May’s racing kicks off on Friday at Busan where there are 9 races from 11:30 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
A filly-maiden to begin with (2) KAHEKILI ran a very solid 2nd on debut a month ago and Peter Wolsley’s filly looks very much the one to beat on reappearance today. She led for much of that race and should do so again and is this time unlikely to be caught. (7) VEGA THUNDER is the danger, having beaten four of these on her own debut the same day. She started at odds of 90/1 that day but will be given much more respect this time. (10) MILLION BEAT was 3rd in that same race and can build on it here while (9) QUEEN OF ADELE and (11) YEONGGWANGUI KISS are others who have shown improvement recently and could go close.
|Selections||(2) Kahekili (7) Vega Thunder (11) Yeonggwangui Kiss (9) Queen Of Adele|
|Next Best||10, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 10|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
A maiden for three-year-olds with five of the twelve racing for the first time. (7) YEONGGWANGUICHEON debuted all the way back last June and looked very promising running in a 2nd and a 3rd from 2 starts. He then had some setbacks but returns here having looked very good in an April trial and if he can bring that form to the races, will have a serious chance first-up. (8) GRAND YEONGUNG ran an improved 3rd at this distance on his own return from three months off and can continue to improve here while (3) HUSE JEWANG and (11) AUTO SONIC are others with scope to get better. The one they’ll need to beat though is one of the first-timers. (6) HANSEN DREAM looked very capable in trials, is drawn well to get on pace from the gate and could well make a successful start.
|Selections||(7) Yeonggwanguicheon (6) Hansen Dream (8) Grand Yeongung (3) Huse Jewang|
|Next Best||11, 10|
|Fast Start||6, 7|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(8) EVER CHAMPION ran 4th on debut at this distance on March 22nd. He was beaten ten-lengths by a good winner but showed enough to suggest he can be winning sooner rather than later and looks the one to beat here. (7) TITLE CODE returned from four months off to run a solid 4th at the end of March and looks set to go better here, while (11) SPICE ROCK and (6) MAX POWER came home 3rd and 4th respectively when they raced each other at this distance three weeks ago and both can aim to at least match that today. (2) SUNDAY GLORY raced five times last year without success but returns here after five months off looking in good shape following an April trial win.
|Selections||(8) Ever Champion (7) Title Code (2) Sunday Glory (11) Spice Rock|
|Next Best||6, 5|
Race 4: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Not the strongest of maidens here and that makes (9) DOCTOR MIMI a warm favourite to make the breakthrough. She’s run well at this trip in the past and steps back up following a good 3rd over 1300M last start. She’s not a front-runner but shouldn’t be too far away and can win. (11) ALBERT KING was beaten by Doctor Mimi when they raced each other over this trip at the beginning of March, but he too comes in having run well when dropped back in trip last time out. He’ll come from off the pace and finish strongly. (12) RINGING FLYING was 4th behind Albert King on his latest start and can go close again while (1) EL DRAGON and (10) POWERFUL PIT are others in the frame.
|Selections||(9) Doctor Mimi (11) Albert King (12) Ringing Flying (10) Powerful Pit|
|Next Best||1, 6|
Race 5: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) RAPIDO MAN is a winner of two from four so far and is up in class following his latest score which was a comfortable victory over 1300M on April 14th. He’s up in distance to a mile for the first time too but there’s no reason why it shouldn’t suit, and he can lead from the start. (6) BRAVE KINGDOM too takes on a mile for the first time. He registered his maiden win at this class over 1300M last month and can be a threat here. (5) CURLIN FANTASY is yet to win in thirteen attempts but has done his best work at this distance, just missing out by a nose in February, and should go close again. (4) GRAY STORM and (7) OXALA are other potentials.
|Selections||(9) Rapido Man (6) Brave Kingdom (5) Curlin Fantasy (7) Oxala|
|Next Best||4, 12|
Race 6: Class 4 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) TRUE VALOR has won his latest two in fine fashion to rapidly move up two classes. They came at 1300M and 1600M so he’s up in distance as well, but there’s no reason why he can’t keep his streak going here. (11) FIRST VICTORY beat a couple of these on his way to a class and distance win in February and while he was beaten into 3rd when favourite at a mile on his latest start, he should be a danger. (5) CHIEF LEADER too has already proven himself accomplished at class and distance with a good 4th in a similar race to this three weeks ago. (6) ADELEUI SIN and (8) JEONGSU SIDAE are among others who should find themselves competitive in this company.
|Selections||(1) True Valor (11) First Victory (5) Chief Leader (8) Jeongsu Sidae|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||7, 10|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) DOCTOR WEEK had a poor day at the office when sent off as favourite over 1300M on April 12th. That came off a front-running win at the same distance to get his maiden win in March and with a much better draw today, can be given another chance. (5) TRIPLE GOLD was among those who finished ahead of Doctor Week that day in what was a big uptick in form. He can be given more respect here although a bigger danger is likely to be (7) BROWN PIE. A winner of one from four so far, she was 2nd on her first attempt at this class at the end of March. All her prior starts have been over 1000M so she’s up in trip for the first time and should be right in the hunt. (8) NEW JACK SWING was a good 2nd at class and distance just two weeks ago and backs up quickly with a good chance of a repeat while (11) HARVEST GOLD looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Doctor Week (7) Brown Pie (8) New Jack Swing (5) Triple Gold|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||6, 7|
Race 8: Class 2 (1900M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Only eight runners but a really competitive race. (4) CHALLANHAN MISO has won five of his ten starts to date and comes up in class following a good win over this trip on April 12th. He certainly has a bit more to find here but has good potential and is very nicely in under a light weight. (1) DYNAMIC ROOKIE is the one he needs to beat. He made all when winning at class and distance a month ago and looks similarly nicely in today. (8) MAJOR ALPHA backs up quickly from a solid 3rd place at class and distance two weeks ago while (3) SMART PRINCE and (6) VANJEFE are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(4) Challanhan Miso (1) Dynamic Rookie (8) Major Alpha (6) Vanjefe|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 5|
Race 9: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) SMART MOD showed a nice turn of foot to register his maiden win on just his second start on April 5th having run 2nd on debut a month earlier. He’s up in class and distance today but should have too much. (5) BANJIUI YOJEONG has an identical record and she too comes up in class. She perhaps has a little more to find but has nothing to fear in this field. (10) HOPEFUL SIMON and (12) MONEY BLACK HOLE are both experienced at this level and have solid claims to get on the board while (4) MACH RANGER is another who could go close.
|Selections||(1) Smart Mod (5) Banjiui Yojeong (10) Hopeful Simon (12) Money Black Hole|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||5, 7|