June gets underway big week of racing in Korea with two huge Stakes races coming up on Sunday in the shape of the SBS Sports Sprint and the Ttukseom Cup. Before that, things kick off at Busan on Friday with 10 races from 11:30 to 18:00.
There are relatively small fields throughout as the grooms’ strike continues on the South Coast. Accordingly the race times are slightly different to regular Fridays:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance/ KRW 24 Million
(4) IHYEN led for much of her third start on May 4th, ultimately ending in 2nd place at this distance but Bart Rice’s filly can have come on for that run and can see off this small set of rivals today. (1) GIPPEUM SARANG ran a career-best 3rd last time out and looks to be the main danger although (2) BREAKING NEWS drops back in trip today after some up and down performances over 1300M and can get close as well. (6) OS HILL and (7) EUTTEUM CHAMP, who does have a 2nd to her name, the best of a limited rest.
|Selections||(4) Ihyen (1) Gippeum Sarang (2) Breaking News (7) Eutteum Champ|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(6) KING’S POWER has shown progression across four engagements to date culminating in a close 3rd place last time at this distance on April 20th. That was his first start since last October and with a bit more progression today, he can win this weak affair. (5) CHEONHAUI KKUM has shown some glimpses of ability across nine outings and can get close while (7) MUCHO hasn’t totally disgraced himself and may play a part too. (3) NICE HUMOR has only run once and can be given another chance. Neither of the two debut-makers showed anything in trials although given the standard of the opposition, they can’t be completely ruled out. (4) HALLA SKY looks the most likely.
|Selections||(6) King’s Power (5) Cheonhaui Kkum (7) Mucho (4) Halla Sky|
|Fast Start||6, 7|
Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Thomas Gillespie’s (6) ROYAL BLUE has a 3rd and a 4th from three starts so far, the latter of them at this distance three weeks ago. He’ll likely get on the early pace today and should have too much. (5) STAR WOMAN has a couple of 3rd place finishes to her name and steps up in trip for the first time here. She’s run through the line well enough so far, so it just might suit. (7) TOP HERO weakened late on over a mile last start but may be better back in trip today. He’ll likely challenge Royal Blue for the early lead and can benefit from the services of Fergus Sweeney. (2) MIR KAN was an improved 3rd on his latest outing and can build on that today. (3) BEOLMA HAMSEONG returns for the first time since January and trialed well.
|Selections||(6) Royal Blue (5) Star Woman (7) Top Hero (2) Mir Kan|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||6, 7|
Race 4: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(2) CHEONGDAM BLADE was 4th of 11 on debut at 1000M just two weeks ago. He was a long way behind the winner, but it was encouraging enough, and the connections will tempt many. He’s up in trip today and could win. The main danger is (4) AGUILENA. She was 4th on debut at this trip in March before stepping up to a mile for her re-appearance in May. She led for much of that race before being passed in the closing stages and ending up in 3rd. Back down in distance, she can go to the front again and this time go all the way. A possible challenger for that early lead is (5) FLASHY MISS. She didn’t impress in two runs at the end of last year but has been off for six months since and looked much better when trialling recently. The one debut-maker, (7) OCEAN PHOENIX put in an encouraging trial and could go well first-up.
|Selections||(4) Aguilena (2) Cheongdam Blade (5) Flashy Miss (7) Ocean Phoenix|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 5|
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) LUCKY KOREA was beaten just a length into 3rd on what was her first try at this class over 1200M two weeks ago. That wasn’t a bad race or a bad performance at all and with an extra half-furlong to play with, she looks the one to beat. (1) MR. KOREA steps back in trip following two decent runs over a mile which ended in 2nd and 3rd. He’ll join Lucky Korea at the front from the start and should have a role to play at the end too. (3) SAKISAKI got promoted to this level without a win but ran 5th of 10 on her first try at it a month ago and should get closer today. (6) JANGHAN JILJU was well back behind Lucky Korea last time but could get closer today while (7) WHITE POINT drops back in trip and is another who could challenge the favourites.
