It is international weekend with the Keeneland Korea Cup & Sprint being run at Seoul Racecourse on Sunday. Before that though, things get underway with a 10-race card at Busan on Friday. Evening racing for the year is over so we’re back to a daytime schedule with with the 1st race at 11:30 and the last at 18:00.
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(8) DREAM CAT ran a good 2nd over the distance, her best showing in three outings in what’s been an interrupted career to date. She led until the closing stages and handily beat two of the others who go here and can be out on pace once more today, this time leading all the way. (3) HARVEST GOLD also comes in off 2nd place last time on August 5th and looks to have more scope for development. (9) CAR TWO was favourite for that race having debuted very encouragingly a month earlier and while she weakened disappointingly, can be given another chance here. (6) CHEONJI KINGS was also favourite for his latest outing just two weeks ago. He was beaten five-lengths by a good winner but beat a couple of his rivals here and can go close again. (2) HOPEFUL SIMON returns from four months off and trialed up nicely two weeks ago.
|Selections||(8) Dream Cat (3) Harvest Gold (6) Cheonji Kings (2) Hopeful Simon|
|Next Best||9, 4|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 8, 9|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens here and only one of the seven has raced before. That’s (1) NAEGA JJANG and she’s finished last both times. The latest of those was at the end of July so we’ll give her a clean slate today but even so, we will favour the newcomers. Fastest in trials by some margin was (3) YEONGSEONG ACE, who showed prominently in his heat and looks set to start as favourite. (7) LION SUN also showed some ability in his trial and the stable will tempt plenty. (2) MAJOR PUNCH and (5) RAPIDO MAN too did nothing wrong in their respective heats and could go well first up.
|Selections||(3) Yeongseong Ace (7) Lion Sun (5) Rapido Man (1) Naega Jjang|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Another set of maiden juveniles, this time with four of the eight having raced before. A couple of them showed some promise too and (1) WONDERFUL LION, a close 5th on debut on August 8th in what was a well-run race is favoured to build on that and win today. (3) GWONTOJUNGLAE was an also-ran on debut in that very same race but didn’t do too much wrong and will be expected to improve today. (6) ETERNAL TRON was last on his second career starts three weeks ago but ran better on debut and could be better here. The first-time starters are a little less attractive here than in the previous race but (2) YEONGSEONG STAR and (7) WONDERFUL TALE both trialed reasonably well and can be considered.
|Selections||(1) Wonderful Lion (3) Gwontojunglae (2) Yeongseong Star (6) Eternal Tron|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 5|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(4) GIRL CRUSH didn’t do much on debut back in February but then didn’t reappear until last month when she was a much improved 3rd over 1200M. She steps slightly up in trip again and could well get an uncontested lead here. If she does, she may be hard to beat. (3) SILENT PARK hasn’t been too far away in any of his four outings to date and can challenge here while his stablemate (7) BRIAN PARK was 5th on debut last month, beaten by Girl Crush, and can build on that here. (8) SONGAK MYEONGJANG has shown some promise in two starts since returning from six months off and steps back up in trip today. (2) GURI TOWER and (5) PEACE RIDER enter having finished 4th and 5th respectively over this distance two weeks ago and both can be in the placing hunt here.
|Selections||(4) Girl Crush (8) Songak Myeongjang (3) Silent Park (2) Guri Tower|
|Next Best||5, 7|
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) JOYFUL MEMORY remains a maiden after eleven attempts but comes in off the back of a 2nd and a 4th, the latter of which on August 4th was at this distance and today may well be her day. She’ll settle just behind the early speed and can be strong late on. (2) NOPIGOM NAREUSYA was 5th and just half a length back behind Joyful Memory in that August 4th race and can get close again. (9) AREUMDAUN OECHIM registered a somewhat surprising 2nd place over 1200M three weeks ago, beating three of these in the process. That was a big uptick in form and a repeat can’t be ruled out although that day’s 3rd place-getter (5) COOL MINT, just a nose back, seems a more credible challenger. (4) CHEONNYEONUI ACHIM has been no worse than 4th across four starts so far and the slight step up in trip today may be what he needs. (10) BYEOL GEURIDA looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) Joyful Memory (4) Cheonnyeonui Achim (5) Cool Mint (10) Byeol Geurida|
|Next Best||2, 8, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 4|
Race 6: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) WINNER CINDY got her maiden win over 1200M in July before running 3rd at this distance on her first try at this level on August 17th. She’s a front-runner and if she can overcome the wide draw to get on speed, she can win. (2) NICE HUMOR and (4) DANCING BLAZE were both well back behind Winner Cindy in that August 17th race. Both are better than that though and in this company will be expected to improve. The hugely experienced (5) KOREA HUNTER also had a bad day at the office last time out but this is the kind of race he will be expected to find at least the minor money in. (6) OKDAN YEOGEOL returns from eight months out and trialed up competently enough in August. He had talent before the layoff and should be competitive here as should the still winless but up in class (7) OS HILL.
|Selections||(8) Winner Cindy (2) Nice Humor (4) Dancing Blaze (5) Korea Hunter|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 8|
Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) WIDAEHAN BISANG won her first two starts back in July to get rapidly promoted two classes. She went through a trial three weeks ago in impressive fashion and she could maintain her unbeaten record here on what is her first try at this distance. It won’t be easy though. She’ll be joined on the early speed by (2) CHANG GONG, a very sharp (more…)