The 2019 Korean Oaks takes place at Busan Racecourse on Sunday afternoon and a full field of 16 runners are set to assemble for the fillies’ Classic. There are 6 races in total at Busan from 12:40 to 17:10 while at Seoul there are eleven races from 10:45 to 18:00.
Dae Wan Ma is set to be hot favourite for the Oaks. She ran 2nd in the KRA Cup Mile having won Seoul’s Classic trial a month earlier. She’s been to Busan before when 2nd in last December’s Breeders’ Cup and she is the one to beat.
Last Sunday we saw an odds-on chance go down in the Korea Derby, however, and Dae Wan Ma is no sure thing. The beaten jockey last week was Yoo Seung-wan and he arrives in Busan with the chance to put things right on Smile Girl, winner of Seoul’s Oaks trial in April.
Peter Wolsley’s Top Of World looks firmly in the hunt as well, while Mighty Power and Amazon Yeogeol are also in contention for two trainers, Baik Kwang-yeol and Kim Young-kwan, who are in danger of having an unusually fallow Classic series. Doctor Thunder, so disappoitning in the Cup Mile, is the wildcard. Here is horse by horse for the full cards at both Seoul & Busan:
Seoul Race 1: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
- GEUMSEONG YEOWANG – Best of 5th from 10 starts so far. Drops back in trip having finished last on muddy track over 1300M three weeks ago. Hard to recommend here.
- BEST MAID – 10th behind Tri Thunder at 1300M on April 20th but was 4th on most recent effort at this distance in March. Minor money at best.
- ECO BROTHER – Winner on debut at this distance on wet track in December. 10th and 6th in two starts at this level since. Better draw today and outside place chance.
- GOLD PERILLA – Up in class having registered his maiden win at the ninth time of asking making all over this trip on April 21st. More to find in this company but solid placing chances again under good apprentice jockey.
- UNAK HABIO – Recent form very cold. Only possible angle is he drops back in trip and has a top jockey on board, but neither are enough to make him a recommend.
- BLUE FIRE – Still a maiden after ten attempts but has been very close with four runner-up finishes including last time at class and distance. Generally sits just off the pace, top jockey stays on and a big chance here.
- PARTY POWER – Makes her 51st start today, and occasionally picks up some minor prize money. Always runs on late but usually leaves a little too much to do and similar is likely today.
- NAMJJOK NARA – Her best finishes at this level have been at 1700M and while she carries a light weight here, she wouldn’t seem to have the speed to make an impact.
- TRI THUNDER – Winner on debut last September and has been no worse than 6th in six subsequent outings at this level. Back in trip today after a 3rd place over 1300M last time and solid claims.
- STRONG CUPID – Yet to finish any better than 9th in six attempts during which she’s been dropped in class to little effect. Avoid.
|Selections||(6) Blue Fire (9) Tri Thunder (4) Gold Perilla (7) Party Power|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 9|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
- EDWIN – Never better than 5th in six starts so far. Back in trip today but slow starter and easy to toss here.
- TOUR BROTHER – Looked ready to score at the end of last year and was sent off odds-on favourite in consecutive races finishing 3rd in the first of them but last in the second having hung-out throughout. Last seen running 8th over 1300M in March. Talented but unreliable.
- RAON HAWK – Offered very little in three starts so far and will need some significant improvement here.
- JEONGMUN SARANG – Ran 2nd in valuable juvenile race in September but struggled against the track’s best of his crop a month later. Disappointing 4th when hot favourite at the end of March but with a good start, can go close here.
- JEONGDONG SARANG – Only two starts so far – sent off at nearly 400/1 last time and ran like it. Booking of Alan Munro the positive and while he might need to get off and push, that might be enough to find the minor money here.
- SEOUL CITY – Getting closer across three outings and was a good and close 2nd at the distance last time having led until close to home. Can get on pace again and could go one better.
