The first big juvenile races of the year take place at Seoul and Busan on Sunday afternoon, with both tracks hosting their “Rookie Stakes”. Both also have class 1 action. There are 10 races at Seoul from 1):45 to 18:00 and 7 at Busan from 11:35 to 17:05. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens in the opener with six of the ten racing for the first time. The experience here is quite good though, especially (8) RAON THE HIGHMAN. After winning a trial, he ran out a narrow 2nd on debut over this distance on July 24th in a fast time. A repeat of that run should see him winning here. (3) LUCKY POWER has raced twice with a 3rd and a 2nd, the latter in a fast time. He draws well here and can go close. (9) GEUMA ALLURE similarly improved at start number two, running 3rd having led in the home straight on July 30th. She too can continue her development here. As for the first timers (4) JUMONG CHEONHA won his trial in a good time and looks to have the best chance here. (7) SUPER FINISH also showed a bit of speed when runner-up in the second of his two trials and can go well first-up.
|Selections||(8) Raon The Highman (3) Lucky Power (9) Geuma Allure (4) Jumong Cheonha|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
More juvenile maidens. (8) NAOL SNIPER has a 4th and a 2nd in two starts so far, running on well both times. He looks to have more improvement in him and can be winning here. (1) DUSON CLASSIC is the main danger. She has a 2nd and a 3rd from her two appearances, the latter when she led until the final furlong coming home in a fast time on a fast track. She draws very nicely and will be in this a long way once more. There are three debut-makers and (3) NANOMETA is the clear top choice among them He won a trial in late July in fine style, sitting handy and then running away from the rest. If he brings that form to the races, he will go close. (9) LAST PITCH and (4) GWANCGCHIGI are others in the frame.
|Selections||(8) Naol Sniper (1) Duson Classic (3) Nanometa (9) Last Pitch|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 8|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens open things on the south coast with all but two of the nine racing for the first time. The two of them showed ability on their debuts, in the same race on July 29th, and will have plenty of backers here. (2) CHOICE RUN is set to be favourite, overcoming gate eleven that day to get to a handy position and then come hoe 3rd in a fast time. He draws much better this time and can win. (8) SOLEDAD ran on well for 4th in the same race, finishing five-lengths behind Choice Run. She should have come on for the experience and can get closer today. (7) HONOR LORD caught the eye in trials. The heat wasn’t a fast one, but he crossed the line a full twelve-lengths ahead of anything else and he will have backers on debut. (5) KF OGONG and (9) VEREUDA, the latter a trial winner, are other first-timers to consider.
|Selections||(2) Choice Run (8) Soledad (7) Honor Lord (5) KF Ogong|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) FLASH THUNDER was an all the way winner over this distance at class 6 level two starts back before running 4th on July 23rd on his first try at this level, beating a couple of today’s rivals in the process. He has the fastest time of any of these at the distance and should have enough early speed to get to the lead. (9) NEMO PRINCE comes up in class having won at start number two over 1000M on July 30th when he settled back and ran on. The extra furlong can suit and under a light weight, he should be competitive. (7) MAIN OF KING is yet to win but has placed in two of his latest three outings, all at 1300M. He’ll be challenging Flash Thunder for the early lead and should be in this a long way. (2) G STAR and (1) MAESTRO are among others in contention for at least a place.
|Selections||(8) Flash Thunder (9) Nemo Prince (7) Main Of King (2) G Star|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 11, 12|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Fillies only here. (3) WISH LUCK has made steady progress over her six starts so far culminating with a 3rd place over 1300M on July 29th. She tends to get a bit far back in her races, but she looks nicely in here and today can be her day. (4) AREUMDAUN INYEON will be expected to improve off her 6th place on debut. She was favourite that day following a trial win and given the trainer/jockey combination, it will be no surprise if she is again here. (2) WONDERFUL OCEAN was a close 2nd two starts back and then an 4th on her latest on July 29th. She comes into a nice gate here and can go close. Plenty of others enter with their recent form reading relatively well and (10) PRETTY CHARM and (11) NAREUCAT look capable of placing.
|Selections||(3) Wish Luck (4) Areumdaun Inyeon (2) Wonderful Ocean (10) Pretty Charm|
|Next Best||11, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) A ONE STAR has finished no worse than 3rd in three outings to date, with his win coming at start number two over 1000M. He came from off the pace to run 2nd over 1200M on his first try at class 5 on July 30th and the step up in trip today may well be to his benefit. (4) THE REAPER is the logical second pick. He is still a maiden, but he has five runner-up finishes to his name, including last start when he was on the pace throughout and only went down narrowly. He carries the same weight today, draws nicely, and while he may well once again find one too quick, he will be in the mix once more. (12) HOEDURYEONG has been coming back into form in his latest couple. He overcame a wide gate to run 2nd over 1300M on July 30th and can do similar here. The lightly weighted (1) QUEEN OF BEST is another in the frame, as is (9) MABAWI.
