There is a 15-race behind-closed-doors card at Seoul on Saturday from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
The two-year-old runners will line up over the short course in the first on the card. Only two of the eleven engaged have had a start, they are the on-top selections. (2) ADELE MUSTANG debuted in good style when clocking a good time on a dry track early last month. The Menifee colt settled behind the leader before failing to reel in the pacemaker going down two lengths behind Ultra Sidae. A similar performance should so the Song Moon-gil trained galloper go close. (6) TK BOY finished second on debut when running on well from a midfield position to finish second behind the impressive looking Heungbaragi. The margin was big but the winner looks something special. (11) HAPPY SOCKS looks best of the debutants coming off a solid trial performance. The filly will have to overcome the outside draw but with some early speed, should be able to cross in a race with not a lot of speed. (3) RAON THE SOX looks next best but will need to take improvement off her trial to be a winning chance.
|Selections||(2) Adele Mustang (6) TK Boy (11) Happy Socks (3) Raon The Sox|
|Next Best||5, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 9, 11|
Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Maidens here with all but one of them having raced at least once before. Best so far has been (8) MARU CASTLE, who ran a strong 2nd to Wonderful Light in a fast time on a good track on July 11th. She steps up in trip here but should be able to cope with that and can win. (9) PARAN WANGJA is one of only two in the race to have previously appeared twice. He ran well with a 3rd and a 5th either side of the shutdown and can improve today with Moon Se Young aboard for the first time. We’re scratching around with the rest though. (5) MISO GADEUK and (6) AROMA finished 5th and 6th respectively on debut over 1000M on June 21st. They didn’t go very quick but they won’t need to get much better to go close here. A word too for apprentice jockey Lim Da-bin, who takes his first race ride on (10) TEUNTEUNA. The 4kg allowance may help the colt get a bit closer than he did on debut.
|Selections||(8) Maru Castle (9) Paran Wangja (5) Miso Gadeuk (6) Aroma|
|Next Best||11, 4|
|Fast Start||8, 9|
Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
The fillies face the starter in the third where they will go over the six furlongs. (10) BAEKDUWA HALLA resumed in good style first up over the 1300m late June. The chestnut reeled off a good final sectional to finish second behind Hwa Ssi Byeok in a similar type race. (2) QUEEN LION is also second up after finishing fifth behind K.N. Power over 1000m mid-July. The filly was somewhat one-paced in the event but the time was fair, suggesting with some improvement she can figure. (7) LADY LUCKY lines up for her fourth career start after running through the line in good style last time out. The chestnut will be stretched beyond the 1000m for the first time. (6) HANSEN PRIMA looks next best coming off some fair trial performances. She will line up for her debut run from a central draw.
|Selections||(10) Baekduwa Halla (2) Queen Lion (7) Lady Lucky (6) Hansen Prima|
|Next Best||1, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 3|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
This is not a strong maiden, to put it mildly. (4) GEUMA ROBUST showed some improvement on what was her second career start on June 20th, running on reasonably well for 4th over 1200M. The additional half-furlong may suit and she has as much chance as any of making the breakthrough here. (5) HOEBOK has finished in 4th on three of his four starts to date. He’s shown little in the way of speed but won’t need to do too much more in order to go close today. (7) AFLEET MARINE debuted promisingly in 3rd place behind Wonderful Storm in June but then struggled on her return three weeks ago. The step up in trip can suit and she’s worth another chance today. (9) JOEUN GWANGYE and (11) WORLD TEUKGEUP are others who can improve.
|Selections||(7) Afleet Marine (4) Geuma Robust (5) Hoebok (9) Joeun Gwangye|
|Next Best||11, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 11|
Race 5: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
The Korean-bred maidens line up in the fifth over the 1300m. (3) CLEAN HEART has been knocking on the door at his past couple of starts and gets an ideal assignment here. He has rattled off some good sectionals this time in and is capable of finishing over the top of them here. (8) SPRING COME is second-up after a midfield performance when first up mid-July. The chestnut’s run back in February showed that he has an engine when finishing second behind Siberia over the short course. (2) ETERNAL MEMORY placed over the 1300m first up when clocking a fair time on a firm track last start. Lee Hyeong-jong will be legged aboard the three-year-old for the first time. (4) HWARYEO is best of the rest with the remainder of the field having limited depth.
