After the short Chuseok break, racing returns to Korea this weekend kicking off on Friday with a 12-race card at Busan from 11:30 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(2) ECHO SUN looks the one to beat here. He had a hard time in a valuable race over the distance last month but had previously shown ability with a 2nd and a 3rd. He can come from close to the pace and win (11) B.K. VICTOR looks next best. He lost most of his three-year-old season but came back in August and has since recorded a 2nd and a 3rd. All his starts so far have been at this trip and he can be dangerous here. (8) ECTON STEALTH finished 4th behind B.K. VICTOR last start and can go close again while (9) BEYOND and (3) WAKANDA are others to look out for.
|Selections||(2) Echo Sun (11) B.K. Victor (8) Ecton Stealth (9) Beyond|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 8|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Fillies only here. Similar to Echo Sun in race 1, (11) WONDERFUL PEACE put in two food performances to begin her career before finding things tough in the same valuable juvenile race a month ago. Back in more amenable company today, she should have every chance of making her breakthrough, most likely leading from the front. (1) TWO TWO FAIRY also struggled in that race last month having previously shown ability in two goes over 1000M. She’ll join Wonderful Peace on the early speed and can be a danger. (6) CHEONNYEONUIHEUIMA has offered some glimpses of ability across four starts so far while best of the rest could be the solitary newcomer. (2) ADELE SPIKE looked nice and handy when running 2nd in a trial towards the end of August and can go well first-up today.
|Selections||(11) Wonderful Peace (1) Two Two Fairy (2) Adele Spike (6) Cheonnyeonuiheuima|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 11|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens here with four of the twelve having race before. Among those, (11) ADELE STROM looks to be one of the banker favourites of the day, having run a very capable looking 3rd on debut on August 16th. He’s drawn wide but should overcome it and should win. Both (2) FLYING KINGS and (4) JINJU SARANG were also-rans in that same August race and both will be expected to improve here while the other one with prior experience, (3) AFLEET YOUNG ran on reasonably well over 1200M on his debut back in July and may appreciate the extra half furlong here. Among the debut-makers there are no real eye-catchers – (1) MR. JOY was perhaps best looking in trials.
|Selections||(11) Adele Strom (3) Afleet Young (2) Flying Kings (1) Mr. Joy|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 11|
Race 4: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Competitive looking handicap with (12) USEUNGUI PARANGSAE getting the verdict. He finished runner-up in his opening two starts to get promoted to this level and then got his maiden win on a muddy track at class and distance on August 23rd. He’ll need to overcome the wide draw to get on pace, but once he does that, he should be hard to beat. (11) HUNTER PARK is yet to score in fourteen attempts but come in having finished 2nd in both his latest efforts, both at this trip and both in decent times. He looks the most credible threat here. (5) PERDIDO ROCKET and (6) HWANGGEUMBITMASENG are both up in class having finished 2nd and 3rd respectively when racing each other on August 23rd and both should be competitive at this level. (3) TIME TOGETHER looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(12) Useungui Parangsae (11) Hunter Park (5) Perdido Rocket (3) Time Together|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||9, 12|
Race 5: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(9) CASTEL CORE has come close in two tries at this distance so far, finishing 4th and then 2nd, the latter time having led until close to home. It should be third time lucky of a mile today with him leading all the way. (4) LISTEN TO ME ran 3rd behind Castel Core last start and looks to have as good a chance as any of taking on the favourite here. (6) WONDERFUL SUPAH has looked useful in his latest three, each time running through the line well and tackling a mile for the first time today may well suit him. (5) SEOBU GENTLEMAN hasn’t been too far away in either of his two tries at this distance so far and should be knocking on the door of the places again while (8) TAMNA LIST is another who attempts the distance for the first time and may be considered.
|Selections||(9) Castel Core (4) Listen To Me (6) Wonderful Supah (8) Tamna List|
|Next Best||5, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 9|
Race 6: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
The first race of the day without a stand-out favourite. (4) ALPHA KING is up in class having secured his maiden victory at the second time of asking on a muddy track a month ago. Likely to be ridden forward here, he could immediately follow up. The biggest danger looks to be (9) CHANGE BACK, a class and distance winner here in June and who comes in following creditable runs in two races that were arguably a bit stronger than this one. He’ll come from off the pace and should go close. (5) MIO and (8) DALGU both come in off solid performances last time, the former beating Change Back on his way to 2nd place at lengthy odds, and both look in the hunt here.
