Sunday sees a full program at Seoul (11 races from 10:45 to 18:00) and Busan (6 races from 12:40 to 17:05). Heavy rain is on the agenda so bring an umbrella! Here are the Seoul previews with Busan selections at the bottom:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(11) POWER PRIDE overcame a bumpy start to record a career-best 3rd place on August 25th. He hasn’t shown a huge amount of speed so far, but this maiden today is one the weaker end of the scale and he may well end up making the breakthrough. (5) FLYING JUNO had a bit of a shocker last time out hanging outwards for a full two-furlongs around the turn. He had previously hinted at ability though and if he fixes his manners today, should go closer. (10) JEONGDONG SARANG will similarly need a line drawn through his latest offering and if so could be a factor. (2) MAD DIVA missed the kick on debut last month and should be better for the experience while (8) GEUMA IMPECCABLE is another with scope to improve.
|Selections||(11) Power Pride (5) Flying Juno (10) Jeongdong Sarang (8) Geuma Impeccable|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||5, 7|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(5) ANYANG JAGUAR showed a significant uptick in form when running 3rd over this distance on August 18th. She came from off the pace to run through the line well and is likely to be ridden further forward earlier today. (11) JANGGUNUI SIDAE has a 3rd and a 4th from her latest two and comes in fresh after almost three months off with solid claims to go close while another one drawn wide, (12) YAHO M J CAT has gone close at this distance before and should be in the mix here. (2) KOREA DAEJANGBU is another who has been knocking at the door without looking like winning and can aim to match the 3rd he managed last start. (7) UNHAE BEST looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Anyang Jaguar (11) Janggunui Sidae (2) Korea Daejangbu (12) Yaho M J Cat|
|Next Best||7, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 8|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(2) PSYCHIC BOSS jumped awkwardly and then got hampered early on but still managed to recover and record a runner-up finish on debut on August 18th. She steps up in trip for her re-appearance today and with a clearer run, looks the one to beat in this filly-only event. (9) KOOKA CAT missed out on a maiden win by a neck last start four weeks ago. She’ll be on pace from the start and should be very close once more. (4) CLEAR STORY was a touch disappointing in 5th last time out but can be given another chance to at least place here. (8) TOUGH GREAT and (12) HWANGGEUM STAR are others who should come into the equation at some point.
|Selections||(2) Psychic Boss (9) Kooka Cat (8) Tough Great (4) Clear Story|
|Next Best||12, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 9|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens here with four of the eleven racing for the first time. One of those debut-makers could well end up as favourite. (8) LEGEND STORM was an eye-catching ten-length trial winner last month in a fast time on what wasn’t an especially fast track. If he brings that kind of form to the races, he can make a winning start. (4) SIMPLE STYLE also looked handy in trials and is another who can make an immediate impact. The one the newcomers will need to beat is (9) MENI HERO. He’s run 3rd and 2nd in his two starts so far and a win doesn’t look too far away. He’ll be on pace from the start and that win could come here. (3) DAEHYEONG HOJAE and (11) P.K. HILL looks the best of the rest of the experienced ones.
|Selections||(8) Legend Storm (9) Meni Hero (4) Simple Style (3) Daehyeong Hojae|
|Next Best||11, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 9, 11|
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) KINGS CARRIAGE is up in class following a six-length win over this distance on August 11th. The task is undoubtedly tougher today but from the inside gate, he can sit just off the early speed and finish strongly. (5) HWANGGEUM DOYAJI got her maiden win two starts back and then missed the kick by a couple of lengths on her first try at this class. She ultimately got within a length of the winner, finishing 2nd and returns here after a couple of months off firmly in the hunt. (6) FLYING BULLET won back to back races in June and July before coming up short behind (11) DAE UNHA last start. She was favourite that day and looks worthy of another chance here. (4) CHEONHA YEOJE is another up in class following a maiden win and should be competitive.
|Selections||(1) Kings Carriage (5) Hwanggeum Doyaji (6) Flying Bullet (4) Cheonha Yeoje|
|Next Best||11, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 12|
Race 6: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) JEONGJOUI KKUM ran a close 2nd on his first try at this class on August 24th, beaten by a decent winner and well clear of the rest of the field. He’s well drawn to lead from the start here and could go all the way. (6) HAERANG remains a maiden having run 2nd to Jeongjoui Kkum in July and then 3rd behind (4) TOUR BROTHER at his class a month ago. She may have to settle for a place again, but she shouldn’t be far away. Tour Brother too can be competitive, while (2) BIG PRO, an also ran behind that pair last month, came back from the race slightly lame and back fully fit today, should go much better. (7) CHEONGSU BIG EAR raced extremely greenly last time and with better manners today, can be a factor.
