Saturdays from now until the first weekend of September will be afternoon and evening meetings so Saturday racing at Seoul sees 11 races from 14:00 to 21:00. There’s little better than a few early evening refreshments under the Seoul Racecourse lights!
Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Small field to begin and it’s a weak one at that. However, that means plenty are in the hunt. (2) SPHAERA and (6) SKY STORM look most likely to show some improvement. Both have offered glimpses of some ability across their small amount of starts so far and have a great chance to make their breakthroughs here. Sphaera is likely to get the better start and is slightly favoured. (5) EVERYTHING WIN has looked everything but a winner in her seven outings but managed 5th of 11 in a better race than this in May and can challenge here. (1) BEST BOBAE and (3) DALLYEORA SOKBO others who could improve.
|Selections||(2) Sphaera (6) Sky Storm (5) Everything Win (3) Dallyeora Sokbo|
|Fast Start||2, 7|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(4) SURFING POINT has been knocking at the door for a while now and though she was beaten four-lengths into 2nd when favourite a month ago, she looks the one to beat in this all-filly contest. (6) CLEAN FLOWER is the main danger having beaten two of these on her way to 2nd at the distance last start and she is likely to be on pace here. The two beaten that day were (9) HALLA DAERO and (2) NEUL SAE ACHIM and both those could improve this time. (7) GOLD SEUTAK races for the nineteenth time today and while she is yet to finish in the top three, she comes in following back to back 4th places and can aim to match here.
|Selections||(4) Surfing Point (6) Clean Flower (9) Halla Daero (2) Neul Sae Achim|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||6, 9|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
For two-year-olds only hence the enhanced prize money. One of the eight has raced before, (2) HANEULEUL DALRIDA, who was well-backed on debut three weeks ago on the strength of a good trial performance. He only managed to finish 8th but should have come on for the run and will be expected to improve here. With that in mind, it is perhaps advisable to take trial performances with a pinch of the proverbial but (1) CLEAN UP TRIO impressed when winning his and will be backed first-up. (6) GOLD PARTY came through a slow heat but looked competent enough while both (7) KING N I and (8) WONDERFUL EVIL also both showed enough to suggest that they can be considered too.
|Selections||(1) Clean Up Trio (2) Haneuleul Dalrida (8) Wonderful Evil (6) Gold Party|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3|
Race 4: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) MONEY DAERYUK was a four-length winner at the distance on what was just her second start, beating Surfing Point, who we saw in race 2. She’s up in class here but should be on pace from the start and can go close. (2) YAHO STRONG CAT has raced well in each of his latest three, all of them at class and distance. He was only 5th last time but is better drawn to get on pace here and will be a threat. (1) PRIMO was well-beaten by Yaho Strong Cat in April but ran a very solid 2nd at the beginning of June and can go well again. (3) SARYEONI THUNDER and (5) DOUBLE A are others who can be considered for improvement.
|Selections||(4) Money Daeryuk (2) Yaho Strong Cat (1) Primo (3) Saryeoni Thunder|
|Next Best||5, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7|
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) MIR PARK could only manage 3rd when favourite at class and distance on June 2nd, leading for much of the race but weakening late on. She looks to have more wins in her though and can go to the front again here, this time staying on. (8) STRONG MAN seemingly lost his way a little in the spring but showed signs of a return to form when an improved 5th in a stiffer race than this last month and can continue his revival here. (6) NAEGA KKEUTPANWANG got promoted to this class despite never finishing better than 3rd. He’s continued to be competitive at this level and while again, he will likely find a couple to be too quick, can make the prize money once more. (1) DOUBLE GOLD and (7) JI SEONI are others in the frame.
|Selections||(3) Mir Park (8) Strong Man (7) Ji Seoni (6) Naega Kkeutpanwang|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6|
Race 6: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) JANGSAN WILD won two of his first three starts and was 2nd in the other to be rapidly promoted to this class. He was favourite for his first crack at it on a soaking wet track on May 13th but only managed to come 4th. He’s had a couple of months off since and looks well worth another chance here. (11) KING EXPLOIT enters having run 2nd and 3rd in his first two tries at this at this class. He can overcome a wide draw to get close to the early pace and will be a danger. (1) AMENDA finished 6th behind King Exploit last time but is better tan that and can get closer today. Like Jangsan Wild, (8) CHEONHA JEWANG comes in after two months off. He has two 3rd places to his name at this class, the latest of which was at this distance and he can be considered. (2) RAON PRIMER is up in class having got his maiden win over 1200M a month ago. He’ll challenge for the lead early and can go close.