- WONDERFUL BRAVO – No better than 7th in seven tries and comes in after a slow 7th of 12 over this distance last time. Much improvement required.
- DALLINEUN ACE – Yet to offer much in the way of speed though recent some modest support two weeks ago after a promising trial. Promptly finished 9th of 12. This is weak though so improvement possible.
|Selections||(4) Jeongmun Sarang (6) Seoul City (2) Tour Brother (5) Jeongdong Sarang|
|Next Best||1, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
- NONGBON JARANG – Last all the way round on debut last October and not seen again until trialling underwhelmingly at the end of March. Watching brief here.
- REGINA – Managed a 4th place two starts ago but struggled on latest a month ago at this trip. Has been slowly away on three of her four starts so far and is an outsider here.
- JACKS KHAN – Hasn’t beaten many in four attempts so far and was sent back to trial after latest effort in March. Leave well alone.
- JEONGMUN SAI – 3rd on debut at 1000M was followed by a 2nd place over 1300M when he led until the closing stages. Back in trip by half a furlong today and a big chance of leading all the way.
- WIND SKY – Much improved 2nd over 1300M last start. Will need to find more here but can be considered for further progress.
- BLUE BAND – “Full” brother to President’s Cup and Grand Prix Stakes winner Indie Band, he’s not quite lived up to that so far with 5th and 7th from two starts. Showed prominently over 1300M last start before weakening in closing stages. Could improve at 1200M today.
- MEISEI DREAM – First-time state but she just scraped through a trial in the slowest possible qualifying time. Watching brief here.
- COLORS DE LAGO – Some high hopes on debut after a positive trial and has offered glimpses. 5th of 9 at this distance last time and can improve.
- SONGAM RAPUNZEL – Debut-maker. Nothing special in trials although it was run at a slow pace. Others are preferred.
- HAWK ARIRANG – Has shown slight but noticeable improvement across three starts so far and was 6th of 12 last time, running on creditably. Can improve again.
- GOLD LEVEL – Getting slightly better and comes in following back to back 5th place finishes. Top jockey on again and a chance in this company.
|Selections||(4) Jeongmun Sai (5) Wind Sky (6) Blue Band (11) Gold Level|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 6|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
- UNJU YEONGUNG – Yet to finish any better than 7th in nine attempts and it would be no surprise if that record was maintained here.
- RAISING ANGEL – A winner on debut last December, her worst in four subsequent starts was her only other try at further than 1000M. Nevertheless, she beat a couple of these last time and is well drawn to get on pace. A chance.
- BLESSING ROAD – Six starts at this level since maiden win last September with a best of 3rd. 5th behind some useful ones last time and jockey booking a plus.
- SPECIAL GOLD – First start since last August. She trialled adequately enough in April but others likely to be favoured first-up here.
- SUJEBI – Recent form has been uninspiring. Did manage a 5th place at 1000M in February but has struggled when asked to go any further.
- PRIVATE MAN – Still a maiden but no worse than 5th in six starts to date. Up in class after latest near miss but should be competitive.
- HUNTER HAWK – Finished last on his return from five months out in April. Never any better than 3rd and up against it here.
- P.K. JEONSA – Got promoted to this class with back to back runner-up finishes in February and March but was 8th on first try at the level on April 21st. Should be on pace and worth another chance today.
- VICTORY KING – Up in class today after consecutive 2nd place finishes. No worse than 6th in five outings to date. Will need to improve but not impossible.
- RICH RULES – Winner on debut and then 3rd in both subsequent starts at this class. Up in trip for the first time today, the draw isn’t ideal but is she gets away well, she has a real chance.
- MAENGSAN HERO – Yet to finish in the top three, he’s an import who has been dropped from class 4 but hasn’t found things much more amenable.
|Selections||(10) Rich Rules (2) Raising Angel (9) Victory King (8) P.K. Jeonsa|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 5: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
- DAEGUN CHEONHA – Never worse than 3rd, he got his maiden win over 1300M last start. Up in class today, he looks well in again and can win again.