|Selections||(8) A One Star (4) The Reaper (12) Hoeduryeong (1) Queen Of Best|
|Next Best||9, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 10, 12|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(12) MAHAMERU gets the verdict here. She got her maiden win at start number five over 1200M on June 19th, before running 2nd on her first try at this class on July 29th. She draws wide but she has a strong finish on her so she doesn’t need to lead, and she will surely be there or thereabouts again. (3) WONDERFUL BOBCAT is yet to win in ten attempts but has five top three finishes, including his latest four. He carries plenty of weight but draws well here and can go close. (2) ALPHA HEART overcame gate ten to run 2nd, beating Wonderful Bobcat, on July 29th. He comes up a full 3kg in the weights as a result but shouldn’t be dismissed here. The up in class (1) DANGDAE BLUE, as well as (11) WIND WINNER are among plenty if others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(12) Mahameru (3) Wonderful Bobcat (2) Alpha Heart (1) Dangdae Blue|
|Next Best||11, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(9) VICS GO will be a warm favourite to return to the winner’s circle here. He was a touch disappointing when 6th as favourite at 1400M on July 30th, but the margin wasn’t huge, and he comes down significantly in the weights with an apprentice taking the ride. He will be on pace or handy and he has a strong finish. (7) NUBI GANGJA was an also-ran in the Minister’s Cup over 2000M in June before running 3rd over 1400M on July 23rd at this level. He looks nicely in here and can go close. (2) DREAM SPEED has five runner-up finishes to her name, alongside one win. With the others who have early gate speed drawn wide, she could get an easy run to the front here and can be in this a long way. (11) COLJOY and (10) YEONGGWANGUI MISO are others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(9) Vics Go (7) Nubi Gangja (2) Dream Speed (11) Coljoy|
|Next Best||10, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 9, 10, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(1) ORANGE GARAGE can reverse the form on (3) CATCH THE SKY here. The latter beat the former when they raced one another at class and distance on July 29th. With an apprentice aboard, Catch The Sky actually comes un better at the weights this time but both draw better barriers and that could be what Orange Garage needs to turn the tables. (8) I WILL BE FREE was a beaten favourite when 4th last time out but he comes up to two turns for the first time here and it can suit. He is an on-pace galloper, so the draw is a touch wide, but he looks firmly in this. (2) SINBIHAN GANGJA has beaten plenty of these across his last couple of starts which have yielded a 3rd and a 2nd place at a mile and 1800M. The same apprentice remains aboard and from a good gate, he can be involved again. (7) GREAT DANCE another to consider.
|Selections||(1) Orange Garage (3) Catch The Sky (8) I Will Be Free (2) Sinbihan Gangja|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(6) JILJU BORN will be a warm favourite for this. He has eight top four finishes from ten starts and he scored at class and distance on June 26th, leading all the way. He is carrying 5kg more than he did that day, but he ran 2nd under 57kg last time out and from a fair draw, he can go all the way here. (12) WONDER K ran a very close 2nd to Jilju Born in that June race. He too has raced once since but despite leading over 1400M, weakened late, and finished in the pack. He can go better here. (8) YUKWAEHAN NALDEUL is ultra-consistent and is another on-pace type who should be running into money again. (3) JANGGUN BYEOL is rapidly up in class having won two of his latest three, most recently making all over 1300M. He won’t get such an easy run forward this time but can measure up in this company. (7) GLOBAL GOLD is a class and distance winner and should also be in the hunt.
|Selections||(6) Jilju Born (12) Wonder K (8) Yukwaehan Naldeul (3) Janggun Byeol|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 10, 12|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) USURP is a three-year-old who is building a very pleasing record, winning four from six in good times. He has placed at this distance and likes to race forward. This is a tough race, but he will be hard to hold out. (9) SPEED MATCH is a two-time winner at this distance and had solid form prior to a layoff. He resumes here for the first time since April and didn’t do much wrong in a trial last week. Keep him safe here. (2) BEAUTIFUL KING beat several of these on his way to 2nd place at class and distance on July 29th. That was his first attempt at this class, and he is nicely drawn to get on the speed again. (3) WARRIOR CLASS also draws well. He has won at a mile and posted a decent time when placing at this distance in the past. He is up in class bit significantly down in the weights. (1) DONGNAM BULPAE is another coming up in class. He too is significantly down in the weights and that, combined with the inside barrier, brings him right into this.
|Selections||(7) Usurp (9) Speed Match (2) Beautiful King (3) Warrior Class|
|Next Best||1, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (2) SOBERANIA’s form is all at 1200M and she was a last start class and distance winner in a fast time with a couple of these behind her. Her racing pattern is to lead, and she has a nice draw today which should help. Despite the big rise in weight, she will be hot favourite. (9) RAON THE GOLD her latest two at class 5 level over 1200M and 1300M, racing on pace both times. She comes up in class here but will still be well-fancied. (1) MAY BLADE also comes up in class having won on July 24th, leading all the way over 1300M. She can be a bit in and out but carries a light weight, draws nicely, and is a place chance on her best form. (8) SOEWAKKOT may be worth a chance at probable big odds. Disregard her last start when slowly away behind Soberania. Her previous runs were sound enough and she won in a good time over this distance at class 5. (6) BOOSTER ROCKET another in the frame.
