There are ten races at Seoul on Saturday from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(7) TAEYANG SINHWA beat (1) SPEED HWANGNYONG as the pair finished 2nd and 4th on a wet track at this distance on May 6th. Both should be involved again but Speed Hwangnyong, who has shown improvement across his three starts so far, may just be the more progressive at this stage and can overturn the form here. Plenty of others come in off encouraging efforts. (8) GAJA GAJA and (5) RAON GANGHO came home 3rd and 4th when they raced each other at the distance on April 28th. This is a stronger contest but once more both can be competitive. (9) SPECIAL DREAM was a close 3rd last time and comes in here following a couple of months off and with a top jockey on board. He should be on speed early and has every chance.
|Selections||(1) Speed Hwangnyong (8) Gaja Gaja (9) Special Dream (5) Raon Gangho|
|Next Best||7, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 9|
Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(7) SONGAM GONGJU came home from off the pace for a much-improved 2nd over 1000M three weeks ago. The track was wet that day and she’s likely to be ridden much further forward and with the extra furlong in her favour, she should win this weak contest. (3) SUPER YEOWANG ran a good 4th on debut at 1000M in February and returns for the first time with good chances of improving. (6) TA MINA was less impressive on her first try but had previously trialled well so gets another chance. (4) FLYING HERA can beat a few in this company while the debut-maker, (1) ISCRA, by virtue of the being the only one who has done nothing wrong so far may also come under consideration – although the trial evidence is not especially positive.
|Selections||(7) Songam Gongju (3) Super Yeowang (6) Ta Mina (1) Iscra|
|Fast Start||3, 7|
Race 3: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) SIMPLE RULES ran 2nd at the distance on May 5th, having led early. She’ll be on speed again and while this assignment is slightly stiffer in terms of depth, she can go one better here. That day (8) DAESEONG RUBY was four-lengths behind Simple Rules in 3rd and she too can challenge although a few others will be favoured more. The experienced pair of (1) PYEWOL SUHWA and (3) LITTLE LIGHT both enter off the back of decent showings at the distance. Pyewol Suhwa is likely to challenge Simple Rules for the early lead while Little Light just needs to take care that she doesn’t leave herself with too much to do. (2) MJ JILJU is up in class after grinding out an all the way win by a neck over the distance in April and should be competitive at this level.
|Selections||(7) Simple Rules (2) MJ Jilju (1) Pyewol Suhwa (8) Daeseong Ruby|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7|
Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) UNDEFEATED is exactly that. True, he’s only raced once but he won it comfortably enough by four-lengths at this distance. He’s up in class here but should be able to get on the early lead and if he does, he’ll not need a name change just yet. (6) JEJUI HEUKSEON remains a maiden but she’s had some near-misses including a good 3rd place last start on 1300M. She’ll look to join Undefeated on pace at the start and should be at least placing again. (3) SEOUL STORY may benefit from racing at further than the minimum for the first time. She’s been a bit ordinary in her two starts at this class following her maiden win and the extra furlong could help. (1) JUNGJEON MAMA is the wildcard. She won one of three starts last summer but hasn’t been seen since that maiden victory on Korea Cup Day last September. She trialled well though three weeks ago and has to be given a chance.
|Selections||(2) Undefeated (6) Jejui Heukseon (1) Jungjeon Mama (3) Seoul Story|
|Next Best||8, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6|
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Very competitive race. (6) ECTON SINHWA drops back in trip after a pair of runner-up finishes over 1700M. Her one victory to date came at this distance and she has as much chance as any here. (3) MIR PARK is up in class after an eye-catching seven-length score at the distance on April 8th. She led all the way that day and will try to repeat that here. (11) BAEKDU POWER is also up in class after his maiden win and while he perhaps has a bit more to find, shouldn’t be out of his depth. (8) SAUVIGNON and (9) RUBY BEOLKIN came home 4th and 5th at class and distance on May 5th – the time before, Ruby Beolkin beat Sauvignon and a couple of the others here on his way to an unlikely victory – and both look in contention with Sauvignon preferred again.
