while (7) JEONGSANG MANSE and (9) MONSTER QUEEN look best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Raymond (2) Raon Khan (9) Monster Queen (1) Stormy|
|Next Best||7, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Competitive handicap here. (6) DONGBANG NARAE has impressed recently, following up her maiden win over a mile early last month with 2nd place on her first try at this class on July 26th, beating a couple of these in the process. She can come from just off the pace and can win again. Her main danger may be her stablemate (4) TIZBE. She secured her maiden victory in fine style last month and looks to be on an upward trajectory with the increased distance today only likely to suit. (7) GWONTOJUNGLAE hasn’t quite lived up to early promise but races for the first times since May and could be interesting here. (10) ONNURI GANGJA is rarely far away and can challenge for the places along with (12) GIPPEUM DAY.
|Selections||(6) Dongbang Narae (4) Tizbe (7) Gwontojunglae (12) Gippeum Day|
|Next Best||10, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(10) EMORY SOCKS has been hovering around the minor money for some time now and while she carries a bit more weight today than in previous outings, that’s because Moon Se Young climbs aboard in place of an apprentice and that may be what she needs to see her back into the winner’s circle. She’ll be kept close to the pace and can win. (5) BLUE FIRE is becoming a 2nd place specialist, having finished as runner-up in his latest three starts. He may find one too quick again. (1) SUPER DOKKI come sin off a 3rd and a 2nd from his latest two and can go close once more. (2) DAEGUN ILGAL and (4) WHIZ RAINIER others in the hunt.
|Selections||(10) Emory Socks (1) Super Dokki (5) Blue Fire (2) Daegun Ilgal|
|Next Best||4, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 10|
Busan Race 3: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(7) SYDNEY MANGCHI has a 3rd and a win from two starts so far and looks to have lots of potential. The Better Than Ready colt was a convincing winner over 1200M last start and while she has to travel slightly further today, she’ll take some beating. Stablemate (9) GIANT’S BIZ perhaps has the best chance of stopping – or at least getting close to – the favourite although (4) BROWN PIE is a capable sort who drops back in trip after a couple of spins around a mile. She’ll be on pace early and in the past has proven hard to get by. (2) TOUGH GREEN and (3) MAN OF THE MATCH others to consider for the minor money.
|Selections||(7) Sydney Mangchi (9) Giant’s Biz (4) Brown Pie (2) Tough Green|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7|
Seoul Race 7: Class 2 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
The first ever race to be run over a mile at Seoul. There is a short run to the corner so it will be very interesting how this plays out. (5) CHEUNGDAM GENIE enters as the form horse having won his latest two over 1400M and 1200M and has three from six in total. He should be able to cope with the additional trip today and can win. (7) M J POWER too enters in good touch. He comes in off a very solid win over 1400M and while up in class should be very competitive. After a great start to his career, (4) JJANG KONG has gone off the boil a bit somewhat and the new distance may be what he needs. (6) HEUNGBOK DREAM stumbled at the start last time out but is a two-time winner over 1800M so has no questions about the trip and should be dangerous.
|Selections||(5) Cheungdam Genie (7) M J Power (6) Heungbok Dream (4) Jjang Kong|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4|
Busan Race 4: Class 3 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(11) MR. AFLEET is a winner of three from four so far and steps up in class after a very nice win over 1300M on August 3rd. He tends to come from off the pace with a strong finish and with the increased distance not looking like a problem he is the pick to win this. (10) IGGYDA is already a winner at this distance, albeit at a lower level. He ran 3rd over 1400M on his first try at this class a month ago and is the main danger. (6) DAEJI CHAMP was an also-ran in the final two legs of the Triple Crown but ran 2nd when back in more amenable company last start and can place again here. (5) BLACK ARROW and (8) DAEHO MYEONGGA others in the frame.
