There are full Sunday cards at both Seoul (11 races from 10:45 to 18:00) and Busan (6 races from 12:40 to 17:05). There’s no Group or Listed action but the “Good Luck Dolkong Handicap” race 9 at Seoul looks set to be interesting while New Legend, unbeaten in Korea, makes his fifth start at Busan in race 5. Also there is the ongoing saga of Moon Se Young’s attempt to reach 1500 winners. After scoring in race 1 on Saturday to reach 1499, he was beaten on three odds-on chances. He has eight more chances on Sunday. Here are the previews with Busan selections below:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(11) P.K. JEONSA has been getting closer across four starts so far culminating in 2nd place at this distance last time out a month ago. He won’t need to improve much to win this and he is the one to beat. (5) GOLDEN JAY ran 3rd on debut last month and while it wasn’t an especially strong race, it gives her a firm foundation to build on here. (6) CHOWON MARU and (4) SEOUL CITY debuted together, finishing 4th and 7th respectively at this distance on February 23rd and they too can make progress here. The most experienced in the race is (9) DAEJI GONGJU and she has managed a 3rd place which she could repeat here.
|Selections||(11) P.K. Jeonsa (5) Golden Jay (6) Chowon Maru (4) Seoul City|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||5, 11|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Weak maiden here and (10) UTGE HAEJULGE’s improved last start 4th should be enough to give him favourite status here. He’s not drawn especially well but should have enough about him to get to the lead and he can win. (6) SINUI CHUKBOK comes in having run 5th at this distance two weeks ago and looks to have more improvement in her while (4) JEOKTO BIMA raced ungenerously last time but still managed to finish 6th and drops back in trip today. In such a race we have to give the first-timers a chance and (7) BLUE BAY looks to have the best chance of making an impression first-up.
|Selections||(10) Utge Haejulge (6) Sinui Chukbok (4) Jeokto Bima (7) Blue Bay|
|Next Best||9, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 6|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(7) HOPE KINGDOM was a close at hand 2nd at this distance on February 23rd, beating three of these in the process. That performance came out of nowhere, but a repeat can’t be ruled out. (3) SIMJANGUI GODONG was 3rd in that race, four-lengths behind Hope Kingdom. That was just his second start having also run 3rd on debut. He only needs to finish in the top three to go up in class and he can exit the bottom tier of racing with a win here. (8) SPADE MASHIE was 4th on his first start in that very same race and should come on for it too. Further back still in that race was (2) JEONGSANG STAR, who previously showed some ability in 3rd place on her first outing and can go better today. Among those who didn’t go in that race, (1) TO THE VICTORY should be on pace early and can be competitive.
|Selections||(3) Simjangui Godong (8) Spade Mashie (7) Hope Kingdom (2) Jeongsang Star|
|Next Best||1, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 10|
Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
A close at hand 2nd at class and distance on February 24th, (3) TRI THUNDER is the pick to go one better and win this nicely competitive handicap. He should be close to the early speed and could have too much late on. (5) YEOKDAE CHOEGO is up in class having won on his first try at this distance last month and should have more improvement in him here while (8) HORSE QUEEN was a close 4th on her first go in this class five weeks ago and steps up in trip for the first time today. She’ll join Tri Thunder in competing for the early lead and can go close. (2) CHOWON GUNJU and the experienced (4) SSONSALGACHI, are others who are capable.
|Selections||(3) Tri Thunder (8) Horse Queen (5) Yeokdae Choego (4) Ssonsalgachi|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 10, 12|
Race 5: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) GYORYONG UNU is a frustrating horse, tending to be either very good or very bad. Last time though he was just ok, running 2nd over 1200M. He’s back at the minimum today, the inside gate should help him, and he surely wins. (3) JILPUNG GANGJA was slightly disappointing on his first try at this class last time but gets another chance here. He won his previous two in fine fashion and potential for more. (10) DAESEONG MALLI and (9) HWANG GEUM SAJA came home 5th and 6th respectively when they raced each other over 1300M on February 16th and both can get closer today. (11) WHIZ REINA is another who may benefit from dropping back to the minimum trip.
