Juveniles take centre-stage at both Seoul and Busan as the “Juvenile Series” gets underway. Busan hosts the Gold Circle Trophy while it’s the Munhwa Ilbo Cup at Seoul. There are also Grand Prix trials being hosted at both tracks. Seoul has 11 races from 10:45 to 18:00 while Busan has 6 from 12:40 to 17:05.
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
The opening maiden is for fillies only and (9) YEOGEOL VISION ran 2nd on debut at this distance on August 26th. She was a long way behind a good winner but beat two of these and looks the one to beat here. (7) QUEEN FORCE ONE was 4th in that race. She has a 2nd to her name already and will be a danger as will (4) NAMJJOK NARA, wh0 drops back in trip having scored a 2nd of her own at 1300M last time out and is likely to set the early pace. However, a bigger threat could be first time starter (1) CAMPING MANIA. She was a good trial winner at the end of August and should go well first up here. (5) JEONGSANG YEOSIN, who did little wrong when 6th on debut, another who can be involved.
|Selections||(9) Yeogeol Vision (1) Camping Mania (4) Namjjok Nara (7) Queen Force One|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 2: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(9) DANGDAE SONYEO got her maiden win on what was her second start at this distance on August 26th (beating Yeogeol Vision from race 1). She’s up in class today but could well have enough to win again. (1) BEST BULLET beat two of these on his way to 2nd place in a quick race at this class and distance last time out and is set to be the main danger. The pair who were beaten that day, (7) RAON PRO SENSE and (7) THUNDER MONEY can both be given another chance too. As can (4) YOLO who offered little when bumped up to 1300M last start but can be better back at the minimum today.
|Selections||(9) Dangdae Sonyeo (1) Best Bullet (5) Raon Pro Sense (4) Yolo|
|Next Best||3, 10, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 9, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Having been 2nd on debut, (8) WINNING BLADE got his maiden victory with a hard-fought triumph over 1000M on September 2nd. He’s up in both class and distance today but should have too much once more. (5) SMARTY BLUE had a poor day at the office when favourite at class and distance on his last start back in June. He comes in after three months off with an apprentice giving him a big weight allowance and can be given another look here. Similarly, (2) GANGHWA CHONGGAK and (7) JACOB are potentially better than their respective latest starts suggest and should be in at least the placing hunt here. (9) MORAN DONGBEAK is inconsistent but could aim to match the 3rd place she managed last start.
|Selections||(8) Winning Blade (5) Smarty Blue (7) Jacob (2) Ganghwa Chonggak|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Since getting his maiden win in June, (4) JUMBO CAPTAIN has managed a 4th and 2nd at this class, both over 1200M. He steps slightly up in trip today to a distance at which he has finished 2nd in the past, and he can return to the winner’s circle here. (10) JEWANGUI BYEOL ran well in three starts up to March this year including a 2nd place at this class and distance. He returns here for the first time in over six months having trialled up pleasingly and goes straight into the frame. (9) GONG SAN beat a couple of these on her way to 4th place at 1200M a month ago. Although she remains a maiden after seven attempts she’s never too far away and should be close once more. (6) RULE OF SUM and (7) DAE BYEONHWA look best of a useful rest.
|Selections||(4) Jumbo Captain (10) Jewangui Byeol (9) Gong San (6) Rule Of Sum|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||7, 10, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(1) DREAM INDY beat three of these on the way to 2nd place over 1300M on August 26th. He’s a winner at this distance already and is one of a number with solid claims here. (3) A winner of three of his last five, (11) CLEAN UP SECRET enters having run a slightly disappointing 4th at class and distance on a wet track a month ago. He can get closer today. Also disappointing in that same race was (3) CHOIN DAEBO. It was his first try at two turns and he’s worth another shot here. He’s likely to join Dream Indy on the early pace. By contrast, (8) CREMOA POWER is set to go back at the start and look to close strongly. He’s run well in two tries at this level so far and can hold his own here too. (9) SOMETHING MYSTERY, well back behind Dream Indy last start, is another potential improver.
|Selections||(3) Choin Daebo (11) Clean Up Secret (1) Dream Indy (8) Cremoa Power|
|Next Best||9, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 9|
Busan Race 2: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Since finishing 3rd on debut in June, (12) FASHION OF MARINE has been flawless since with three straight victories most recently an eye-catching twelve-length score over 1200M on August 24th. Accordingly, he’s up in class here, as well as slightly in distance but neither should be a concern and he can make it four in a row. (10) YEONGGWANGUI SECRET enters with a 100% record to defend having won both starts so far, the latest a four-length triumph at this distance four weeks ago. That means he too is rapidly up in class but has plenty of potential for more plus a 4kg weight advantage over Fashion Of Marine. (2) WINDY PARK comes in having run 2nd at class and distance three weeks ago and can go close again while (4) YEONGUNG JEWANG and (11) JAEDOYAKUI BANSEOK both ran poorly on their last starts (in the same race) and can improve today.
