Cheongdam Dokki defends his YTN Cup crown in the main event of a busy Sunday’s racing (11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 12:40 to 17:10). Seoul’s top rated horse races up and comer Moonhak Chief as well as New Legend, five from six in Korea, in the showpiece race over 2000M.
Cheongdam Dokki is set to be prohibitive favourite for the race although New Legend’s only defeat in Korea so far came at a sprint distance in the Busan Ilbo Cup last month. Although Korean-bred, he began his racing career in the United States. On his only previous try at today’s distance, he demolished the rest of the field although this time, the company will be significantly stiffer.
Baekmunbaekdap, Moonhak Chief and the ever-reliable Shamrocker are among others expected to compete for at least the placings. Here is the horse-by-horse preview for every race at Seoul and Busan on Sunday. The YTN Cup is race 9 at Seoul.
Seoul Race 1: Class 5 (1000m) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
- FINAL STORM – Ran through the line fairly last start when trying to lead throughout. The four-year-old will be suited by the five furlongs once again. Each way chance.
- GREEN Y – Has finished well back at all four starts this preparation. Prefer others.
- SMART DREAM – Demoted to Class 5 company after numerous poor performance in tougher company. Hard to suggest.
- GOLD SEUTAK – Twenty-eight start maiden who hasn’t looked threatening for quite some time.
- YEONGWONHAN SUNGAN – First run since December last year. Place chance at best first up after running some handy performances last preparation in similar company.
- JEOKTO BIMA – Class 6 winner two starts back and followed it up with a five length defeat last start when finishing seven lengths behind Super Yeowang. Can figure with the right run.
- GEUM STAR – Third career start for the Clear Attempt filly. Saluted at her first run and then beaten over thirteen lengths when stepping up in Class 5. Missed the start last time out and will benefit if she can get out of the gates in quick fashion.
- EOMJI YEOWANG – Eighteenth career start looking for her second win. Performed well for Alan Munro last start when coming from the tail to finish second. Each way chance.
VERDICT: From the inside barrier (1) FINAL STORM will get every opportunity to steal this race. He looks as if he can run a strong enough 1000m that they may struggle to catch him. (8) EOMJI YEOWANG responded to the riding of Alan Munro last start when closing strongly. (7) GEUM STAR can figure if she jumps away cleanly. (6) JEOKTO BIMA looking to bounce back.
|Selections||(1) Final Storm (8) Eomji Yeowang (7) Geum Star (6) Jeokto Bima|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 6|
Seoul Race 2: Class 5 (1300m) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
- INDIAN ECO – Been well tried in this company and has struggled to figure of late. Drops back to the 1300m which appears to assist her chances however this looks tough.
- SILVER LION – Hard to suggest on her twenty-one start career to date. The five-year-old has managed to finish in the top three on three occasions. Rough place chance.
- DURI – Six start maiden who has hit the line strongly at her past few starts. 1300m ideal.
- HANSEN BAROWS – Speedy type who should ping the gates and work forward early. Much improved effort last start and should not be discounted.
- CHANGSEONG GANGJA – Dropped back to the 1300m last start when beat by a big margin. Prefer others.
- BUCKETFUL GOLD – Racing well and looks one of the main chances engaged. Finished fourth last start in similar company when beaten six lengths. Runs prior were good including a second and a win in Class 6 company. Keep safe.
- DAEHAN ILPUM – Sent out at a short quote his past couple of starts and disappointed on both occasions. Needs to improve.
- STRIDE UP – Looks a good chance for new jockey Ryan Curatalo. Disappointing last time out when missing the kick and struggling to recover on a muddy track. Runs prior were promising. Has to overcome 57kg.
- GOD OF SOCKS – Has finished well back in recent runs and hard to make a case for in this event.
- CHACACHACACHA – Yet to place from eight starts. Hard to suggest.
- ROYAL TANK – Nineteen start maiden who will most likely struggle from an outside gate.
- K. GUNJU – Broke through at his third career start when leading throughout over the 1300m. Expect Park Eul Woon to bustle the three-year-old out of the gates and get on speed.
VERDICT: (4) HANSEN BAROWS has improved of late and is normally competitive in this class. (12) P.K. GUNJU may prove hard to run down should he find the lead from the outside gate. (8) STRIDE UP was racing well prior to last start when missing the jump. (6) BUCKETFUL GOLD appears an each-way chance.
|Selections||(4) Hansen Barows (12) P.K. Gunju (8) Stride Up (6) Bucketful Gold|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300m) Special Weight C / KRW 40 Million
- MANSEOK JIGI – Resumed last start when finishing fifth in muddy conditions. Should hold a position in the first half of the field.
- SPADE MASHIE – Stepped up to the 1700m last start where he appeared to struggle to run through the line strong. Drops back to the 1300m where he has shown some good form. Each way chance.
- FAMILY PARK – Ran through the line better than some last start but would need to improve to figure.
- SUHO – Well fancied last start but disappointed when only managing to finish sixth. Previous runs were strong enough to fill a place. Keep safe.
- SOARA HEUKJANGGUN – Produced a fast sectional to finish fourth last start over the 1300m. Previous runs have been one paced.
- DOUBLE DUNDAS – Second career start in this event after finishing well back on debut. Looks safely held.
- EAGLE EYE – Debut was fair when finishing fourth and overcoming a wide gate. Expect improvement at her second start.
