We’re just a week away from the 2018 Korean Derby but there’s a big day of racing at both Seoul and Busan to get through first. Sunday sees 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 while there are 6 races at Busan from 12:40 to 17:05. Here are the Seoul previews, Busan selections are below:
Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(2) CUPID STORM stepped up to 1700M last start and ran a decent 3rd but he also has a 2nd place to his name at this distance. He only needs to place once more to be bumped up in class and he should exit class 6 with a win here. If he somehow manages to come up short, then (5) CHILJONG CHILGEUM and (6) GOODCHOICE look best equipped to take advantage with both having shown some glimpses of ability. (1) SPEED HWANGNYONG has offered few clues from two starts so far both at 1000M and steps up in trip for the first time with a chance of improving.
|Selections||(2) Cupid Storm (6) Goodchoice (5) Chiljong Chilgeum (1) Speed Hwangnyong|
|Fast Start||2, 5|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(8) HYEONGMA PUBU came up short when favourite in a weak race at 1000M three weeks ago. She ran on well though after a poor start and the additional trip today may be in her favour. (1) FINE HEART certainly appreciated it on her first try at 1300M on April 8th, improving into 3rd. He’ll be on pace early and should be involved in the finish. (6) SPECIAL GOLD was 5th at the distance in a similar all-filly contest a month ago. She’d previously shown some ability with 3rd place over 1000M in March and can go well here. (2) ORANGE SOCKS and (3) ALEANDROS are others in the frame.
|Selections||(8) Hyeongma Pubu (1) Fine Heart (6) Special Gold (2) Orange Socks|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(1) FINAL STORM ran well on debut a month ago finishing 4th at this distance. Today’s is perhaps a marginally stronger race, but he should have come on for the experience and can win today. (8) GWACHEON HERO was just a neck back in 5th that day on what for him was his fourth outing and he can be a threat again. Main dangers, however, look to be (6) LIVINGSTONE, a solid 4th over 1200M in a better race than this on April 1st and (2) IRYEO HAYEO, who has been inconsistent across six engagements to date, but has shown ability and drops back in trip today. Also back in trip to the distance where she achieved her best finish to date is (3) MACHO HIME.
|Selections||(1) Final Storm (6) Livingstone (2) Iryeo Hayeo (3) Macho Hime|
|Fast Start||6, 7|
Race 4: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) PRINCE MEMORY has raced three times and finished in 2nd place three times. He’s been favourite on two of those occasions and after six weeks off, the Sepoy gelding should finally get it right today, likely leading all the way. Should he find a way to get beaten once more, (7) JEONGSANG CHAMP may be the one to take advantage. He’s been getting closer in his latest two and was 2nd in a fast race at this distance on April 8th. (9) MANHATTAN MUSIC and (5) GEUMA ANNUITY were behind him that day and both those two have claims to go better here. Geuma Annuity was very fast in a barrier trial prior to that start and could well come good with a string of runs behind him. There are two debut-makers and Orb gelding (2) SCATTER MAIN is one who can be backed first-up after impressing in trials.
|Selections||(4) Prince Memory (7) Jeongsang Champ (5) Geuma Annuity (2) Scatter Main|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 11|
Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) JI SEONI has been a beaten favourite in each of her latest two starts but we’re sticking with the filly here to get it right. She steps back slightly in trip here and with a good start, can get on speed and lead all the way. (3) HAETSAL WANGJA was also a touch disappointing in his latest outing but went very well the time before, both at 1300M and he should be a factor. (8) VICAR SCOOP is up in class following a 3rd place and a win from her first two races. She’s up in distance too but should have little to fear and is (more…)