|Selections||(12) Fashion Of Marine (10) Yeonggwangui Secret (2) Windy Park (4) Yeongung Jewang|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 9, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 6: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(4) DORAON ACHIM HAE ran 3rd over 1400M on what was his first try at this class back in August. He steps up to two-turns for the first time today and it may well suit. (11) YES YOU CAN was 5th in that same race and has previously gone well around this distance and should be involved. (3) NAREUMUI YEONGHON is two starts into a comeback following seven months off and ran well in 3rd lace at class and distance last time while (7) GEUMBIRANG steps up to this level having scored over 1300M in July. He’s won four of eight starts in total, including two at the distance and coming in fresh after nearly three months off, has every chance. (12) WONDERFUL JACKPOT, who beat Geumbirang when winning at this distance in May, was disappointing when favourite last start but a return to form can’t be ruled out.
|Selections||(4) Doraon Achim Hae (7) Geumbirang (3) Nareumui Yeonghon (12) Wonderful Jackpot|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 8|
Busan Race 3: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) PERFECT BOSS has been no worse than 3rd in any of his latest five starts and comes in having run a close 2nd at class and distance on August 31st. He was favourite that day but couldn’t quite get there but should make no mistake today. It won’t be easy though. (6) QUEEN OFFICER has won two of her first four outings and was an impressive all the way winner last time out. She’s up in class today but looks to have potential for more. She’ll be on the early speed along with (2) DAMYANG GUNJU, who come sin off a win and a 2nd place, both at 1200M and who should be involved here too. (7) SARANG MISO is two starts into a comeback having been out for seven months and while she had no luck last time, can get closer here. (10) CITY WINNER looks best of the rest in what is a strong race for the level.
|Selections||(1) Perfect Boss (6) Queen Officer (2) Damyang Gunju (7) Sarang Miso|
|Next Best||10, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 9|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Wide open contest here with any number of potential winners. (4) BIG GARLAND remains a maiden but has been getting closer and ran 2nd last start over 1200M. He is well drawn to get on the early speed and today could be his day. Joining him on pace will be (3) KILIUI PYOBEOM. His fellow Aussie-bred comes in having been 2nd and 3rd in his latest two and should be a factor here. (11) MONTEVIDEO is one race into a comeback following over four months off and can build on the 5th he scored on return. (9) WANG BEOTKKOT and (5) GOOD SENSE came home in 2nd and 4 in what for both was their racecourse debut on August 25th and both can go well here.
|Selections||(9) Wang Beotkkot (4) Big Garland (11) Montevideo (3) Kiliui Pyobeom|
|Next Best||5, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3,4, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 3 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Since finishing 7th in the Korean Oaks, (9) CATCH NINE has stepped back in distance and has won both her two starts at 1600M and 1400M, the latter a five-length win at this class. She’ll be out on pace here and should win again. Her most credible rival looks to be Thomas Gillespie’s (12) BAEKDU JEONGGI, a winner of five of his ten outings to date and 2nd in a strong race at class and distance last time. (2) V MAN was 5th in that same race and could well get closer today. (4) ANY NINE generally finds one or two too quick and probably will again but is rarely too far away. (3) COURAGIO is one start into a comeback following six months off. He ran a promising 5th on return and can build on that today.
|Selections||(9) Catch Nine (12) Baekdu Jeonggi (4) Any Nine (2) V Man|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(2) GANGTOMA went down to a surprise defeat at long odds-on on his latest start on August 25th. It was his first try at two-turns though and he ran well enough, beating three of his rivals here, to suggest that he has wins in him at the distance and he’ll be strongly favoured once more today. (3) SHARK RUN’s most recent two efforts have been in Group races (the first two legs of the Queens’ Tour) so she can be forgiven finishing down the field. Today’s company is much more amenable and she’s a contender. (6) SUN LIGHTING came back into form with a four-length win over 1700M five weeks ago and is accordingly up in class today and in the hunt. Last year’s Oaks winner (8) JEJUI HANEUL races for the first time since running 3rd in July’s Ilgan Sports Cup and can always be dangerous. (9) KING’S WARRIOR has been 3rd in each of his latest appearances and can aim for a repeat.
