After the one week break racing returns to Korea this weekend. Things get underway at Busan on Friday with an eleven-race card from 11:30 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(8) WONDERFUL LION has shown promise across two starts today and while he was beaten into 2nd when favourite three weeks ago, I well worth another chance here. He’ll be on pace from the start and can lead all the way. (4) FASHION WANG and (1) DAY STAR came home 4th and 5th respectively over this distance on the last day of August. Both should be competitive here with Fashion Wang, who also has a 2nd place to her name, likely to be the main threat. (2) BAENGNICHONG has hinted at ability and drops back in trip and into contention here while (5) B.K. THUNDER is another who can improve.
|Selections||(8) Wonderful Lion (4) Fashion Wang (1) Day Star (2) Baengnichong|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 10|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(2) TIARA WINNER went well in 2nd on debut back in July and while she only managed 6th on her return in August, the margins weren’t big and with a much better draw today, she could be the one they need to beat. (8) TRUE KING ran a solid 4th on debut six weeks ago and returns here with every chance of building on it. He was a long way behind a very good winner that day but should be much closer this time. (5) ULSAN JANGGUN was an improved 5th in that same race and he too can continue his development here. (9) LUCKY ADELE raced twice as a three-year-old and registered a 3rd place. He returns here fifty-seven weeks after his last start having trailed up well in August and he is the wildcard here. (1) MUJEOK BEAT best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Tiara Winner (8) True King (9) Lucky Adele (5) Ulsan Janggun|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 9|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
This is a competitive race and both (3) TROPHY COLLECTOR and (4) HOPEFUL SIMON enter having run 3rd on their respective latest starts on what for both was their third career appearance. Both have performed at this distance before and look to have more to offer with Hopeful Simon, who was returning from five months off, looking the more likely to progress at this stage. (9) MARU JJANG was just beaten a neck by Trophy Collector at this distance on August 31st. That was an improvement on her first two efforts and she can continue her development today. Hopeful Simon’s stablemate (1) KEEP GOING has now managed two 4th place finishes from four outings to date and can at least match here. (10) ADELEUI SIN has only raced once and that was a full nine months ago but he finished ahead of Hopeful Simon in an August trial and can go well first-up today.
|Selections||(4) Hopeful Simon (3) Trophy Collector (9) Maru Jjang (1) Keep Going|
|Next Best||10, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 10, 11|
Race 4: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(1) SILENT PARK came within three-quarters of a length on getting his maiden win on his fifth outing three weeks ago. He came from well off the pace that day and may benefit from stretching out to a mile for the first time here. The main danger is (10) CHALLANHAN MISO. He’s shown progress across three starts so far and also tries the distance for the first time. (4) JISAN OREUM beat three of these on his way to 3rd place at long odds over 1300M on August 24th and can back up that from here. (6) PEACE RIDER was 5th that day and went on to run 6th behind Silent Park earlier this month and should be a factor too. (8) TEXAS GONGJU looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) Silent Park (10) Challanhan Miso (6) Peace Rider (4) Jisan Oreum|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 4|
Race 5: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
This maiden in restricted to juveniles and eight of them make their racecourse debuts today. (4) AMAZON YEOGEOL, one of those first-timers, is the likely favourite. She impressed in his trial, making all in a fast time. She’s from the track’s top stable and will have plenty of backers. Also impressing in trials was (6) GWANGMOK CHEONWANG. While not as fast as Amazon Yeogeol, she looked competent across two heats and can go well first-up. Among those who have raced before, (5) SUNDAY GLORY and (7) YEONGWON CHAMP both finished 4th and showed enough to suggest they have some talent to build on. (2) JEONSAUI JILJU also didn’t do too much wrong on her debut six weeks ago and is another who can improve here.
|Selections||(4) Amazon Yeogeol (6) Gwangmok Cheonwang (5) Sunday Glory (7) Yeongwon Champ|
|Next Best||2, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4|
Race 6: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(6) EAST WIND ran 2nd to a very good winner over 1300M) on August 31st and dropping back to the minimum today, has as much chance as any of coming out on top in this very competitive handicap. There are plenty of others in contention though. (5) USEUNG TICKET comes in having run a distance 2nd to Fashion Of Marine over 1200M last time and should be much closer to the winner here while (12) TIME QUEEN has been 2nd on both her attempts at this level since getting her maiden win on debut in June. She’ll have to overcome the widest draw to get on pace early but if she can do that, she has claims. (1) KOREA HUNTER makes his eightieth career start here but his recent form reads well, and this is the kind of race he can pick up some money in. (10) SWEET MEMORY returns for the first time since early July but looked very sharp in a trial two weeks ago.
