It’s the final week of the summer schedule so the last chance to watch some evening racing at Seoul. There are 10 races from 14:50 to 21:00. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Filly juvenile maidens here with four of them racing for the first time. (4) RANUT went through two trials, qualifying in the first of them but then doing another on August 12th (a voluntary trial so it may not be reflected in all race cards). She sat handy in this heat before pulling clear to stop the clock in 61.9 seconds, five-lengths ahead of the rest. If she brings that form to the races, she has every chance first-up. (1) SEOUL GIPPEUM and (2) JAEWOO SIDAE ran 3rd and 4th with just a neck between them when they debuted over this distance on July 23rd. Both should be competing again, and the latter comes down in weight with an apprentice aboard. (9) RAON THE FLATTER ran a solid 4th on debut and can build on that here while returning to the first-timers (11) GLOBAL CHANGA won her heat, leading all the way. The draw does her no favours here but with some early luck, she can be in the finish.
|Selections||(4) Ranut (1) Seoul Gippeum (2) Jaewoo Sidae (9) Raon The Flatter|
|Next Best||11, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(8) HIDDEN BLADE has hinted at ability across three starts to date, all at this distance and with a best of 3rd. She has run fair times too including her latest outing when handy throughout and finishing 4th. She can sit behind the speed here and run on. (10) GOLD POWER was an improved 2nd at start number two on July 31st, having led for almost the entire race. The draw isn’t ideal here but she with a little luck at the start, she can find her way to the front again and may be hard to pass. (7) DAECHEON BEAUTY wasn’t ready when she debuted last year but has been much better since returning in April, placing twice since then, both at this distance. She has the best finish of any of these and should be coming on strong at the business end of the race. (1) SARYEONI ROKEE and (5) GANGCHEOL BUDAE among others in the frame.
|Selections||(8) Hidden Blade (10) Gold Power (7) Daecheon Beauty (1) Saryeoni Rokee|
|Next Best||5, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(5) SURE WIN has a 2nd and a 4th from two starts so far, both at 1000M and both in fast times He comes up in trip for the first time, but there is no reason why it can’t suit and from a nice draw, she can get to the lead. It’s not a sure win but she will be a short-priced favourite. (4) MORNING FIVE returned from four months out to run a solid 4th over 1300M on July 30th. She should strip fitter for that run and looks to be the main danger here. (3) HWANGOO GANGJA comes in following a much-improved runner-up finish over this distance last month. The same apprentice jockey (although only claiming 2kg now) keeps his weight relatively low and he can be competitive again. (12) GEUMSEONG SPEED and (10) RAY BOLT among others who can challenge for the places.
|Selections||(5) Sure Win (4) Morning Five (3) Hwangoo Gangja (12) Geumseong Speed|
|Next Best||10, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(9) RUBY CAT has been consistent with five of her six starts to date ending in 3rd to 5th place finishes. She returned on July 24th from a seven-month absence, picking up where she left off with a solid 3rd over this distance when on pace throughout and having benefitted from that run, looks ready to make the breakthrough here. This is a competitive race though and in (3) ECHO ZONE, there is another with solid claims. He came from midfield to run a good 2nd at this distance on July 30th in a fast time and won’t need to improve much on that run to win here. (2) SECRET KING is a debut-maker who went through two trials, improving in the second of them. He draws nicely here to get on pace and can place first-up. (4) STAR CRAZY and (5) GRACE LEE are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(9) Ruby Cat (3) Echo Zone (2) Secret King (4) Star Crazy|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 9|
Seoul Race 5: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(6) KING HONOUR has beaten some of today’s rivals in each of his last three outings, coming home 4th, 2nd and 3rd, the latter two at this distance. Last time out he sat handy before running on well for 2nd, albeit well beaten by a good winner, and in doing so posted a time for this distance faster than anything else here has recorded. He should win this. Plenty of others come in with recent form reading positively though. (1) RUNNER MONSTER was 4th behind King Honor on his latest appearance on July 2nd. He draws well here and can go close again. (4) TRIPLE JOY comes up in trip after a useful 3rd over 1300M on July 31st. He has been finishing off his races well and this can suit. (3) WONDERFUL PURGE too may appreciate the additional furlong having run on well for 5th on debut at 1200M in June. (11) QUIET CHARM among others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(6) King Honor (1) Runner Monster (4) Triple Joy (3) Wonderful Purge|
|Next Best||11, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 12|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(2) ORAE HAMKKEHAJA was a winner on debut in May and has followed up with three solid showings at this class including a 2nd and a 3rd at this distance. He was a beaten favourite on his latest appearance on July 30th having led until the final furlong and from a good draw can be on pace again and this time go all the way. (1) BODY STAR beat several of these on his way to victory at class and distance on July 24th when siting handy and running on. He comes up 2kg in the weights but draws very nicely and should be a danger again. (8) CHEONGSAN YEONGUNG and (11) K N POST came home 2nd and 3rd respectively in that same race, the latter starting as favourite, and both will be expected to be competitive once more. The up in class (6) NAEGILUI BYEOL is another to consider.
