There are no fewer than 15 races at Seoul this Saturday with the 1st at 2pm and the last at 9pm. There’s no Manoel Nunes as he is away riding in the Macau Derby and no Antonio Da Silva as he is at Busan to ride Mighty Ssing in the Owners’ Cup on Sunday While Johan Victoire and David Breux are both in France. So there are plenty of opportunities for the locals this week:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(9) GRAND DOLPUNG got his career-best result to date last time out, running 2nd over this distance and the Hansen colt can go one better today for a stable that has been coming into form over the past couple of weeks. (5) GUDSEEORA too enters off a much-improved 2nd just two weeks ago and backs up quickly with chances although (3) ULTRA MISSILE, who is likely to lead from the gate, may be a bigger danger. (2) RUSSEL and (10) MIRACLE GOLD are two others who can have potential to improve on promising – if not exactly quick – recent efforts.
|Selections||(9) Grand Dolpung (3) Ultra Missile (10) Miracle Gold (5) Gudseeora|
|Next Best||2, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 11|
Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Two-year-old maidens only and three of the seven have raced before. The one that showed the most was (7) HAEDEULMOE, who ran 3rd at 1000M on July 1st. He finished a cool twelve lengths behind a good winner but he ran on nicely and the extra furlong should suit. (5) GEOTAP did nothing wrong either on his debut comfortably finishing in midfield, also at 1000M and should improve today. There are a couple of useful debut-makers though and (3) SMARTY ADELE could well jump the favourite. She’s from the top Song Moon Gil stable and looked competent when running 3rd in a trial in a quicker time than many race in and if she brings that form to the track, she has a serious chance and could well get an uncontested early lead. (1) GEUMA KINGDOM and (6) RAON STELLA are the other first-timers to keep an eye on.
|Selections||(3) Smarty Adele (7) Haedeulmoe (5) Geotap (6) Raon Stella|
Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
More two-year-old maidens. Half of the eight have raced once before and it was (8) GOD OF SOCKS who went the best, finishing 2nd over 1000M ten lengths behind a good winner (and ahead of Haedeulmoe from race 2) on July 1st and he can win today. (6) TOHAMSAN POWER and (3) LAO JIN also debuted in that race, running 5th and 7th respectively and both can improve here. Lao Jin went back to trial just last week and performed very well suggesting she may be the greater danger this time. The first-timers here didn’t really catch the eye in trials. The best look to be (4) BARAMUI MISO and (7) GEUMBIT TANHWAN.
|Selections||(8) God Of Socks (3) Lao Jin (6) Tohamsan Power (4) Baramui Miso|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8|
Race 4: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(8) BRAVO ILSIN come sin off a 3rd and a 2nd from her latest two having led both at some stage. They were at 1300M and she drops slightly back in trip today with a big chance of coming home on top. (2) LOVELY NUTE ran twice without distinction at the tail-end of last year and returns after a full thirty weeks out. She’s moved to Simon Foster’s barn now and looked a much improved animal when trialing two weeks ago and will be a danger here. (5) RAON GANGHO has been close in each of his last five outings and although he’s never managed better than 3rd, can aim for at least the places here. (1) SONGAM JEUNE and (3) JEONGMUN JEKI are others who can go close.
|Selections||(8) Bravo Ilsin (2) Lovely Nute (5) Raon Gangho (3) Jeongmun Jeki|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 8|
Race 5: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(6) MAIN EVENT beat both (5) SAMAE STAR and (7) TAEWANG SINHWA on his way to 2nd place at this distance on June 30th. That was something of an upset but Main Even will need some respect today and could repeat. Nevertheless, Taewang Sinhwa, who never looked hugely comfortable from a wide draw that day, has gone close in the past and has every chance of overturning the form here. (4) POX RANGER may be the one they all need to beat though. She was 3rd the last time she raced at this distance in May and held her own in a reasonably stiff 1000M contest at the beginning of this month. Expect her to be ridden to the lead today with every chance of staying on. (9) Cheonsang Giun and (11) Speed Captain others who may get involved.
