It’s Friday! It’s Busan! We have 11 races from 11:30 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Not a bad opener this. (2) GAMDONGUI SUNGAN debuted in October with a useful 3rd place at 1200M and looked competent enough when trialling up just last week alongside a set of decent horses and must have a chance here. (5) DANCING VICAR showed ability on her return just before Christmas and should be on the early pace here while (7) BAENGNYEON SIDAE has been close in each of his last four starts and could make the breakthrough today. (1) RANKING TOP has looked great in trials but less so on the racecourse so far. Still early days so we’ll give her another chance. (10) STORM GOLD showed ability in three outings and returns after almost a year out while (11) SAENURI CHOEGANG is worthy of some consideration following his 2nd place at the distance three weeks ago.
|Selections||(2) Gamdongui Sungan (5) Dancing Vicar (7) Baengnyeon Sidae (11) Saenuri Choegang|
|Next Best||3, 1, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 11|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(2) YUSEONG SPEED was a very solid 2nd on debut on December 30th beaten four lengths by Uju Daewang, who went on to confirm her ability by winning again at a higher class last week. She should be on or close to the pace here and is a warm favourite to win this time. There are some useful others though. (3) SINBIHAN BYEOL looked encouraging on debut a month ago behind a couple of decent types and can build on that today while David Miller’s (4) THUNDER STRUCK may have only managed 3rd when favourite at the distance in a different race on the same day but is worth another chance. A couple of debut-makers of note here in the shape of (5) MUCHO and (8) FELAROF. Both caught the eye in trials and it may be wort watching the market with them.
|Selections||(2) Yuseong Speed (3) Sinbihan Byeol (8) Felarof (5) Mucho|
|Next Best||4, 10, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 7, 10|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
No fewer than six of these raced each other over the distance on December 31st. The filled placings 3rd through 8th in a filed of nine and it was (5) CHEOLBI who headed them finishing strongly but still five lengths adrift of a decent winner. That’s probably enough to make Cheolbi favourite here but she is a vulnerable one. (1) SEORABEOL YEOJE and (6) PEACE TOUR came home 4th and 5th in that race and both can look to improve with the former likely to be the quickest out of the gate. We also need to look at some of the ones who didn’t go that day. Kim Young Kwans’ (7) GYOHAKSANGJANG has improved across three outings to date and looks dangerous here while (10) EOMJI CHEOK comes in following a slightly disappointing 4th when well-backed at the distance on New Year’s Eve and should be in the hunt too.
|Selections||(7) Gyohaksangjang (5) Cheolbi (6) Peace Tour (1) Seorabeol Yeoje|
|Next Best||10, 11, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(5) RAON JEONSEOL was just beaten half a length into 2nd over 1000M on December 30th and steps up in trip for the first time today looking to be the one to beat. He’ll likely lead from the gate and could well go all the way. (6) FINAL ENERGY looked useful on debut, albeit a full twelve lengths behind winner Hidden Champ. He was, however, less than a length behind the second place-getter that day who has since gone on to record another runner-up finish. (2) JANGSEONGUI JILJU has shown glimpses across her two starts and may appreciate the opportunity to step up in trip here. (8) EURO SHINHWA and (11) JOEUN HAE both look to have improvement in them.
|Selections||(5) Raon Jeonseol (6) Final Energy (2) Jangseongui Jilju (11) Joeun Hae|
|Next Best||8, 12, 10|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 8|
Race 5: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(8) AIR BLADE was 3rd on debut over 1300M on December 31st, running on pleasingly enough and gets bumped up to a mile today for his second start. At four, he’s a later starter but looks to have some ability and bearing in mind the connections, he’ll start as favourite here. (6) USEUNG TEN also gets to go up in trip today following two consecutive 3rd place finishes at 1300M, most recently two weeks ago when he had some bad luck in running and he should be a threat here. (4) ACE FORCE hung badly outwards last time to the extent he got sent back to trial but still managed to finish 3rd and is another for whom the extended trip may suit. (3) YOSUL KING, a useful 4th on his return from eight months out last time, and (10) MABEOPUI JILJU others who may improve.
|Selections||(8) Air Blade (6) Useung Ten (4) Ace Force (10) Mabeopui Jilju|
|Next Best||3, 1, 2|
|Fast Start||6, 4, 8|
Race 6: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
A 13/1 winner over class and distance three weeks ago, (1) BONA GIRL enters today as the one to beat and she’ll be much shorter odds. She came from off the pace that day, ending up with three of these behind her and she has every chance again. (5) SOJUNGHAN INYEON and (7) K O BARAM came home 3rd and 4th respectively that day with both finishing strongly and they too should be in the hunt again. (9) I’M ADELE remains winless after fourteen attempts but has already proven himself competitive at this level and looks likely to be involved in the finish. (11) GOOD PARK’s latest two have been underwhelming but she’s not without ability and if she gets off to a good start this time, could go close.