|Selections||(5) Lucky Korea (1) Mr. Korea (3) Sakisaki (7) White Point|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 5|
Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) TAGONAN JILJU is yet to win but has finished as runner-up on three of six starts. Last time he went down by less than a length at 1200M and looks to have a win in him sooner rather than later. It could be today. He’ll sit behind the early speed which could be made by (3) ATOMIJI. She also remains a maiden after twelve attempts and comes in after a very useful 2nd place at class and distance on May 11th. The competition that day was arguably stiffer than it is here and today could be her day. (7) DAMYANG GONGJU at least has a win in her record. She enters having most recently run 2nd on a wet track at this distance on March 23rd and she should be a threat. (6) ISLE CAT can look to better the back to back 4th places she’s registered in her latest two while (8) SEUNGNI STAR has shown promise in three starts including a fast win at this distance. She bled last start and had to go back to trial, but she looks to have some talent.
|Selections||(4) Tagonan Jilju (3) Atomiji (7) Damyang Gongju (8) Seungni Star|
|Next Best||6, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6|
Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Fourth on his first try at this class on May 6th, (2) TWO TWO ACE, who got bumped twice coming out of the gate that day, can get much closer here. If he gets away cleanly this time, he could lead early and potentially go all the way. (5) CHROME MAGIC and (7) JET DIA came home 1st and 2nd with just a neck separating them at class and distance on May 11th with three of the others who go here behind them. Jet Dia briefly led close to home before being overhauled and both should come close again. (11) CALL UP THE GUARD showed progression last time on what was just his second outing and he can continue that here. (1) GOOD BAND is a stablemate of Chrome Magic and ran a solid and improved 2nd over this distance on what was her fourth start four weeks ago.
|Selections||(2) Two Two Ace (5) Chrome Magic (7) Jet Dia (11) Call Up The Guard|
|Next Best||1, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 4|
Race 8: Class 3 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) ROCK HARD SEVEN has won his last four with ease with the latest being a nine-length romp over 1800M at this class on May 11th. He went up a fill twelve rating points for that but an apprentice jockey on here means he carries the same as last time and back in trip at a mile today, it’s hard to imagine any other result than win number five. (6) GEOWIUI KKUM and (2) BRACHAH were back down the track that day but if the favourite makes any mistakes here, they could be the ones to take advantage. Brachah’s stablemate (4) MUJEOK SINHWA was last that day but is better than that. (3) ADELE STAR another who could improve on recent form.
|Selections||(7) Rock Hard Seven (2) Brachah (6) Geowiui Kkum (3) Adele Star|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7|
Race 9: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(2) WORLD NUMBER ONE beat a couple of these on his was to 3rd place at class and distance on April 27th, beaten only by a pair of very good horses and he is slightly favoured to get it right today. (8) SILLAUI JEONSEOL is up in class following a five-length win over this distance on May 4th. He carries a nice light weight today – getting 5kg from World Number One – and could well make the most of it. (1) SAMJEONG AGAIN won six of ten starts up until last October before suffering a setback. He returns here for the first time in eight months having trialled well enough in April and can go well first-up. (3) SHOOTING BROWN and (6) TOUGH COUNTRY look best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) World Number One (8) Sillaui Jeonseol (1) Samjeong Again (6) Tough Country|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||5, 7|
Race 10: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) RUNNING SOCKS enters with his form reading very nicely. Since his maiden win put him up to this level, he’s recorded to 2nd place finishes and ne 3rd place beating no fewer than five of these along the way. He was a touch disappointing when favourite last time but should get it right today. (2) SANDIEGO MARINE backs up quickly after a solid 3rd place at class and distance two weeks ago and while he has form he needs to overturn on Running Socks, should be a threat. (5) DANGDAE GEOHAM is perhaps a bit better than recent form suggests and improvement is possible. The only one that Running Socks hasn’t beaten is (3) PHILIP AND GIRAFFE. He’d started to figure things out before setbacks kept him out of action for seven months. He trialled up in very encouraging fashion only last week and goes straight into contention.
|Selections||(7) Running Socks (3) Philip And Giraffe (2) Sandiego Marine (5) Dangdae Geoham|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 3|