|Selections||(3) Clean Heart (8) Spring Come (2) Eternal Memory (4) Hwaryeo|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||1,7, 8, 9|
Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) FIRE HEART was an eye-catching winner on debut, making all for a five-length score over 1000M on a wet track on July 4th. He is up in class and distance today but he looks to have plenty more in him and can win again. It won’t be easy though as this is a useful looking race. (9) WONDERFUL LIGHT’s maiden win had been coming and she finally achieved it by coming from off the pace to win over 1000M in a fast time on a good track on July 11th. She too steps up in class but is firmly in contention. Another up in class is (8) FIGHTING NOW. He remains a maiden but has two runner-up finishes and has recorded the fastest time of any of these at this distance. As for those with experience at this level, (6) GOOD WONDER has claims. She led for part of the way around 1300M three weeks ago before ultimately finishing 3rd and should go close again.
|Selections||(4) Fire Heart (6) Good Wonder (9) Wonderful Light (8) Fighting Now|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 6|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
The seventh on the card is a race where the majority of the field has shown some form of late. (6) LUCKY SMILE is one of those who comes off a good performance. The Menifee filly is yet to break maiden status but clocked a good time for this grade last time out. She should be able to position close to the speed and figure in the placings. (1) ROCK LINE resumed mid-July when finishing third behind A To Z clocking a good time. He has to carry the 56kg once again but has shown he is capable. (10) HYPER CAR is another yet to break maiden status but comes off a good performance when finishing second in a Class 6 event, also clocking a good time. In his short career he has shown some versatility which is important here, as from a wide draw he may be forced to settle rearwards. (7) DURI is one of the more experienced gallopers engaged and can place in the event.
|Selections||(6) Lucky Smile (1) Rock Line (10) Hyper Car (7) Duri|
|Next Best||8, 5|
|Fast Start||6, 8|
Race 8: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(10) CHODONG ROCKET got his maiden win first-up on July 11th, making all in a fast time over 1300M. The horses who beat him in two starts as a juvenile have gone on to better things and while he is up in class today and hasn’t exactly drawn favourably, he could have too much. It is a competitive field though. (4) MONEY SILK is yet to win but has never been worse than 4th in six outings to date. He comes in having run 2nd at 1300M a month ago and should be placing again. Similarly, (9) GIANT GIRL has three 3rd place finishes in a row to her name at this level, posting some very decent times along the way and it would be a surprise if she was very far away again. (8) BALBATU showed he belongs at this level with a solid 3rd over this distance on his first crack at it three weeks ago. The Hansen colt likes to come from off the pace and he should have plenty to run at today. (1) DANGDAE ROYAL among several others in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(10) Chodong Rocket (9) Giant Girl (8) Balbatu (4) Money Silk|
|Next Best||1, 2, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 10|
Race 9: Class 4 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
A compact field of ten will go over the six furlongs in the ninth on the card. (6) PINE TOUCH is the on top selection after a good performance first-up when runner-up behind Level Tap. They clocked a very good time over the six furlongs on that occasion, a similar time will see the Race Day colt go close. (8) MIGHTY BOOM is first up after a very quick trial. The Adios Charlie filly had two starts earlier this year where she performed well. The trial coming into this preparation is hard to ignore so keep her safe. (9) TOP PLAY has lined up in some strong events at his first two starts. This is by far the easiest assignment he has lined up in after finishing fourth behind both Final Star and Legend Day recently. (3) KENTUCKY MANGCHI looks next best and is capable of running into a minor placing.
|Selections||(6) Pine Touch (8) Mighty Boom (9) Top Play (3) Kentucky Mangchi|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 9|
Race 10: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) YEONGHWAS FLYING returns to action for the first time since February and the Colors Flying filly is aiming to make it four wins from five starts spread out over fifteen months. She was last seen winning at this class over 1200M and trialed up well in July, showing at the front of her heat but not doing too much. She is drawn well enough to get to the lead and she looks the one to beat. (4) GEUMBIT YEOLJEONG warrants respect having pulled off a good win at this class over 1300M at the end of June. He should be on speed from the start and can go close. Similarly, (10) HORSE QUEEN is turning into a consistent money-winner and was 3rd on her first try at this class a month ago. The draw hasn’t been kind but she should be able to overcome it and challenge for a place again. Neither (2) YULONG FLYING nor (8) MENI CHAMP were particularly special first-up last start but both have the potential to improve this time.
|Selections||(5) Yeonghwas Flying (10) Horse Queen (8) Meni Champ (4) Geumbit Yeoljeong|
|Next Best||2, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7, 9|
Race 11: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Eleven Korean-bred gallopers line up in the eleventh. (1) ENDURANCE comes off a good performance last time out when second behind Geompo over the 1200m. The Rock Hard Ten colt finished off strong, suggesting he will appreciate the additional half furlong. (2) YEOGEOL VISION finished third behind the in-form All Baek last time out. The filly has been in Class 4 company for quite some time but has the ability to figure in the numbers every now and then. (10) VIRTUS has shown some consistency in her nine start career to date, finishing in the top three on five occasions. The Colors Flying filly finished second in Class 5 company last time out, with the rise in class she drops three kilograms for this assignment. (6) MASEONG JILJU lines up in the event second-up after performing fairly first-up. With some improvement the colt can figure in the money.