- MALIBU GINGER – 3rd behind Crazy Wiki and M J Power over 1200M on April 20th. Previous effort at this distance didn’t go well but can be given a chance here.
- NEUNGRYEOK SIDAE – Class and distance winner at the end of March and followed up with 5th of 10 on a wet track three weeks ago. Apprentice jockey gets the weight back down today and she’ll be in the hunt.
- FLYING BOSS – Still a maiden after fourteen attempts but he’s had plenty of near-misses. However, he comes in having finished 11th behind several of these last time so has plenty of form to overturn.
- CHEUNGDAM GENIE – Maiden winner in February but weakened on first try at class and distance in tough company on April 13th. Worth another chance here.
- GOLDEN DIAL – Hung inwards throughout last start which was his first at this class. With better manner can improve today.
- M J POWER – 2nd behind Crazy Wiki over 1200M on April 20th, coming from well off the pace. Attempts this trip for the first time and could make for an interesting outsider.
- MUNHAK TIGER – First start since running 3rd behind M J Power in February and first at this distance. Can come from off the pace and finish strongly.
- CRAZY WIKI – Beat four of these on his way to a four-length win at this class over 1200M on April 20th. First try at this distance today, he’ll be on speed again and a repeat isn’t impossible.
- MATCH CAPTAIN – Struggled in the TJK Trophy last month, losing a shoe in the process. Going well before that though so don’t completely write-off.
- MUNHAK TSUNAMI – 4th behind Crazy Wiki at 1200M on April 20th when sent off as favourite. Today’s distance should suit better, and he can overturn that form.
- JEOKBYEOK SHINHWA – A winner at this class over 1400M on April 21st. He carries an additional 4kg today but could potentially repeat. Will look to come from well off the pace so draw not a problem.
|Selections||(1) Daegun Cheonha (11) Munhak Tsunami (9) Crazy Wiki (5) Cheungdam Genie|
|Next Best||12, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 9, 10|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
- NUMBER ONE STAR – Three-year-old chestnut who possesses a good turn of foot. Broke through last start when powering through the line for a two-length win. Drops 2kg with the step up to Class 5 company today. One to follow going forward. Both starts to date have been on rain affected tracks which at this stage looks to be the case on Sunday.
- GARAK GONGWON – Eight-year-old who has had ninety-one starts from just one win. Has placed over the mile at his past two starts but drops back to the 1300m for this event. Place chance based on recent form.
- JOYFUL MEMORY – Consistent type who has picked up a cheque at her past four starts. Expect to sit in the first half of the field and based on previous efforts keep her in your exotics.
- GUKMIN STAR – Gutsy performance last start when going down less than a length over the 1300m behind Keep Going. That was his first start in Class 5 company as he appears to keep improving. Draw is ideal for his pattern of racing shown to date.
- ON DAY – Won in Class 6 company midway through last year but has since had eight starts for one top three finish. Looks a tough assignment for the four-year-old.
- ANY GOOD DAY – Enormous effort last start as she sat three wide on speed to miss by a nose on the line finishing second. Track was wet on the day of that effort and at this stage it appears she will have the same conditions. Big chance.
- CHEONSANG OREUM – Each way chance as the three-year-old looks for her second win at start nine. Versatile type who has shown she can sit on speed or settle rearwards. Keep safe in your exotics.
- DAEHO JILJU – Three-year-old colt who broke through at start five last time out. Worked forward to sit outside the leader and finished the race off strongly to win by a length. Query appears to be the drop back to 1300m.
- GOLDEN SHARP – Saluted in Class 6 company two starts back and then finished down the track last time out when stepping up in grade for the first time. His maiden win was over the 1300m which he will go over once again in this event after dropping back to the five furlongs last start.
|Selections||(6) Any Good Day (1) Number One Star (8) Daeho Jilju (9) Golden Sharp|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 9|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
- DALLYEORA LEO – Her one win was over two years ago in a 1000m event. Randomly runs a place in this company but hard to suggest on recent form.
