There are 12 Sunday races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 and 5 at Busan from 13:45 to 17:05. Here is the race-by-race for Seoul (Busan selections below):
Race 1: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(11) RAON SERENA is yet to win in five attempts but has never been worse than 3rd. She overcame a heavy bump at the start last time and still ran a good 2nd, beating a couple of these in the process and today can be her day in this filly/mare maiden. (10) HOMECOMING has had a similarly good start to her career with a pair of runner-up finishes and a 3rd place and she looks to be the main danger. (8) EOMJI YEOWANG has finished 4th behind Raon Serena in both her latest two outings and while she will need to improve to overturn that, she looks good for a potential place here. (7) ROMAN BLADE seemingly lost her way a little last autumn but should be better here for an eight-week break. (4) QUEEN FORCE ONE and (6) DASANUI CHODAE others to look out for.
|Selections||(11) Raon Serena (10) Homecoming (8) Eomji Yeowang (4) Queen Force One|
|Next Best||7, 6, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 10|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Time for (3) MAMMA ROMA to win. Luigi Riccardi’s filly has improved across three starts so far culminating in 3rd place last time and today can sit just behind the early speed and finish strongly in this maiden which is restricted to three-year-old fillies. The other top contenders are the ones likely to be on that early speed. (1) BLACK WINGWING ran reasonably well for 3rd on debut at the beginning of November and can improve while (2) NEW PARADIGM has had six weeks off since a solid effort at 1300M. Biggest danger though may be (4) WONDERFUL MARIA. Both her starts so far have been at 1300M with a 5th and a 2nd. She’s drawn well today to get that early lead and could go all the way. (11) SSOARAUTS, an improved 2nd at the distance a month ago, looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) Mamma Roma (4) Wonderful Maria (2) New Paradigm (1) Black Wingwing|
|Next Best||11, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4|
Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) DAE UNHA remains a maiden after eight attempts but has been consistently close and it would be no surprise if he to make the breakthrough here. He likes the distance, has drawn well, and can win. The big danger is (4) BEST EVER. A winner on debut in October, he ran a good 2nd (behind a shock winner) four weeks ago, overcoming a poor start, and looks to have more in him. (3) SKY MARINE can get a pass on her latest effort in tricky company and should go much better today. (6) DIA PUNCH and (10) MISS PYEONGCHON are others who may be considered for places, the latter likely to try to lead early.
|Selections||(1) Dae Unha (4) Best Ever (3) Sky Marine (6) Dia Punch|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||5, 10|
Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Only eight runners here and (3) MYEONGJIN MAN is the one the rest will need to beat. His solitary win came at this distance last July and after a couple of shaky attempts at this level, he ran well for 3rd last time despite getting a huge bump at the start. He’ll sit behind an early pace set by main rivals (4) INDY LADY and (7) STAR LIST. Indy Lady is up in class having won by three-lengths over 1300M on December 1st, while Star List remains a maiden but recent form reads well, and this company should suit. (5) NAEGA KKEUTPANWANG and (6) SPECIAL LIGHT are others with claims on at least a place.
|Selections||(3) Myeongjin Man (4) Indy Lady (7) Star List (6) Special Light|
|Next Best||5, 8|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 8|
Race 5: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(7) THE QUEEN GRACE has run a good 2nd in both her latest starts, both at this distance. She’ll be looking for a fast start here under David Breux and if she gets it, she’ll be hard to beat. (2) GIVEN WEEKEND is up in class after winning two of his last three. The most recent was a seven-length score at the distance on December 1st in a fast time and he’ll surely be competitive at this level too. (11) TOHAMSAN POWER comes up in class too and drops back in trip after a very good 2nd over 1300M last time. (1) GEOSEN MAPUNG and (4) JEJUI BARAM are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(7) The Queen Grace (2) Given Weekend (11) Tohamsan Power (1) Geosen Mapung|
|Next Best||4, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 8|
Race 6: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) WONDERFUL TRUTH is two for two and is up in class as she seeks her hattrick. She should complete it too with her four-length win over this distance on November 11th suggesting there is much more to come. She hasn’t raced since then but should be on pace early here and have too much for the rest. (3) MALAKAS got promoted to this level after too many near-misses at class 5 and ran a strong 2nd on his first try at it in December. He’ll join Wonderful Truth on that early lead and should stick around for the business end. (6) RAON PRIMER was a class and distance winner last time out and warrants respect while (8) SPECIAL WINNER and (9) SPEED HWANGNYONG are others capable in this company.
|Selections||(4) Wonderful Truth (3) Malakas (6) Raon Primer (8) Special Winner|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6|
Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(1) THUNDER MARK debuted in 5th on December 8th at this distance looking very much like the inexperienced filly she is. She raced ungenerously throughout but still hinted at plenty of talent in beating plenty and if she has improved her manners, she could well win this. No problem with manners for (2) DAEGUNUI GIL, who has finished 4th in both starts so far. He steps up in trip for the first time today and it may suit. (3) CHO ORONG MA is one of only two in the race to have tasted victory and while she didn’t go especially well last time out, can be given another chance here. There are two debut-makers and Twirling Candy colt (6) CAPTAIN SOCKS won a trial in November and may go well first-up.
