Two big juvenile races headline Seoul and Busan on Sunday. Both will have strong favourites with Choegang Team looking hard to beat in the Munhwa Ilbo Cup at Seoul while Save The World is set to start at a short price in the Gold Circle Trophy at Busan. We also get to see several of Seoul’s top three-year-olds take each other on as Derby Winner and Runner-up Wonderful Fly and Myeongpum Chukje are joined by Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup winner Clear Geom as well as Thunder Blade and Rapidocus over 1800M in race 11.
There are 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 plus 6 at Busan from 12:40 to 17:05. Here are the Seoul previews with Busan Selections below:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Filly-only maiden to kick things off and what it perhaps lacks in quality, it makes up for in competitiveness. Five of them race for the first time and among these first-timers, (2) CHOEGANGMA was a lively looking trial winner in August and from an inside draw could potentially get to the front and lead all the way. Accordingly, she’s the slight pick. (4) LUCKY SMILE ran a good 3rd on debut at the beginning of this month, coming from off the pace and running on well and she can match or better that today while (6) ELITE LADY has a 2nd and a 4th in two starts so far, the latter in a valuable juvenile race over 1200M which she led until the closing stages. She’ll join Choegangma on pace and looks a real danger. (3) PEACE OF RULES and another debut-maker, (9) NUNBUSIN HANSEN, look best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Choegangma (6) Elite Lady (4) Lucky Smile (9) Nunbusin Hansen|
|Next Best||3, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 9|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(10) SYDNEY MONEY came from well off the pace to run a good 3rd in a slightly better race than this on August 10th. He’s shown progress in three starts since returning from a lengthy absence and he could make the breakthrough today. (1) RUFFIAN PARK ran promisingly enough for 4th on debut at the end of July and should have come on for the run and a nine-week layoff. He’ll be on pace early. (3) PUNCH POWER did nothing wrong on his first start four weeks ago and will be expected to improve on the 5th he scored that day. (7) DREAM CHAT debuted in 3rd place all the way back in March. She’s had her setbacks since but looked competent enough in a recent trial. (12) DONGSEO JEPAE was a much improved 2nd last time and is another with placing claims.
|Selections||(10) Sydney Money (1) Ruffian Park (3) Punch Power (7) Dream Chat|
|Next Best||12, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 9|
Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) RAON BEST MAN is up in class following an eye-catching seven-length win over 1000M on August 31st. He made all that day and while he is up in distance for the first time as well, he has every chance of repeating. (10) KING OF RULES enters off the back of consecutive runner-up finishes and should be going close again while (11) HWARYONG has a 3rd and a 2nd from his latest two and the step up in trip today should suit well. (4) BISAYEON and (9) GEUMBIT YEOLJEONG, the latter just a neck behind King Of Rules last start and likely to challenging for the early lead here, are others in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(3) Raon Best Man (10) King Of Rules (11) Hwaryong (4) Bisayeon|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 9|
Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(12) RAON TOUGH MAN was a good winner in a fast time on debut on August 11th He only won by a neck but he and the runner-up were a full eight-lengths clear of the rest of the field and while he steps up in both class and distance today – and is drawn in the car park – he can make it two out of two. (4) ROYAL GHOST remains a maiden but comes in having run a very good 2nd on her first try at this class last time out. That was at 1000M, but she’s run well at this distance as well and should go close. (11) DAEHAN CHAMP and (8) IL MARE were both a touch disappointing when well down the field in an admittedly stronger race then this last month. Both should go better today. (9) STAR LIST has been holding her own in useful company lately and can aim for some minor prize money.
|Selections||(12) Roan Tough Man (4) Royal Ghost (8) Il Mare (11) Daehan Champ|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 12|
Race 5: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(2) CITY SONGAM beat a couple of these on his way to 2nd place over 1300M on August 31st. His style across four starts so far has been to come from well off the pace so it’ tempting to suggest that the additional trip – his first time around two turns – should suit perfectly. (10) CHOEGANG SINGI provides French trainer Tony Castanheira with his first Korean runner and it could be a good one. He was just beaten half a length last start six weeks ago and is another who should appreciate a bit of distance. (6) FASTEST already has a 3rd place at this distance to his name and should be aiming to at least repeat. (1) CHEONNYEONUI GODO and (4) MACH SEUNGCHEON are others in the frame.
|Selections||(2) City Songam (10) Choegang Singi (6) Fastest (1) Cheonnyeonui Godo|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6|
Race 6: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) DAEGUN POWER won back to back races in June and July to get rapidly promoted to this level and then ran a creditable 3rd on his first try at it on August 25th. From the inside gate, he should be on speed from the start and he can return to the winner’s circle here. (3) GAON FORCE ran in the first two legs of this year’s Korean Triple Crown, and while he finished well back both times, he has ability. His latest run saw him come rom off the pace to run 4th over 1200M last month and he should better that today. (2) SUN OF THUNDER was a class and distance winner last start and while he carries more weight today in what is a tougher race, he warrants respect. (11) P.K. JEONSA is up in class following back to back wins and should be competitive while (12) STRONG VULTURE is another who is very capable on his day.
|Selections||(1) Daegun Power (3) Gaon Force (11) P.K. Jeonsa (12) Strong Vulture|
|Next Best||2, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 11|
Race 7: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Another competitive race. (4) SKY DOLPUNG was a class and distance winner on August 11th, coming from off the pace to win by a neck. That was the culmination of a run of good form and he’ll be in the hunt again. He carries 3.5kg more today though and chances are that (6) DADDY GLORY, a couple of lengths back in 3rd that day, will overturn the form. She’s a winner of three from nine and looks to have potential for more. She can sit behind the early speed and be too strong late on. (9) MIREU STORM has beaten plenty of these on his way to back to back runner-up finishes at class and distance and should (more…)