Graded Stakes action returns to Korea this Sunday with the running of the KNN Cup (KOR G3), the second leg of the Queens’ Tour, at Busan where Silver Wolf will be the star attraction and hot favourite. Before that, however, the weekend’s racing gets underway with a nine-race Friday program on the South Coast from 14:55 to 21:00:
Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(6) PARADISE KING has run 3rd in both starts so far, the latest at this distance. His times haven’t been anything special, but he looks to have potential for improvement and is the one to beat here. (11) HIDDEN BOY is clear second choice. He disappointed slightly last time when well supported but has a couple of decent showings to his name over this distance and while he’ll need to overcome the wide draw to get forward, should be a factor. (5) TAMNA LIST was a little under par last start but has had over two months off since then and returns here with claims to go closer. (4) MYEONGGA DAERO and (9) USEUNG JIKIMI, the latter a big improver last time, are others with placing claims.
|Selections||(6) Paradise King (11) Hidden Boy (5) Tamna List (4) Myeongga Daero|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||6, 9, 11|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens here with only five of the twelve having raced before. There were high hopes of (3) YEONGCHEON JILJU when he debuted at the end of June. He’s a half-brother to a Korean Derby winner and a handful of other talented race winners and had trialled up well. While he only managed to finish 6th that day, weakening late on, he should have come on for the run and be given another chance here. Conversely, little was expected of (2) FINAL DREAM on his first go in July but he defied odds in excess of 120/1 to come home 2nd and he needs to be taken seriously today. (1) DAEJI JARANG was solid enough first-up too and can improve here. Of the debut-makers, (11) CENTUM BEONGAE was fastest in trials and can go well here while (9) HANSEN MULGYEOL is another that catches the eye.
|Selections||(3) Yeongcheon Jilju (11) Centum Beongae (2) Final Dream (1) Daeji Jarang|
|Next Best||9, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 11|
Race 3: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) NAEGA SAEGANGJA came close to making all over 1200M when up against some useful types over 1200M on July 12th. He drops back to the minimum distance today and from a good draw, can get on pace early again and stay on this time. Main danger is (12) GOOD TREND, whose latest form does indeed indicate a good trend. He ran a good 2nd over the distance last time on a sloppy track and another runner-up finish should be a minimum requirement here. (1) MACH RANGER ran well last time for a slightly unexpected 2nd and can place again here. He’ll have competition for that from the likes of (8) JIGURYEOK PALPAL, who was 3rd behind Good Trend last time out, and (9) TIME TOGETHER, up in class following a maiden win at the distance on July 26th and who should be competitive at this level.
|Selections||(4) Naega Saegangja (12) Good Trend (9) Time Together (8) Jiguryeok Palpal|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 12|
Race 4: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Small field of weak maidens and a very tricky puzzle. We’ll go with (5) CASTEL CORE, who stepped up to this distance for the first time last start and ran a decent 4th in a creditable time on a sloppy track. He could be the one who has the most potential for improvement in him. (1) GASOK BULKKOT was much improved at this distance last time and looks to be the main danger. He’ll go back at the start but will plod on and should pass plenty. (6) LISTEN TO ME is another who has put in a decent time at the distance – albeit on a wet and fast track – and can place here. (7) TWO TWO HAMMER and unknown quantity (8) SIMON DREAM are others who could compete for minor money.
|Selections||(5) Castel Core (1) Gasok Bulkkot (6) Listen To Me (8) Simon Dream|
|Next Best||7, 4|
|Fast Start||5, 7|
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Very even looking race here with a number looking to have similar chances. (12) SEONGSAN POWER was a winner over a mile in a very fast time (even bearing in mind the conditions) on July 19th. She carries an additional 3kg today but drops back in trip and despite the wide draw, should be firmly in the hunt for another win. Speaking of fast times, (2) GAMDONGUI SUNGAN achieved that when 4th at this distance the same day. That came on the back of a 2nd place in more ordinary conditions in June and he should be a factor today. (1) ANY GOOD DAY has finished no worse than 4th in five starts so far and still looks to be on a upward trajectory. (5) DARK TEMPLAR and (9) ETERNAL TRON both come in after 2nd place finishes on their respective latest starts and both have claims on another place today.
|Selections||(12) Seongsan Power (1) Any Good Day (2) Gamdongui Sungan (9) Eternal Tron|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 12|
Race 6: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(12) HANSEN DREAM looked an outstanding prospect when winning his first two outings in dismissive fashion. He found himself rapidly up in class and also in distance to 1400M for his third attempt, however, and ended up 2nd. This is quite a hot race too, but he can return to winning ways here. (5) POWER TOUCH was beaten into 3rd when strong favourite last time. He’s another with plenty of talent and who can also be given another chance today. (2) FOREVER NINE drops back in trip after a good 2nd over a mile on his first try at this class a month ago and should be aiming for another place while (1) FINE TRUMPET also made a good start to life at this level with a decent 3rd last time and should be in the hunt here as well. (11) YEONGGWANGUI FIGHT, racing in more amenable company today than in recent outings, looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(12) Hansen Dream (5) Power Touch (1) Fine Trumpet (2) Forever Nine|
|Next Best||11, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 12|
Race 7: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(8) BOBAE DREAM comes in having run 3rd in both her latest two outings, both of which were over a mile. She’s up to 1800M for the first time today but it should suit, and she could well come out on top today. (10) POWER AMAZING too steps up to two turns for the first time and he can improve on recent efforts. (3) SUPERSTAR JOHN is better than her record of one win from twenty-nine attempts suggest. She comes in off back to back 3rd place finishes, both over a mile and can add to her not insubstantial prize money haul here. (4) RAON POWER is another who tackles 1800M for the first time with all his recent assignments having been over a mile. Richard Oliver partners him for the first time and they could go close. (2) BARAMUI YAKSOK was a 60/1 winner last time out and while lightning probably won’t strike twice, he can be given more respect today.
|Selections||(8) Bobae Dream (4) Raon Power (3) Superstar John (10) Power Amazing|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 10|
Race 8: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(5) GLITTER was an also-ran in all three legs of this year’s Triple Crown, with 4th place in the Cup Mile his best finish. He ran well for 2nd though last start at class and distance and really, up against this calibre of opposition, should be retuning to the winner’s circle with the minimum of fuss today. (1) B.K. GAMBOL is up in class having won his latest two, both at a mile. He takes on 1800M for the first time today and looks to be the most credible danger to the favourite. The rest are solid if unspectacular campaigners and any of (2) BAENGMANDORI, (6) GYEONGJUUI DUREBAK and (8) ADELEUI JINJU are capable of making the places.
|Selections||(5) Glitter (1) B.K. Gambol (2) Baengmandori (8) Adeleui Jinju|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5|
Race 9: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(1) HIDDEN STAR left his jockey in the gate two starts back but then returned to run a good 3rd at class and distance on July 26th. From the inside, he can get on pace early and has as much chance as any in a competitive field. (9) MUJEOK YEONGUNG was a good winner at this class over 1200M on July 14th and while he’s up in trip here and also up 3kg in the weights, he can be a big danger here. So too can (7) YEONGSEONG ACE. He’s up in class but has a good turn of foot and is very nicely in the weights here. (3) PERFECT BOSS and (11) DUBAI TEUKGEUP look the best of a competitive rest.
|Selections||(1) Hidden Star (9) Mujeok Yeongung (7) Yeongseong Ace (3) Perfect Boss|
|Next Best||11, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 9|