|Selections||(1) Gyoryong Unu (3) Jilpung Gangja (9) Hwang Geum Saja (10) Daeseong Malli|
|Next Best||11, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 9|
Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(10) STRIDE UP has finished no worse than 4th in six outings to date and while he’s only won one of those, he comes in having overcome a difficult start to run 2nd at class and distance a month ago. He’s very much the one to beat today. (6) NIMUI HYANGGI ran a good 4th in his first try at this class five weeks ago. He led until the closing stages that day and will be on pace again here and can push the favourite all the way. (8) NEUL PUREUN CAT was a somewhat unexpected four-length winner on debut last month. He’s up in class here but it was at this distance and the manner of it means he can’t be dismissed. (1) DAE CAIN and (12) BUCKETFUL GOLD, the latter another up in class following a maiden score last time, are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(10) Stride Up (6) Nimui Hyanggi (12) Bucketful Gold (8) Neul Pureun Cat|
|Next Best||1, 9|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 11, 12|
Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(10) LIL’ PATRON ran 2nd on debut at this distance on February 16th having previously won a trial in good fashion. The Fiber Sonde gelding looks to have plenty of potential and he should make his breakthrough here. (4) GEUMA WHOLESOME showed good improvement on his second start and should be better prepared for this trip today while (11) EONEU MEOTJIN NAL has steadily progressed over four spaced-out starts to date and should be at least matching the 3rd place he secured last time. (6) WONDERFUL INDIAN and (8) GAON JILJU, the latter making his second start a full seven months after the first, are others who should have a say.
|Selections||(10) Lil’ Patron (4) Geuma Wholesome (11) Eoneu Meotjin Nal (8) Gaon Jilju|
|Next Best||6, 7, 1|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 10|
Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Five of these raced each other at class and distance on February 23rd and it was (11) UNDEFEATED who came out the best of them in 3rd place. He’s won at this distance in the past and has as good a chance as any in this competitive handicap. (1) BAEKSAN FORCE was a length back in 5th in that race. It was her first start back after six months off and she could well find some improvement as a result. A further nose back in 6th was (12) BEST BULLET, who actually started the race as favourite and he can be given another chance. Another also-ran that day was (4) JILPUNGGACHI. It was his first try at both class and distance having previously won back to back races at 1000M and he is another worth a second chance today. Of those who didn’t go in that race, (3) SKY STORM, up in class after several recent near-misses, looks to have the best chance of finding his way into the money.
|Selections||(1) Baeksan Force (11) Undefeated (12) Best Bullet (4) Jilpunggachi|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 8, 10|
Race 9: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Absolutely wide-open race but (8) SUPER SOCKS, who tries this distance for the first time, could be the one to come out on top. He won in January on his return from six months out before running 3rd in a decent race over 1400M a month ago. The distance is perhaps a concern but if he gets it, he can win. (3) GEUMSEOK DOLPA should have few concerns at the distance having won over it on February 24th. He led most of the way around and while he is up in class here, he’s very nicely weighted and could win again. (5) DARK PLAYER didn’t really do himself justice when well back behind Super Socks last start. He’s another who steps up to two-turns for the first time and has potential for improvement. (2) NAMCHON ARTIST and (7) GEUMA KINGDOM are others who should be firmly in the hunt.
|Selections||(8) Super Socks (3) Geumseok Dolpa (7) Geuma Kingdom (5) Dark Player|
|Next Best||2, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7|
Race 10: Class 3 (1900M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(8) CREMOA POWER has won two of his last three and only missed out by a neck in the third. He came from well off the pace to score by two-lengths at this class over 1700M on February 17th and while he carries a couple of extra kilos, he looks the one to beat here. (9) PALPAL VICTORY has consistently come close around two-turns including a decent 2nd place at 1800M last start. He steps up to 1900M for the first time with solid claims. (1) JUNGDONG JIJON is another who enters with recent form reading well. He’ll go right back at the start and should appreciate the stretch out in trip. (2) SWEET ROCK is better than recent form suggests and can improve while (6) CLEAN UP SECRET is up in class after a good win last time at 1700M and should be in the hunt as well.
|Selections||(8) Cremoa Power (9) Palpal Victory (1) Jungdong Jijon (6) Clean Up Secret|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7|
Race 11: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
Another really competitive race to close on with most of this lot having raced each other plenty of times in the recent past with the results tending to be all over the place. (1) ANOTHER SMART ONE was beaten by a couple of these when 4th on his latest outing at the beginning of January but he can benefit from the rest and the inside gate today may well be in this favour. He’s the pick this time. (12) GASOKBULPAE certainly doesn’t benefit from the widest gate but if he can overcome it to get near the early pace, he has plenty of quality and it may see him through. (11) JEONSEUNG DAESE has only won twice but is a prolific place-getter and beat several of these on his way to 3rd last time out at 1400M. He can aim to match that today. (7) GWANGBOK CHILSIP hasn’t been too far away in his latest two and should be in at least the placing frame as should (9) RAON MAGIC.
|Selections||(1) Another Smart One (12) Gasokbulpae (7) Gwangbok Chilsip (11) Jeonseung Daese|
|Next Best||9, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 9, 12|
Race 1: 4, 10, 6, 1
Race 2: 7, 10, 11, 4
Race 3: 10, 1, 2, 8
Race 4: 1, 8, 11, 7
Race 5: 4 (New Legend), 5, 6, 7
Race 6: 9, 5, 11, 2