Sunday sees a big day of racing at both Seoul and Busan. In the capital there are 11 races from 10:45 to 18:00, while at Busan there are 6 from 12:40 to 17:05.
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(9) STRONG LIGHT comes in off a 3rd and a 2nd in her latest two and was beaten just a neck last time. True, both those races were weaker than this, but she looks to be improving and is a strong contender. That’s the same for (4) BROWN ROSE whose improved 2nd last time was in weaker company, but he can maintain his upward momentum. (1) BLUE ANNA can be forgiven her last start when she only managed 7th when well-backed and should have enough about her to go better here. (3) TWO M OKAY was a decent enough 5th on debut in March and could build on that here. (10) JIGONG JILJU is more experienced and while never going to be a star, has demonstrated the ability to get in the placing mix in company like this.
|Selections||(9) Strong Light (1) Blue Anna (4) Brown Rose (3) Two M Okay|
|Next Best||10, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 11|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Not a strong race this. (2) ROYAL PRINCE enters off the back of a 3rd and a pair of 4th place finishes and with David Breux in the saddle for the first time, could step up and be the one to beat here. He’ll be on pace early and could go all the way. (8) HWANGGEUM JUMEONI and (9) BAEKDUUI JEONGSANG have both been a touch inconsistent but have shown ability and should be dangers. (3) BRAVO ILSIN has offered a couple of glimpses across three starts so far and can improve while (5) MAIN EVENT looks the best of a limited rest.
|Selections||(2) Royal Prince (8) Hwanggeum Jumeoni (9) Baekduui Jeongsang (3) Bravo Ilsin|
|Next Best||5, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 9|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(7) DANCING BLADE was just beaten a neck at the distance on her first try at this class last time and she’ll likely arrive late on the scene in this all-filly race once more and this time go one better. (9) DAECHEONUI SARANG was well back that day, fading having led early on. She is better than that though and should be given another chance. (1) BAEKDU MIR is yet to win in nine starts but has a habit of coming 2nd and could well repeat that here. (2) SEOUL BOLT too has more ability than her latest efforts suggest and could challenge for the places while (10) CAMP TOUCH, with Moon Se Young aboard, is another who can be considered for improvement.
|Selections||(7) Dancing Blade (1) Baekdu Mir (9) Daecheonui Sarang (2) Seoul Bolt|
|Next Best||10, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 9|
Race 4: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(8) HAEKHANGGONGMOHAM beat three of these on his was to his second consecutive runner-up finish on April 22nd and the Sidney’s Candy gelding has every chance of going one better here. If he is to find one too quick again, then it could be (6) HURACAN. He’s up in class having won two of five to date and looks to have plenty more in him. He’ll be on pace early as will (7) MAGIC AI, who beat Huracan when they raced each other at class 5 in March and should have a big say too. (2) AEMA BISANG and (4) CLEO look best of the rest.
|Selections||(6) Huracan (8) Haekhanggongmoham (7) Magic Ai (2) Aema Bisang|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 10|
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) BAEKSAN GUNJU has been a touch inconsistent across eight outings to date but was a strong 2nd at class and distance on April 14th and if he runs to his potential, he should have enough to win this. (11) THE JIJON and Moon Se Young renew their partnership – the jockey guided the Jimmy Creed colt to his sole victory so far and he can overcome the wide draw to get on pace early and be involved at the business end. (10) CAPTAIN POWER was well back behind Baeksan Gunju last time but was a sharp class 5 winner the time before and can go better today. (2) POWER KOREA and (4) CALLING KING others in the placing hunt at least.
|Selections||(3) Baeksan Gunju (11) The Jijon (10) Captain Power (2) Power Korea|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 11|
Race 6: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) VICTORY STAR won an all-filly race over 1300M at this class by a neck on April 21st. It was her maiden win at the seventh time of asking and while she steps up slightly in trip today and carries slightly more weight, she has solid claims to repeat, likely from the front. (1) SPECIAL QUEEN returned from eight months off on May 6th to run a solid 4th at 1300M and can build on that here. (4) JANGSAN JEUGUK races for the first time this year and looked in good shape in a trial earlier this month and can go well first-up. (7) BULHUUI MYEONGGOK improved when dropped back in trip last time out and continue that momentum today. (11) SIMCHEONG SADAL’s latest couple can be forgiven and he should improve in this company. He’ll be ridden patiently and can come through late on.