|Selections||(2) Soberania (9) Raon The Gold (1) May Blade (8) Soewakkot|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 7|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(2) YEONGUNG LOUIS put in a nice run at level weights with Korea’s best sprinters in the SROA Chairman’s Sprint at Seoul over this distance when despite finishing 7th, he was only four-lengths from the winner. He was then a close 2nd last time out racing against many of today’s rivals, on July 29th. He draws well and as a big chance. (8) GOLDEN WINNER was in scintillating form prior to an injury that kept him side-lined for just over a year. He returned in that July 29th race and wasn’t too far off the pace. He should have come on a lot for that run and if he is anywhere near his best, he can win. (6) YES PERFECT won the July 29th race, narrowly beating Yeongung Louis. He was resuming for the first time since March, and he too is right in this again. (4) BEOLMAUI STAR can have his latest effort disregarded when slowly away and then ridden hard to catch up and get to the lead. He likes to race on pace, is drawn well to do so and he looks worthy of another chance. (9) SEOBU CAT, resuming for the first time since last November, is another to consider in a good race.
|Selections||(2) Yeongung Louis (8) Golden Winner (6) Yes Perfect (4) Beolmaui Star|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 8|
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (1200M) Rookie Stakes Seoul / Allowance / KRW 150 Million
Seoul’s first major juvenile race of the season. (4) FURIOSA is unbeaten in two starts, the latest of which was a professional showing over this distance, settling midfield and then running on late It was decent time, and she should be hard to beat. (5) HANGANG ACE is one for one having fairly bolted up over 1000M when leading early and running away from the field in the straight. The additional furlong shouldn’t be a problem. (3) GIANT PUNCH is a big, striding fellow. He did pretty much everything wrong on debut, running off on the corner, but still managed to win. He will have gained benefit from that run, he has loads of talent and with a bit more maturity can be right in this. (2) GREEN SPARK is another who is one for one, scoring in good style on debut on June 26th when handy and running on. The nice barrier should also assist her. (7) P N S LOOK another in the hunt.
|Selections||(4) Furiosa (5) Hangang Ace (3) Giant Punch (2) Green Spark|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 7|
Busan Race 7: Class Open (1200M) Rookie Stakes Busan / Allowance / KRW 1200M
(4) JEULGEOUNYEOJEONG scored a slashing win sat start number two by nine-lengths after finding trouble at the start but then racing on pace. She draws well and is the probable favourite here. (1) FANTASTIC KINGDOM comes into today’s race on a nice win when he led throughout over 1000M, beating Jeolgeounyeojeong, who was debuting. He can be competitive here. (8) BETELGEUSE won on debut by a good margin and in a solid time. He has the challenge of the wider draw here, but it is a small field. He settled handy off the leaders last time and with plenty of early speed in the race, it could suit him. (3) DOCTOR OSCAR has run on wet tracks so far, bolting in by six-lengths last time. She, along with (6) WORLD LEGEND, are others on the frame.
|Selections||(4) Jeulgeounyeojeong (1) Fantastic Kingdom (8) Betelgeuse (3) Doctor Oscar|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(2) WOW WOW will be favourite here on his last start nice win over 1700M. He is up in class here but is fairly weighted and with a good draw, there is plenty in his favour. It’s worth noting that he ran a great race in the Derby when drawn in gate fifteen, before disappointing a little in the Minister’s Cup. He’ll be on pace here and should win. (1) JEONGMUN ACE has recent solid form with a win and a 2nd in his last three starts at this class and distance. He is up in the weights today but that’s balanced by the nice draw. He tends to settle midfield and run on so may get an easier early race today. (10) JANGSAN POISON will be in the market here. Last start he was a good 3rd when having his first run at class and distance. He prefers to race towards the front so has the challenge of the barrier but should be kept safe. (12) ON POINT has placed to 1700M in class 4 and more recently has solid 1400M form with a 2nd place last start. He could make his presence felt here. (7) WINNER BLUE another in the frame.
|Selections||(2) Wow Wow (1) Jeongmun Ace (10) Jangsan Poison (12) On Point|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 10: Class 1 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 110 Million
(7) LIL’ PATRON enters in peak form having won his last two outings, both at class and distance and both times with plenty of today’s rivals behind him. The set weight scale means he doesn’t give too much away to his rivals, and he is a top chance here again. (1) VIKING STORM has won three times at 1800M, and he can have his last start disregarded when he led over 2000M before weakening late on what was his first taste of class 1. Likes to race forward so a bold showing can be expected back at 1800M and from the inside gate. It’s been a while since (8) WINNER GOLD greeted the judge, but he consistently places at this class. Disregard his last outing when disqualified and go on his previous form. An apprentice keeps his weight down. (9) WANG BEOTKKOT and (2) GALLOP CURLIN are other potentials.
|Selections||(7) Lil’ Patron (1) Viking Storm (8) Winner Gold (9) Wang Beotkkot|
|Next Best||2, 11|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 9, 10|