Saturday is Cheongdam Dokki-Eve! The exciting four-year-old runs in the YTN Cup on Sunday but before that there is a busy card to get through in the capital with 11 races from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(3) PALDO DAEJANG was 3rd on debut all the way back in October of last year and finally returns to the track today. She looked well in a trial at the beginning of May and she can claim this modest contest. (2) FOR J.K. was a much-improved 2nd at 1300M on April 28th, her best finish in nine starts. That race was arguably even weaker than this but nevertheless, the upturn in form is noted and could be continued. (9) YOLO similarly showed signs of improvement in 3rd at this distance last start and should be a contender. (10) BLESSING ROAD and (11) ACE TROPHY both have 3rd places to their names and should be competing for at least minor spots on the board today.
|Selections||(3) Paldo Daejang (2) For J.K. (9) Yolo (11) Ace Trophy|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Wide-open race. (9) STEEL RUN was a useful 4th on her latest appearance which was at this distance on April 15th. She led for much of that race and can do similar here with as much chance of any of winning. (10) LUCKY FACTORY beat (11) HANSEN VOLT as the pair ran 5th and 6th at 1200M on April 29th. The latter has been back to trial since then, performing well, and both will be expected to be in the hunt today. (4) JEONGMUN Y showed signs of getting better last time, running on well for 5th over 1300M. (5) OFFICER WOMAN is the wildcard. She returns after almost ten months off and had shown some ability prior.
|Selections||(9) Steel Run (11) Hansen Volt (10) Lucky Factory (4) Jeongmun Y|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 9, 11|
Race 3: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(4) GOLD STREET was sent off as favourite for her first try at this distance on April 28th but could only managed 5th place in a very slow race. She looks to have some ability though so is probably worth another chance here. Also with ability is (3) GANADORA. She previously ran a solid 3rd (in an even slower race) at this distance in February and steps back up in trip after a couple of useful efforts at shorter. (1) CHEONSANG GIUN wasn’t too far away when stepped up in trip for the first time last month and can make more progress here. (6) DAL SUNI and (7) STRONG RUNNER similarly tackle two-turns for the first time and it may well suit.
|Selections||(3) Ganadora (4) Gold Street (1) Cheonsang Guin (7) Strong Runner|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7|
Race 4: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(3) HAENGBOK STAR has been getting closer across three outings so far, culminating in a 2nd place finish behind The King last time out when he led until close to home. He is up in trip here but should get on pace and this time hold everything off. The most convincing challenger looks to be (8) GANGSEO EUTTEUM, who beat three of these on his way to 2nd place on his first try at this distance on April 21st. He only needs another 2nd place to be p in class and that should be a minimum aim. (11) GREEN TEA was 6th in that race and could get closer this time. (10) DAE UNHA steps up in distance for the first time following a good 3rd at 1300M on April 8th and could well take to it. (4) UJU BADA potentially the best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) Haengbok Star (8) Gangseo Eutteum (10) Dae Unha (11) Green Tea|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 5|
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
She has a win and a 2nd place from two outings so far and (4) MAGIC ROAD, with a favourable draw, can get on pace early and make all here. It won’t be easy though. (10) YAHO STRONG CAT beat a couple of these on his way to his 2nd consecutive 2nd place at class and distance on April 21st and anything less than another runner-up finish would be a disappointment. (5) JEJUI BARAM comes in off a good 3rd at class and distance on April 8th while (2) TIAGO TOUCH is up in class having won at the same distance six weeks ago. (3) TRIPLE HAPPY was a winner on debut back in January and while he found things tougher on his solitary start since, we’ll not give up on him just yet.
|Selections||(4) Magic Road (10) Yaho Strong Cat (2) Tiago Touch (5) Jeju Baram|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 10|
Race 6: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
It took (1) GUREUM SONJITHAE seven races to get his maiden win, but when he did, he did it in style, scoring by nine-lengths at 1200M on April 28th. He’s up in class today but slightly back in trip and there’s no reason why he can’t follow-up with another win. Similarly eye-catching in victory last time and also up in class today is (3) KWAEHAN YEBONGSAN. She made all to win by four lengths at this distance and should challenge Gureum Sonjithae for the lead right from the gate. Imports (9) KEY FACTOR and (10) STAR PLATINUM have both demonstrated some potential and can be involved (6) MALIBU GINGER hasn’t been seen since an inauspicious debut back in December but he romped his way through a trial earlier this month to bring himself into the frame.
