It’s Korean Oaks weekend with the big race being held at Busan on Sunday. Before that there is a bumper 15-race Friday program at Busan from 11.30 to 18.00. Once more, despite other sports -and in fact everything else in Korea – now being open, permission has still not been given for racegoers to attend.
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Juvenile maidens to kick off Friday’s card with seven of the eleven having raced once before. Four of them debuted in the same race over this distance on July 17th and it was (3) B.K. LOOKS who ran out the best of them, finishing in 2nd place. He had led early before being left behind by a very nice looking winner, Winner’s Man, and showed enough to suggest he has a win in him sooner rather than later. Of the others who went that day, (2) BAEK PUNG in 6th ran reasonably well and has the potential to improve here. (1) NAMED came from off the pace on her debut on June 26th to run on well for 5th place and can build on that today. Among the three first-time starters, (5) MACH TITAN looks the pick. The Hansen colt made all to comfortably win a trial under minimal urging three weeks ago. If he brings that form to the racetrack and then gets a lead again, he will be hard to beat. (6) STEADY WINNER is a half-sister to the very good Mask and warrants a close look on debut here.
|Selections||(5) Mach Titan (3) B.K. Looks (1) Named (2) Baek Pung|
|Next Best||4, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 5|
Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
It looks as if Djordje Perovic can have another good weekend after taking out the Korean Derby last week aboard Save The World in Seoul. The Serbian hoop will ride (9) HUIMANGUI SORY in the second where the horse comes off a good performance, when finishing second behind Doctor Fashion. The times he has clocked over the five furlongs have been brilliant, the extra furlong looks to suit him and at set weights the two-year-old looks one of the better bets on the card. (11) ACEUI GIPPEUM was good on debut when placing in a similar event. The Ecton Park filly produced one of the faster sectionals you will see for a debutant, suggesting she will appreciate the step-up to the 1200m. (1) TOP OF KOREA debuts after some handy trial performances. He needs to be respected as there looked to be more in the tank after producing some handy trials. (8) GEUMA BONNY is another on debut after running some handy trials. The Tiz Wonderful filly is likely to be outpaced early but keep her safe in your wider selections.
|Selections||(9) Huimangui Sory (11) Aceui Gippeum (1) Top Of Korea (8) Geuma Bonny|
|Next Best||4, 5|
Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(1) ILNYEOM TONGCHEON debuted well at this trip in an all-filly affair on June 19th, running on for 2nd behind Final Party. She had previously made all in a trial and has every chance of going very close again today. (9) YEONGGWANGUI EAGLE returns to action here for the first time since the shutdown. He was a solid 2nd on his last start in February at this distance behind Goblin and while he only took part in one heat during the hiatus, it was a strong one and he can make an immediate impact first up today. (11) YEONGGWANGUI START looked to be on the verge of figuring things out before the shutdown. She was a touch disappointing when fading for 5th on his first try at this distance on July 10th but having not trialed since April, may have been wanting for fitness a little. She should be better today. The rest are going to need to improve but the Bart Rice-trained pair of (5) INVISIBLE MAN and (10) GENERAL ANN have both hinted at ability and can continue to develop here.
|Selections||(1) Ilnyeom Tongcheon (11) Yeonggwangui Start (9) Yeonggwangui Eagle (10) General Ann|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 11|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
The Korean-bred maiden gallopers line up in the fourth where they will tackle the 1300m. (9) CHOEGANG HUNTER looks toughest to beat on paper coming off a first-up second placing behind Mr. Fusion. The extra half furlong should be advantageous for the colt after hitting the line in good style. Jo In-kwen stays aboard after having a good time of it last weekend. (2) MINYEO GEOMGAEK placed on resumption as well, with the filly being put over the 1400m first up. She sat on speed last time out, something we haven’t seen from her previously. If Choi Si-dae elects to work forward again he can do so from a good draw. (6) EAGLE STAR is another speedy type who finished second last start. The gelding performed better than most expected when returning to the track last start. Djordje Perovic will be legged aboard, who holds a very good strike rate since his return to Korea. (7) WONDERFUL SMARTY looks next best after finishing fourth behind Top Lucky last time out.
|Selections||(9) Choegang Hunter (2) Minyeo Geomgaek (6) Eagle Star (7) Wonderful Smarty|
|Next Best||1, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 11|
Race 5: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(1) CHEONGDAM DRIVE has shown improvement across three starts to date, culminating in a 3rd place over 1300M last start a month ago. He steps up slightly in trip today and that, along with the presence of Djordje Perovic aboard, may be just what it takes for him to make the breakthrough. Of those who have tackled this distance before, (6) PILSEUNG IJI has recorded the fastest time. She goes around for the fourth time since resumption with two 3rd place finishes and a fourth from her three cracks so far and should be there or thereabouts again. (11) DOCTOR MAX was beaten by Pilseung Iji two starts back but comes in here having run 3rd at this distance on July 17th. She was given a forward ride that day and while today’s draw does her no favours, she should be in the hunt for at least another place. (2) GRAND CAPTIAN and (5) GOLD MAGIC are others with potential for improvement.
