There are 11 Sunday races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 12:40 to 17:05. The feature race is the Ilgan Sports Trophy at Seoul where Sharp Kaylan, 2nd in the final leg of the Triple Crown last month, has the chance to pick up a piece of silverware. Immediately after the last race at Seoul, the KRA Trophy at Kranji in Singapore will be shown . Three Korean horses, Today, Gakbyeolhan and Approach, have made the trip over. Here are race-by-race comments for the Seoul meeting. Busan selections (and one for Kranji) are below:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(3) GYEONGGUKJIMA ran a strong 3rd in a good time on debut on June 16th, racing on pace throughout. She’s well drawn to lead early and should make all the running in this all-filly maiden. (5) HEUNG OREUM debuted in the same race, ending in a creditable 5th and she can build on that here although she has plenty to find on the favourite. (7) LUCAS was also 3rd on her debut last month and while she was slightly less impressive than Gyeonggukjima, she can at least match that here. First-time starter (4) DANGDAE SONYEO looks an interesting proposition under Manoel Nunes while (9) STAR LIST beat a couple of these on her way to an improved 3rd on her fourth career start four weeks ago.
|Selections||(3) Gyeonggukjima (7) Lucas (5) Heung Oreum (4) Dangdae Sonyeo|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 7|
Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(7) HANIL DALBIT has shown promise across four prior starts. His best finish came when he was just beaten a neck over the distance at the end of April having led almost until the line. Last time out he was favourite and while he could only manage 4th, is worth another chance here. (2) SOKBO WANGWI was 6th that day on her first try at this distance and she can continue to progress. (6) SANTOS has been inconsistent but has shown some talent and can be a danger most likely challenging Hanil Dalbit for the early speed. (3) DAEGIL SANGJON offered few clues in two outings last year but returns here after ten months off having trialled up very promisingly a couple of weeks ago and can go well first-up. (9) BEST LEVEL was a much-improved 2nd, albeit a full thirteen lengths behind the winner, at this distance on a soaking wet track three weeks ago and could maintain that momentum.
|Selections||(7) Hanil Dalbit (6) Santos (3) Daegil Sangjon (2) Sokbo Wangwi|
|Next Best||9, 11|
|Fast Start||6, 7|
Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
A convincing winner over 1000M in May, (4) PALDO DAEJANG stepped up to this class and distance on June 17th and ran a good 2nd place. He was favourite that day but can be given another chance here. He’ll try to get the lead straight from the gate and can go all the way. (7) HAMBAK MISO won on debut back in March and has been close in all three outings since, culminating in 2nd place behind Penetro at the end of May. He comes in here reasonably fresh and should be close again. (2) RAON PRO SENSE is up in class after his maiden win at 1000M on June 23rd and while he has struggled on both previous tries at this distance, could go better today. (3) DUAL CHOEGANG remains a maiden after sixteen attempts but looks to be getting to grips with this level and could make a place.
|Selections||(4) Paldo Daejang (7) Hambak Miso (2) Raon Pro Sense (3) Dual Choegang|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 4|
Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) UNDEFEATED won on debut in May but hasn’t quite lived up to his name in two starts since although he has run well, finishing 2nd and 3rd at 1200M and 1000M respectively. He’s with a new trainer today and tries this distance for the first time and can return to winning ways. (1) ROYAL PRINCE scored his maiden win at 1000M and steps up in class here. He’s raced reasonably well at this distance before and can be competitive. (7) DAECHEONUI SARANG ran a good, if slightly unexpected 3rd at class and distance last start four weeks ago and can be given more respect today while (8) CHUKBOGUI YEOLMAE and (9) WINNER SPIRIT should both be in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(5) Undefeated (1) Royal Prince (7) Daecheonui Sarang (8) Chukbogui Yeolmae|
|Next Best||9, 2, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7, 9|
Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) CHOM NIA was a convincing all the way winner at this class over 1300M on June 17th. She’s up to this trip for the first time but has a good draw to get to the front from the gate and can win again. (7) RACE BEATER has beaten a couple of these in his latest two and drops back in trip from 1700M at which his last three starts – including his solitary victory – have been. He’ll likely be ridden close to the speed and has a chance. (4) DUMANGANG was one of those beaten by Race Beater last time and can get closer today while (2) JEONGSANG MANSE and (9) JANGSAN JEGUK are others who should be in the mix.
