The weekend’s racing in Korea kicks off on Friday at Busan where there are 10 races from 11:30 to 18:00. There is potentially industrial action by the Grooms’ Union taking place at Busan today which may have an impact on some races so be sure to check http://race.kra.co.kr/globalEn/racecardChangesBusan.do as scratchings and changes are a possibility. With that in mind here are the previews, which assume a full card:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(3) S S YOUNG has been well backed on all four of her starts to date, coming up short each time. She’s not an especially convincing type but may have enough about her to score in a race like this. (11) KING’S POWER is the danger this time. He raced three times last year and returned from seven months off to run well in 3rd in April and he can go well this time too. (9) BAEKDU MYEONGWOL was disappointing when well backed last start but gets another chance here while first-timer (5) FIRST VICTORY trialled up nicely and can be considered.
|Selections||(3) S S Young (11) King’s Power (5) First Victory (9) Baekdu Myeongwol|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Three debut-makers among the eleven who go here and all of them are likely to be well backed. Principally Awesome Again filly (6) BOBAE DREAM, who trialled up convincingly earlier this month, looks to have plenty about her and she can win first up here. (4) KEEP GOING and (5) KING LION are a little less persuasive but both showed in trials they know what they’re supposed to do and can also be considered. Among the ones with prior racing experience, (9) NOPIGOM DODASHA returns for the first time in almost a year and potentially has some talent while (10) EUTTEUM CHAMP is best of the rest.
|Selections||(6) Bobae Dream (4) Keep Going (5) King Lion (9) Nopigom Dodasha|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||6, 9|
Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Only five of these have raced before and the favourites will probably come from among them. (10) MAGIC STREET was an improved 3rd on what was his second start in March and the Captain Coltish gelding returns following a couple of months off with a serious chance of making the breakthrough here. (1) SEONGSAN SIMON was a good 4th on debut when totally unfancied and ran on nicely at the minimum distance. Up slightly in trip today, he can get closer. (9) HWANGJE BONSAEK, on the other hand, was a touch disappointing when well-supported on her debut three weeks ago but is worth another chance here. There are six debut-makers and among them, (5) GEOMEUN JINJU and (7) BAENGNYEON JIJON look the best at this stage.
|Selections||(10) Magic Street (1) Seongsan Simon (5) Geomeun Jinju (9) Hwangje Bonsaek|
|Next Best||7, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 10|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Only seven runners here but it’s pretty competitive with most of them just one placed finish away from being put up in class. (4) GANGHAN JILJU just came up short when favourite over a mile a month ago. Back in trip today, he should play a major role. (5) HWANGGEUM BEOLMA similarly disappointed when favourite at 1600M last time out he too can get closer today. (6) SANGSEUNG POWER has shown promise over two starts so far and unlike the other two, is up in distance today. (1) SEOLGWANGHWA and (3) SECRET MEMORY both come in off promising last runs and could go close.
|Selections||(4) Ganghan Jilju (6) Sangseung Power (5) Hwanggeum Beolma (1) Seolgwanghwa|
|Next Best||3, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 6|
Race 5: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Another small field in the second part of this maiden and again it’s a tough one to predict. Thomas Gillespie’s (1) ROYAL TREE went well at long odds last time and could perhaps follow up by going close again. Favourite could well be (7) P.K. NINE, 5th in both starts so far and showing some promise. (8) GEODAEHAN WONSEOK too hasn’t been far away in recent efforts and should improve on the 5th of 9 she scored last time. (4) SWEEP MAN and the very experienced – not necessarily a good thing at this level – (3) GAO are the others in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) Royal Tree (7) P.K. Nine (8) Geodahan Wonseok (3) Gao|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 7|
Race 6: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) RISING AGAIN was a good 2nd behind Oryong at class and distance on May 6th and a similar showing could well see him home on top here. (3) CHANG GONG was a touch disappointing last time but has already proven competitive at this level and should get another chance here. (7) CHEONYEONUITAEYANG could only manage 5th when even-money favourite last start and he too can improve today. (5) VIP KING is inconsistent but can beat plenty of these while the very experienced (4) ISIDAE YEONGGWANG has no doubt found his level but should be in among at least the minor money.
|Selections||(1) Rising Again (3) Chang Gong (7) Cheonyeonuitaeyang (5) VIP King|
|Next Best||4, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 4|
Race 7: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) PYEONGCHNG HORANGI was 2nd at this class over 1000M a couple of weeks ago and returns here slightly up in trip with claims to go one better this time. He’s won over 1300M and could be hard to beat. (11) BAENGNYEON DAERO remains a maiden but finds herself up in class after back to back 2nd place finishes and has nothing to fear here. (1) MANGO PUNCH is also up in class, in his case having returned from five months off with a win on May 4th and he too should be in the frame. (3) RANKING TOP and (7) DODOHAN are others whose latest outings give some cause for optimism.
|Selections||(8) Pyeongchng Horangi (11) Baengnyeon Daero (1) Mango Punch (3) Ranking Top|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||8, 11|
Race 8: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) MAJOR ALPHA comes in having won his latest three in decent style, the most recent of which was at this level. He steps up slightly in trip today but is still very much the one to beat and has every chance of making all for four in a row. (3) LUCKY BLESSING was 3rd behind Major Alpha last time and while he has some way to go to overturn that form, can get close again. (7) MANNAMUI SIJAK is up in class after a useful win at 1300M a month ago and can be competitive. (2) VEGA KHAN and (8) AMAZING TAPIT others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(9) Major Alpha (7) Mannamui Sijak (3) Lucky Blessing (8) Amazing Tapit|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 9|
Race 9: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) GEUMSURYEONG has two wins and two 2nd place finishes from four starts so far. He’s up in class and slightly in distance after a good win at 1300M last month and he can win again here, most likely leading gate to wire. (3) HANEOL GONGJU and (5) RAON JEONSEOL are both proven performers at this level and can get close, the latter stepping back in trip today. (6) GAMUNUI YEONGGWANG is up in class following a good victory at 1300M last month and should be competitive here too while (4) GOOD ONE MAN has lots of experience at this class and could look for a place.
|Selections||(1) Geumsuryeong (5) Raon Jeonseol (3) Haneol Gongju (6) Gamunui Yeonggwang|
|Fast Start||1, 5|
Race 10: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(6) OPEN THE SKY won five in a row last Spring and Summer and was considered good enough to take his chance in the Korea Sprint in September. He finished 7th of 15 that day but has had setbacks since. He finally returns having looked quick in a trial in April and if he’s anything like he used to be, he should make a winning return. (4) UJU STAR wasn’t great on her return from a lengthy absence last month but she has talent and can be given another chance to improve here. (1) JEONGSANG KOREA drops back in trip today for the first time in a while and it could be what he needs. (2) SEGI GANGJA and (5) SANTA GLORIA are others who can get close.
|Selections||(6) Open The Sky (1) Jeongsang Korea (4) Uju Star (2) Segi Gangja|
|Next Best||5, 7|