|Selections||(4) Alpha King (9) Change Back (5) Mio (8) Dalgu|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 8|
Race 7: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(10) FINAL DREAM is up in class having registered his maiden win over 1000M just over a month ago. He ran through the line well and while he’s up in distance for the first time as well, he looks to be the one to beat. (8) PARADISE KING is up in class too, in his case having finished 3rd in all three of his starts so far. He was beaten favourite last time but doesn’t have much to fear at this level and he can maintain his placing record today. (6) MIRACLE ALICE produced a sharp uptick in form to run 2nd over 1000M last start and can continue to make progress here. (9) TOWER CAPTAIN and (12) USEUNG JIKIMI are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(10) Final Dream (8) Paradise King (6) Miracle Alice (9) Tower Captain|
|Next Best||12, 1|
|Fast Start||10, 12|
Race 8: Class 4 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Valuable race for imported juvenile maidens and just three of the nine have raced before. Conveniently for us, all three of them debuted in the same race on August 23rd and it was (5) SOCKS GO who finished the best of them, coming home a good 2nd/ Accordingly, he is set to be a warm favourite to go one better today. (7) TWO TWO LEADS was 3rd in that race will be one of the main dangers here although bigger threats may come from the first-timers. (6) FANTASTIC ROAD looks the best of those having run 3rd in a trial in a fast time and he should go well first-up here. (2) HIDDEN SHOTGUN and (4) AMAZING SUNNY also caught the eye in their heats. As ever in this kind of race, watch the local market for additional clues.
|Selections||(5) Socks Go (7) Two Two Leads (6) Fantastic Road (2) Hidden Shotgun|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 9|
Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) GREAT WIN has won three of his latest four, including a good class and distance score last time out. That was, however, three months ago and he carries an additional 4kg today so there are concerns but nevertheless, he could win again. (9) BROWN PIE looks the main danger. She’s just come up a little short in her latest couple but is a class and distance winner and can return to form here. It’s a similar story with (6) SUMMIT TODAY, who is better than her recent form suggests and who can play a role here. (10) HAPPY GATE is up in class following a good win over the distance last start and while this is undoubtedly tougher, can be competitive. (1) K PLUS WON is an experienced money winner at this level and is firmly in the placing frame.
|Selections||(5) Great Win (9) Brown Pie (10) Happy Gate (6) Summit Today|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 9|
Race 10: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(10) RAJPUTANA stepped up to a mile last start, running a useful 4th but back down in trip today, he should be hard to beat. He’s not a front-runner but can come from off the pace to score. (6) GIANT’S BIZ hasn’t quite pushed on from early promise but ran well for 5th of 12 in a tougher race than this last start and should go close here. (5) YEONGGWANGUIFACTOR was 4th in that same race and similarly can follow up with another positive performance today. (4) SPECIAL KING IJI and (8) ECHO NILE are others who enter with recent form reading well and both can aim to at least place.
|Selections||(10) Rajputana (6) Giant’s Biz (5) Yeonggwanguifactor (4) Special King Iji|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8|
Race 11: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(3) POWER WINDY ran 3rd in the Korean Derby in May with a fast late run, before following up with 5th in the Minister’s Cup a month later He was 2nd on his return to Busan at the end of August and should really be going one better today. This isn’t easy though. (11) MUJEOK VETERAN capped a run of good form with a win over a mile last time. He’s up in both class and distance today but is nicely weighted and should be a threat. (4) GYEONGJUUI DUREBAK was a class and distance winner last start and warrants respect here while (2) CAPTAIN GUY has been knocking on the door of the places recently and shouldn’t be too far away. (8) SAKISAKI best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) Power Windy (11) Mujeok Veteran (4) Gyeongjuui Durebak (2) Captain Guy|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|
Race 12: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Competitive race to close with. (10) I’M YOUR LEMON found herself a little bit overmatched when 7th behind Silver Wolf in the KNN Cup over a mile last month. Back down in trip and back in more amenable company today, there should be a different outcome and she looks the one to beat. (4) WIDAEHAN BISANG was 2nd in a good class and distance race back in August and can be a danger here while (12) AWESOME KING IJI, running in the same colours a s I’m Your Lemon, generally finds a way to get beat but is a prolific placer and shouldn’t be too far away once more. (6) DANGDAE GEOHAM and (8) USEUNG HWANHO are others who have claims on at least a place.
|Selections||(10) I’m Your Lemon (4) Widaehan Bisang (12) Awesome King Iji (8) Useung Hwanho|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 12|