|Selections||(1) Thunder Mark (2) Daegunui Gil (3) Cho Orong Ma (6) Captain Socks|
|Next Best||11, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 10|
Race 8: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(5) SEOURI BYEOL was one of the top three-year-old fillies of last year, running 3rd in the Korean Oaks and Gyeongnam Governor’s Cup, 3rd in the Jeju Governor’s Cup and winning the Gyeonggi. This is her first time running in a regular handicap since last April and while she is now at a much higher level, she should win. She’ll settle at the back and finish strongly. (1) THUNDER LIGHT ran 2nd in the competitive JRA Trophy last September and finished 4th in his only subsequent start. He’s rarely too far away and looks the main danger. (4) SUN LIGHTING has lots of talent but can be inconsistent. He showed a return to form when 2nd in a solid race at this class over 1400M last month and looks ready to try this distance again. (2) YONGCHONG and (8) DAEBAKIDA others who can go well in a good race.
|Selections||(5) Seouri Byeol (4) Sun Lighting (1) Thunder Light (2) Yongchong|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 4|
Race 9: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(5) CLEAN UP TEUKGEUP beat two of these on his way to victory at this class over 1700M on November 18th. He carries a little more weight today and has a little further to travel but another victory, which would be his third in a row, is not beyond him. (7) NASCA PRINCE was 2nd in that race. He’s won five of twelve total and a couple of his other defeats have come in very good races. He’s an undoubted threat today. (2) CONSERVATIVE ran 5th in that race and could improve to the places here. Among those who didn’t go that day. (4) GEUMBIRANG is up in class following a six-length win at this distance in late-November. He’s very nicely weighted today and has a chance. (1) SMOKEY VALE looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Clean Up Teukgeup (4) Geumbirang (7) Nasca Prince (2) Conservative|
|Next Best||1, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 7|
Race 10: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Competitive affair here. (2) ADELEUI KKUM remains a maiden after nine attempts but rarely misses by much. He has a 2nd and two 3rds from his latest three, all of them at class and distance and with Moon Se Young aboard today, could finally make the breakthrough. Should he fall short once more, there is no shortage of contenders to take advantage. (6) GRAND DOLPUNG beat three of these on his way to 3rd place at the distance on November 25th and is the main danger although (8) BARAM KING was just a nose back in 4th in that race and could overturn the form here. (4) GOD OF SOCKS steps up to two-turns for the first time and has potential while (7) ROYAL TANK is another who looks capable in this company.
|Selections||(2) Adeleui Kkum (6) Grand Dolpung (8) Baram King (4) God Of Socks|
|Next Best||7, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 6|
Race 11: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(5) THE KING has never finished worse than 2nd in six starts so far. He’s up in class here but he’s proven at the distance and he can maintain that impressive record. He may have to settle for another runner-up spot though. (6) IGYEOJUMA is a class and distance winner and comes in off the back of a narrow defeat a month ago. He is giving weight again but is more than capable of overcoming it. (12) THUNDER BLADE is up n class and considerably in distance following a maiden win over 1300M last month but has good potential. (3) MUCH MONEY and (4) SAMSEONG DONGHANG are both contenders too.
|Selections||(5) The King (6) Igyeojuma (12) Thunder Blade (3) Much Money|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 6|
Race 12: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
Big class 1 handicap sprint to conclude with and (5) CHEONJIGA beat five of these on his way to 3rd place in a similar contest back on November 18th. He’s won his previous two, both at class and distance and while his come from behind style will make for some anxious moments given the distance and the number of horses he’ll need to get through, he could come out on top here. Both (1) ZENTENARY and (7) ANOTHER SMART ONE were within a length of Cheonjiga that day and both will be challengers here while (8) MUNHAK PRINCESS, who finished last in that race, was afterwards found to be lame. She looks a real talent and back fully fit should be a danger. Among those who didn’t go on November 18th, (4) CHOEGANG SCHILLER is best. Now eight-years-old, the one-time Asia Challenge Cup winner races for the first time since running 2nd in last June’s SBS Sports Sprint and blitzed a December trial. At anywhere near his best, he can win. He is giving away an awful lot of weight though.
|Selections||(4) Choegang Schiller (7) Another Smart One (8) Munhak Princess (5) Cheonjiga|
|Next Best||1, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 8|
Race 1: 8, 9, 6, 7
Race 2: 9, 3, 1, 10
Race 3: 7, 8, 6, 10
Race 4: 12, 6, 8, 1
Race 5: 3, 9, 4, 8