Sunday sees racing at both Seoul (11 races from 10:45 to 18:00) and at Busan (6 races from 12:40 to 17:05). Feature races are a pair of class 1 staying events over 2300M in the capital and 2200M on the South Coast. Here are the previeews (Busan selections below):
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(2) INDEPENDENCE came from off the pace to register a career-best 2nd place on March 17th, running on well when dropped back to this trip. He’ll be favoured to score here. (8) SEOUL MAGIC similarly scored on his return to this distance on March 30th, beaten in to 2nd at long odds by a good winner. That was a big uptick in form, and he can aim to repeat from the front under the same apprentice rider. (3) JIOBANA can perhaps have a line drawn through her latest having been bumped around at the start but ran well the time before and can come under consideration. (10) WANSEUNG MUPAE and (11) ANYANG LEOPARD come in off promising runs last start – the latter despite being later found lame – and either could run into a place here.
|Selections||(2) Independence (8) Seoul Magic (3) Jiobana (11) Anyang Leopard|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 8|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(2) CUPID CHOICE has been getting closer across five starts so far and was 2nd in a quick time over this distance on April 6th. From gate 2 she should be well positioned to come through strongly and go one better here. (7) PRIME QUEEN was a touch disappointing when favourite in a similar race three weeks ago but previously showed ability at this distance and can be given another chance today while (4) COMPLETE MOTION hasn’t shown an awful lot in the way of speed but did improve with 3rd last start and can continue to progress today. (1) CHEONJI POKPUNG and (12) JEONGSANG STAR are others to consider.
|Selections||(2) Cupid Choice (7) Prime Queen (4) Complete Motion (1) Cheonji Pokpung|
|Next Best||12, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 11, 12|
Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Small filly-only field but it’s competitive. (6) SINGGEUREOUN TIME, the latest out of one of Korea’s most successful broodmares, is the likely favourite having followed up her maiden win in February with a runner-up finish on her first try at this class on April 7th. Both were at this distance and she can come from off the pace to mount a strong challenge ger (1) TAP LINE is yet to win in three starts but finds herself up in class today after three near-misses. Alan Munro takes the mount for the first time and she looks nicely in here. She’ll be expected to be on pace alongside (4) LUCKY SOCHEON, who came home behind (2) AMARONE last time. Both of those two should be in the hunt as well.
|Selections||(6) Singgeureoun Time (1) Tap Line (2) Amarone (4) Lucky Socheon|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 4|
Race 4: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(9) INGRAN QUEEN looks as though she is finally figuring things out and rana solid 3rd over 1300M four weeks ago. She drops back in trip here and with Moon Se Young riding for the first time, this could be her day. (11) SAMAE JILJU should appreciate stepping back in distance too here. She’s run well on all three of her previous tries at it and if she can get forward early from a wide draw, should have a chance. (5) BIG PRO didn’t really recover from some jostling at the start on his latest effort but has had over two months off since then and can go better today. (2) WONDERFUL HEELS and (12) BLUE MEGA ELLA are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(9) Ingran Queen (11) Samae Jilju (5) Big Pro (2) Wonderful Heels|
|Next Best||12, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 11, 12|
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) MISTER HERO returned from six months off on April 6th to make what was just his third career start and it ended very well indeed as he recorded an eye-catching eight-length win. He is up in class today but with a good start once more, has every chance of backing up. (7) SA SA comes in off the back of a 3rd and a 2nd from her latest two efforts, beating a couple of these in the latest of the, and she should be a danger here while (2) THANK YOU MOTHER’s form reads similarly and she should go well from a nice draw. (4) ROYAL SHALOM is up in class after a somewhat unexpected maiden win last start and looks equipped to be competitive at this level. (5) CHOEGANG STAR returned from five months off in April, running a solid 5th which he can build on today.
|Selections||(8) Mister Hero (2) Thank You Mother (7) Sa Sa (5) Choegang Star|
|Next Best||4, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 8|
Race 6: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens and (3) BIG CLASSIC is set to be strongly favoured to make her breakthrough here. After finishing 3rd on debut, she was slow to begin and raced a touch ungenerously when 5th of 12 on her re-appearance at the end of March, but once she got going, she ran on really well and should thrive on the additional furlong today. It’s hard to see her getting beaten but (1) CUTIE BARBIE ran well for 4th last time and is another who may appreciate a longer trip here while (8) COILRO unseated his jockey last time through no fault of his own and may improve. There are two debut-makers and of them, (7) YEONGGWANGUI BEAT looked well in a trial three weeks ago and can play a role first-up today.