|Selections||(1) Bona Girl (9) I’M Adele (7) K O Baram (5) Sojunghan Inyeon|
|Next Best||11, 10, 4|
|Fast Start||11, 2, 5|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) BOLD RULES was 2nd at this class over 1200M on New Year’s Eve. She’s won at this distance in the past and should she get to the front early, will be difficult to dislodge. (8) SILLAUI DALBAM returns to action for the first time since last August and makes her first start for David Miller here. She trialled well two weeks ago and can make an immediate impact today. (10) HWARANGUI HUYE comes in off four consecutive 4th place finishes and should be at least matching those today while (11) MANNAMUI SIJAK’s latest on Christmas Eve gives cause for optimism. (1) TRIPLE SILVER had a hard time on her first try at this class three weeks ago but gets another chance here.
|Selections||(4) Bold Rules (8) Sillaui Dalbam (11) Mannamui SIjak (10) Hwarangui Huye|
|Next Best||1, 9, 3, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 10|
Race 8: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) HANEOL NURI comes in of a win and a 2nd place in his latest two, both over a mile and the latest of them at this class. A front-runner, he’s down in trip today and can win. However, last time he raced at this distance on December 1st, Haneol Nuri was beaten by (1) YEONGUNG JEWANG. The latter went on to run indifferently at 1200M behind a couple of others who go here on December 30th but gets another chance today. One of those who beat Yeongung Jewang last time was (3) CITY WINNER. She’s putting a decent run of form together and can continue it here. (5) CHEONNYEONUI GANG is up in class following two wins and a 3rd in three outings to date. He makes her first start since November 3rd and while he will need to find a bit more today, he can’t be ruled out. On debut, all the way back in August, Cheonnyeonui Gang beat (7) MASTER WIN. Since then the latter has gone on to run 2nd twice and then get his maiden at the fourth attempt. He’s also up in class today and still looks to have scope to get better. A consistent money winner, (11) RED YOUNG MYEONGUN should be there or thereabouts once again too.
|Selections||(2) Haneol Nuri (1) Yeongung Jewang (3) City Winner (7) Master Win|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 9|
Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
The modestly named (7) KING OF GLORY has a 3rd and a 2nd in his two starts to date and the Ghostzapper gelding will be strongly fancied to make it third time lucky. He’s well drawn to get on pace early and go all the way. (1) CUBAUI YEOLJEONG is already a winner having scored on her second start over 1200M on New Year’s Eve and she can be a danger again here. (10) DUBAI TEUKGEUP and (6) GOOD BAND finished 2nd and 3rd when they raced each other at 1200M on December 30th and both of them surely have wins in them at some stage too. (9) GOOD ONE MAN ran 3rd, two lengths behind King Of Glory on Christmas Eve and could go close again.
|Selections||(7) King Of Glory (10) Dubai Teukgeup (1) Cubaui Yeoljeong (6) Good Band|
|Next Best||9, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 10|
Race 10: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
After finishing 2nd on debut last May, (3) LUCKY NOVA proceeded to win four consecutive races between June and August before suffering a setback. He trialled up in fine order two weeks ago and returns here very much the favourite to pick up from where he left off. (1) DARMA has had issues at the gate in each of his latest two which impacted upon his performance. If he can get away well though, he is certainly a danger. Thomas Gillespie’s (5) YEONGHUI SIDAE returned to winning ways over 1300M on December 10th. The Hansen filly steps up to this distance for the first time and should go well. (10) CHOA enters after a good, if unexpected, 2nd place at class and distance on December 30th and can be respected. (9) KING SIMON disappointed when better supported in the same race but is worth considering again here.
|Selections||(3) Lucky Nova (5) Yeonghui Sidae (1) Darma (9) King Simon|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 12|
Race 11: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(10) CAPTAIN BLADE’s seven outings have been spread over a period of a year and a half but he’s won the last five of them and was very impressive when easing to an eight-length win over 1200M last time. He is up in both class and distance today and this is certainly his stiffest assignment so far but he has every chance of being equal to it. (3) JIGUKCHEONWANG and (4) SEGI GANGJA also have impressive win records and both returned from several months out to run 5th and 6th at class and distance on January 5th. Both look set to improve here. (11) TOUGH COUNTRY was a good 2nd that day but may be hard pressed to repeat. (1) BESTOWED is up in class having won two of his last three and can’t be ruled out.
|Selections||(10) Captain Blade (3) Jigukcheonwang (4) Segi Gangja (1) Bestowed|
|Next Best||9, 11, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 10|