It’s been a bitingly cold week on the Korean peninsula but the worst seems to be over and there is a good 12-race card at Seoul on Saturday with the 1st at 10:45 and the last at 18:00. And what better way to warm up than with the 2018 season debut of Cheongdam Dokki? He goes in race 11. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Just fillies here and plenty in with a shout. (6) SEONGBUL CHAMP has shown some ability in three starts so far including a good 5th of 12 in tougher company than this last start. She trialled up nicely a couple of weeks ago and is a prime contender here. (5) BETTINA’s best result so far came on her only prior outing at this distance and with Djordje Perovic on board, she too looks to have a strong chance. (1) HWANSANGUI BIT showed improvement on her second start and can maintain it here while (9) RUBY FALLS and (12) MORAN DONGBEAK are others who can get close.
|Selections||(6) Seongbul Champ (5) Bettina (1) Hwansangui Bit (9) Ruby Falls|
|Next Best||12, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(9) JEONGSANG DOLPUNG led for much of the way round over 1300M last start and dropped back to the minimum distance today, is the one to beat. He previously ran 4th at this trip in a tougher race than this and can get it right this time. (3) BIG AURORA has shown some talent, principally when running 2nd at this distance in October only beaten half a length by Ji Seoni, who went on to win again. He’s disappointed as favourite in two losing efforts since but gets another chance here. (1) CHEONGDAM QUEENS and (4) SAE DIXIE are likely to challenge Jeongsang Dolpung for the early lead and can stay on until the business end of the race while (2) BIG THUNDER did nothing particularly wrong on debut and can improve.
|Selections||(9) Jeongsang Dolpung (3) Big Aurora (1) Cheongdam Queens (2) Big Thunder|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 9|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
With a 4th and a 2nd in her two starts to date (4) MASYA will be strongly favoured to finish on top here. In both those races, she’s come from well back and finished strongly and that’s what she’ll be looking to do here. Should she leave herself too much to do though, (10) HANSEN BAROWS can take advantage. He could well get an easy lead early on and that’s going to put pressure on the favourite. He could conceivably stay on all the way around. (1) THE FINAL has been 3rd in both her races so far, the latest at this distance and she has every chance of continuing that run today. (5) MACH SEUNGNI and (7) PALDO GANGTA looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(4) Masya (10) Hansen Barows (1) The Final (7) Paldo Gangta|
|Next Best||5, 8|
Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
A winner on his debut in November and then a close 3rd behind Sinui Myeongryeong and Mask in a valuable race on Christmas Eve, (6) COMPLETE SWEEP is strongly favoured. He made all in that first-time win and should be able to get on or close to the early speed today and should win. (11) SEUNGRI SIDAE was one-paced on his latest on a sloppy track also on Christmas Eve but has shown ability at the distance and gets another chance here while (12) SIMCHEONG SADAL comes in looking in good shape with his most recent run over the minimum three weeks ago giving hope. (4) ELECTRIC CHROME drops back in trip and should benefit while (1) YEONGWONHAN SUNGAN and (10) MONDAY MONEY are others in the frame.
|Selections||(6) Complete Sweep (11) Seungri Sidae (4) Electric Chrome (12) Simcheong Sadal|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6|
Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) GALAXY POWER may sound like a mobile phone model but he certainly caught the eye when winning by a full twelve-lengths on what was his second start on Christmas Eve. He’s up in class and slightly in trip today and he renews hostilities with (5) MUSA, who comprehensively defeated him on what was his debut in November. Musa went on to run awkwardly and last, hanging outwards on the turn, in a tough race but is undoubtedly quick. Nevertheless we’ll expect Galaxy Power to have progressed the more. (9) MIDAS WAY has outperformed expectations in his latest two. He’s yet to win and despite his best work being at 1000M, he should be in the placing hunt here. (2) SEUNGNRIUI YEOSIN showed promise over five outings before a lengthy spell. She trialled up nicely two weeks ago and comes into the reckoning here while at the other end of the experience scale, (1) SSONSALGACHI can find at least minor money in races such as this.
|Selections||(8) Galaxy Power (5) Musa (9) Midas Way (2) Seungriui Yeosin|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 10, 11|
Race 6: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies and mares only here and there are a couple of stand-outs. (1) M.J. ROAD was a good winner at this distance in November before running a solid 4th in a similar race to this but over 1300M a month ago, beating a couple of others who also go here. She doesn’t need to lead from the gate but if she can get a handy position, she can win this. (10) GEUMA THUNDER has been no worse than 4th in four outings to date and has finished behind some reasonable types as well. She’s shown a decent turn of foot and has claims here. (7) MONEY CAMP returned from a long absence to make her first start for Luigi Riccardi two weeks ago. She ran very well too, finishing 3rd and could build on that today. (2) PYEWOL SUHWA and (12) AREUMDAUN SOPUNG are others who can challenge for the places.