- FINAL CANGINO – Australian bred first starter for trainer Luigi-Salvatore Riccardi. Trialed late April and finished second in a time of 1.02.3 on a sloppy rated track. May pay to watch his first run before jumping in.
- DADABI – United Stated import who has failed to impress at his first two race starts. Needs to improve to figure.
- SOULY MAJESTIC – Has failed to finish off her races at her first four career starts. Needs to improve a few lengths before including.
- CHAPEL ACE – Has shown glimpses of form and gets a better draw today. Steps back up to the 1200m today and is a place chance.
- KINGS STEP – Australian bred three-year-old who trialed last month and finished third. Time for the trial was not quick given it was a wet track.
- GAL IP – Has won her past two over the 1000m and steps up to the 1200m for this assignment. Has been consistent throughout her six career starts and should get every chance to win with just the 51kg.
- TAP MAGIC MASTER – Australian bred who has had just three runs this year and failed to get close. Place chance at best.
- SPEED BOSS – Fourth career start and has finished a long way from the winner on all three starts to date.
|Selections||(7) Gal Ip (5) Chapel Ace (1) Dallyeora Leo (4) Souly Majestic|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7|
Busan Race 3: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
- GOLD TICKET – Lightweight chance who may find this tough coming off a ten-length defeat when fifth in Class 4 company last start.
- SINBIHAN BARAM – Went to the Busan Ilbo at Group 3 level last start and was severely outclassed. Last win was four starts back in weaker company.
- FLYING RANGER – Had his first start back since August last year when finishing second to Sparkle. Subsequently elevated in the ratings and now lines up in Class 3 company. Look for improvement second-up.
- YEONGCHEON STAR – Dominant victory last start when winning by seven lengths. Led from barrier to past last start and will be looking to sit on speed again. Goes over the six furlongs again which is a plus.
- CHROME MAGIC – Second run this preparation after finishing fifth when resuming. Comes out of the Blue Chipper race last start when there was thirteen lengths between first and second so he way beaten a considerable margin. Wait for improvement.
- I’M YOUR LEMON – Went around with the fillies in the Selangor Turf Club Trophy race last start when beaten four lengths finishing fifth. Drops back to the 1200m today which is more suitable. Strong chance with the lightweight.
- ASTONISHING – USA bred gelding who his having just his third start. Impressed on debut when third behind Brave Kingdom and then blew them away last start winning by four lengths in Class 4 company. With just the 52kg on his back he may prove hard to head.
- MUJEOK YEONGUNG – First run since December and will have to carry the top weight of 57kg. Winner of four from five starts. Has not carried more than 55kg to victory in previous runs but looks one to follow going forward.
- KOREA DRAGON – Import who is yet to salute but was promoted to Class 3 company after some handy efforts in weaker races. Looks outclassed.
- CHRISTIANO – Grey filly who was setting the track alight until sustaining a chip fracture forcing her off the track since May last year. No trial going into this so hard to gauge. Hard assignment first up but she has ability.
- JUSTINE MAGIC – Four-year-old import who has to carry 56kg after finishing second in similar grade at his past two starts. Has been sent out at short odds at every career start but this looks his toughest test to date.
- PERFECT SINHWA – Sustained a chip fracture after winning in July last year. Trialed in March leading into this preparation. Has won four of his six career starts and finished second on the other occasions. Front running type so map him to go forward early.
|Selections||(7) Astonishing (6) I’m Your Lemon (12) Perfect Sinhwa (8) Mujeok Yeongung|
|Next Best||11, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 10, 12|
Race 7 Class 4 (1200m) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
- GO GO BI – First time being stretched out to the 1200m after some reasonable performances over the five furlongs. Sire and Dam both won over middle distances suggesting distance won’t be a problem.