|Selections||(4) Pox Ranger (7) Taewang Sinhwa (6) Main Event (11) Speed Captain|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 11|
Race 6: Class 4 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
A rare maiden for two-year-old imports sees six first-timer starters and one who has raced one time before. All things being equal, the actual race experience can be important, especially if they ran well and (1) NAUI BICHIYEO did exactly that. The Mission Impazible colt ran 3rd of 7 at this distance on June 16th and can progress from that to the winner’s circle today. (7) THANK YOU CHARLIE made all to “win” his trial by a full four-lengths and the Adios Charlie colt is sure to attract some support first-up as is (3) MUNHAK TIGER, by a stallion, To Honor And Serve, who is so popular in Korea that he was purchased by local interests. Munhak Tiger also led for the majority of his trial before running 2nd to a filly, Baeksan Meniqueen, who won on her own debut last week. (4) DAEBAK HAENGJIN and (6) SPRING BACK also caught the eye and can go well in what may turn out to be a useful race.
|Selections||(1) Naui Bichiyeo (3) Munhak Tiger (7) Thank You Charlie (4) Daebak Haengjin|
|Fast Start||3, 7|
Race 7: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) SHANGHAI JORDAN was an impressive all-the-way winner on debut at this distance on June 16th and the Shanghai Bobby filly, who was imported in-utero, will be hot favourite to win again. She’s up in class but should be able to overcome that and record another win for relatively new trainer Kang Hwan Min, who won his first Classic two weeks ago (Korean Oaks) and is running a remarkable strike rate at the moment. (2) SEOUL STAR ran a good class and distance 2nd on June 30th and can take advantage if the favourite makes any mistakes while (6) BIG THUNDER has also proven competitive at this level and shouldn’t be too far away. (4) KKACHILHAN GONGJU and (8) TAMNA YEOSIN, the latter up in class following a pair of 2nd place finishes, are others who can compete for places.
|Selections||(7) Shanghai Jordan (2) Seoul Star (6) Big Thunder (8) Tamna Yeosin|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 7|
Race 8: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) WONDERFUL FLY ran out an emphatic winner on debut on July 1st, scoring by 10-lengths over this distance. A number of horses he crushed that day (God Of Socks, Haedeulmoe and Tohamsan Power) will have had their second run earlier today so by the time we get round to this race, we may have a better idea of how well that form may hold up. Wonderful Fly is up in class today but can win again. (7) SOL PARANG also enters one for one although that was all the way back in April and she looked no better than average when trialing last week. That means the danger could come from (1) JEJUI HEUKSEON, who had a bad day at the office last time out but is a class and distance winner and given a better start today, should go much better. (4) GANGHWA CHONGGAK was a touch disappointing on his first try at this class last start but is worth another chance today. (6) GONG SAN, beaten by Ganghwa Chonggak at class 6 in May, looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Wonderful Fly (1) Jejui Heukseon (4) Ganghwa Chonggak (7) Sol Parang|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4|
Race 9: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(9) LONG HITTER enters after solid 2nd places at 1800M and 1700M, both at this class in his latest two. The Mineshaft colt seems to have really taken to racing at two-turns and he can settle close to the front and finish strongly to get his maiden win on what will be his sixth start. (7) JUNGDONG JIJON stepped up to two turns for the first time last start on June 23rd and it seemed to suit with him running a good 4th. He’s not the quickest out of the gate and is a little one paced but should beat plenty here. (5) MIGHTY JOHN was 5th behind Long Hitter last start and can get closer today. The veteran (3) SPASTAR has, as ever, been up and down of late but she’s always dangerous to rule out. (4) OLD IRISH BRET steps up to two turns for the first time here and may benefit.