|Selections||(5) Jeongjoui Kkum (6) Haerang (4) Tour Brother (2) Big Pro|
|Next Best||7, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 9|
Race 7: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) SINGSING JANGSU overcame a woeful start to run out a five-length winner over 1300M on August 10th. Accordingly, he’s up in class as well as in distance here and neither should be a huge issue. (4) HOPE KINGDOM had a difficult trip last time but overcame that and being found slightly lame, to finish a very creditable 4th. With better luck today, he’ll be a real danger. (11) MENI SPEED was a class and distance winner on August 18th and while this is a better race, he warrants respect. (10) BLACK SPIRIT and (12) CHEON GOE SEONG are others with at least placing claims.
|Selections||(3) Singsing Jangsu (4) Hope Kingdom (11) Meni Speed (10) Black Spirit|
|Next Best||12, 8|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 12|
Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(8) NEW PARADIGM was slow to begin and then got bumped about a bit when registering an underwhelming finish at this distance on his first try at this level on August 11th. He’s worth persevering with though as his win the start before was mightily impressive and with a better start today, he should be much better. On the subject of impressive winners, (2) CHEONNYEONUI BI was exactly that when scoring by six-lengths at this distance on July 26th. She’s up in class today but will surely be competitive. (5) EAST KINGDOM has only raced three times this year but has been close on each occasion and can go well again here. (1) SPEED HWANGNYONG and (4) BANGTANMA, the latter up in class after a win at this distance last month, are others who should be in the hunt.
|Selections||(8) New Paradigm (2) Cheonnyeonui Bi (5) East Kingdom (4) Bangtanma|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||5, 8|
Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) CHODONG BOBAE’s winning streak was ended at three when she ran 3rd over 1200M on August 10th. She was drawn wide that day but from the inside here has a great chance of getting on pace from the start and returning to the winner’s circle. Aussie import (2) BRIGADIER GENERAL has shown promise in three outings so far. He carries significantly less weight that in any of those three here and improvement can be expected. (9) WUJEONGUI HYANGGI and (11) DOLGYEOK APEURO both come in having performed well at this class and in recent outings and should be there or thereabouts again. (4) JILPUNG GANGJA was a class and distance winner on his last start back in May and while he comes in after four months out and carries more weight, he can be considered again.
|Selections||(1) Chodong Bobae (2) Brigadier General (9) Wujeongui Hyanggi (11) Dolgyeok Apeuro|
|Next Best||4, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 7|
Race 10: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Very tricky race this. (9) PHOENIX WOLF returned from five months off to win well over 1000M last month. She’s up in class and tackling further than the minimum for the first time, but she should be competitive here. (2) LIL’ PATRON and (12) K.N ACE both step up in class following good victories on their respective latest outings. Both should be competitive with Lil’ Patron perhaps the slightly more favoured of the pair at this point. (1) WILD FIGHT raced ungenerously last time but has ability and shouldn’t be far away while (11) EAGLES GRIFTER comes in having been a really good class and distance 2nd on August 10th and warrants significant respect here.
|Selections||(2) Lil’ Patron (11) Eagles Grifter (9) Phoenix Wolf (12) K.N Ace|
|Next Best||1, 8, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 9, 10|
Race 11: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(9) CHEUNGDAM GENIE ended up disqualified from what was the first race at the track to be run over a mile last month when his jockey was found guilty of careless riding. He went into that race as favourite following back to back victories and back at 1400M, he has solid claims to return to the winner’s circle today. (6) SUPER FLUID drops back in trip following a good 2nd over 1800M last month and looks a real contender here. (4) GUREUM WANGJA was 5th in that race and drops back to a distance at which he won the last time he tackled it, albeit at class 3. (2) SEONGPA comes in following back to back class and distance runner-up finishes and while this is perhaps a slightly trickier assignment, he can be respected. (3) SAMSEONG DONGHANG disappointed last time but is expected to be ridden forward today and can go better.
|Selections||(9) Cheungdam Genie (6) Super Fluid (2) Seongpa (4) Gureum Wangja|
|Next Best||3, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 9, 10|
Race 1: 6, 8, 2, 5
Race 2: 6, 9, 3, 1
Race 3: 7, 1, 2, 8
Race 4: 3, 1, 8, 6
Race 5: 8, 11, 2, 9
Race 6: 9, 2, 7, 5