- NAMCHON DAY – Failed to get close from three career starts. Has capitulated in the run home each start so hard to suggest.
- SEUNGNI GIEOK – Gone off the boil for quite some time now. Beaten by big margins at his most recent runs even with relief in the strength of his races. Another that will find this difficult.
- YORI JORI – Eleven start maiden who has ran some handy races lately. Gets a weaker assignment and has each way claims.
- RICH MINE – Seems a horse that particularly does not appreciate the kick back. When she has managed to get on speed she has performed well. If she can muster at the start, she will take some running down.
- GWANGPOK GISE – Looks safely held here based on his first two career starts.
- MISTER HAETBIT – Debutant from the United States by Munnings who trialed in April. Trial was far from impressive and happy to watch at this stage.
- WILD FIGHT – Strong win by the American bred gelding when leading throughout over the 1000m in similar company last start. Query now is the weight with a 3kg increase on his last win.
- WHIZ REINA – Twelve start maiden who has shown glimpses of promise including last start when second behind Wild Fight who it meets once again here. Gets an advantage in the weights for this run so if she can perform similarly, she can go close.
- MONTEVIDEO – Majestic Warrior colt who has had the nine starts and yet to break maiden status. First run since November last year but has had a trial coming into this preparation. Prefer to watch.
|Selections||(5) Rich Mine (8) Wild Fight (9) Whiz Reina (4) Yori Jori|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 10|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
- HAPPY DRAGON – Beaten nine lengths last start when stepping into Class 4 company for the first time. Drops back to the 1600m and gets the advantage of the inside gate but place chance looks best.
- SEOGANGDAERO – Has failed to finish better than midfield this preparation and looks as though the five-year-old will struggle in this assignment.
- BRIAN PARK – Won two in a row prior to a disappointing midfield performance behind True King in wet conditions. Has struggled on wet tracks so suggest checking track conditions. Seems to have his fair share of ability.
- NANGMAN JEONSA – Four-year-old who has failed to figure in this grade for quite some time. Has been settling rearwards in his most recent runs.
- MYEONGSIN POWER – Mixes his form but appears to be a knockout chance with some handy performances in the past in this type of company.
- EOROK – Lightly weighted six-year-old who is looking for her second win at her fifty-first start. Has finished in the quartet at her past five starts.
- VEGA KHAN – Been a long time between drinks with the six-year-old well beaten of late in this class. Hard to suggest.
- IGGYDA – Admirable performance last start when tramping wide for the first half of the race and grinding away finishing sixth. Assignment today looks weaker and he looks a nice middle-distance type.
- DAEHO MYEONGGA – Dropped back in class two starts back and has struggled. This doesn’t look any easier than recent assignments with the 57kg.
- ROYAL GOLD – Consistent type who looks better suited over a shorter distance. Rough place chance.
- GAMUNUI YEONGGWANG – Appears to have met his mark in Class 4 company and looks hard to suggest from the outside gate.
|Selections||(8) Iggyda (3) Brian Park (6) Eorok (5) Myeongsin Power|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 8|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
- MONSTER QUEEN – Always competitive in this type of company and based on her last start second appears an each-way chance. Ran home nicely last start and goes up 1.5kg in the weight scale.
- SISPUMA WINNER – Needs to improve to figure. Well beaten of late.
- SUPER TRICK – Yet to figure in this type of company and looks another that may struggle.
- SEUNGRI NARAE –Haven’t seen the best of the Raconteur four-year-old of late and looks hard to have.
- JEJUI HEUKSEON – Ran third in a 1700m last start when the time was considered slow. Looking for her second win at start nineteen.
- WELLBEING STORY – Recent performances only fair and looks to be a rough place chance.
- DAE BYEONHWA – Saluted in Class 5 company last start when running a handy time considering the track was rated as dry. Versatile type who looks suited with 52kg.
