It’s Friday. It’s Busan. There are 11 races at the south-coast track with the frat at 11:30 am and the last at 6pm. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(4) FIRE POINT was a decent 2nd on debut over the distance just before Christmas, overcoming both a bad start and losing a shoe and Peter Wolsley’s filly should overcome this modest lot. (2) B.K MASTER and (3) FAST AWAY’s latest efforts have been encouraging and they can get close today. The latter is likely to be on the early speed along with (5) HEUGSEOL GONGJU and that one too has shown a couple of glimpses of ability. (6) TRUMPET MAJOR the best of a limited rest.
|Selections||(4) Fire Point (3) Fast Away (2) B.K. Master (5) Heugseol Gongju|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 5|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Small field but with plenty of interest. Triple Nine’s little brother (6) GREAT ROCK debuted pleasingly enough with 4th place over 1300M on December 22nd and certainly looks capable of winning this. The principle danger is (3) USEUNG TEN, who took to this distance well on what was his second start a month ago. He was 3rd that day ahead of (7) INTERCEPTOR in 4th and that one too has shown promise although perhaps needs to find a bit more if he is to get a win. (2) SHUFFLE RUNNER and (5) ICE LEG others who are not without chances in a useful little contest.
|Selections||(6) Great Rock (3) Useung Ten (7) Interceptor (2) Shuffle Runner|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(1) MISS TANK hasn’t exactly been quick, but she’s shown competence in each of three outings so far, finishing no worse than 4th. Each time she’s led for at least part of the race and will be favoured this time to hold on all the way around. None of the others with experience have demonstrated any talent yet although (3) APRIL STAR did at least improve last time. That leads us to strongly consider the two first-timers in the race. Both (4) BIG FOOT and (5) SINGAEBYEOK trialled up well and couldn’t really ask for a better race to debut in so we’ll put them in 2nd and 3rd respectively.
|Selections||(1) Miss Tank (4) Big Foot (5) Singaebyeok (3) April Star|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 4|
Race 4: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(2) QUEEN THE QUEEN was a well-backed 3rd on debut and returns here following just over two months off and should be firmly in the hunt here. However, there is a dangerous looking debut-maker here. (7) SWEET PARK won a trial in fine fashion three weeks three weeks ago and looks very nicely in here first-up and we’ll make her the pick. Fellow first-timer (5) KOREAN QUEEN looked decent enough when trialling up behind an established horse at the end of last month and could play a role in the finish too. Among the remainder, while neither (1) VIP KING nor (6) PERFECT BOSS have shown much in the way of speed so far, both look to have potential to improve here.
|Selections||(7) Sweet Park (2) Queen The Queen (5) Korean Queen (1) VIP King|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 7|
Race 5: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) HIDDEN CHAMP was an exceptionally handy winner over 1300M before Christmas and which he is up in class here, he looks the type who’s going to love the distance and is set to be a strong favourite here, likely leading all the way. There are a couple of otheruseful types here and happily for us, a couple of them raced each other at class and distance on December 22nd. That day (9) MINE got the better of (3) SMART MARINE as the pair came home in 3rd and 4th and both could be in the placing frame today. Smart Marine especially did himself no favours in that race and can be better. (2) BEONKWAE JANGGUN was well back that day but is better than that run suggests and can improve here. (4) PINK BLUE comes in off the back of consecutive 3rd place finishes and can look to match today.
|Selections||(5) Hidden Champ (4) Pink Blue (3) Smart Marine (9) Mine|
|Next Best||2, 10, 1|
Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Just fillies (and one mare) here and (7) VIVA VICTORY, 2nd at class and distance last start is favoured to go one better today. She’s still a maiden but has been close on several occasions and this looks to be the right race for her. After a number of near-misses of her own, (4) OKDAN YEOGEOL finally got it right at the ninth time of asking a month ago. Her reward is to be up in class but she’s good enough to be competitive here too. (6) GASOK TRIPLE had a shocker last start but is worthy of another chance while (3) BEONGGEULBEONGGEUL and (10) CHERRY BLOSSOM both put in encouraging performances last time and can be considered here too.
