The weekend’s Korean racing gets underway at Busan on Friday with 11 races from 11:30 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(10) BONINARA was a much improved 2nd on her second career start last month at this trip and she should push on here to make the breakthrough. She’s the banker favourite of the day but if she does come up short then (4) ANY GOOD DAY is the most likely to take advantage. She ran 3rd on debut three weeks ago, running on well and coming off the back off a positive trial performance in February, suggests she has plenty of potential. (1) YEONGGWANGUI KISS ran well on debut in December and while she didn’t impress on her return last month, she should have benefitted from that run and can be better today. (3) DAENARYS IJI and (7) MAJOR HIT others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(10) Boninara (4) Any Good Day (1) Yeonggwangui Kiss (3) Daenarys Iji|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 10|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(2) FUNKY has improved across three starts so far, all at this distance, culminating in 2nd place a month ago. She will need to continue to make progress in what is quite a decent maiden, but she has a good chance. There are two debut-makers and (4) RAPTOR CORE looked nice and competent when winning a trial last month. It was on a wet track so the time may be a touch artificially fast but there’s no reason why she can’t be in the hunt first up. (5) TWO TWO FIRE has finished no worse than 4th in three efforts so far and can continue that consistent run here while (3) CHODONG DAEJANG looks to be figuring things out after an improved ran last start. (1) JIGURYEOK PALPAL, another last start improver is best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Funky (4) Raptor Core (3) Chodong Daejang (5) Two Two Fire|
|Next Best||1, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 4|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(11) TOHAM IMPACT ran 2nd on debut on February 22nd and she can step up and go one better today. (12) NAEGA SAEGANGJA has finished no worse than 4th in three attempts so far and while he disappointed in wet conditions when odds-on favourite last time out, can be given another chance today. Those two look a cut above but (6) WONDERFUL IJI has shown steady improvement over three outings to date while both (9) USEUNG STORY and (10) FIGHT MAGIC have 3rd place finishes to their names already and shouldn’t be too far away here. (6) WONDERFUL IJI has also demonstrated some ability over three outings so far and can at least challenge for a place.
|Selections||(12) Naega Saegangja (11) Toham Impact (9) Useung Story (10) Fight Magic|
|Next Best||6, 8, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 10, 11, 12|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(7) DOCTOR WEEK looked ready to win after a 2nd and a 3rd to round out last year. He’s gone a little cold in his latest two but shouldn’t be written off yet. He’ll be on pace again and hopefully this time can stick to his task a little better. (12) SUN MOUNTAIN wasn’t ready on debut last November but looked far more accomplished on his return four weeks ago. He finished 4th in arguably a better race than this and is a serious contender here. (3) ULTRA POWER beat a couple of these on his way to 6th place last start and looks set to go closer here. (10) CHANGE BACK debuted in that same race and didn’t do too much wrong. There are two debut-makers and (9) DONGBANG NARAE, who finally appears on the track at age 4, looked good in a trial two weeks ago.
|Selections||(7) Doctor Week (12) Sun Mountain (3) Ultra Power (9) Dongbang Narae|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 7|
Race 5: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Weak looking maiden here. (7) DYNAMIC BOLT and (2) DOCTOR MIMI finished 3rd and 4th with just a head separating them when they raced each other at this distance on March 1st. Both are likely to be on the early speed here and it would be a surprise if they weren’t competing the finish between them. It’s a toss-up between the two but we’ll go for Doctor Mimi to come out on top. (11) YEONGBONGSAN looks to have been figuring things out in his latest three and steps up in trip to a mile for the first time today with solid claims on a place. (1) SEONGSAN POWER and (4) WILD GERANIUM are other first-timers at the distance who could go close.
|Selections||(2) Doctor Mimi (7) Dynamic Bolt (4) Wild Geranium (11) Yeongbongsan|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 10|
Race 6: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(6) BUGYEONG STORY got the best of a tight three-way finish at this distance on February 15th, defying her 36/1 odds. (1) USEUNG TICKET flashed home late and wide in that race, dead-heating for 2nd place, just a nose behind. The two of them should be competing for top honours once again here and we’ll go for Useung Ticket, drawn inside today, to overturn that form. (3) REALLY ONE and (4) RACHEL has just half a length separating them when they came home 5th and 6th at class and distance on February 24th and both (more…)