|Selections||(2) Victory Star (1) Special Queen (11) Simcheong Sadal (4) Jangsan Jeguk|
|Next Best||7, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3|
Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) SPEED JOY has run 2nd in both starts so far at 100M and 1300M. He’s finished off nicely both times and had no chance of catching a good winner (Blue Wolf). Today could be his day. (8) FLYING MUNNING was just half a length behind Speed Joy in that latest outing five weeks ago and he’ll be in the frame again although a bigger threat may be posed by (7) HAEORABI. He ran a good 2nd to Lucky Chunyang last start and can run strongly again. (3) IGYEOJUMA was 2nd on debut on April 22nd and should be strongly in the frame while (2) FLYING BOSS has gone well at the distance before and looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(4) Speed Joy (7) Haeorabi (3) Igyeojuma (8) Flying Munning|
|Next Best||2, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 8|
Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(8) HAWK EYES is already a class and distance winner and on his latest outing ran a creditable 2nd to the impressive Nongbon Daero. He could well have too much here. (9) K.N BLUE beat (4) SPECIAL STONE as the pair finished 1st and 2nd at this distance at class 5 on March 10th. The latter went on to win herself at the distance on April 14th and accordingly they are both up in class here and both strongly in the frame with Special Stone perhaps the more progressive. (6) GEUMGANG CHEONHA enters off back to back 3rd place finishes and can seek a repeat while (7) MIDAS WAY was a touch disappointing when favourite last time but is a winner at this class over 1800M and can be respected.
|Selections||(8) Hawk Eyes (4) Special Stone (9) K.N. Blue (6) Geumgang Cheonha|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||4, 9, 11|
Race 9: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Absolutely wide-open race with half the field having solid claims. (4) ALPHAKAN was a five-length winner at the distance on April 15th and while he finds himself up in class as a result, there’s no reason why he can’t be competitive again. The same is true for (7) STAR POWER, who was a slightly less convincing winner but nevertheless comes up to class 3 looking for a hat-trick of wins and is very nicely weighted. Also seeking three in a row is (11) ALPHAWA OMEGA. He’s won at this distance at a lower level and last time triumphed at this class over 1400M. (12) NEW WHY FI and (2) STEPHANO came home 4th and 5th when they raced each other at class and distance on April 22nd and both should be in at least the placing hunt today. The other one to consider is one who has plenty of experience at this level, including a win at the distance. That’s (10) JEONGAN KINGDOM. While his latest couple haven’t seen impressive finishes, the company he’s been in has been tougher and he should be much closer today.
|Selections||(2) Stephano (10) Jeongan Kingdom (4) Alphakan (7) Star Power|
|Next Best||11, 12, 5, 8|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 9, 12|
Race 10: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) GOLDEN BLACK has finished no worse than 3rd in three starts so far. He beat three of these last time on his way to a good 3rd place at the distance and the Spring At Last gelding can win this. (10) MONEY BLADE and (12) ECO BOOSTER were two of the ones behind Golden Black that day and both could be more competitive here, but the main danger is likely to come from (6) STORM NAVY SEAL. Winner of back to back races in February and March, the Aussie import just came up short in 2nd at 1700M at the end of March but steps back in trip today and into the frame. The other one to take note of is (5) PARK SOCKS. He was a winner over 1300M on April 29th and is up in class today.
|Selections||(7) Golden Black (6) Storm Navy Seal (10) Money Blade (5) Park Socks|
|Next Best||12, 11|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 10|
Race 11: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 150 Million
Class 1 but with a maximum rating of 105 so the very best can’t race here – however, that makes it very interesting from a punting point of view. (12) BRIGHT CAT beat three of these over 1200M by an emphatic margin on April 15th and while a couple of the others here did defeat him last time he raced at this distance, he can get it right again today. (8) TAEYANGWANG was six-lengths behind Bright Star in 2nd in the April race and can get closer at this distance but the main danger may come from a newcomer to class 1. (11) OP SEVEN is one of the first three-year-olds to make it to the elite level and he looks to have plenty more scope for further progression. Draw shouldn’t be a problem as he doesn’t need to lead from the start and he has a real chance. Also up in class is (2) YEONGNONG, following a four-length victory over Hoeng Un Gol – who went on to score impressively himself last week – and he should be competitive. (10) GWANGBOK CHILSIP returns to racing for the first time since last October and trialled up in quick fashion in April. He’s the wildcard.
|Selections||(12) Bright Cat (11) OP Seven (2) Yeongnong (10) Gwangbok Chilsip|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 9|
Race 1: 3, 11, 3, 2
Race 2: 3, 8, 11, 10
Race 3: 1, 4, 8, 7
Race 4: 5, 2, 10, 8
Race 5: 2, 8, 6, 1
Race 6: 1, 10, 2, 8