|Selections||(11) Mr. Afleet (10) Iggyda (6) Daeji Champ (5) Black Arrow|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 8: Class 2 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
The second heat of the mile and (1) DARK PLAYER had a poor day at the office last start, weakening late on when well backed over 1800M. His form prior to that though means he needs to be given another chance and the new distance may well be ideal for him. (7) IGYEOJUMA finished 2nd, ahead of Dark Player last time out and is likely to be among the main threats here. While Dark Player will be on speed, Igyeojuma will be finishing strongly. (8) THUNDER BLADE returns from five months out and having trialled up competently two weeks ago, can go well first up. (6) DAE JYUSIN missed the jump last time out and can go better today.
|Selections||(1) Dark Player (8) Thunder Blade (7) Igyeojuma (6) Dae Jyusin|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2|
Busan Race 5: Class Open (1200M) Allowance (2yo only) / KRW 150 Million
Valuable juvenile race. (7) TOP DAY is the only one in the field who is two for two. His wins have come over 1000M and 1300M and he’s looked mighty impressive along the way. His dam is a Korean Derby winner and he’s favourite to win this. (1) DOCTOR CARSON beat three of these on his way to an eye-catching win on debut on July 12th. He pretty much made all and should be a big threat here. (4) SAVE THE WORLD and (13) STAR OREUM also looked very good when registering their respective debut victories. (5) YEONGGWANGUI PARTY was well beaten on debut by three of these but returned to win over 1300M at the beginning of this month and could be the outside pick.
|Selections||(7) Top Day (1) Doctor Carson (4) Save The World (13) Star Oreum|
|Next Best||5, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 4|
Seoul Race 9: Class Open (1200M) Allowance (2yo only) / KRW 150 Million
The first really valuable juvenile race of the year at Seoul. (5) ROLLER BLADE is two for two having won both in fine fashion. The Officer colt looks a big talent and is in-line to be favourite here. There is a big challenger emerging though in the shape of (8) CHOEGANG TEAM. He’s only run once but was a dominant winner over 1000M and the extra furlong today should only be to his benefit. (9) WHITE QUEEN is another who comes in two for two having made all both times over 1300M. (2) TK DAY and (6) K N ROAD are others who have impressed when winning their respective debut races and can go well again here.
|Selections||(5) Roller Blade (8) Choegang Team (9) White Queen (2) TK Day|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 9|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(7) NEW YORK MANGCHI ran out a good winner over 1800M at this class on August 4th continuing a very solid recent run of form. He carries a little more weight today but back in trip is strongly favoured to prevail once more. (1) FINEST WARRIOR beat three of these on his way to 2nd place at class and distance in early July and should be a danger while (5) PASHA and (6) USEUNG LINE came home 3rd and 5th respectively when they raced each other over 1200M on July 21st and both can be competitive here. (4) WHINNY WING and (9) CORE BLADE others to consider.
|Selections||(7) New York Mangchi (1) Finest Warrior (9) Core Blade (5) Pasha|
|Next Best||4, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 7|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) O.K. DAY was a very handy winner over this distance on July 7th, continuing the very promising start he’s made to his career. He is up in class here but comes in fresh and can win again, likely making all. Plenty of others enter in good form though. (3) GANGHWA CHONGGAK has won plenty of money at this level and looks good for at least a place again while (7) DAE BYEONHWA is similarly on a streak of placings. (8) DAEGUN POWER is rapidly up in class having won two of his first four outings and looks to have potential for more. (9) MAGPIE has almost identical form and is another right in the mix in a great looking race.
|Selections||(2) O.K. Day (3) Ganghwa Chonggak (9) Magpie (8) Daegun Power|
|Next Best||7, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(10) MORFHIS is truly showing he belongs at the top level with very strong recent form, beating a number of these along the way. He was a strong 3rd over 1800M last start and drops back in trip here looking the one to beat. (11) GANGTOMA a disappointing 6th behind Morfhis when favourite last start but can better dropped in trip today. (8) CHEONGDAM JEWANG and (9) OP SEVEN are both proving themselves competitive at this level and ran 4th and 2nd respectively when they raced each other at class and distance on July 20th. (6) JANGSAN WILD is up in class but was a good winner at this distance on his latest start and could be an interesting outsider here.
|Selections||(10) Morfhis (11) Gangtoma (8) Cheongdam Jewang (9) OP Seven|
|Next Best||6, 1|
|Fast Start||6, 5, 9, 10|