A big 13-race card to welcome racing back to the capital following the Lunar New Year holiday. Race 1 at 10:45 and race 13 at 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
The opener is restricted to three-year-old maidens. (4) BIG PRO has shown some ability over three outings so far. He was a narrowly beaten favourite over a slow-running track last month and is well worth another chance to get things right today. (8) O PI M J did nothing on debut in December but returned last month to run a much improved 2nd place, running on very pleasingly and into contention today. (5) BUCKETFUL GOLD raced greenly in his two starts last autumn to the extent that he got suspended for two months and ordered to do two trials. He’s looked much more competent when completing those and with improved manners, we should see an improved performance today. (6) BLACK WINGWING was a disappointing last on January 6th but went well on debut and gets another chance. (1) P. K. JEONSA and (3) PINEAPPLE MARK others in the frame.
|Selections||(4) Big Pro (5) Bucketful Gold (6) Black Wingwing (8) O Pi M J|
|Next Best||1, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 9|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(7) MAGPIE was a 50/1 chance on debut over 1000M on January 19th but didn’t run like one as she came from of the pace to come home 2nd. She steps up in trip today and she should win. (2) REAL GANGJA has a couple of 3rd places to his name already and if we draw a line through his latest effort, can go close. (1) KAHINAH and (4) JEOKTO BIMA have also hinted at some ability and should be looking to place. Wildcard is (12) SERA YEOJE who left It far too late on debut but did actually finish off nicely and is another who may like the step up in distance.
|Selections||(7) Magpie (1) Kahinah (2) Real Gangja (12) Sera Yeoje|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 10, 11|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(11) OKAY TAP was 3rd on debut and 2nd on re-appearance last month, the latter at this distance. Finishing anywhere inside the top three will be enough to send him up in class next time and it’s likely he’ll bow out of the bottom tier a winner here. (9) JEONGMUN SARANG’s showed promise as a juvenile and was an also-ran in Seoul’s top race for two-year-olds. He’s not run since, but this looks a nice assignment to ease back into things. (5) COILRO ran a solid 3rd on debut and while she was 6th of 9 on her second start, she too should be closer today. (3) DELTA BROTHER and (7) MENI SPEED both ran adequately on their respective debuts at 1000M and both could show improvement here.
|Selections||(11) Okay Tap (9) Jeongmun Sarang (5) Coilro (3) Delta Brother|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 9|
Race 4: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maiden fillies only here. Eight of them have raced before, none especially convincingly. Fortunately, we have a couple of promising debut-makers. Both (2) SIMON QUEEN and (5) GEOM HYANG showed well in trials and couldn’t have picked a nicer race to start in. The latter of the pair is the more fancied first-up. They’ll have to beat a returnee who didn’t cover herself in glory on debut on December 1st. That’s (9) JEMA TEUKGEUP, who after getting bumped at the start proceeded to first hang outwards and then veer out of running completely around the turn. Stewards ordered her to trial three times before being allowed to race again and she has looked steadily more impressive over the course of them. Manners shouldn’t be a problem this time and she can win. Of the ones who have actually completed a race, (1) CENTER POLE and (4) COMPLETE MOTION look best.
|Selections||(9) Jema Teukgeup (2) Simon Queen (5) Geom Hyang (1) Center Pole|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Fillies only and it’s a really competitive handicap. Slight pick is (10) CHARON BLADE, who beat a couple of these on her way to a solid 2nd place on her first try at this class on January 12th. Prior to that she beat (6) HORSE QUEEN by a nose when scoring her maiden win at this trip in December and she can win today. Horse Queen followed up by making all to win at this distance in early January. She’ll have to improve today but should be in the hunt as should (3) UDAERYUNG, one for one having sored on debut by a cool three lengths a month ago. The latest outings of both (4) ROMAN BLADE beat (1) HOMECOMING as the pair ran 2nd and 6th over this distance on January 6th. The latter has a low draw for the first time and looks set to improve. We can also strike a line through the latest effort from (2) THANK YOU MOTHER. She drops back in trip today and should be a very different prospect.
|Selections||(10) Charon Blade (1) Homecoming (2) Thank You Mother (3) Udaeryung|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 8|
Race 6: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Another competitive race although this time we have a set of maidens who look equal in their fragility. Only five have tried the distance before, the others sent up to try something different. That may pay off for (4) RAON STELLA, who has finished either 4th or 5th in all five of her appearances to date. She has always been making ground at the end before running out of track so the additional distance today should be to her benefit. That’s true too for (9) GEUMBIT TANHWAN, who enters following back to back 3rd place finishes over 1300M and has scope to get better. Four of the five who have tackled this trip before raced each other on January 12th. (7) RAON JEWANG came out on top that day, finishing in 3rd place ahead of (10) HARD PRINCESS in 4th, (8) EDWIN in 5th and (1) DAL SUNI in 6th. All can aim to find the places here although figuring out in which order is the tricky part.