|Selections||(3) Chom Nia (7) Race Beater (2) Jeongsang Manse (9) Jangsan Jeguk|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5|
Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) GLOBAL KINGDOM has won his latest two at 1000M and 1200M respectively to come rapidly up in class here. He made all for a very competent looking win last time and while this is a much tougher ask, he looks strongly in the frame to make it a hat-trick. (3) SARYEONI DREAM is a big danger. He was 2nd on his first try at this level three weeks ago and drops back in trip from 1700M today. He can be ridden patiently here and finish strongly. (2) BAEKSAN GUNJU also steps back in trip for his second class 4 start. He handled 1700M slightly less well than Saryeoni Dream did and should be better today. (4) MIRACLE HANSEN enters following a class and distance 2nd and should be going close as well while (11) MAGIC ROAD, like Global Kingdom a winner of two from four starts to date, tries further than the minimum distance for the first time and can’t be completely ruled out.
|Selections||(3) Saryeoni Dream (9) Global Kingdom (4) Miracle Hansen (11) Magic Road|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 9, 11|
Race 7: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Interesting race that brings together some experienced locally-bred runners with some inexperienced imports. One of those experienced ones, (2) MACHA BUCHA, beat one of the inexperienced ones (5) CRAZY FACTOR, as the pair came home 2nd and 3rd at this distance on June 30th. They could well find themselves battling it out for top honours this time with Crazy Factor, for whom that race three weeks ago was his debut, having every chance of overturning the form. (6) ARGO ROCKET won her first two before running 3rd on her first try at this level on June 23rd and can at least match that today. (7) GANGCHONUI BYEOL returned to winning ways when dropped back down to this trip last month and will be firmly in the hunt once more trying to lead from gate to wire. There are a couple of debut-makers and (1) JJANG KONG trialled up nicely behind an experienced horse back in May and could be interesting first-up here.
|Selections||(7) Gangchonui Byeol (5) Crazy Factor (6) Argo Rocket (2) Macha Bucha|
|Next Best||1, 8, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 6, 7|
Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) DREAM INDY has raced six times and has never been any worse than 3rd. True, he’s only won one of those, but it was at this distance and last time out on June 23rd, he beat three of these on his way to 2nd place. He likes to lead and may well get an uncontested one here, with solid claims to go all the way. (1) JEULGEOUN HAMSEONG ran a close 3rd behind Dream Indy in that June 23rd race and will be one of the main dangers here while that day’s 4th place-getter (10) SPEED IS KHAN can challenge as well. Dream Indy isn’t the only one with a habit of finishing runner-up. (7) ROAD KING has been 2nd in both his latest two and should be nearby at the business end of the race once more. (11) GANGSEO EUTTEUM is up in class having won his latest two, both at this distance and while there is plenty to find today, is not without a chance.
|Selections||(4) Dream Indy (7) Road King (10) Speed Is Khan (1) Jeulgeoun Hamseong|
|Next Best||11, 8, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 10|
Race 9: Class Open (1800M) The Ilgan Sports Trophy (Listed) / Allowance / KRW 200 Million
- TAMNA KING – Three 2nd places around two-turns at class 4 but struggled on first attempt at class 3 and has a lot to find.
- BIG TRIO – 2nd at 1900M last time at class 2 and should have the beating of plenty. Stable is in phenomenal form this month.
- LEAD MONEY – 4th among the five of these who raced in the Sports Chosun Cup weakening late on. The drop back to 1800M should suit more.
