There are 11 races in Seoul on Saturday from 14:00 to 21:00. Quite a few of the year’s top three-year-olds will be in action including Minister’s Cup runner-up Myeongpum Chukje and Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup winner Clear Geom. It’s the penultimate Saturday of night racing for this summer. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(5) CAPTAIN BEST has shown improvement across three starts so far, coming home in 4th place over 1200M last start. He drops back to the minimum trip today and looks to have strong claims to make the breakthrough here. (3) DASHING CANOE and (7) CLEAR STORY finished 2nd and 3rd respectively when they raced each other over 1300M on July 21st. For Dashing Canoe, it was a big uptick in form whereas for Clear Story it was just her second career start. Both can go close today, but Clear Story is the more likely to improve. (6) HANSEN BLADE and (8) SPECTOR QUEEN are others with placing claims.
|Selections||(5) Captain Best (7) Clear Story (3) Dashing Canoe (6) Hansen Blade|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 7|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(3) RED SUN is the one to beat here. Simon Foster’s gelding only managed 3rd when favourite on a wet track a month ago but showed enough to suggest a win isn’t too far away and it should arrive here. (1) FASTEST has been anything but across eight efforts to date but ran a solid 3rd last time under Alan Munro and the pair can place again today. (8) CARROT SEEKER hasn’t shown much in terms of speed but has a handful of minor money finishes to his name and he can get another one here. (5) CHEONSE MANSE, lame last start, and (6) FIRST THUNDER best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) Red Sun (1) Fastest (8) Carrot Seeker (6) First Thunder|
|Next Best||5, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 8|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(4) PEACE OF RULES has shown improvement across three starts to date, culminating with 2nd place last time. She’s well drawn to get on pace from the start and she’ll be very hard to beat here. (2) FEDERAL QUEEN looks the main danger. She jumped awkwardly and lost ground last time out but still rallied for an improved 4th and she can build on that today. (5) TRUE RUBY and (6) KOOKA CAT have both hinted at some ability and both should be looking for the respective best starts to date here. (8) BAEKDU GEOPO another one in the frame.
|Selections||(4) Peace Of Rules (2) Federal Queen (6) Kooka Cat (5) True Ruby|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 8|
Race 4: Class 4 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens here with all but two of them having raced before. (6) STRETTO looks the one to beat having run 2nd on a sloppy track over 1200M last time. The additional half furlong today may be just what he needs to get in front. Both (7) LUCKY BEOPJEON’s two starts so far have been at 1000M but he’s run through the line well both times and is another who may appreciate the step up in trip. (1) FEDERAL KING too showed improvement on his second start on July 20th and will be interesting to see over further today. (3) DAEHYEONG HOJAE and (5) MEOTJIN GEUMSEONG both did nothing wrong on debut and can improve here.
|Selections||(6) Stretto (7) Lucky Beopjeon (1) Federal King (3) Daeheyong Hojae|
|Next Best||5, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 9|
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) JEONGJOUI KKUM got his maiden win at the fourth attempt in fine fashion on July 14th. He’s up in class here but looks to have little to fear and from the inside gate should be close form the start and potentially lead all the way. He’ll be a warm favourite. (6) AUSPICE beat a couple of these on his way to 4th place on his first try at this level over 1200M last month. He weakened a touch late on and should be better back at the minimum today. Also dropping back in distance is (8) NEUL PUREUN CAT, in his case after a solid 2nd place over 1200M and he too should be a danger. (3) QUEEN FORCE ONE and (7) KAHINAH are others in the frame.
|Selections||(1) Jeongjoui Kkum (6) Auspice (3) Queen Force One (7) Kahinah|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6|
Race 6: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Tricky race this comprising unraced imports, maidens locally bred runner with two wins for twenty-six starts. We’re going to go out on a limb and pick a first-time starter. (2) HWANGGEUM LUCKY, a colt by Constitution looked extremely competent when winning a trial at the end of last month. Moon Se Young is booked to ride, and he has every chance of seeing off modest opposition. (1) MUNHAK BOSS ran well for 5th on debut and can build on that today while (12) DOLGYEOK APEURO drops back significantly in trip after 3rd place over 1700M last start. (5) AMERICAN BELL and (10) FASHION PEOPLE are others to consider.