|Selections||(1) Endurance (2) Yeogeol Vision (10) Virtus (6) Maseong Jilju|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 7 ,11|
Race 12: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(2) IRON SOCKS has done his best to avoid the winner’s circle so far, finding the minor placings on his last four outings but stubbornly remaining a maiden after six attempts. Today could be his day though, coming in following a strong 2nd place at class and distance on July 11th. The Mineshaft colt beat a couple of his rivals here that day and with Moon Se Young aboard, looks ready to win. (5) JEONGSANG KINGDOM ran an improved 4th in that race and can continue his development today, but the main dangers appear to lie elsewhere. (11) MENI SPEED is another who has proved adept at keeping his win column on the empty side with just the one success from seventeen outings. He’s hit the minors eight times though including last start when he ran a good 2nd to Complete Kingdom at this distance. The wide draw is not a problem as he comes from well back anyway and he should go close here. (4) CHEONNYEONUI BI has the fastest time of any of these at the distance. Her first-up effort in June wasn’t great but she should have come on for it and can go better here. (1) BAEKSAEK GWANGCHAE and (7) TRIPLE KINGDOM are others with realistic claims.
|Selections||(2) Iron Socks (11) Meni Speed (4) Cheonnyeonui Bi (1) Baeksaek Gwangchae|
|Next Best||5, 7, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2|
Race 13: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
The thirteenth event on the card is an intriguing event with different form lines clashing. (11) BLUE CHITON is one of the more progressive types engaged whom jockey Lee Joon-chel has formed a good relationship with. The Palace Malice colt saluted when resuming and backed that up with a solid third behind Mighty Soo over the 1800m in a much stronger event. (3) MOONHAK EKATI comes out of the same race as Blue Chiton, where the colt finished fourth. He has previously won over the two turns and will get the services of Moon Se-young. (4) GRAND DOLPUNG looks the likely pacemaker and goes into the event first-up. The five-year-old is extremely consistent and should be considered an each-way chance. (5) SOULY MAJESTIC is next best after finishing second behind the ever-impressive Eoma Eoma. The filly will be stretched back out to the 1700m which we are not sure is her ideal distance.
|Selections||(11) Blue Chiton (3) Moonhak Ekati (4) Grand Dolpung (5) Souly Majestic|
|Next Best||6, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 8|
Race 14: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(1) WINNER BROWN finally returns. The Captain Coltish colt was last seen winning at class 3 in a very fast time in November last year, taking his record to five wins from eight starts. He looked extremely well when trialing at the beginning of July and while this is a tough ask first-up, he could well be equal to it. (6) MIGHTY SOO looks a big danger though. The Super Saver three-year-old was a fast and comprehensive winner of the TCK Trophy over this distance on July 12th and comes in here under a nice light weight. He can sit behind the early speed and finish strong. (2) GALLOP CURLIN steps up in class after a good win at the distance on July 4th. He will need to improve to mix it at this level but that was a good first-up run and he still looks to have scope for further development, as well as a nice draw to get on the early speed. (3) BULMYEORUI JEWANG has plenty of experience at this level as well as the fastest time at this distance of any of them and is one of a number of others with placing chances.
|Selections||(6) Mighty Soo (1) Winner Brown (2) Gallop Curlin (3) Bulmyeoruijewang|
|Next Best||4, 5, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 7|
Race 15: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
The last on the card will see an evenly assembled field line up over the 1400m at Class 3 event. (8) MIREU STORM is a handy type who has won three from fifteen with six minor placings against his name. He resumed in good style when third behind East Kingdom over 1200m. He looks to have another win in store shortly. (6) GEOMPO is a last start Class 4 winner over the six furlongs. With just the 53kg on his back the three-year-old looks an each-way chance of notching his third win at start nine. (4) TAKTUEIN showed plenty of ability early on in her career and looks one that appreciated the enforced break. She finished third behind Geosen Jilju when resuming and should take improvement from the run. (10) GAON FORCE is another that can be considered a winning chance after finishing fifth behind Gallop Curlin when resuming last start. The Colors Flying gelding has won four from sixteen and will get the services of Moon Se-young for the first time. He has will have to overcome the outside gate.
|Selections||(8) Mireu Storm (6) Geompo (4) Taktuein (10) Gaon Force|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8, 10|