There is a heavyweight rematch in the Owners’ Cup (Korea Group 3) at Busan this Sunday as Silver Wolf and Power Blade face off once more having run 1st and 2nd in the Busan Ilbo Cup earlier this year. This time it’s at a mile and they’re joined by other big-hitters Doraonpogyeongseon and I’m Your Father as well as up and comer Mighty Ssing in what is set to be one of the races of the summer. There are 5 races at Busan from 12:40 to 16:20 and 12 at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00.
(Update 9/29 – It emerged on Sunday morning that on Saturday Power Blade fractured his proximal sesamoid bone in his right foreleg and has been scratched from the Owners’ Cup and retired from racing)
Cheongdam Dokki was entered in the race but ultimately did not travel, to Busan. Full previews of every race in Korea on Sunday (and horse-by-horse of the Owners’ Cup) is below:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(2) DONGHAE SILVER was an improved 2nd over 1200 M last time, leading for much of the race before getting overturned in the closing stages. She drops back to 1000M today and can continue here progress. (3) SUN QUEEN ran a promising 2nd on debut over this distance behind Sagwarang, who went on to run 3rd at a higher level last weekend. She was a 70/1 shot that day but will get a bit more respect based on that and looks the main danger. (5) SKY JUMP also looked encouraging on debut, running 4th of 8 on a very wet track at the star of this month and can make progress here. (4) I’M HAPPY and (6) BLESSING ROAD look best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Donghae Silver (3) Sun Queen (5) Sky Jump (4) I’m Happy|
|Fast Start||2, 6|
Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(5) TAURUS run a good 2nd on debut at this distance on July 1st and the stars looked aligned for his maiden win here. (4) MAPAEBONG ran an improved 5th place in that race, his best in three outings so far and he could well prove to be the main danger today. (3) HYEONGMA PUBU keeps on being well backed and keeps coming up short although she should be looking to at least match her career-best finish of 3rd here. (6) MEGA CITY showed some glimpses of talent when finishing 3rd at odds of 90/1 last time. He’s been off since April and is a bit of an unknown quantity here. So too is first-timer starter (7) JJANGDAE but he trialled up competently enough earlier this month and must be given a chance of a place in this limited company.
|Selections||(5) Taurus (7) Jjangdae (4) Mapaebong (3) Hyeongma Pubu|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 6|
Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) HADALRAE is up in class after getting his maiden win at the third time of asking on June 30th. It was at this distance and he made all on a wet track. He’s well drawn to get on speed again and can win again. (7) SHAR NAO and (1) HANSEN BAROWS came home 4th and 6th respectively when they raced each other on July 1stover 1700M and both drop back in trip today. Both are likely to challenge the favourite for the early lead and can go close here. (6) DONGTEUL TTAE has raced just the once this year and is a bit of a wildcard but has won at the distance and could go well. (8) SKY BIG remains a maiden after twenty-eight attempts but ran well for 3rd at class and distance on a wet track last time and could repeat.
|Selections||(5) Hadalrae (7) Shar Nao (1) Hansen Barows (8) Sky Big|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7|
Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) MASYA remains a maiden but acquitted herself well on her first try at this level having been promoted following a narrow defeat over 1000M at class 6 in May. She ran 4th of 12 at 1200M, running on nicely at the end and has as good a chance as any of winning here. (8) AMARONE was 2nd last start at 1200M, albeit beaten five-lengths by Geuma Thunder. Her solitary win came at this distance back in January and she’s another who can finish strongly. (1) JIGONG JEIL began well but quickly weakened when sent out at this distance on June 24th. It was her first outing in three months and first at this level and she can go much better today. She’ll likely be on the early speed and be joined by (4) HAETSAL WANGJA, who has plenty of experience at this level and can benefit from Manoel Nunes aboard today. (6) COMPLETE HIGH looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Masya (8) Amarone (1) Jigong Jeil (4) Haetsal Wangja|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 4|
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Another wide open race with plenty in the hunt. After several near-misses, (1) JUNGLE BEAT finally got his maiden with plenty to spare over 1000M three weeks ago. He’s up in class today and up to 1200M for the first time but he can win again. (11) SOMETHING MYSTERY and (8) WOOSEORA ICHEON are both up in class having finished 1st and 2nd at this distance on June 23rd and both should be competitive at this level. As for those who already have class 4 experience, (5) JEONGSANG MUJEOK is already a winner at this level and steps up in trip for the first time following a 2nd place over 1000M a month ago while (6) INCITATUS came home a creditable 5th in a decent race on a wet track at the beginning of this month and can get closer today.
|Selections||(1) Jungle Beat (5) Jeongsang Mujeok (6) Incitatus (8) Wooseora Icheon|
|Next Best||11, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 5, 11|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) VICAR BLADE got his maiden win over 1300M at the second time of asking two weeks ago and backs up quickly here. He’s up in class and once more marginally in distance but (more…)