|Selections||(3) Big Classic (1) Cutie Barbie (8) Coilro (7) Yeonggwanui Beat|
|Next Best||10, 9|
|Fast Start||8, 9|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) TANTAN WINNER is up in class having registered his maiden win on his fifth attempt on March 30th. It was over this distance and it’s not impossible he could follow up against what is quite ordinary company. (8) SEUNGRI LIKE is similarly up in class and while he perhaps has a little bit more to find, he can be competitive as well. The primary dangers are those with experience at this level though. (2) DAEHAN ILPUM comes in after a creditable 6th of 10 in a better race than this last month and can go close while (5) GEUP HANG MA blew the start last time but is a class and distance winner and can’t be ruled out.
|Selections||(7) Tantan Winner (2) Daehan Ilpum (5) Geup Haeng Ma (8) Seungri Like|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7|
Race 8: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) SENSE JAENGI ran 2nd at class and distance on April 6th and while he was beaten four-lengths by a good winner, it was a stronger race than this and he could go one better today. It’s wide open though. (4) GLADIATORE AAA races for the first time since beating Sense Jaengi on his way to 3rd place in another useful race at this distance on March 3rd and should be in the hunt here too. (9) GANGHWA CHONGGAK, however, enters with arguably the most convincing recent form. The Korean-bred led almost all the way at this distance last start only to go down by less than a length on the line. He’ll be on pace again and could go all the way this time. (6) POP STREET is up in class after an unexpected score at 1200M at the end of March and can be competitive while (8) LITTLE BOY FLASH is another with solid placing claims.
|Selections||(9) Ganghwa Chonggak (4) Gladiatore AAA (5) Sense Jaengi (6) Pop Street|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 9|
Race 9: Class 1 (2300M) Allowance / KRW 110 Million
The Grand Prix Stakes distance of 2300M is unchartered territory for all but three of these and among those tackling it for the first time, it may suit (1) NASCA PRINCE the most. Consistently close since reaching class 1, the additional couple of furlongs could be exactly what he needs to make his breakthrough at the top level. He’ll be on pace early and will try to lead all the way. (5) K.N BLUE makes his class 1 debut here having scored an easy seven-length win over 1900M in March. Although the company is stiffer here, he’s another for whom the distance should suit, and he can play a big role – most likely joining Nasca Prince on the early lead. Similar is (8) GEUMBIRANG, also a good winner at 1900M last time and taking on both class and distance for the first time under a nice weight and with claims. (6) CHANMA and (9) GUTONGSA, who came home 3rd and 4th at this distance in February, are others who may be considered.
|Selections||(1) Nasca Prince (5) K.N Blue (8) Geumbirang (9) Gutongsa|
|Fast Start||1, 5|
Race 10: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(11) BRILLIANT weaved his way through traffic to score a very good win at this class over 1300M in March before running 4th at the same distance four weeks ago. He’s back up in distance today and while his latest attempt at it didn’t go well, he looks ready for another crack. (2) BEST VICTORY and (7) WONDERFUL LUCKY came home in 4th and 5th with just a nose separating them at class and distance on April 7th and both should be competitive here while (1) DONG JAK has had a couple of poor days at the office lately but shouldn’t be written off yet and can improve here. (4) STRONG CAPTAIN beat a couple of these on his wat to 5th at class and distance on March 31st and can match or better that here.
|Selections||(11) Brilliant (2) Best Victory (7) Wonderful Lucky (1) Dong Jak|
|Next Best||4, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 10|
Race 11: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(5) INCHEON CHIEF won back to back races at class 4 in January and March before being scratched from a scheduled start in the TJK Trophy three weeks ago die to a mild colic. At his best, he should win this. (9) CLEAN UP SECRET drops back in trip for the first time in a long time following some good efforts at further. He’s a front-runner and could thrive here. (10) TAP FASHIONED was just beaten a neck when 2nd over this distance three weeks ago and will be a danger here, as will (8) JANGSAN BEARS, 4th who was 4th that day and has subsequently been very quick in a trial. (11) SAMSEONG DONGHANG looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Incheon Chief (9) Clean Up Secret (8) Jangsan Bears (10) Tap Fashioned|
|Next Best||11, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 9, 11|
Race 1: 2, 8, 7, 6
Race 2: 10, 7, 6, 2
Race 3: 2, 1, 9, 5
Race 4: 3, 5. 4, 1
Race 5: 4, 14, 5, 13
Race 6: 12, 7, 3, 6