- ARGO FLYING – Solid class 2 campaigner. 6th of 12 over the distance last start and can beat a few but is among the outsiders.
- SARYEONI HEALING – Recent form middling at best. Will likely go right back at the start and look to pick off some late on. Jockey booking will tempt some.
- JEJUI HANEUL – 2017 Oaks winner beat four of these on her way to 2nd in the Sports Chosun last month continuing recent uptick in form. Can go close.
- DAEJANGBAK – 4th in the Sports Chosun and beaten by plenty of these over 2000M back in April. Plenty of form to overturn.
- NASCA PRINCE – 3rd in the Sports Chosun, three lengths behind Jejui Haneul. Won at class 3 over 1900M the start before. Should be close to the pace and can aim for better tan 3rd this time.
- SHARP KAYLAN – A revelation in the Minister’s Cup, the final leg of the Triple Crown, leading until the closing stages and ending up 2nd. Strong favourite to go out into the lead again and this time not be caught.
- GEOMBIT GANGJA – Listed winner last year before suffering a setback and not racing for ten months. Two starts into his comeback and yet to show the same ability.
Verdict: The way (9) SHARP KAYLAN ran in the Minister’s Cup makes him favourite here. He’ll be on the early pace and can run away from them in the home straight. (6) JEJUI HANEUL has been up and down since that Oaks win last year but ran on very well for 2nd in the Sports Chosun last month and can be a threat although back at 1800M today, (8) NASCA PRINCE could overturn that form and be a danger. (2) BIG TRIO and (3) LEAD MONEY look to be best of a competitive rest.
|Selections||(9) Sharp Kaylan (6) Jejui Haneul (8) Nasca Prince (2) Big Trio|
|Next Best||3, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 8, 9|
Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(4) SPEED JOY got his maiden win at the fourth time of asking on June 17th, striking by six-lengths at 1400M. He gets bumped up to two-turns for the first time of day but there is every indication it should suit, and he’ll be expected to be at the front right from the start. (12) MALIBU BULPAE enters off a good 4th in a valuable race over 1400M at the beginning of June. He also has a 2nd place to his name at this class and distance and should go well here. (8) ARGO AWESOME beat three of these on his way to 3rd place at the distance on June 3rd and will be dangerous here too. He led for much of that race and will challenge Speed Joy early. (2) WANGUI DAERO and (5) DAEGUNHAM others in the frame.
|Selections||(4) Speed Joy (12) Malibu Bulpae (8) Argo Awesome (2) Wangui Daero|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8, 9|
Race 11: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
Class 1 but with a maximum upper-rating of 110 which allows some up and comets to face off against each other for top honours. (11) WINNER GOLD has won six of eight so far and last time beat four of these on his way to his first class 1 success at this distance. He’s very lightly weighted today and can win again. (4) MOONHAK CHIEF has won five of nine and can hardly be faulted for his 6th place last start, which was in the YTN Cup behind the likes of Cheongdam Dokki and Clean Up Joy over 2000M. The Pioneerof The Nile colt still looks to have scope for improvement and has a big chance here. While Winner Gold will look to get to the front right from the gate, Moonhak Chief can be ridden more patiently. (2) OP SEVEN is another up and comer and while he hasn’t found class 1 easy, finishing 5th behind Winner Gold last time, he still has scope for improvement. Among the older ones, (3) BRIGHT CAT and (8) THEME DEUNGGEUK look best.
|Selections||(4) Moonhak Chief (11) Winner Gold (2) OP Seven (3) Bright Cat|
|Next Best||8, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 11|
Race 1: 3, 10, 8, 5
Race 2: 2, 11, 10, 8
Race 3: 2, 4, 5, 11
Race 4: 9, 8, 4, 1
Race 5: 1, 2, 9, 4
Race 6: 9, 6, 3, 4
Race 8: 12, 1, 4, 2 😉