The draws for the international Korea Cup and Korea Sprint took place at Seoul Racecourse on Thursday ahead of the big races on Sunday. The weekend’s action though gets underway at Busan on Friday where there are 8 races from 12:10 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens to open with and four race for the first time. (4) YEONGGWANGUI TANK is the probable favourite. He has raced twice so far, improving in the second of them when he was runner-up in a good time over this distance. Experience can be important in these kinds of races and he has solid claims to go one better today. (3) BUILD UP has also raced twice, posting decent times in both when running 3rd and 4th. Expect him to be close to the pace here and he too can continue the solid start to his career. As for the first-timers, (6) ATLAS and (8) VERLUC came home 1st and 2nd in fair times when they trialed up together on August 5th and Atlas especially will have backers for a bold showing. (1) HOTFLEX perhaps the best of the rest.
|Selections||(4) Yeonggwangui Tank (3) Build Up (6) Atlas (8) Verluc|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 8|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Filly and mare maidens and (9) GAMDONG ENERGY comes in having run a strong 3rd on August 7th, beating a couple of today’s rivals in the proves. That was her second placing finish and an apprentice jockey keeps the weight nice and light again. She has as good a chance as any. (10) J. S. DAY debuted in that August 7th race, running a solid enough 5th. Given the stable, she will be expected to improve for that run and may well start as favourite. (8) LET IT GO has two 3rd place finishes from her latest three, including last time out when she sat handy and ran on over 1300M. She is another who benefits from an apprentice keeping the weight low and she can go close again. (6) URI JOEUNNAL and (4) WONDERFUL SMARTY among others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(9) Gamdong Energy (10) J. S. Day (8) Let It Go (6) Uri Joeunnal|
|Next Best||4, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 9, 10|
Busan Race 3: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(5) DOCTOR KHALIFA will be a warm favourite here having made steady progress across his five starts so far, culminating with a 3rd and a 2nd from his latest two, both at this distance and both times beating a number of today’s rivals. He comes in under the same weight, draws well, and this time can win. (11) FASHION FORCE ONE ran 3rd behind Doctor Khalifa over this distance on August 7th, her second consecutive 3rd place finish. The draw does her no favours here but with a bit of early luck, she can be in this again. (2) SUNSHINE STAR was 4th in that same race. He was first-up that day following five months off and can strip fitter here and get closer. (1) YEONSEUNG GLORY and (10) MEOTJIN HARU are others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(5) Doctor Khalifa (11) Fashion Force One (2) Sunshine Star (1) Yeonseung Glory|
|Next Best||10, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(10) MAGIC CLASS made all to comfortably win at start number two over 1000M on July 29th. She comes up in class and slightly up in distance too, but there is no reason why either of those things should be a problem and she has solid claims to win again. The main danger is (1) HUIMANG PUNCH. A winner at this distance three starts back, she has since run twice at this level, registering a useful enough 4th place last time out when sitting handy. She draws well and should go close. (11) GRAPHENE KING is another up in class following a maiden win, in his case when making all over 1200M on August 7th. The margin was eye-catching and while just like Magic Class, he may need a bit of luck from the wide gate, he has every chance of a repeat. (12) OCEAN STORM and (7) WORLD FLOWER among others in the minor money hunt.
|Selections||(10) Magic Class (1) Huimang Punch (11) Graphene King (12) Ocean Storm|
|Next Best||7, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 10, 11, 12|
Busan Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) RAP VERSA impressed in trials and then duly obliged on his racecourse debut on August 6th, sitting handy early then taking up the running midway through over 1200M before going to score by as many as he pleased. He comes up in class and marginally in trip too but the manner of that win suggests there is more to come and he will be big favourite to strike again. (1) INDY CHOICE has been working himself back towards another win. He comes in after two front-running placings at this class over 1200M and from a great draw can get an easy run early on here and can be a danger. (6) WIDAEHAN HAMAN made all to win over 1200M on debut on July 29th. The time was as good as Rap Versa’s and she will be expected to measure up in this company. (2) SMARTY DOLPUNG and (11) TRIPLE JILJU among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(7) Rap Versa (1) Indy Choice (6) Widaehan Haman (2) Smarty Dolpung|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 12|
Busan Race 6: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A very competitive race. (2) GEUMA INFINITE comes up in class after a good win over a mile on August 19th when he overcame the widest gate to sit midfield and then take over at the top of the straight. He comes back in trip but draws well and can be considered. (3) MAN OF THE MAN had a poor day at this office on his first go at this class and distance on July 31st when slowly away and never a factor. Draw a line through that and go on his previous good form over 1200M and he looks worth another chance here. (10) SANGSEUNG BOY is yet to finish any worse than 3rd in five starts and has placed twice already at this class. He comes up in trip here but should be competitive again. Stablemates (1) BEASTLY and (6) QUEEN ALLIE are others in the frame.
|Selections||(2) Geuma Infinite (3) Man Of The Man (10) Sangseung Boy (1) Beastly|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 10, 12|
Busan Race 7: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(7) EUNSEONG YEONGUNG has consistently posted good times over this shorter trips and arrives here having only finished out of the top five on one occasion from 10 starts. He tackles the mile for the first time but there is no indication it can’t suit and he will be favourite. (6) YASAENGHWA certainly likes the mile. She was a good winner over it at class 5 level on August 7th and while up in class, she is marginally down in weight, draws well and can sit handy or on pace and run on again here. (11) MAGIC WHISPER took a couple of goes to figure things out but has been very consistent with two wins and two runner-up finishes in his latest four. An on pace galloper, the wide draw isn’t ideal, but he’ll have all of the back straight to find his preferred position. He is joined up in class by (12) YONGGARI, another who can be competitive. Back in trip, (4) SEUNGNI TOUT is among others in the placing calculations.
|Selections||(7) Eunseong Yeongung (6) Yasaenghwa (11) Magic Whisper (12) Yonggari|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 10, 11|
Busan Race 8: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(8) DUNCAN is third-up this preparation following five months out. He has run 3rd on both occasions and since coming back, most recently on August 19th, and he could be peaking here. He will need to overturn the form on (4) POKPUNG EONDEOK, who comes in having beaten Duncan when flashing home late in that August 19th race. He carries an additional 33kg today but can be in the hunt again. (9) YEOKJEON MYEONGSU has plenty of good experience at the level and enters off a solid 3rd place over this distance in June. He comes in here fresh and while he carries his fair share of weight, can be competitive. (1) QUATTRO MAX is rarely far away and looks a place chance again while (2) BURUI GEOM is another in the hunt.
|Selections||(8) Duncan (4) Pokpung Eondeok (9) Yeokjeon Myeongsu (1) Quattro Max|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 8|