Racing returns from the Lunar New year break with a bumper 12-race Friday meeting at Busan from 11:30 to 18:00. Top jockey Seo Seung-un is back from national service and gets straight into action with ten mounts across the card. There is also an appearance by New Legend, seeking to take his undefeated streak in Korea to four. He’s hot favourite in race 11. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(2) GOLDEN SHARP will be the pick here. Having hinted at ability across his first four starts he improved to 2nd last time behind a good-looking winner. He’s well drawn to lead and can make the breakthrough here. (8) B.K. SOUND was ordinary on debut but has since registered a 2nd and a 3rd and is sure to be close here. (11) FUNKY ran a good 3rd last start and with a top jockey on today can at least match while (10) HAPPY GATE also looks to be figuring things out. There’s just one debut-maker. (4) FINE TRUMPET trialled all the way back in November behind the excellent Seobu Cat and while it’s taken him a while to get to the track, both stable and jockey – he’s the first ride back for Seo Seung-un – make for some appeal.
|Selections||(2) Golden Sharp (4) Fine Trumpet (11) Funky (8) B.K. Sound|
|Next Best||10, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
More three-year-old maidens here with six of them racing for the first time. It’s hard to look too far past (11) HALLA HWANGHU though. She’s shown good progress over her three outings to date and was a front-runner 2nd on her latest effort six weeks ago. She’s drawn wide here but can overcome that and can win. (4) ACE BOOM on the other hand is drawn nicely – much better than on two previous tries at this distance – and she can improve on the 4th she registered at 1300M last time out. Neither (5) ECTON SMILE nor (8) MUNHWA SIGNATURE did too much wrong on their respective debuts and both can improve here, as can (9) DOCTOR MIMI, whose 5th last start was her best so far.
|Selections||(11) Halla Hwanghu (4) Ace Boom (8) Munhwa Signature (9) Doctor Mimi|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 11|
Race 3: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(8) SILLAUI MISO is up in class having notched her maiden win by five-lengths on January 18th and she could well score again in this very competitive all-filly affair. Three others join her in stepping up in level, all following their respective maiden scores and of them (4) FANTASTIC GIRL and (7) LUCKY NUMBER ONE look best equipped to make an immediate impact. Five of the others faced each other at this class and distance on January 18th, a race won by promising filly Nakita. (1) S S YOUNG finished the best of them that day in 2nd and she can go well once more. (10) USEUNG TICKET and (2) MAKGANG YEOGEOL came home 3rd and 4th and they too should be competitive.
|Selections||(8) Sillaui Miso (7) Lucky Number One (1) S S Young (4) Fantastic Girl|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 8, 9|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(3) NORMAL CLASSIC was a much-improved 2nd on his second career start on January 18th, leading for much of the way at this distance before ultimately being beaten. He should have come on for that run and can be on pace once more, this time coming home on top. (8) DAMYANG CHOEGANG also comes in having finished 2nd on his latest outing. That was in an admittedly weak class and distance affair on January 11th, however, he did beat (6) DONGBANG WARRIOR and (10) DAEHEUNG SIDAE, who came home within a length of him in 3rd and 4th. All three should be competitive here. (7) WONDERFUL SINGS is another who looks to have improvement in him; he came from well off the pace to run 4th over 1000M last month and looks ready to try this distance again today.
|Selections||(3) Normal Classic (8) Damyang Choegang (7) Wonderful Sings (6) Dongbang Warrior|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 8|
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
This is a strong race for the level. The pick is (7) RACING GALLOPER, who ran a close 2nd on his first try at this level last time having picked up his maiden win in December. He should be close to the early pace and can win. So too can plenty of others. (2) GHOST RIDER finished 3rd on his first try at the level last month. This is his first attempt at 1300M, and he should go close. (12) ROCK HARD QUEEN steps up in class after a nice looking nine-length win five weeks ago and has enough about her to be competitive at this level. (3) TRIPLE SILVER is already proven competitive in such company and while a win would be a surprise, he won’t be too far away. Similarly (5) MEISTER GO remains a maiden but was only beaten half a length last time out and can go close once more. The wildcard is (4) POWER TOUCH. He won on debut in November but reared up at the start on reappearance and took no part in the race. He was stood down for two months as a result and sent back to trial. He was underwhelming in that but he’s out of a Korean Oaks winner and is from the top stable so will tempt plenty.
|Selections||(7) Racing Galloper (12) Rock Hard Queen (4) Power Touch (2) Ghost Rider|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 9|
Race 6: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(9) FOX COLORING was beaten six-lengths into 2nd by a good winner a month ago and he looks ready to shed his maiden tag here. He won’t lead but can sit handy and with the distance likely to suit, he should be too strong. (2) HAENGBOK KOREA ran on very nicely on debut last month at 1300M and he’s another one who should benefit from the additional trip today. That’s true too for (3) BAEKDU DAEHO, who has been hovering outside the places for a while and can get closer this time. (4) POWERFUL PIT has plenty of experience over a mile and can be respected for his 3rd place last time out. (10) HARVEST SEASON has also raced at this distance in the past and returns to it today having run a good 3rd over 1300M three weeks ago.
