We’re now just over two weeks out from the third running of the Korea Cup & Korea Sprint and we’ll begin the build-up to those two international races this coming Monday (there is a lot to talk about). In the meantime, this weekend’s racing kicks off with a 9-race Friday card at Busan from 14:30 to 21:00. Jockey You Hyun Myung starts the weekend with 999 career winners:
Race 1: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) USEUNGUI PARANGSE is one of a number up in class here and while she is winless, she’s been 2nd in both her two starts so far, both times behind decent horses and last time in a fast time behind an excellent winner. She’ll be leading early here and can go all the way. (2) NEW QUEEN is another maiden, in her case after fifteen attempts but recent form reads very nicely and she has solid claims to go very close here while it’s a similar story with (1) MORNING BRAVO, who has been knocking at the door for some time and should be a factor. (7) MAEPSI COLOR was a class and distance winner last time and should be respected here while (8) BEAUTIFUL MARINE and (9) STOLEN BEAUTY are others in the hunt in what is a competitive opener.
|Selections||(5) Useungui Parangse (2) New Queen (9) Stolen Beauty (1) Morning Bravo|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5|
Race 2: Class 4 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Imported maidens here comprising of juveniles and a couple of southern hemisphere three-year-olds. That pair have raced before although neither with any distinction so it’s the first-timers who we’ll focus on. (1) CLINCHER looks the most likely winner. He went through two trials in good fashion and if he brings that form to the races could well be hard to beat. (2) HUNCH and (4) TWO TWO LEADS also put in useful trial efforts and can go well first up while the Kim Young Kwan trained pair of (3) GEUM A CLASSY and (9) SOCKS GO are bound to attract attention with the former looking the more likely to make an immediate impact.
|Selections||(1) Clincher (2) Hunch (4) Two Two Leads (3) Geum A Classy|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||7, 9|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(4) GRAND JILJU and (5) PERDIDO ROCKET came home 5ht and 6th respectively when they raced each other over 1300M on July 26th. Today’s company looks more amenable for both of them and back at the minimum distance here, Perdido Rocket is favoured to overturn the form. Grand Jilju still looks to be the biggest danger but there is likely to be a challenge from (3) BEAUTIFUL KOREA, who is inconsistent but capable on her day and ran a good 4th at this trip last start. (6) CHODONG DAEJANG too has been up and down but can find the money in this company while (10) HWANGGEUMBITMASAENG come in off a decent 2nd place last start and can challenge for the places again.
|Selections||(5) Perdido Rocket (4) Grand Jilju (10) Hwanggeumbitmasaeng (3) Beautiful Korea|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||5, 6|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(4) PARTY LION returned from three months off to run a good 3rd over 1300M on July 19th. It was a big improvement on his opening two efforts and he can continue to make progress here. (10) WILD GUY was a touch disappointing last start when 7th but his form prior to that was strong and he can be a threat today. (11) KING DOMBO did nothing wrong when 4th on debut last month and looks to have solid potential to improve here. (2) WONDEFUL SUPAH has also shown development across his latest two starts and should be looking for a place finish here. (8) ALPHA KING best of the rest.
|Selections||(4) Party Lion (11) King Dombo (10) Wild Guy (2) Wonderful Supah|
|Next Best||8, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 10|
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) WONDERFUL COUNTRY won on debut on June and has finished runner-up in both efforts to date at this class. He came up slightly short when odds-on favourite last start but should make no mistake today. It took (12) THE FACT fifteen goes to get his maiden win but he proved it was no fluke by following up with a 2nd place on his return three weeks ago. The wide draw won’t be a problem and he can go close again. (5) HAPPY GATE was 3rd behind Wonderful Country on his latest start. He has lots to make up on the favourite but should beat plenty himself. (2) LOVE LETTER enters with recent form reading well and has placing claims while (8) ONE CHANCE similarly has a decent chance of matching her latest two outings, both of which have finished in 3rd place.
|Selections||(1) Wonderful Country (12) The Fact (5) Happy Gate (2) Love Letter|
|Next Best||8, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 5|
Race 6: Class 4 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) GIJEOGUI JEOKTOMA came back up to this distance to run a good 2nd on July 26th. Coming from off the pace with a strong finish. He can do similar today and this time can go one better. (4) DOCTOR WEEK is up in class after a good win on a sloppy track over 1300M a month ago. He’s run at this distance before and should be competitive today. (8) EL DRAGON is up in class too, in his case having won at this distance three weeks ago. He (more…)