- HANEULEUL DALRIDA – Was sent to the KRA Cup Mile where he was severely outclassed but back in Class 4 company, he looks an each-way chance. His effort two starts ago when winning over the 1700m was good.
- JEONGSANG ETTEUM – Form has been thereabouts running the odd place in the company but would need to improve to figure. First time over the 1700m at his 22nd
- J ROAD – Moon Se Young jumps aboard the four-year-old for the first time. Times produced for the 1700m of late have been poor.
- CAPTAIN POWER – Looks an each-way chance in this with some reasonable efforts over the 1700m. One of his easier assignments in recent times.
- STORMY – Has finished fourth at his past two starts over the 1700m. Normally sits on speed so may have to work overtime to get a forward position.
|Selections||(7) Dae Byeonhwa (8) Haneuleul Dalrida (1) Monster Queen (11) Captain Power|
|Next Best||5, 12|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 12|
Busan Race 5: Korean Oaks (KOR G2) Class Open (1800M) Allowance 3yo Fillies / KRW 600 Million
- TOP OF WORLD – Impressive start to her career winning four of seven career starts including some notable performances. Won the Selangor Turf Club Trophy over the 1400m when running through the line strongly. Draw ideal as she sits on speed and has performed on wet tracks which looks the early forecast for Sunday’s feature.
- BANGTANMA – Saluted in Class 5 company last start over 1300m. This is a much tougher assignment and she appears to be outclassed in this assignment.
- FIGHT MAGIC – Took her five starts to break maiden status and has now made it two on the trot. Finished well back over the mile earlier on suggesting the 1800m may prover her undoing.
- MIGHTY POWER – Finished an admirable second two starts back in the Gyeongnam Shinmun Cup when against the boys in March. She then followed that up with a last placed performance in the Selangor Turf Club Trophy. A post-race vet inspection found she returned with a wound to her left hind leg. She will benefit from a strong pace and has performed on the wet.
- MISS FACT – Finished over four lengths behind Top Of World in the Selangor Turf Club Trophy last start and will find this tough.
- YEONGGWANGUI SIDAE – Was the main threat to Top Of World in the Selangor Turf Club Trophy when finishing second at odds. Effort was good when running through the line strong. Performances prior to last start were mixed in Class 4 company. Rough place chance.
- HEUNG BUJA – Looks to be tested on equal weights after winning in Class 4 company with a featherweight on her back. Hard to suggest.
- DOCTOR THUNDER – Sent out well fancied by punters in the KRA Cup Mile and disappointed when finishing last. Raced wide without cover throughout and post-race vet exam found no abnormalities. Had no recorded track work after the KRA Cup Mile until 2nd May suggesting fitness may be an issue.
- DAE WAN MA – 2018 Chairman’s Cup winning filly who has standout formlines coming into the Oaks. She finished second behind Global Chukje in the KRA Cup Mile and prior to that beat the eventual Korean Derby winner Wonderful Fly in the Sports Seoul Cup. She’s placed at both starts at Busan and has the runs on the board to win the Oaks.
- MAMMA ROMA – Ran home well in the Jockey Club of Turkey Trophy at Seoul in April to finish third beaten just over two lengths. Finished well back on that occasion and ate up the ground on the inside rail. Travels down to Busan for her first start at the track.
- AMAZON YEOGOL – Third behind Top Of World last start when beaten just over two lengths in the Selangor Turf Club Trophy. Based on her recent efforts in appears she will appreciate the 1800m.
- SMILE GIRL – Powerful performance to win the Jockey Club of Turkey Trophy in April when gunning down Daddy Glory in the shadows of the post to win. Five start for three wins and looks progressive over the middle distance. Keep safe in your selections.
- REIGN – Won in Class 6 company last start over 1700m. Looks severely outclassed.
- DEEP MIND – Has been competitive in most of her races but this looks a tough assignment on equal weights. Has had one go on the wet and struggled to fire in a race in which a few of these beat her by paddles. Prefer others.