|Selections||(4) Raon Stella (9) Geumbit Tanhwan (7) Raon Jewang (8) Edwin|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7|
Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
The smallest field of the day but intriguing nonetheless as most of these step up to two turns for the first time in the hopes of shedding their maiden tag. (9) DAEGUN JEPAE looks the most likely with two 2nd s and 3rd from three tries so far. He’s likely to be on pace here and under Antonio Da Silva can go all the way. Both (2) THE SPIKER’s starts have been at 1000M and he’s shown speed. He’s also run on well and is in the hunt. (3) HWANSANG STAR showed a dramatic improvement when stepped up to 1300M, running 2nd. The hope will be that more distance will mean more improvement here. The only one who has raced at 1700M before is (6) FLASH JET and he’s done it three times already with a 2nd and a 3rd among them. He’ll go right to the back and can pick plenty off in the closing stages.
|Selections||(9) Daegun Jepae (2) The Spiker (6) Flash Jet (3) Hwansang Star|
|Next Best||5, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 9|
Race 8: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(9) CHOIN BOLT obliged when odds-on favourite on debut on January 19th at this distance. He’s up in class here but is the pick to make it two out of two. (8) DAE UNHA remains a maiden after nine attempts but is rarely far away and he should continue that here. (1) CUPID STORM was a surprising (as in 40/1 surprising) class and distance winner on January 12th. Lightning could strike twice, and he warrants more respect today although the additional 3kg may not help. Behind him that day was (7) HAEDEULMOE, who was resuming after three months off and should improve here. (4) SPECIAL LIGHT has run well in his latest two and is another to consider as is (10) RAON DOLPUNG.
|Selections||(9) Choin Bolt (8) Dae Unha (10) Raon Dolpung (7) Haedeulmore|
|Next Best||4, 6|
|Fast Start||7, 9, 12|
Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Very tricky contest. Let’s start by considering the solitary debut-maker, a three-year-old gelding by Fiber Sonde called (3) LIL’ PATRON. He looked very competent when winning a trial just two weeks ago and if he brings that form to the track, there is every chance he can make a winning start. (10) HWANG GEUM SAJA was a class and distance winner last start and should go well again while (11) GOLDEN DIAL and (4) CHANGE MAKER ran 4th and 5th respectively when they raced each other on January 12th. Both are still quite inexperienced and with scope for improvement. That’s true too for (12) PREEM VISION, who had a hard time over 1700M a month ago and should be better back in trip today.
|Selections||(3) Lil’ Patron (12) Preem Vision (10) Hwang Geum Saja (11) Golden Dial|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 9, 10|
Race 10: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) HEUNG BARAM has come back into form of late, winning his latest two in fine fashion, both at this distance and the latter at this class. He can make it three in a row here. (9) HANSEN GLORY snapped a strong of 3rd place finishes by coming home on top at class and distance on January 5th, beating three of these in the process and he is the main danger. (12) BIG EAR was 3rd in that race and should be close once more, as should (2) MAGIC TEN, who may not have quite lived up to her early promise but is still a solid competitor at this level. A winner of three from seven so far and up in class today, (4) SOL PARANG is another who may be considered.
|Selections||(7) Heung Baram (9) Hansen Glory (12) Big Ear (2) Magic Ten|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 5|
Race 11: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(11) DEOBUREO SOOP was a handy class and distance winner on January 13th. He carries an additional 3kg today, but a repeat is not impossible. It won’t be easy though. (10) STRONG RUNNER has finished no worse than 4th in any of his last ten outings, the latter six of which have been at this distance. He’ll maintain that record today, settling behind the early leaders, and he could add to his two wins. (2) JEJUI HEUKSEON and (3) CLEAN UP SECRET come in having run 3rd and 4th in a similar class and distance race on January 5th and both are in the hunt today. (7) HANYANG GONGJU looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(11) Deobureo Soop (2) Jejui Heukseon (10) Strong Runner (3) Clean Up Secret|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7|
Race 12: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(4) THUNDER BLADE stepped up to this class and distance on January 6th and ran a good 2nd on what was just his fourth career start. He should have come on for that and could be the one to beat here. It’s a really good-looking race though. (9) JUNGDONG JIJON comes in looking for a hat-trick of wins with the latest coming at class and distance on January 12th. Naturally he’s up in the weights as a result but not prohibitively so and he can win again. (10) CHOEGANG GOSU was 2nd in that race a month ago on what was his first try at both class and distance and he can be a danger today. (8) IGYEOJUMA is a class and distance winner too and comes in having been 4th behind Thunder Blade last time and can match or better that here.
|Selections||(4) Thunder Blade (9) Jungdong Jijon (10) Choegang Gosu (8) Igyeojuma|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 8|
Race 13: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(5) DOKDO JIGI has won four in a row in a streak that stretches back to last April. He was a fast winner in wet conditions in early December and that’s what brings him up in class today. He only races sparingly but when right is a talent and he should be able to adapt both to this level and to his first try at 1400M. (2) WONDERFUL CHAMPION is up in class but beautifully in the weights and should get close while (6) BLUE WOLF and (11) PENETRO are both capable performers. (8) ROYAL PARK drops back in trip after two solid performances around two turns and can be a danger too. (12) NOVEMBER MORNING has put together three solid finishes in his latest outings and while a win seems unlikely, he can challenge for the places again.
|Selections||(5) Dokgo Jigi (2) Wonderful Champion (11) Penetro (12) November Morning|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 9|