|Selections||(2) Hwanggeum Lucky (1) Munhak Boss (12) Dolgyeok Apeuro (10) Fashion People|
|Next Best||5, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) KING OF RULES ran well for 2nd over 1200M on July 27th. That was his first go at class 5 and while he remains a maiden, he looks to have a win in him and today could well be the day. (4) DAEHAN CHAMP raced most ungenerously last time but still managed to finish 2nd at class and distance. If he fixes his manners today, he’ll surely go close. (5) PRIMA NIKE ran a useful 4th on her first try at this level a month ago and can build on it today. (3) IL MARE and (9) LOVE RACE are others who look capable in what is quite a decent race for the level.
|Selections||(1) King Of Rules (4) Daehan Champ (5) Prima Nike (3) Il Mare|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 9|
Race 8: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Absolutely wide-open handicap. (1) HWANGPYOMA has as good a chance as any having beaten a couple of these on his way to 3rd place at class and distance on his latest start. The Jimmy Creed colt looks to be getting better and can get to the front from the inside and lead all the way here. (5) GEUMA ANNUITY has finished 2nd or 4th in each of his last fiver outings. He’s yet to win and that may continue today but he shouldn’t be far away. (6) MOONHAK EKATI hasn’t done much wrong in three starts so far and still has scope for development. (3) LIAM’S MOONEY and (11) CHEMI BLUE others with claims.
|Selections||(1) Hwangpyoma (5) Geuma Annuity (6) Moonhak Ekati (11) Chemi Blue|
|Next Best||3, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 9, 11|
Race 9: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) GAON FORCE ran 3rd in Seoul’s Classic Trial before ending as an also-ran in the KRA Cup Mile and Korean Derby. True, he weakened having led on his return to regular company at the end of June, but he is much better than that and is worth another chance today. (8) DAECHEON VOW ran 3rd on her first go at this class last time out. The concern with her is that all her best work has been at 1000M, but she may be ready for another crack at further today. (3) MY HAWK was a 13/1 winner at class and distance on a sloppy track on July 28th. He carries an additional 3kg today but can’t be completely ruled out. (4) ACE TRIPLE and (5) KAILLUM YEOJE are others with claims.
|Selections||(9) Gaon Force (8) Daecheon Vow (3) My Hawk (4) Ace Triple|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6|
Race 10: Class 3 (1900M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Seven of (8) MYEONGPUM CHUJKE’s last eight starts have been in Listed or Graded races, including all three legs of the Triple Crown, with his best finish being 2nd in the Ministers’ Cup at 2000M. Distance appears to be what he needs and the 1900M today should suit. (6) BODEURAM steps up to 1900M for the first time off the back of runner-up finishes at this level over 1800M and 1700M and she should go close again. (7) BARAMEUL GEURIDA steps up in both class and significantly in distance as he seeks a hat-trick of victories and he can be competitive. (1) ELAN and (3) WONDERFUL EVIL are others capable of finding the money.
|Selections||(8) Myeongpum Chukje (6) Bodeuram (3) Wonderful Evil (7) Barameul Geurida|
|Next Best||1, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 9, 11|
Race 11: Class 3 (1900M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
A surprise winner of the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup, (6) CLEAR GEOM backed that up by winning on her return to action over 1700M on July 27th. Today’s distance should suit her perfectly, the weight she carries is still comfortable and she should win. (2) FIGHT TODAY is up in class and distance following a fine win over 1700M last month and can be a danger while (1) JOUNIGA comes in off two solid performances at this class over 1800M and should go close as well. (5) CHEONGDAM TIGER and (8) BENEDICT will both need to find improvement but shouldn’t be out of their depth here either.
|Selections||(6) Clear Geom (2) Fight Today (5) Cheongdam Tiger (1) Jouniga|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 8|