|Selections||(1) Cheongdam Drive (6) Pilseung Iji (11) Doctor Max (2) Grand Captain|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||6, 11|
Race 6: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
The sixth is a tough event for punters to dissect with numerous winning chances. (4) SUSO TANK is the on top selection after finishing second over this distance last time out behind Blue Signal. The fact we know she can run a strong mile out is a plus, with plenty of these runners being tested over it for the first time today. The Tiz Wonderful filly has had three runs this time in suggesting she will be rock hard fit for her assignment. (7) JEONSEOULUI FIGHT is third-up and comes off multiple placings since resuming. The Colors Flying colt looks as if he will appreciate the mile this time around, as he has been given plenty of time to find
his feet before reeling off strong sectionals of late. (10) SKY WIN comes off a reasonable performance when finishing third behind Top Of The Girl when third-up. The colt is versatile as to where he settles, with the wide draw Franco Da Silva may have to settle further back than what is ideal. (1) DOCTOR SQUALL has placed at both of his starts this preparation. His times have not been the fastest but with some improvement and a good draw he is capable of finishing in the money.
|Selections||(4) Suso Tank (7) Jeonseolui Fight (10) Sky Win (1) Doctor Squall|
|Next Best||9, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 10, 11|
Race 7: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Very good race for the level and a tricky puzzle it poses too. After getting his maiden win over 1400M in June, (5) TRIUMPH CAT stepped up to this class and distance on July 10th to run 2nd. Nicely drawn to get to the front again, he can go one better today. (3) DOCTOR SKY remains winless after nine attempts but has now finishes as runner-up on no fewer than four occasions including his latest two, both at class and distance. He’ll be involved again but may have to once more settle for the minors. (8) HUNTER PARK is another who hasn’t yet won but he has plenty of money finishes and ran 3rd behind Doctor Sky last start and can aim to hit the board again. (11) NEW PROSPECT drops back in trip having run a solid 2nd over 1800M three weeks ago. Djordje Perovic taking over makes him a tantalizing prospect regardless of having been drawn widest of all. (10) FLYING KINGS didn’t run on over 1400M last start but steps back up to a trip at which he has a 3rd place to his name at this level and should go better.
|Selections||(5) Triumph Cat (3) Doctor Sky (11) New Prospect (8) Hunter Park|
|Next Best||10, 4, 7, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 11|
Race 8: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
A field of eleven will go over the six furlongs in the eighth event at handicap conditions. (4) DALLAE is the on top selection based on her very good win last time out when resuming. She seems to have resumed in good style, crushing her rivals by eight lengths last start over the same distance. Seo Seung-un will be legged aboard her once again and will have the advantage of barrier four. (8) MAN OF THE WORLD looks to have each-way claims. The three-year-old is yet to break through for his maiden victory but has placed on four occasions from eight starts, including his last two runs since resuming. He has shown speed at each of his runs and he is likely to work forward for Djordje Perovic once again. (5) MAGIC PARTNER has been racing well in similar company of late, finishing third at both of his starts this time in. He is getting up in the weights, carrying 57kg this time around but is capable of performing strong. (9) YESSA QUEEN is second-up after a good performance when resuming. The filly worked forward to sit second in the run before eventually finishing third. She should show some improvement second-up.
|Selections||(4) Dallae (8) Man Of The World (5) Magic Partner (9) Yessa Queen|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 8, 9|
Race 9: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) WINNER’S MAN put in a super performance on debut on July 17th, cruising away from what was potentially a promising field to win in a very fast time over five-furlongs. He is up in both class and distance today but the manner of that win makes him perfectly entitled to be the on top selection here. (5) WIND PARK steps up in class following a maiden victory of his own on the same day. It was slightly less eye-catching than that of Winner’s Man but it did come at this distance and he warrants respect here too. (2) SHINING EYE hinted at a return to form when 2nd over 1200M three weeks ago and can buildon that today while (9) TRIPLE MAGIC never really got going on his first go at this level two weeks ago but is worthy of another chance today.
|Selections||(8) Winner’s Man (5) Wind Park (2) Shining Eye (9) Triple Magic|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 8|
Race 10: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A even field has been assembled for the tenth event where the Class 5 gallopers line up. (5) LOOK SCAT goes on top after a surprising form reversal last time out when winning over the 1300m. The impressive factor was the time she clocked, which was much quicker than her opposition here. She carries just the 53.5kg and will have the services of Djordje Perovic. (2) GREAT GOOD is another of the main chances engaged. The filly has had just the two starts for a second on debut and a win last time out. You Hyun-myung stays aboard the Peace Rules filly who has drawn ideally for her third start. (4) HAPPY YOJEONG is another last start winner who sat on speed before proving to strong in the final stages. Her win was over the 1300m when clocking a reasonable time, she steps up half a furlong and is likely to run on a firmer track with the rain we have had in recent times. (8) ULTRA PHEONIX loos next best after finishing second in a similar event. She gets back in her runs and powers to the line late.