|Selections||(9) Jangsan Wild (11) King Exploit (1) Amenda (2) Raon Primer|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 9, 11|
Race 7: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(6) GANADORA is up in class having won at this distance at the end of May to secure her maiden victory at the seventh time of asking. It wasn’t a strong race, so she will need to find more but the I Want Revenge filly should be in the hunt again. (7) ORANGE SOCKS was prominent in the early stages on her first try at class and distance three weeks ago before ultimately weakening but she can be given another chance here. (4) CITY CHAMP remains a maiden after nineteen tries but enters with recent form at this distance reading well and he should go close – he may even be favourite. (5) ROYAL BOKSUNI has been going a little cold of late but may benefit from Manoel Nunes in the saddle today. (1) JANGSAN EAGLE, the only one of these not to have raced at the distance before, is the wildcard.
|Selections||(6) Ganadora (7) Orange Socks (4) City Champ (5) Royal Boksuni|
|Fast Start||2, 5|
Race 8: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Making just her second start back from a lengthy absence, (3) COMPASS ran a very solid 3rd place in the SLTC Trophy at this distance on June 2nd. As is her style, she came from well off the pace that day and so long as she doesn’t leave herself too much to do, she has as good a chance as any of winning this. (2) TOGETHER HUG gets another chance after weakening in the closing stages last time out while it is a similar story with (5) GIANT KILLER who also went poorly in the same race but is much better than that result suggests. (4) ROAD WINNER has won two of four starts so far and returns for the first time since January. The Discreet Cat colt is up in distance and can be competitive, likely looking to lead all the way. Also on the early pace should be (7) URIGA BON. He tries the distance for the first time but ran creditably enough over 1700M at the end of May and can go well here.
|Selections||(3) Compass (2) Together Hug (5) Giant Killer (4) Road Winner|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7|
Race 9: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(10) NEW HIGH TIME beat (6) L CAR as the pair came home 1st and 3rd at class and distance on June 10th. New High Time bounded out of the gate and into a lead that she would never relinquish, ending up almost eight lengths ahead of L Car – who was betting favourite – on the line. That day’s winner carries an extra 4kg today and while that may not be the crucial factor, L Car has every chance of overturning the form today. (1) MAKJIMA is yet to win in ten efforts but was a narrowly beaten favourite last start and can go close again today. (2) AMAZING SOCKS also remains a maiden but can be given another chance here. (8) GEUMBIT BEONGAE out in three abysmal performances between August last year and February this before being put away. He trialled up in June looking infinitely better and can be given a chance first up here.
|Selections||(6) L Car (10) New High Time (1) Makjima (8) Geumbit Beongae|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 9, 10|
Race 10: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Since moving to Luigi Riccardi’s barn and returning from seven months off, (6) PHILLANIKE has a 2nd place and a victory in two starts. She ran very well in winning a valuable trophy race last time and while she is up in class here, has every chance of striking again. (9) LEONNING STROM blew his race at the start on his first try at this level on June 9th. After that he wasted energy trying to catch up with a very good winner and ended up only beating a couple home. This is a softer race and if he can get out of the gate a bit better, he still has plenty of potential for more wins. (3) MY VISION was one of those who finished in front of Leonning Strom in that race and he can go well again. (4) MENI BADA enters off back to back 4th place finishes and can aim to at least match while (2) GREEN K’s latest two around two turns didn’t go well, he should improve stepped back in trip today.
|Selections||(6) Phillanike (9) Leonning Strom (4) Meni Bada (2) Green K|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 6|
Race 11: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Competitive handicap to finish with but (3) SHARK RUN’s 5th place in the Ttukseom Cup – not all that far off 2nd – is good enough to put the Drosselmeyer filly on top here. She won back to back races going into that race (one of the biggest filly only races of the year) and can win this. (11) JJARIT somewhat surprisingly beat three of these at class and distance on May 26th and while he needs a bit more respect today, (1) IGWANGSASEOK, (2) OKAY GOOD and (10) SPIRIT OF HANSEN, who all finished behind him that day will have every chance of overturning that form. (4) BUNGMA DREAM drops back in trip after a strong 2nd place over 1800M last time and can be considered also. (9) NEON GAMDONGIYA among others who have claims on at least a place.
|Selections||(3) Shark Run (10) Spirit Of Hansen (2) Okay Good (1) Igwangsaseok|
|Next Best||11, 9, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 9, 10|