|Selections||(2) Orae Hamkkehaja (1) Body Star (8) Cheongsan Yeongung (11) K N Post|
|Next Best||6, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies only here. (9) WONPYEONG GWANGYA was a winner over this distance at class 6 level two starts back before running a very good 3rd on his first try at this class on July 24th, registering the fastest time among these for the 1200M in the process. He is an in-ace galloper, so the gate is a touch wider than ideal, but he still has every chance here. (11) DAPHNE is another who hasn’t been favoured by the draw, but she comes in off a good win over this distance on July 17th. She is up in class here, but she can measure up. (12) TROT QUEEN is yet to win in eight starts but comes in off three consecutive runner-up finishes, the latest of which was at this class. She may find one too quick again but shouldn’t be too far away. The only one of the leading contenders who does draw a good gate is (2) LAROMANEE. She comes up in class following a win over this distance on July 23rd when handy and running on and can be competitive again here. (4) CHEOLLICHONG another placing contender.
|Selections||(9) Wonpyeong Gwangya (11) Daphne (12) Trot Queen (2) Laromanee|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Eight of the twelve here come in having finished in the top-three in their respective latest starts. (6) TROTTING RILEY looks the one to beat having been an on-pace 3rd and 2nd in his latest two, both at class and distance. He only comes up 1kg here, should be on the speed again and he can go all the way. (7) TEN BAGGER was an also-ran in the Minister’s Cup in June but returned to shallower waters to run a good 3rd at this class over 1300M on a fast time at the end of July. He is very nicely weighted here and can be a danger. (9) CONCORDE SPURT coms in off back-to-back runner-up finishes at this class, most recently at this distance in a good time. He can sit handy and run on to challenge here. (2) DIA KEY was an unexpected class and distance winner on July 23rd and warrants more respect this time. (10) EUNHYE CHUNGMAN is up in class but down in weight and can go close.
|Selections||(6) Trotting Riley (7) Ten Bagger (9) Concorde Spurt (2) Dia Key|
|Next Best||10, 4|
|Fast Start||6, 9, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 9: Class 2 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(2) MIGHTY GEE has finished in the top three in ten of his eleven starts so far and has won up to 1400M. He comes in off a very smart 2nd over that distance on June 4th, his first try at class 2 and the additional furlong can suit. Crucially for the distance, he draws very well, and he can win here. (4) HEUNGROK DAEBU comes back in trip after recent work over 1800M including a win at this class in March. An apprentice takes the edge off the weight, and he has claims here. (1) HIDDEN SOCKS ran 4th at this distance last start and gets the coveted inside barrier today. He has placing claims again. (7) CUPID BABE ran 2nd in that race having led early but may have a harder time finding the front from a wider draw today. (5) CHEONJI YEOGEOL ran a solid 3rd place in the Ilgan Sports Trophy over 1800M in July and looks nicely in here
|Selections||(2) Mighty Gee (4) Heungrok Daebu (1) Hidden Socks (7) Cupid Babe|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(7) TIZ BAROWS shapes as a warm favourite in the last. He ran a super 4th in May’s Korean Derby before finishing a creditable 6th in the final leg of the Triple Crown, the Minister’s Cup, over 2000M. He has his fair share of weight here, but that form should prove too hot for this field to handle. (9) HOLIDAY CHARM ran a good 2nd at class and distance on July 31st with a couple of today’s rivals back down the track. At the start before, he was a smart winner over 1700M at class 5 level and he can keep his good form going here. (8) WONDERFUL K was behind Holiday Charm in that July 31st race. He is a winner at this class though and can get closer this time. (4) CHEON GUN and (5) ACE POWERFUL are others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(7) Tiz Barows (9) Holiday Charm (8) Wonderful K (4) Cheon Gun|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 8, 10|