|Selections||(6) Ecton Sinhwa (8) Sauvignon (3) Mir Park (11) Baekdu Power|
|Next Best||9, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 9|
Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) “Tokyo City Keiba Trophy” Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(8) PHILLANIKE returned from a seven-month layoff to make her first start for Luigi Riccardi on April 29th and she ran well, finishing 2nd to the very good Galaxy Power. She led for much of that race and will be expected to do the same today with every chance of staying on. (1) M.J. ROAD was 2nd on her first try at this class in April. She’s won two from six so far, the most recent at this distance and she can set up camp behind the early speed before finishing strongly. Unlike Phillanike, (3) INCITATUS didn’t go so well on his return from a lengthy time out at the beginning of May, only beating a couple home. He should have come on for that though and is a talent so may be considered for improvement. (2) RAON KINGDOM and (5) ROCKET ROAD are others who merit consideration.
|Selections||(8) Phillanike (1) M.J. Road (5) Rocket Road (3) Incitatus|
|Next Best||2, 6, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 8, 9|
Race 7: Class Open (1400M) “China Horse Industry Association Trophy” Allowance / KRW 150 Million
This is a special race restricted to three-year-olds and while the field size is small, there are some nice ones among them. The only Korean-bred in the race is (8) GALAXY POWER and he takes on the imports having won three of five so far including his last two, both in facile fashion. He’s won from the widest gate before and while this is a bigger test, he can come through it. (4) SOJUNGHAN SOMANG enters off back to back runner-up finishes, the latter at this distance at class 3 and could go one better. (7) MALIBU BULPAE drops back in trip following two good efforts at 1700M and 1800M and should go close. (6) NEORANEUN CHUKJE beat (3) BULMYEORUI JEWANG as the pair of them finished 1st and 2nd over 1200M in April. The latter has since gone on to record a 3rd place at the same distance and both can be considered here.
|Selections||(8) Galaxy Power (4) Sojunghan Somang (7) Malibu Bulpae (3) Bulmyeorui Jewang|
|Next Best||6, 5, 1, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6|
Race 8: Class Open (1800M) “Selangor Turf Club Trophy” Allowance / KRW 150 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (2) TOUR ROSE made all to win by a length in a class 2 race at this distance on April 15th. She wasn’t fancied at all that day and she does carry an additional 5kg today but has to have a chance of repeating. (4) MAJUNGMUL has won around two turns and while she’s been up and down in two starts so far in 2018, she should be a threat in the latter part of the race. (1) THE QUEEN SILVER was well back behind Tour Rose last start but does have talent and can get closer today. (6) SUN SMART and (8) RAIN SKY came home 4th and 5th over 1700M on April 28th and both will have backers to go better than that today.
|Selections||(2) Tour Rose (4) Majungmul (6) Sun Smart (1) The Queen Silver|
|Next Best||8, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6|
Race 9: Class Open (1800M) “Jockey Club of Turkey Trophy” Allowance / KRW 150 Million
A refreshingly big field for this valuable contest and while it is wide open, we’re going to side with the up and coming (10) TOSCONOVA CAT to maintain his winning streak. He’s won his latest two, with the most recent being a three-length win at this distance on April 28th. Also up in class (2) SAMJUNG TAPIT looks a big danger. He’s had thirteen weeks off since an easy on the eye win at the distance on March 4th and should be at the front from the start. (8) THUNDER LIGHT showed some ability last year and is one race into a comeback following eight months off and can improve. (6) DAEBAKIDA and (13) DAE JYUSIN are others with strong claims in a nicely competitive contest.
|Selections||(10) Tosconova Cat (2) Samjung Tapit (8) Thunder Light (13) Dae Jyusin|
|Next Best||6, 9, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7|
Race 10: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) MAKJIMA remains a maiden after nine attempts but the Passion For Gold colt has gone close of late and looks to have a great chance here of making the breakthrough. (5) JURINGHEOU looks to be coming back into form and was a very close 3rd at class and distance on a wet track on May 6th. (7) GEUMA ANNUITY is strongly suspected to have some talent although to date, he’s only really shown it in trials. There were signs of improvement on his latest run and he tries this distance for the first time which may suit. (1) EOMJI JJANG and (4) WHANGHORAN JILJU are others who will get some backing.
|Selections||(2) Makjima (5) Juringheou (7) Geuma Annuity (1) Eomji Jjang|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 10|