12 races at Seoul on Saturday with the first at 10:45am and the last at 6pm. Wrap up warm! Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Only three of these have raced before and in all honesty, none of them have impressed. That said, expect both (2) O.K. DAY, on the strength of the jockey/trainer combination and (3) ROAD MAN, having not done terribly on debut, to get some backing. It is, however, to the debut-makers that we turn to for top picks. Both (1) RAON ZEUS and (7) YAHO SMART CAT have won trials, the latter in a more eye-catching fashion. (4) GANGTOMA too looked competent enough and may be considered. As always with these kind of races, keep an eye on the market.
|Selections||(7) Yaho Smart Cat (1) Raon Zeus (4) Gangtoma (2) O.K. Day|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
2nd in a decent contest a month ago having been 3rd in debut in November, (4) THUNDER MARINE has every chance of going one better today. He took a while to get going from a wide draw and also hung inwards throughout last time but is pretty much in pole position here and can lead all the way. (2) NONGBON DAERO came even closer to a maiden win last time, just being beaten a nose over the distance and he is the main threat. (7) CAMP TOUCH debuted in that race behind Thunder Marine last month and although she finished 7th of 12, that was by no means a disgrace and she can come on for it here. There are a couple of first-time starts and (5) CHOWON GUNJU looks the one most likely to go well first-up.
|Selections||(4) Thunder Marine (2) Nongbon Daero (7) Camp Touch (5) Chowon Gunju|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Competitive all-filly race this. (4) GEOSEN MAPUNG was sent off as odds-on favourite last start on December 19th and very nearly led all the way before ultimately ending up in 2nd. She should get on the early speed once more and can be given another chance to get it right here. (11) FOREVER WINNER came home 2nd in a similar race to this at the end of November and can overcome a wide draw to challenge once again here. (3) CITY ANGEL had a bad day when well backed last start but has shown speed and can be considered while (2) JEONGSANG MUJEOK and (10) THE PRIMA came home 3rd and 4th in a similar race in what was for both their debut on November 26th and both can look to match those today.
|Selections||(4) Geoseon Mapung (11) Forever Winner (2) Jeongsang Mujeok (3) City Angel|
|Next Best||10, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 10, 11|
Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) BACK TO BACK was a good winner over 1200M on December 9th and while he is up in class today, he looks to have every chance of securing back to back victories. He’ll settle just behind the early pace and can finish strongly. Joining him up in class and firmly in the hunt are (1) BOLD SHINING and (9) LEONNING STROM. Both were decent winners last start although the latter’s came at this distance and he’s favoured at this stage to make a more immediate impact at this level. (7) JAELONGI is yet to win but comes in off a quick, if unexpected 2nd place over class and distance last month and can be considered. At the other end of the experience spectrum is (2) YEONGAM ARIRANG. He was a class and distance last September and while he’s been underwhelming in two outings since, this looks the kind of race he can pick up some minor money in.
|Selections||(8) Back To Back (9) Leonning Strom (1) Bold Shining (7) Jaelongi|
|Next Best||2, 11|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 10|
Race 5: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Really open contest this which could go one of any number of ways. (10) DAEGI SOKDO was a 20/1 class and distance winner on December 16th, beating three of his rivals here in the process. Can it happen again? Possibly but others will be favoured. Principal among those others is (11) RAON KINGDOM. A good winner of slightly stiffer looking contest than this one over 1200M at the beginning of December, he steps back in trip here but can make light of top weight to get on pace early and score one more for an in-form stable. (7) I AM STAR was 4th in that race and can get close too. (5) GEUMAK YEOJE was 6th behind Daegi Sokdo in that December 16th race. However, it was her first start for almost eighteen months. She should be sharper as a result and surely gets closer today. (8) ROCKET ROAD is best of the rest.
|Selections||(11) Raon Kingdom (5) Geumak Yeoje (7) I Am Star (10) Daegi Sokdo|
|Next Best||8, 6, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 11, 12|
Race 6: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(7) WONDERFUL LUCKY’s two best performances to date have both been at this distance and he has as good a chance as any of getting his maiden win in this weak affair. (2) SUPER SAVE also showed some aptitude for the first time when sent up to this trip in December and will likely be the main danger. The two of them are likely to be ridden patiently behind an early pace set by (8) UPDATE, who was 3rd in a monumentally slow race at this distance last month but should be able to plod away and hold on to at least a place. (1) BIG ACE and (4) RAON OPTIMUS others who could go ok in an event that’s unlikely to live long in the memory.