|Selections||(5) Look Scat (2) Great Good (4) Happy Yojeong (8) Ultra Pheonix|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4|
Race 11: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A pleasing front-running winner on debut on June 28th, (5) GEUMA MYSTIC has the luxury of another crack at this class and distance carrying pretty much the same weight as he did before. Nicely drawn to get to the lead, he has every chance of maintaining his 100% record here. (8) CENTUM BEONGAE comes in off a strong win over class and distance just two weeks ago when he pretty much made all. In his case he does have an additional 4.5kg to carry but should still be a factor. Also coming in as a last start winner is (1) JEONSEOULUI BULKKOT. Like Centum Beongae, he’s a locally-bred horse who has made his way up through the grades and steps up to class 4 for the first time following victory in a fast time over 1400M on July 17th. He drew wide that day but has the inside today so expect him to be on pace and he’s firmly in the hunt. Another on-pace one will be (3) HANBIT YEONNGWANG. She’s yet to win in four attempts but the Orb filly comes in off back to back runner-up finishes at this level and looks to have a win in her at some stage. (4) HWARANGUICHAMPION probably needed his race three weeks ago. He is a winner at this class and can be given another chance here.
|Selections||(3) Hanbit Yeonggwang (5) Geuma Mystic (1) Jeonseolui Bulkkot (8) Centum Beongae|
|Next Best||4, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 8|
Race 12: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
The twelfth on the event is a Class 4 Handicap where there looks to be plenty of early speed engaged. (11) HAPPY YEOGEOL is the on top selection based on the strength of her last start. The filly went straight to the lead second up over this distance and was never headed, beating Secret Legacy who finished second more than a length away. The time for her win was superb, a similar performance here will see her go close. (1) YEONGGWANGUI TIME has drawn the inside which will suit her racing style ideally. She led first-up before being gunned down in the final stages by Great Boss. She is another that clocked a good time, with the lightweight on her back she is worth including. (7) LUCKY NUMBER ONE looks capable of placing after a reasonable effort when first-up early July. She settled behind the speed last time out before feeling the pinch late, with some improvement she is one that can figure. (6) YONGYEON looks next best after finishing second behind the ever-impressive Dongteuja Day last time out. He stuck on nicely in the event and is another with claims in this event.
|Selections||(11) Happy Yeogeol (1) Yeonggwangui Time (7) Lucky Number One (6) Yongyeon|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 8, 11|
Race 13: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(8) POWER TRAIN has won both his starts since the resumption taking his winning streak to three. His latest came at this class over a mile on July 24th with a front-running performance. He steps up to two turns for the first time and has an additional 2kg to deal with but should be equal to both and he can win again. Joining him under 57kg is (10) ONE PICK. He led from gate to wire to land an eye-catching win over a mile on July 10th and while it was at class 5 level, the time was one that would be more than competitive at this class. He has experience of running at this distance too when 2nd on June 26th and looks a real chance here. (5) NANSAN YEOJE similarly led all the way to win at 1400M last stat and comes up in both class and distance. She perhaps has a bit more to find but does get a nice weight allowance. (2) SEONGSAN POWER beat a couple of these on his way to a class and distance 3rd place on July 24th and should be in at least the placing hunt again. (11) ADELEUI SIN was 5th in that race and can match or better today.
|Selections||(10) One Pick (8) Power Train (2) Seongsan Power (5) Nansan Yeoje|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 10|
Race 14: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
A handy bunch of gallopers will line up in the fourteenth where there are four last start winners. One of those winners was (5) GOLDEN WINNER who is a very impressive type. The Menifee chestnut scored a good victory last time out when winning by a clear margin over this distance. He’s best suited by being on speed, expect Lee Hyo-sik to work forward from a good draw. (4) CURLIN FANTASY has had two starts back since the racing break and both efforts have been good. He comes off a last start fifth behind World Today, he clocked a good time on that occasion that will see him competitive here. (1) NANGMAN JEONSA was a last start winner in this grade when he was second-up. He produced a strong turn of foot to run them down in the straight when lining up over the mile. He goes up three kilograms for the win and will need to perform at his best to win with the impost. (2) MALLI STAR sat on speed last time out in contrast to his first-up run, yielding a better performance. He can do the same with a better draw today.
|Selections||(5) Golden Winner (4) Curlin Fantasy (10) Nangman Jeonsa (2) Malli Star|
|Next Best||11, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 11|
Race 15: Class 1 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 110 Million
(1) SEOBU CAT saw his four-race win streak come to an end when he took his chance in the Busan Ilbo Cup at the end of June. That was always likely to be a tough ask but back in more amenable company and conditions today, he has every chance of returning to the winner’s circle. (6) DYNAMIC STAR and (3) MORNING DAERO came home 3rd and 4th respectively when racing each other at class and distance behind Ssonsal on July 10th. Both are very experienced at this level and should be aiming to place again. (10) CORE BLADE races for the first time since winning at class and distance last September. He looked well when putting in a decent trial last month and while he probably needs this race, he can be competitive. (2) DIVIDE WIND is a one-time three-year-old Classic winner and showed signs of getting back into some kind of form with a 4th place over a mile last month.
|Selections||(1) Seobu Cat (10) Core Blade (2) Divide Wind (6) Dynamic Star|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8|