|Selections||(9) Long Hitter (7) Jungdong jijon (5)Mighty John (3) Spastar|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 12|
Race 10: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(8) PALPAL VICTORY enters having won all three starts to date including his latest at this class over 1400M on June 30th. Today is by far his stiffest test yet though, up to two-turns for the first time and against plenty of other useful types. Nevertheless, he should be on speed from the start and it’s not impossible he could make it four in a row. (2) WONDERFUL CHAMPION looks a big threat. A class 5 winner at this distance in April, he’s been 2nd on both his subsequent outings at this level, both at 1400M and both times only narrowly beaten. Back at 1700M today, he should be a real factor in the closing stages. (9) CREMOA POWER is up in class after an eye-catching eight-length win at this distance on July 1st and is very nicely weighted here. (1) SKY DOLPUNG is also up in class and is trying the distance for the first time following a good victory over 1400M last start. (7) CHEONHA JEWANG has plenty of experience at this class and looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(8) Palpal Victory (2) Wonderful Champion (9) Cremoa Power (1) Sky Dolpung|
|Next Best||7, 12|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 12|
Race 11: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Very competitive race. (8) TAEYANGUI HUYE perhaps has the slight edge having run a good 3rd last time at 1900M. He won the last time he raced at this distance, albeit some time ago and he’s racing under a very nice weight here. (7) SPIRIT OF HANSEN and (1) BUNGMA DREAM came home 2nd and 4th respectively over 1400M three weeks ago. Bungma Dream was previously 2nd at class and distance to the very good Gutongsa in June and should get close here. Spirit Of Hansen tries two turns for the first time but can also be competitive. (5) HOWIMUSA was beaten by Bungma Dream in that June race, coming 4th. He followed up with 5th, again at class and distance two weeks ago, and can look to improve this time. (2) JEONGAN KINGDOM is up in class after a somewhat unexpected win at 1700M last month but is another who can go well under a light weight here.
|Selections||(8) Taeyangui Huye (1) Bungma Dream (7) Spirit Of Hansen (5) Howimusa|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7|
Race 12: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(6) HAENGBOK STAR has gone close on all five of his starts so far and today there should be no excuse. He can get straight to the front from gate 6 and should have few problems seeing this field off. If, however, he is to come up slightly short once more, (1) SKY STORM and (8) BARAM KING are both up in class after victories last time and can be competitive, while (7) BORN WINNER has a lot of experience at this level and while a little inconsistent, is capable of beating most of these on his day. (4) WHITE CUPID drops back in trip after a good 2nd place over 1700M last start and is also in the placing frame.
|Selections||(6) Haengbok Star (1) Sky Storm (8) Baram King (7) Born Winner|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6|
Race 13: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) RAON ZEUS is up in class following a hard-fought victory over 1000M in May. He’s had ten weeks off since then and while this is his first try at further than the minimum distance, he looks to have every chance to step up and win. (6) NEUNGRYEOK SIDAE looks the biggest danger having run 4th and 3rd in her latest two, both at 1300M. She too is up at 1400M for the first time today and will likely join Raon Zeus on the early speed and compete all the way. The rest are going to have to need to improve to compete with (3) SUN PLAZA and (7) ORANGE SOCKS perhaps the most likely.
|Selections||(5) Raon Zeus (6) Neungryeok Sidae (7) Orange Socks (3) Sun Plaza|
|Fast Start||5, 6|
Race 14: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(5) GAON CHAMP looked a freak in winning all three of his outings as a juvenile last year but on his return in March was beaten by Mask (subsequently 2nd in the Korean Derby) in Seoul’s Classic trial. He went to Busan for the 1st leg of the Triple Crown but was fractious in the gates and while he briefly showed at the front early, he weakened for 6th. He’s had almost four months off since then but back at 1200M for his return, has every chance of winning. (2) GALAXY POWER is a winner of three form six so far and races for the first time since being narrowly headed in a valuable race over 1400M in early June. Like Gaon Champ, he’s among anumber who will want to be on pace early here and has every chance. (1) NEW PARTNER and (8) GLOBAL BANK came home 2nd and 3rd at class and distance on June 9th and they too should be closely involved here. On the more experienced side of things, (4) LEAD QUEEN is a class and distance winner and is another who, given a good start, can play a big role.
|Selections||(5) Gaon Champ (2) Galaxy Power (1) New Partner (8) Global Bank|
|Next Best||4, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 5, 7|
Race 15: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(1) OHTHE PAZIBILITIES and (3) EMPIRE KINGDOM came home 2nd and 3rd respectively over class and distance on a very wet track on July 1st. The pair of them have every chance of fighting it out for top honours this time and Empire Kingdom – who beat Ohthe Pazibilties when winning in June, can come out on top here. (5) IGYEOJUMA drops back in trip having run 4th over 1400M on June 10th and should go close while (6) V KHAN was an unexpected class and distance winner on June 9th and despite additional weight today, may be considered again. (9) USEUNG TEUKKI is up in class having pulled off an all-the-way four-length win at the distance just two weeks ago and is another who can’t be ruled out.
|Selections||(3) Empire Kingdom (1) Ohthe Pazibilities (5) Igyeojuma (9) Useung Teukki|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7, 9|