- HUSH DAEBO – Testa Matta colt making his debut for trainer Jeon Seung Gyu. Finished third in a moderate time. Moon Se Young rode in the trial and retains the ride which may be a good lead.
- HWANGGEUM DOYAJI – Eye-catching run last start when coming from the tail to finish third. Step up to the 1300m will suit the three-year-old.
- JAENEUNG CHUNGMAN – Third start for the Colors Flying filly after a good effort to finish third last start behind Running Box. Lim Gi Won to be legged aboard.
- CITY SONGAM – Debuted last start when sent out unwanted by punters. Managed to finish midfield and one that may improve with more racing experience.
VERDICT: (9) HWANGGEUM DOYAJI appears one that will appreciate the step up allowing her to wind up. (2) SPADE MASHIE is aided by a good gate and did not see the 1700m out strongly last start. The 1300m will suit. (10) JAENEUNG CHUNGMAN has the services of polished hoop Lim Gi Won. (4) SUHO can bounce back after a poor performance.
|Selections||(9) Hwanggeum Doyaji (2) Spade Mashie (10) Jaeneung Chungman (4) Suho|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7|
Seoul Race 4: Class 4 (1300m) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
- FIORE – Has been struggling to figure in races of similar strength. Would need to improve to figure.
- GEUMSEONGHWANGJE – Solid start to the three-year-old’s career winning two from six starts along with a handful of places. Ran second behind Nimui Hyanggi last start in similar company. One of the main chances.
- BEYOND OVER – Back marker who leaves herself too much to do come the top of the straight. If she can sit closer she can be considered an each-way chance.
- DAEGIL SANGJON – Has struggled since entering Class 4 company. Alan Munro has his first ride on the four-year-old. Needs to improve.
- YEOKDAE CHOEGO – Sensational win last start in Class 5 company when running on from a midfield position. Featherweight of 52kg puts him right in this race.
- ISCRA – Antonio Davielson has his first ride on the four-year-old. Punters have sent him out at short quotes his past few starts but has struggled to figure. Do not discount but needs to find a few lengths to place.
- SOMETHING NOBODYNO – Korean bred who has started off his career in good style. Promoted to this company after successive places in Class 5 company. Expect to sit on speed but will find this harder. 1300m should suit the three-year-old son of Simon Pure.
- SUPER YEOWANG – Another progressive type who is firing early on in her career. Has led at all three starts to date this preparation. Steps up in grade but has taken all before her so far.
- SIMON RICH – Looks safely held in a race full of speed.
- HANEULUI STAR – Lightly raced five-year-old who is having his third start this preparation. Ran second when resuming over the 1000m and then midfield at his second start back. Place chance.
- JILPUNG GANGJA – Went through the lower grades with ease but has found this type of company tougher. First time stretched out to the 1300m and needs to improve to figure.
- TIAGO TOUCH – Has previously won in Class 4 company and should be respected in this event with just 54kg. May be forced to settle rearwards from the gate.
VERDICT: (2) GEUMSEONGHWANGJE looks right in this with the good draw. Showed last start he can prove competitive in this grade. (5) YEOKDAE CHOEGO looks to be suited by the 1300m. (7) SOMETHING NOBODYNO is progressive and one to follow. (6) ISCRA is an each-way chance based on what we’ve seen from him to date.
|Selections||(2) Geumseonghwangje (5) Yeokdae Choego (7) Something Nobodyno (6) Iscra|
|Next Best||3, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200m) Special Weight B / KRW 40 Million
- BLACK SPIRIT – Looking to break maiden status at start fifteen. Produced a better performance last time out when second behind Songam Barbie. On the two-week back up and drops back to the 1200m.
- SABA KINGDOM – Finally drawn an inside gate after a run of wide barriers. He led throughout when he broke maiden status five starts back in Class 6 company so look for Johan Victoire to be positive out of the gates. Form of last has been poor and needs to improve.
- WINNER SAY – Henny Hughes filly who broke through for a 2.5L win last time out over the 1000m in Class 6 company. Showed improvement last start to win and should be kept safe once again.
- GENERAL ROSE – All three career starts have been encouraging including a win in Class 6 company. Stepped up to the 1300m last start and accounted for herself well when fourth behind Udaeryung.
- KAHINAH – Broke through for her maiden win last start when Moon Se Young was legged aboard for the first time. Won by a nose last start and this looks tougher. 1300m suits.
- WANY K – Hard to suggest on recent form when well beaten in events similar to class of this race. Prefer others.
- SOBAEK YEONGJU – First time beyond 1000m this preparation. Found himself midfield last start and ran on well to finish fourth. Each way chance.
- EAGLE SKY – Fifth run this preparation. Placed at big odds last time out with just 51kg on his back. Has to carry 56kg in this event as he steps back up to 1300m and looks a hard task.
- ACE ZAPPER – Dropped back to Class 5 company four starts back and has still struggled.
- FIRE – Been quite some time since we have seen an encouraging performance from him. Looks safely held here.
- WINNER CROWN – Broke through two starts back when sent out by punters at a short quote. Followed his win up with a midfield finish in Class 5 company overcoming a wide gate. No easier today.
- WONDERFUL HENNESSY – Has speed to burn and should work forward early on from the outside gate. Been gobbled up in the home straight at her past couple when managing to hold on for a place.