|Selections||(1) Gureum Sonjithae (3) Kwaehan Yebongsan (9) Key Factor (6) Malibu Ginger|
|Next Best||10, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(9) SOMETHING DELIGHT ground out a narrow victory over 1200M on debut at the end of April. He is up in class and slightly in distance but could well have enough about him to see himself home on top again. (1) FOREVER WINNER and (2) CITY ANGEL both enter after 3rd place finishes at this class last time and should be close again, the former having already won at this distance. (11) DUMANGANG drops back in trip after recent outings at 1700M and could be in line for some improvement. (8) DUAL CHOEGANG is up in class after a close 2nd place at this distance last time out – that was arguably a better performance than that given by (6) KAY ONE in victory a month ago; he’s up in class here too.
|Selections||(9) Something Delight (2) City Angel (1) Forever Winner (11) Dumangang|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 6, 7|
Race 8: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) PALPAL VICTORY was a convincing winner over 1200M on debut on April 14th and despite stepping up in both class and distance, should be hard to beat again. The opposition is not very intimidating. (6) SPEED YEONGUNG is perhaps the best of them, running 4th in a stronger race than this last time. (2) MONEY ZIF and (4) BIG AURORA haven’t found it easy at this class just yet but both have shown glimpses of talent so far and could compete here. (9) ALBERTUS CROWN’s recent efforts have been at two-turns and stepped back in trip here, could have too much for plenty of them
|Selections||(3) Palpal Victory (6) Speed Yeongung (4) Big Aurora (2) Money Zif|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 10|
Race 9: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(5) GEUMBIRANG beat (3) WONDERFUL JACKPOT as the pair came home 1st and 3rd at class and distance on April 21st. For Geumbirang that was a third straight victory and while he carries an additional 4.5kg today, he could make it four in a row. Wonderful Jackpot though will have plenty of backers to overturn that form. The have contrasting styles with Wonderful Jackpot likely to be on pace early and Geumbirang looking to close. (1) JEULGEOUN HAMSEONG was a 56/1 winner at class and distance last time, beating four of these in the process, and will surely get more respect today even if a repeat will be tough. (4) WONDERFUL LUCKY is up in class following a good win at the distance four weeks ago and should be competitive. (2) MONSTER QUEEN, 3rd behind Jeulgeoun Hamseong last time, looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) Wonderful Jackpot (5) Geumbirang (4) Wonderful Lucky (1) Jeulgoeun Hamseong|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7|
Race 10: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
A winner of three from five so far, (6) YAHO SMART CAT finds himself rapidly up the classes. He scored by five-lengths last time, ahead of (3) HAWAII BOSS, who also finds himself up in class here, and he can go on to win again. (4) CLEAN UP BOARD hasn’t raced since winning on his third start last November. The Birdstone colt looked very sharp when winning a trial at the end of April and can be backed first-up here. Another “Clean Up”, (12) CLEAN UP HERO returned from a long absence last month to run a decent 4th at 1400M and he’ll be expected to build on that today. (7) EMPIRE KINGDOM and (8) OHTHE PAZIBILITIES look best of the rest.
|Selections||(6) Yaho Smart Cat (4) Clean Up Board (8) Ohthe Pazibilities|
|Next Best||12, 5, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7, 8|
Race 11: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Very competitive race to finish with. We’ll go with (2) KING’S WARRIOR, 2nd in a similar strength class and distance contest on April 7th, to go one better this time. He isn’t a fast starter and may need a bit of luck in running but he has every chance. (1) OKAY GOOD comes in off the back of 4th place in a very quick 1200M race last month, continuing a run of decent form and he can go close. (4) SPIRIT OF HANSEN ran out a five-length winner at class and distance three weeks ago and while he carries an additional 4kg today, can’t be ruled out of a repeat. (9) TWO KAY is up in class after a good win at 1700M a month ago and could get close. (11) IGWANGSASEOK another in the hunt.
|Selections||(2) King’s Warrior (4) Spirit Of Hansen (1) Okay Good (9) Two Kay|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 6, 9|