|Selections||(7) Wonderful Lucky (2) Super Save (8) Update (4) Raon Optimus|
|Fast Start||3, 8|
Race 7: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(7) BAEKSAN GUNJU is up in trip following 2nd place in a decent first crack at this level four weeks ago but there is nothing to suggest he won’t get it. With regular jockey Kim Cheol Ho having relocated to Busan, champion Djordje Perovic takes the mount and he can win here. (5) CHEONBIT was only narrowly defeated at class and distance a month ago and has claims to go close again while both (10) STORMY and (11) ROYAL BOKSUNI are up in class. Stormy was comes in with a 2nd place at this distance to his name already while Royal Boksuni tackles it for the first time and both could be interesting. (4) DICE KING is another who is not without claims.
|Selections||(7) Baeksan Gunju (5) Cheonbit (10) Stormy (11) Royal Boksuni|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||6, 11|
Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Having been awarded her maiden victory in the Stewards’ room back in October, (5) MAGIC TEN has done things the straightforward way in both outings since and enters here with a total of three wins from four starts. She is up in both class and distance today but everything she’s been asked to do so far, she’s done well and it would be no surprise to see her continue her excellent run today. Seven-year-old (4) SPASTAR enters in the best form of her career and loves the trip so can be in the mix again while (6) BLACK MUSIC also enters in excellent form and goes around two-turns for the first time. He’ll likely set the early pace. (3) BIG SKY is up in class but shouldn’t be out of his depth while (9) GWACHEON WONDER is another who has won at this distance in the past and can’t be ruled out.
|Selections||(5) Magic Ten (4) Spastar (6) Black Music (3) Big Sky|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 8|
Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(4) KRYPTO KID has been closing to adding to his solitary victory on a number of occasions including a good 2nd place last time out in a similar strength race at this distance ahead of a couple of these and today he can get it right. He can settle handy and finish strongly. (1) CHUKACHUKA was among those behind Krypto Kid and he has scope to improve here, likely from the front where he’ll be joined by (2) GOOD HENNY, who steps significantly up in trip today and looks an interesting prospect under Perovic. (7) ECO BOOSTER and (5) DOSI NONGBU enter having run 3rd and 5th when they raced each other over 1700M a month ago and should be in the frame again today.
|Selections||(4) Krypto Kid (5) Dosi Nongbu (2) Good Henny (1) Chukachuka|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2|
Race 10: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Fillies (and one mare) only here and (9) HANYANGUI JILJU, a decent if well beaten 2nd over the distance last time has every chance of getting a fast start and leading all the way. She’ll be favourite ahead of (1) CHEON YANG, who keeps on coming home in 3rd place and should be at least repeating that today. Wilburn filly (11) MUNHAK PRINCESS won a trial in a swift time in December and looks very nicely in first up and can be backed. (6) LOVE IT and (12) BLUE WOLF are others who can improve.
|Selections||(9) Hanyangui Jilju (11) Munhak Princess (1) Cheon Yang (6) Love It|
|Next Best||12, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 9, 11|
Race 11: Class 4 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
With a 2nd and 3rd in two outings to date, (4) PARK SOCKS has shown considerably more than any of the others here and that will be duly reflected in the betting. She’ll be expected to lead from gate to wire. (3) MR. TURNER and (9) JALOUSIE both have 3rd places to their names as well so are not devoid of ability and both may feature here while (8) SAMSAM VICTORY may not have shown much on debut behind Park Socks but can improve today. There are two debut-makers and Japanese import (7) GEUMA FALCON looks a potential talent. He trialled up nicely a month ago and should have a chance first-up.
|Selections||(4) Park Socks (7) Geuma Falcon (3) Mr Turner (9) Jalousie|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 7|
Race 12: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(12) KING’S WARRIOR may have only managed 2nd behind the returning Gio Star at the end of November and he may be up in class today but he looks very nicely in here and can return to winning ways. Back in October, he beat (10) KOREA JEONGSANG by no fewer than five lengths as the pair raced 1st and 2nd at this distance and the two of them look the superior ones here. Completely a trio of hopes from the widest gates is (11) KILIUI YEOWANG. She won her first three starts including a valuable race at this distance last June but has struggled a little since when racing around two turns. She gets a welcome drop back in trip today and can be considered. (5) HWANGGEUM SORI and (9) S ROSE are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(12) King’s Warrior (11) Kiliui Yeowang (10) Korea Jeongsang (5) Hwanggeum Sori|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 11|