|Selections||(1) M.J. Road (10) Geuma Thunder (7) Money Camp (12) Areumdaun Sopung|
|Next Best||2, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 12|
Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(10) HAWAII BOSS was top pick and favourite last start on December 16th at class and distance but only came home in 5th place at the distance. Antonio Da Silva takes the mount today and we persevere. (4) JINGYEOGUI YEONGUNG beat Hawaii Boss two starts ago when the pair ran 2nd and 4th at the distance and while he ran a bit of a shocker on reappearance last month, he can’t be ignored. (1) CHAMPION GLORY steps back up to a distance at which he secured his solitary win to date and has the services of Moon Se Young once more while (5) CHOWON BOLT had a hard time in relatively tough company last start but gets another chance here. As for a wildcard, (6) FINE TODAY could well get a soft lead here and we saw last week plenty of all the way winners around two turns.
|Selections||(10) Hawaii Boss (1) Champion Glory (4) Jingyeogui Yeongung (6) Fine Today|
|Next Best||11, 5|
Race 8: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Competitive race here for fillies and mares. (8) GREEN K was a good winner over 1300M last time and her only defeat so far came in a really tough race. She’s up in class today but should be competitive. She won’t look to lead from the gate but can finish strongly. (6) MENI TURBO’s latest two haven’t gone to plan. She faded having led at the distance in November and the had a hard time in a difficult race at 1200M on Christmas Eve. She’s talented though and plenty will give her another chance here. Also talented is (3) P.K. TIME, up in class after a smart win six weeks ago and should join Meni Turbo on the early pace. (2) NAMCHONUI QUEEN won her first two at this distance before having a harder time in two tries at 1200M. Back to the minimum today, she should be more comfortable. (1) PARTY POWER and (12) ANYANG CHEETAH look best of the rest.
|Selections||(8) Green K (6) Meni Turbo (3) P.K. Time (2) Namchonui Queen|
|Next Best||1, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 7|
Race 9: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(11) WONDER LIGHT beat (6) SERA KING and (2) NEW PARTNER as the three of them finished 2nd, 4th and 6th over 1400M on December 24th. There was less than two lengths between them that day and back at 1200M today, the form could well be reversed and New Partner is favoured to prevail this time. The other two are major competitors but given the drop back in trip, (1) GAMGYEOGUI SUNGAN, who also went in that race and finished in 8th place, can come into play too. David Breux has impressed since starting tiding at Seoul and he takes the mount for the first time. Among those who didn’t go in that race, (12) TWO KAY perhaps has the best chance of challenging for the places.
|Selections||(2) New Partner (1) Gamgyeogui Sungan (11) Wonder Light (6) Sera King|
|Next Best||12, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 12|
Race 10: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(9) SKY BAY was a winner on debut back in September and her two starts since has acquitted herself admirably in the Nonghyup Chairmans Trophy (6th of 13) and in a very competitive and valuable juvenile race just before Christmas (4th of 9). This is a decent race too but she should have enough ability to win and will be one of a number looking to lead early. (8) BROADWAY SIN finally got his maiden win at the twelfth time of asking last month. It had been coming for a while and he made all to score by three lengths with three of his rivals here behind him. (5) FACT HEAVENS was 3rd in that race and can be a danger again while (1) SUPER CAPTAIN and (4) ALL THAT SPEED are others who should be capable in this company.
|Selections||(9) Sky Bay (8) Broadway Sin (4) All That Speed (5) Fact Heavens|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 8, 9, 12|
Race 11: Class 1 (2000M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(7) CHEONGDAM DOKKI set some utterly brutal sectionals in the Grand Prix Stakes last month over 2300M before eventually succumbing and finishing 4th behind Power Blade. Back at 2000M today and facing only horses from Seoul, he can make light of the 59kg on his back and if he shows anything like his true ability, the only question is by how many lengths he wins. (9) CLEAN UP JOY ran 7th in tat Grand Prix and has now been beaten by Cheongdam Dokki twice in a row. He has to lug round 60kg today but can still find the places. (2) SHAMROCKER had a disappointing end to 2017 but given the opposition, gets a nice weight break today and could possibly end up as the biggest threat. (4) WONDER BOLT has been more of a sprinter throughout his career but now aged eight, will drop to the back early and pick a few off in the closing stages. (5) UNBEATABLE rarely misses the money by much.
|Selections||(7) Cheongdam Dokki (2) Shamrocker (9) Clean Up Joy (4) Wonder Bolt|
|Next Best||5, 1|
Race 12: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Really good race to finish with and (9) URIUI HAENGBOK gets plenty of respect following an all the way victory in a very fast time at class and distance on November 25th. This is tougher and the two who beat into 2nd and 4th that day who return here won’t be considered among the favourites for this, but the manner of victory was convincing enough to suggest a repeat is very possible. (3) BEST ROAD was also a class and distance winner last time and has claims again while (7) KENTUCKY YEONIN enters off the back of consecutive 2nd place finishes in similar races to this and can be considered. (12) OP SEVEN is one of the first three-year-olds this year to be in Class 2 following her 2nd place in the Nonghyup Chairman’s Trophy in November and while she was a bit ordinary against some other top juveniles at the end of the year, looks to have plenty about her. (10) JANGSAN POWER, 4th behind Best Road last start is another very capable of finding the money.
|Selections||(12) OP Seven (9) Uriui Heangbok (3) Best Road (7) Kentucky Yeonin|
|Next Best||10, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 9|