- JEONGSAN YEOSIN – Class 5 winner last start who has snuck into a relatively strong field. Hard to suggest.
- JEMA TEUKGEUP – Korean bred who has had just the three starts for a victory and two second placed performances. Looks a big ask for the least experienced in the field especially stepping up to 1800m.
|Selections||(9) Dae Wan Ma (1) Top Of World (12) Smile Girl (10) Mamma Roma|
|Next Best||4, 8, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 12, 14, 15|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
- DOLGYEOK APEURO – Second career start for the American bred three-year-old. Passed a couple in the run home last start when eighth on debut. Big ask for him to go over 1700m at his second start.
- UNION SEUNGRI – Went over the 1700m for the first time last start and looked to appreciate the longer journey. Lightly weighted and can sit close from the gate.
- KAILASH DANCER – Looks one of the main chances after a good win two starts back over the 1700m. Stayed in Class 4 company for his most recent run and finished midfield when carrying 57kg. Well weighted with 53.5kg in this event.
- CHEONGDAM TIGER – Well back at his recent runs. Hard to suggest.
- TOGETHER HUG – Been out the back door her past few runs. Prefer others.
- MY SISTER NINO – Third career start. Has been well beaten to date.
- DOUBLE GOLD – Racing well in Class 5 company and now elevated to Class 4. Each way chance after running some handy races over the 1700m of late.
- EVER THE CHAMP – Three-year-old American import who should not be discounted. Showed ability over the middle distance two starts back when second behind Mr Turner. His records show he is better near the speed.
- SKANDA – Four-year-old import who is yet to win but has ran some handy races. Needs to improve but this isn’t an overly strong race.
- ALL THAT KOREA – Looks a rough place chance on recent efforts.
- SKY CITY – Went through her classes early on in her career but has hit the metaphorical brick wall in this company. Hard to have on recent performances.
- EMORY SOCKS – Previous Class 4 winner who can win this with a good steer by Moon Se Young. Steps back up to 1700m which he won over earlier this year. 55.5kg should not be an issue.
|Selections||(12) Emory Socks (3) Kailash Dancer (8) Ever The Champ (7) Double Gold|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 10, 12|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
- JEONGSANG KOREA – Winner at big odds two starts back and then disappointed last time out. Backmarker who will not necessarily appreciate the inside draw.
- TRIPLE PARTY – Thirty starts for four wins and thirteen minors. First run since August last year but has had a trial going into this preparation. Can make a case for him with an inside draw.
- CHEONNYEONUI GANG – Impressive in the second half of last year flying through the easier classes. Has had just the three runs this year and has been beaten a margin at all three. First run since March and prefer to watch at this stage.
- FIRST CHANGER – Finished second in the China Horse Industry Association Trophy in three-year-old company last start. Prior to that he finished eight lengths behind Divide Wind in Class 2 company suggesting this may be tough. Place chance.
- BARAMUI HEUNJEOK – Trailed the field in by a big margin last time out. Managed to place the start prior to that but with the 57kg on his back he appears a rough place chance at best.
- AWESOME KING IJI – Winner at 17-1 last start when burning across from the outside gate and holding off his rivals to break maiden status. Steps into Class 2 company and will find this harder.
- A PURE GOOD MAN – Son of Simon Pure who has been ultra-competitive for his connections. He plugged away last start to finish fourth when sitting on speed but the key to his chances appear the drop back to the mile. He has had two starts for two wins over the mile. Look for him to work forward early.
- THUNDER FLY – Won four in a row in the latter half of last year but has since struggled to figure in Class 2 company. Failed to run out a strong 1800m last start so the drop back to the mile may assist. Needs to improve.
- MAKING SEUNGNI – Lightweight chance who looks a place chance in this field. Form on wet tracks is questionable.
- ROCK HARD SEVEN – Fourth run this preparation. Was well back last start with a wide draw and will have to overcome an outside gate once again.
