We’re now just over two weeks out from the third running of the Korea Cup & Korea Sprint and we’ll begin the build-up to those two international races this coming Monday (there is a lot to talk about). In the meantime, this weekend’s racing kicks off with a 9-race Friday card at Busan from 14:30 to 21:00. Jockey You Hyun Myung starts the weekend with 999 career winners:
Race 1: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) USEUNGUI PARANGSE is one of a number up in class here and while she is winless, she’s been 2nd in both her two starts so far, both times behind decent horses and last time in a fast time behind an excellent winner. She’ll be leading early here and can go all the way. (2) NEW QUEEN is another maiden, in her case after fifteen attempts but recent form reads very nicely and she has solid claims to go very close here while it’s a similar story with (1) MORNING BRAVO, who has been knocking at the door for some time and should be a factor. (7) MAEPSI COLOR was a class and distance winner last time and should be respected here while (8) BEAUTIFUL MARINE and (9) STOLEN BEAUTY are others in the hunt in what is a competitive opener.
|Selections||(5) Useungui Parangse (2) New Queen (9) Stolen Beauty (1) Morning Bravo|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5|
Race 2: Class 4 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Imported maidens here comprising of juveniles and a couple of southern hemisphere three-year-olds. That pair have raced before although neither with any distinction so it’s the first-timers who we’ll focus on. (1) CLINCHER looks the most likely winner. He went through two trials in good fashion and if he brings that form to the races could well be hard to beat. (2) HUNCH and (4) TWO TWO LEADS also put in useful trial efforts and can go well first up while the Kim Young Kwan trained pair of (3) GEUM A CLASSY and (9) SOCKS GO are bound to attract attention with the former looking the more likely to make an immediate impact.
|Selections||(1) Clincher (2) Hunch (4) Two Two Leads (3) Geum A Classy|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||7, 9|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(4) GRAND JILJU and (5) PERDIDO ROCKET came home 5ht and 6th respectively when they raced each other over 1300M on July 26th. Today’s company looks more amenable for both of them and back at the minimum distance here, Perdido Rocket is favoured to overturn the form. Grand Jilju still looks to be the biggest danger but there is likely to be a challenge from (3) BEAUTIFUL KOREA, who is inconsistent but capable on her day and ran a good 4th at this trip last start. (6) CHODONG DAEJANG too has been up and down but can find the money in this company while (10) HWANGGEUMBITMASAENG come in off a decent 2nd place last start and can challenge for the places again.
|Selections||(5) Perdido Rocket (4) Grand Jilju (10) Hwanggeumbitmasaeng (3) Beautiful Korea|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||5, 6|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(4) PARTY LION returned from three months off to run a good 3rd over 1300M on July 19th. It was a big improvement on his opening two efforts and he can continue to make progress here. (10) WILD GUY was a touch disappointing last start when 7th but his form prior to that was strong and he can be a threat today. (11) KING DOMBO did nothing wrong when 4th on debut last month and looks to have solid potential to improve here. (2) WONDEFUL SUPAH has also shown development across his latest two starts and should be looking for a place finish here. (8) ALPHA KING best of the rest.
|Selections||(4) Party Lion (11) King Dombo (10) Wild Guy (2) Wonderful Supah|
|Next Best||8, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 10|
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) WONDERFUL COUNTRY won on debut on June and has finished runner-up in both efforts to date at this class. He came up slightly short when odds-on favourite last start but should make no mistake today. It took (12) THE FACT fifteen goes to get his maiden win but he proved it was no fluke by following up with a 2nd place on his return three weeks ago. The wide draw won’t be a problem and he can go close again. (5) HAPPY GATE was 3rd behind Wonderful Country on his latest start. He has lots to make up on the favourite but should beat plenty himself. (2) LOVE LETTER enters with recent form reading well and has placing claims while (8) ONE CHANCE similarly has a decent chance of matching her latest two outings, both of which have finished in 3rd place.
|Selections||(1) Wonderful Country (12) The Fact (5) Happy Gate (2) Love Letter|
|Next Best||8, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 5|
Race 6: Class 4 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) GIJEOGUI JEOKTOMA came back up to this distance to run a good 2nd on July 26th. Coming from off the pace with a strong finish. He can do similar today and this time can go one better. (4) DOCTOR WEEK is up in class after a good win on a sloppy track over 1300M a month ago. He’s run at this distance before and should be competitive today. (8) EL DRAGON is up in class too, in his case having won at this distance three weeks ago. He
should be on pace here and another win isn’t impossible under a nice light weight. (5) PEACE TOUR and (12) HAPPY DRAGON are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(3) Gijeogui Jeoktoma (8) El Dragon (4) Doctor Week (12) Happy Dragon|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||5, 8|
Race 7: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Nice little race this with plenty in with a shout. (4) YEONGGWANGUI FORCE enters as the pick following an eye-catching win over 1300M on August 4th. It was at class 4 so he steps up a level today but the manner of that victory suggests there may be more to come. (2) GREAT ROCK beat three of these on his way to 3rd place at class and distance on July 26th and should beat plenty today too as should (8) ASTONISHING, who ran a very good 2nd last time, also at class and distance and looks to have plenty of scope for further development. (3) SSONSAL is up in class after a nice win over 1300M in late June. He comes in fresh here and can go well. (6) BRAVO MARINE, 2nd in both his latest two, looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(4) Yeonggwangui Force (2) Great Rock (8) Astonishing (3) Ssonsal|
|Next Best||6, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 12|
Race 8: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(1) YEONGGWANGUI SIDAE is up in class having broken the track record over 1300M on July 19th. Obviously the track was running extremely fast that day but despite the fact that conditions may be different – although Busan has had plenty of rain this week and as of Thursday the track rating was “sloppy” – and this being slightly shorter, he is the one to beat. (8) MYEONGSIN POWER and (9) YEONGCHEON HERO both come in following runner-up finishes in their respective latest outings and both should be aiming for at least a repeat today. (5) JAEDOYAKUI BANSEOK beat a couple of these on his way to 3rd place in a similar event last month and is another who should be finding at least the minor money. (12) SPOT the longshot to come back into form.
|Selections||(1) Yeonggwangui Sidae (8) Myeongsin Power (9) Yeongcheon Hero (5) Jaedoyakui Banseok|
|Next Best||12, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 10|
Race 9: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(8) DOCTOR THUNDER was a spectacular winner at this distance on July 28th, pretty much making all in a fast time. He is up in class today but if he runs anything like he did that day, the caliber of the opposition won’t be much of an issue and he can win again. (6) FIRST CHANGER made all to win well at this class and distance on July 12th and while he carries an additional 3.5kg today looks firmly in contention while (11) AWESOME KING IJI is a very solid campaigner who drops back in trip today and can aim to place. Others who can’t be ruled out include (2) CHODONG SKY and (4) JIGEUKCHEONWANG.
|Selections||(8) Doctor Thunder (6) First Changer (11) Awesome King Iji (2) Chodong Sky|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 4|