|Selections||(6) East Wind (12) Time Queen (5) Useung Ticket (10) Sweet Memory|
|Next Best||1, 3, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 10, 12|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) KING SOCKS was a nine-length winner on debut over 1000M on August 17th. He is up in both class and in distance today but should have little problem with either and will be a strong favourite. He’ll be hard to beat but if he does fall short, the obvious candidate to take advantage is (1) BIG FOOT. He was equally eye-catching when scoring by no fewer than ten-lengths on what was his second career outing on August 24th. That was over 1200M and while he too is up in class, he can go close. (11) SUPER GOLD never really got involved on his first try at this level on June 24th. He’s had a couple of months off since and drops back to the distance at which he impressively won on debut back in April and can be given another chance here. (3) TESTA MAGIC and (4) SINBIHAN YEOIN look best of the rest.
|Selections||(7) King Socks (1) Big Foot (11) Super Gold (4) Sinbihan Yeoin|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7|
Race 8: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) GIJEOGUI JEOKTOMA won by five-lengths on debut at this distance back in May. He’s raced three times since then, finishing no worse than 3rd and he should, at the very least, keep that run going today. From the inside gate, he’s likely to look to lead early and could go all the way. (7) WONDERFUL STORY’s maiden win had been coming for some time and it finally arrived over 1400M in late August. Up in class and distance here, he can be a threat. (10) MR. SCAT ran 4th of 8 on his first try at this distance three weeks ago and should be in the placing hunt here while (5) RISING AGAIN and (12) NANGMAN JEONSA, the latter of whom beat Gijeongui Jeoktoma when winning in June, look best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) Gijeogui Jeoktoma (7) Wonderful Story (10) Mr. Scat (12) Nangman Jeonsa|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 10|
Race 9: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) TANGY BITE beat (2) CHEOLBI as the pair came home 1st and 3rd at class and distance on August 17th. They’ve both raced once since then, Tangy Bite 5th at this distance under the same weight he carries today, while Cheolbi dropped back to 1300M and ran 2nd two weeks ago. The pair look to be the best here with Tangy Bite slightly favoured to prevail again. If that quinella is to be upset, (9) QUEEN OF CAPTAIN looks best equipped to do it. She ran 2nd to the very good Singaebyeok on August 24th and while slightly inconsistent, has plenty of talent and shouldn’t be far away. (11) JOEUN HAE and (12) SEUNGJA BONSAEK are others who have the potential to be involved.
|Selections||(3) Tangy Bite (2) Cheolbi (9) Queen Of Captain (11) Joeun Hae|
|Next Best||12, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 12|
Race 10: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(6) MASTER WIN beat (1) RUNNING SOCKS and (3) WORLD SUN as the trio finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd over 2000M on August 24th. Master Win made all that day and a repeat can’t be ruled out although he does carry an extra 3kg today. The top choice though is (3) WORLD SUN. He won the Minister’s Cup, the final leg of the Triple Crown, in June and while he does have a tendency to find trouble in running, looks a quality horse who has more wins in him. Running Socks was a six-length class and distance winner on August 5th and he too must be respected. The latter’s stablemate (5) NEW YORK MANGCHI is up in class in a race that sees him return to action for the first time since April. This will be his first try at two-turns but he was a good winner over a mile before his layoff and could be a surprise package here. (2) TTEUGEOUN HAMSEONG, 6th in that race behind the three favourites here, is next best.
|Selections||(3) World Sun (1) Running Socks (6) Master Win (5) New York Mangchi|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6|
Race 11: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
A winner at this class over a mile in July, (11) BANJIUI YEOJEONSA ran a good 3rd over class and distance four weeks ago and looks nicely in here to come out on top. From gate 11, she can sit just outside of the early leader and finish strongly. (12) BRAVO MARINE beat (1) AWESOME KING IJI as the pair finished 2nd and 4th at class and distance on August 26th. Awesome King Iji somehow remain a maiden after twelve attempts but carries a very light weight here and could just sneak home. (2) VANJEFE returned from a lengthy spell to run a good 3rd five weeks ago and should be in the hunt as well while (4) KOREA DRAGON is up in class following a pair of 2nd places and a 3rd in three starts so far and is another to consider.
|Selections||(11) Banjiui Yeojeonsa (1) Awesome King Iji (2) Vanjefe (12) Bravo Marine|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 9, 10|