|Selections||(9) Fox Coloring (2) Haengbok Korea (4) Powerful Pit (3) Baekdu Daeho|
|Next Best||10, 5|
|Fast Start||6, 11|
Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
After beginning his career with a pair of 3rd place finishes, (3) GABO DAY has proceeded to win his next two with plenty in hand. He’s up in class today but looks to have plenty more in him and he’ll be favourite to make it three in a row here. (7) YEONGGWANGUI SIDAE recorded back to back victories herself last autumn and while she has found this level a bit tougher, she’s beautifully in the weights and shouldn’t be far away. (2) OCEAN PHOENIX was a somewhat surprising winner three weeks ago but the manner of it means that despite being up in class today, she warrants consideration. (4) BUSAN BOLT could well continue her run of 4th place finishes while (9) JANGHAN JILJU is another who should be in the frame.
|Selections||(3) Gabo Day (7) Yeonggwangui Sidae (2) Ocean Phoenix (4) Busan Bolt|
|Next Best||9, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 7|
Race 8: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(8) GLITTER may yet find himself on the Classic trail and a win here will boost his credentials. The distance suits and he was just beaten half a length last time out four weeks ago. He’ll be close to the pace and is very much the one to beat. (7) BAEKDU QUEEN was just a length behind Glitter in that race last month and is one of a number of credible challengers here. (12) REVERSE SWEEP has a win and three runner-up finishes from just four starts so far. He weakened slightly in the closing stages of his first try at this trip a month ago but can come on from that and maintain his strong start here. (5) TOUGH GREEN’s recent form reads well and looks ready to try a mile for the first time. (9) I’M YOUR STAR won at this class over 1200M last month. He’s won at this distance in the past as well and while top weight is a concern, he can’t be ruled out.
|Selections||(8) Glitter (12) Reverse Sweep (5) Tough Green (7) Baekdu Queen|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 8|
Race 9: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(6) YEONGGWANG VICTORY defied odds in excess of 70/1 to win at class and distance on January 4th. That was her second start back following seven months off and the Uncle Mo filly can strike again today. The principle danger is (4) K PLUS WON. He’s up in class after a good win over 1300M last time and while a previous crack at this distance didn’t work out well, he looks ready for another go here. (9) JET DIA remains a maiden but has gone close in each of his latest three outings and should be in contention again today. (2) WHIIK and (12) ACE JILJU are among others with placing claims.
|Selections||(6) Yeonggwang Victory (4) K Plus Won (9) Jet Dia (2) Whiik|
|Next Best||12, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4|
Race 10: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(9) FIRST CHANGER was also hot favourite on his last start on January 6th but scarcely featured and ended up only beating one home. He was later found to have had a respiratory illness and now that’s cleared up, he should be much better this time and has a top jockey on board. (3) JJA JAN is another who got beaten as odds-on favourite last time but his eventual 2nd was still enough to be promoted in class today. If he can get a fast start here, then he can cause problems. (4) CHANGJO DAERO is another up in class, in his case having won at this distance last time and he should be competitive. (2) BOUND MYEONGUN and (12) LUCKY KOREA are others who are capable of competing for at least the places.
|Selections||(9) First Changer (3) Jja Jan (4) Changjo Daero (2) Bound Myeongun|
|Next Best||12, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 9, 12|
Race 11: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(10) NEW LEGEND, who began his career in the United States, is three for three so far in Korea so far and was a class and distance winner last time out a month ago. He carries an additional 5kg today but should be way too talented for this field and surely maintains his 100% record. He’ll be the shortest pried favourite of the day. (4) MR. SCAT is a useful type who has two class and distance 2nd places already and can add another here. (1) YEONGUNG JEWANG is up in class and also in distance and could be an interesting outsider to snatch a place. (5) BAROGA was beaten four-lengths by New Legend last time – it could have been much more – and should have the beating of plenty of these. (6) ADELEUI JINJU another with placing claims.
|Selections||(10) New Legend (4) Mr. Scat (1) Yeongung Jewang (5) Baroga|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 10|
Race 12: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Strong race to conclude with. After a promising juvenile campaign, (10) YEONGCHEON DERBY didn’t really hit the heights as a three-year-old last year. Nevertheless, she’s won five from nine in total and kicked off 2019 by comfortably beating three of these on her way to a four-length win over 1200M on January 6th. She carries more weight here but has solid claims to win again. (12) ACE DOLPUNG won a similar class and distance race on January 18th and can be competitive again despite carrying an additional 4kg this time. However, the pick here was 3rd that day. (9) CORE BLADE might well have got much closer than 3rd had she not been wiped out coming out of the gate. If she avoids trouble today, she can win. (3) THUNDER FLY saw a run of four straight wins come to an end when trying this class for the first time at the end of December. He ran well for 4th though and should be competitive. (5) CATCH NINE drops back in trip today and can improve.
|Selections||(9) Core Blade (10) Yeongcheon Derby (12) Ace Dolpung (3) Thunder Fly|
|Next Best||5, 1, 4|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 10|