- ADELE STAR – 30-1 winner last start in Class 3 company and has now gone up in class. Steps up two furlongs to the 1600m which may be asking too much.
- COOL MINT – Was sent out at short odds at his first run in Class 2 company last start and struggled. No real excuses can be made for him on that occasion. First time over the mile today.
|Selections||(7) A Pure Good Man (2) Triple Party (4) First Changer (9) Making Seungni|
|Next Best||8, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 10: Class 1 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
- DYNAMIC JILJU – Normally drops out and will not be benefited from an inside draw. Hits the line strong but needs to improve a few lengths.
- SUN LIGHTING – Second to Ultra Rocket last start was impressive and gets the perfect draw for his style of racing. Can sustain an early speed and hit the line strong. Looks one of the main chances.
- CHEONMA – Struggled on a wet track last time out but runs prior were good when finishing third on consecutive occasions. Has a strong turn of foot on his day.
- DANGDAE GEOLJAK – First time over this distance against this type of company. Based on recent form hard to suggest.
- THUNDER LIGHT – Struggled since being promoted to Class One company. Drawn a better gate for this assignment so should have every chance.
- CLEAN UP BOARD – Winner of four from eleven but found it tough last start when lining up against the Class One gallopers for the first time. Look for improvement.
- CUPID POWER – Looks safely held here on recent performance.
- GEUMTUSA – Speedy type who will be looking to hold on to a top three finish. Normally ridden aggressively but suggest a few will run over the top of him.
- HEUNGRYONG – Place chance in a big field. Never too far away from the winner but needs to find a few lengths if he wants to threaten.
- CHEONGDAM DAERO – Won three from twenty-one and out of form currently. Prefer others.
- ULTRA ROCKET – Exciting type who can run a quicker sectional than most of the field. Saluted in Class One company last start and as a result will have to show that turn of foot with 57kg on his back. Watch for him to start lengthening at the top of the straight.
- TOUR ROSE – Has struggled in some Open Class events this year. Needs to improve.
- CHANMA – Drops back to the 1800m after finishing midfield over 2300m last start. Prefer others.
- WILD THUNDER – Resumed in March where he failed to beat a runner home. Tough task.
|Selections||(11) Ultra Rocket (2) Sun Lighting (3) Cheonma (8) Geumtusa|
|Next Best||9, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 11: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
- HOENG UN GOL – First run since November last year. Has had a trial coming into this preparation when finishing second in a moderate time. Prefer to watch first up.
- CALLIOPE – Significant drop back to the 1200m today after failing to run the 1800m out last start. Looks safely held.
- YAHO SMART CAT – Generally well performed over the 1200m including a win last start in Class 3 company. Steps up in class with little weight relief but appears and each way chance.
- PRINCE MEMORY – Australian bred who has raced well in his eleven-start career. 56kg the query but drawn well and has proved competitive in this class.
- SUPER CAPTAIN – Resumed in March and hasn’t shown anywhere near the ability seen last year.
- PRIMA QUEEN – Resumed last start with an admirable sixth in similar company. Look for improvement today. Race well last preparation.
- JANGSAN WILD – Always thereabouts in this company and once again can make a case for him. Keep him safe in your novelties.
- HANSEN GLORY – Was well thought of last start when finishing midfield when having his first crack at Class 2 company. Ultra consistent type and a forward showing would not surprise.
- STAR CAT – Been well back at his three runs this year. Moon Se Young retains the ride but hard to suggest.
- STORM RYKER – Comes out of the Yaho Smart Cat when second and both of them have been promoted to Class 2 company. Racing well but this is tougher.
- BARAM SOGEURO – Finished well back at his past couple and hard to suggest from the draw.
- CIRCLE DANCER – Struggled to fill a place with light weights on his back of late. Looks safely held in this event.
|Selections||(4) Prince Memory (8) Hansen Glory (6) Prima Queen (3) Yaho Smart Cat|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 10|