It’s the penultimate weekend of the summer racing season and that means Busan runs an afternoon/evening card on Friday with 7 races from 15:35 to 21:00. Here are the previews:
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
A competitive maiden to open with. (5) GEUMA UNO debuted unspectacularly last December but didn’t race again until this July. In two starts back, the now gelded runner has a 5th and a 2nd, both at 1200M and both times running on. The additional half-furlong can suit and third-up, he may be peaking. (7) SUPER CRACK is the main danger. His recent form reads well including his last start runner-up finish over 1200M when handy throughout. He can drop in behind the early leaders again here and play a big role in the finish. (1) PUNGUN JOHWA has similarly been improving of late, running 3rd on her latest appearance on July 24th. From the inside gate, she could get the lead here and be in this a long way. (6) MAIN BRIDGE raced once last December, finishing 3rd over 1000M. He looked well in a July trial and can go well first-up. First time starter (3) DASI YEONGGWANG among others to consider.
|Selections||(5) Geuma Uno (7) Super Crack (1) Pungun Johwa (6) Main Bridge|
|Next Best||3, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 8|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(5) S. L. KING remains eligible for class 6 because while he has won a race, practically making all over a mile back in April 2021, that was during the reduced prize-money era. After that win, he didn’t run again until this July 15th when he led for much of the way over 1400M before weakening late on for 6th. He should strip fitter for that run and can win here. (3) JEONGMUN CHITA has made good progress over three outings to date, stepping up to this trip and running a good 3rd two weeks ago in a time quicker than any of the rest of these have posted at the distance. He comes into a better gate today and should go close. (8) ADELE FLY came from well off the pace to run 5th ahead of S. L. King on that July 15th race. With a better start he can go closer. (7) GEUMA SMARTY ran an encouraging 4th on debut over 1300M on July 15th and along with (2) FANTASTIC YEOGEOL is a place chance.
|Selections||(5) S. L. King (3) Jeongmun Chita (8) Adele Fly (7) Geuma Smarty|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 8, 9|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) BARBELL POSEIDON may be one of just three maidens in the race, but he is favoured to change that status. He has five top-three finishes from ten outings to date and ran a very solid 2nd on his first try at a mile on July 22nd. He can settle midfield or better here and can prove too strong late on. (6) JEOKDO JEONSA was 3rd in that same race, just a length behind Barbell Poseidon. He draws a better gate today and even comes down slightly in the weights and can be competitive again. (1) MILK DAY is up in class having won over 1400M on July 29th. The mile can suit and from a great draw, he can measure up in this company. (2) GRAND CHUKJE gets an apprentice claim and can see his recent run of good form continue. (12) GEUMA INFINITE another in the hunt.
|Selections||(8) Barbell Poseidon (6) Jeokdo Jeonsa (10) Milk Day (2) Grand Chukje|
|Next Best||12, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 9|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) HANSEN ICHEON made all for a dominant seven-length win over this distance on July 24th. He comes up in class here but the manner of that victory was such that he has little to fear here and will be a short-priced favourite to score again. (11) SINUI JEONSA was a similarly emphatic winner at class 6 level on July 1st. He too is up in class and while the draw is not ideal here, the same apprentice who won on him that day keeps the weight very light and he should be competitive at this level. (6) FLYING REGAL had a poor day at the office on his first try at this level last month. His form prior to that was good though and he is worth another chance here. (9) FUNNY LIFE and (1) COLOR WIND are others who can be considered for at least a place.
|Selections||(8) Hansen Icheon (11) Sinui Jeonsa (6) Flying Regal (9) Funny Life|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 9, 11|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Competitive race with no fewer than five of the twelve coming in having won their respective latest starts. They include (3) HALLOWEEN PARTY, who is up in class following a good front-running score over 1300M on July 24th. He comes down in the weights, draws a good gate and looks to have potential for more progress. (1) FLASHY CHARM ran out a class and distance winner two starts back before finishing 3rd in a fast race on July 29th. He draws well here, an apprentice keeps his weight light and he can be a big danger. Draw a line through the latest effort from (12) GLORY KING. That was his first outing since last December and he should be fitter for the run. Prior to his layoff he was a class and distance winner and despite the wide draw, should be competitive here. (4) B. K. HANA and (7) JEONGMUN DRAGON among others with claims in a race of many chances.
|Selections||(3) Halloween Party (1) Flashy Charm (12) Glory King (4) B. K. Hana|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 9, 10, 12|
Busan Race 6: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(11) UNJU HERO beat four of today’s rivals on his way to victory over 1400M at this class on July 8th. He comes up significantly in the weights today but has won at this distance before and also ran 4th in the KRA Cup Mile. He’s the one to beat again. (2) OREUDA was second-favourite that day and duly ran 2nd, his third runner-up finish in his last four starts. He draws well to be on pace and should be able to give Unju Hero a stern examination here. (5) HANEUL JEONSA comes up in class having won well over 1300M on July 10th. A previous try at a mile might have been a bit much a bit soon and he can be given another chance here under a light weight. (4) UNJU BULPAE comes up in class following back-to-back runner-up finishes. He is down significantly in the weights and can be considered. (12) BABEL DREAMER another in the frame.
|Selections||(11) Unju Hero (2) Oreuda (5) Haneul Jeonsa (4) Unju Bulpae|
|Next Best||12, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 10, 11|
Busan Race 7: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(7) ADELE CROWN and (2) GALLANT WARRIOR came hoe 2nd and 3rd when they raced one another at class and distance on July 8th with three lengths between them and Adele Crown just missing out on victory by a nose. They both come up in the weights here but can fight it out between them for the win. (10) DUNCAN returned to action on July 17th following five months out and ran well to finish 3rd at this class and distance, racing on pace throughout. Even with just ten runners, the widest gate at the 1800M start isn’t ideal but he should have come on for that run and can be a danger again here. (3) WONDERFUL SECRET is still class 4 eligible but looks nicely in here, well drawn and under a lighter weight than in recent outings. He can sneak a place. (9) YEONGGWANGUICHUKJE another in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(7) Adele Crown (2) Gallant Warrior (10) Duncan (3) Wonderful Secret|
|Next Best||9, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 10|