|Selections||(2) Gangtoma (6) Sun Lighting (3) Shark Run (8) Jejui Haneul|
|Next Best||9, 10, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 10|
Busan Race 5: Class Open Juvenile Series (1200M) Allowance / KRW 200 Million
One of the most valuable juvenile races of the year brings together four first-timer starters along with five who have raced at least once before. Among those with prior experience, just one has tasted victory and indeed (8) YEONGGWANGUI FIGHT is favoured to prevail again. He was a four-length winner on his 3rd career start over 1300M on August 31st and looks the safe option here. (9) TRUE WARRIOR was the horse who got closest to him that day, improving on a 4th place he scored on debut and he’s the second choice. Among the debut-makers, (1) DOCTOR TIZ was probably the most impressive in trials although Kim Young-kwan’s filly (2) ROSA is sure to be well backed too. (6) TIZ LINE too did nothing wrong in his heat and can go well first-up.
|Selections||(8) Yeonggwangui Fight (9) True Warrior (1) Doctor Tiz (2) Rosa|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||5, 7|
Seoul Race 9: Class Open Juvenile Series (1200M) Allowance / KRW 200 Million
One of Seoul’s top juvenile races of the year. Three come in unbeaten with two of them, (4) GEUMA GLORY and (5) DAE WAN MA having won twice. At this stage, Dae Wan Ma looks the better of the pair and she’s favoured to make it three in a row here. Geuma Glory is second choice although the other prior winner, (8) SMARTY ADELE perhaps has a bit more to find. (7) GYORYONG UNU was hot favourite on debut in another valuable race for Breeze-Up Sale graduates in August but raced very greenly having been seemingly in the clear at the top of the stretch and ended up in 2nd. Hopefully he will have learned a little bit from that and can be better today. (3) BANGTAN SONYEO and (2) RAYMOND look the best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Dae Wan Ma (4) Geuma Glory (7) Gyoryong Unu (3) Bangtan Sonyeo|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (2200M) Handicap / KRW 150 Million
This is the furthest distance currently in use at Busan. It’s fascinating to see (12) HAEYA, who had her doubters at a mile in the KNN Cup, take her chance here but surely it is too far for her. Having been an also-ran in the Korea Cup three weeks ago, (2) GREAT KING makes a rapid return to action and the distance could well suit him. (1) STEALTH, who was 2nd to Great King when they raced each other in July, beat five of these when winning over 2000M in August and warrants respect here. (10) ADELEUI CHUKJE was just a head adrift in 2nd that day and should get close as well. (7) PPUDEUT is one start into a comeback following five months off and can build on it today. (11) SAENGIL GIPPEUM has shown signs of perking up recently and he won a similar race to this last year. He will like the distance.
|Selections||(2) Great King (1) Stealth (11) Saengil Gippeum (10) Adeleui Chujke|
|Next Best||7, 12, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 10: Class 1 (2300M) Handicap / KRW 150 Million
This is the furthest distance currently in use at Seoul and is the distance for the season-ending Grand Prix Stakes in December. (3) CHOEGO MONEY looks to be improving with each run and was a four-length winner over 2000M last start in August. He looked very sharp in a trial last week and can win here. (10) DIA SOCKS was 2nd to Choego Money in that August race and should be beating plenty here too. He won the valuable TJK Trophy in June and has looked very good since returning from six months off. The ever-reliable (7) SOTONG SIDAE should appreciate another crack at this trip while (1) GASOKBULPAE and (6) TOSCONOVA CAT – another Korea Cup also-ran – are others who could go close.
|Selections||(3) Choego Money (10) Dia Socks (7) Sotong Sidae (6) Tosconova Cat|
|Next Best||1, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5|
Race 11: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Another wide-open handicap to finish with. (10) GARA GARA GA has impressed over six starts to date and while he was a beaten favourite on September 1st, he didn’t do too much wrong and could well return to winning ways here. (1) CYBER was a winner at this class back in April and races for the first time since finishing 4th at this distance in June. At his best, he should go very close here. (7) LUCKY ROOKIE is up in class after a narrow win in a good race at this distance in late August and has a chance under a very light weight. (3) FOREVER WINNER and (12) JEJUI HEUKSEON are others who enter with recent form reading well and who are in the frame.
|Selections||(10) Gara Gara Ga (1) Cyber (3) Forever Winner (7) Lucky Rookie|
|Next Best||12, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 11|