|Selections||(7) Viva Victory (4) Okdan Yeogeol (10) Cherry Blossom (6) Gasok Triple|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 10|
Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(10) DYNAMIC STAR has had somewhat of an interrupted career so far but returned in December eight months after his previous run to go three for three and while it’s his first try at the distance, he gives us no reason to oppose him making it four from four. (2) WINDY PARK and (8) DONGBANG BULPAE look to be the clear next best; the latter overcame a poor start last time to still run well and he could get close here. (3) BOUND QUEENS too needs a fast start something she didn’t get last time and accordingly ran poorly, but if she does, she can challenge for places too. (7) SHINE STAR best of the rest.
|Selections||(10) Dynamic Star (8) Dongbang Bulpae (3) Bound Queens (2) Windy Park|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 10|
Race 8: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Fillies only and we’ve got another unbeaten one here and there’s really no reason why (8) BUGYEONG DAEBAK can’t keep that run going today. Five months separated her first and second outings but both times she’s been quick and while she was a bit of a handful at the gate last time, there’s nothing here that looks likely to beat her. There’s a welcome return to action for (3) EVERGREEN TREE, who showed promise as a juvenile but only made one start as a three-year-old. She trialled well last week and while she’ll most likely need the run here, she’s certainly got strong placing chances. (6) I’M YOUR MOTHER has raced in tough company so far and could well improve here while (2) CHARTERED DREAM and (5) ROYAL KELLY are others with placing chances.
|Selections||(8) Bugyeong Daebak (3) Evergreen Tree (2) Chartered Dream (6) I’m Your Mother|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 8|
Race 9: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) HANEOL NURI is up in class after a smart win at the distance on December 22nd and looks nicely in for a repeat today in less than intimidating company. He should be on pace early and can lead all the way. (3) VEGA ONE is likely to challenge the favourite for the early lead and can stay on follow up some good recent performances. (4) RISING PRINCE’s solitary victory was at this distance and he too enters in decent form and can get close. (9) ACEUI SEONMUL was disappointing last time but came back slightly lame and now fit, can be given another chance.
|Selections||(1) Haneol Nuri (3) Vega One (4) Rising Prince (9) Aceui Seonmul|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3|
Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
A class and distance winner in November, (4) FOUR NINES was 3rd behind a couple of decent ones on Christmas Eve and ahead of three of his rivals here and has every chance of getting back to winning ways today. It’s the champion trainer & jockey combination they’ll be favourites to score. (5) ROYAL HEART was 4th behind Four Nines in that Christmas Eve race and has the best chance of overturning the form. (8) SISEON POCHAK and (2) BAY KINGS came home 5th and 7th in that race and while they obviously have a little more to find, are not without placing chances. (7) USAIN NUT hasn’t raced since early November, when he was 6th to Four Nines’ 4th but he is a consistent type who could benefit from what has been his longest break between races for over a year.
|Selections||(4) Four Nines (7) Usain Nut (5) Royal Heart (2) Bay Kings|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|
Race 11: Class 2 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
A winner of five from ten and never worse than 4th, (11) CHOEGANG FORCE ONE steps up to a mile for the first time and looks firmly the one to beat here. He can overcome the outside gate to get on or close to the early pace and go all the way. A wide draw should also be no hindrance for (12) GIGA SPEED, who was a really good 4th last time ahead of a couple of these at 1800M, and can get close again. (10) ROCKET BLADE was underwhelming when well-backed last start but has done enough to get another chance. (2) IN THE BACK and (6) TRIPLE PARTY too are better than their respective latest outings suggest.
|Selections||(11) Choegang Force One (12) Giga Speed (10) Rocket Blade (2) In The Back|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 11|