It’s the eve of the Eve and Seoul Racecourse runs its final cards of 2017 on Saturday and Sunday. Djordje Perovic is set to become champion jockey, leading closest rival Kim Yong Geun by six wins heading into the final two days of racing. Seoul runs 12 races on Saturday from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(2) CAPTAIN POWER got off to a poor start when well-backed over 1000M last start but he’s performed well at this distance already and looks to have every chance of a maiden win here. (7) NAEGA JAL NAGA didn’t appreciate being asked to go round 1700M three weeks ago but has a 2nd place to his name at this distance and should be involved here. Similarly dropping back in distance and into contention is (9) ONE TWO THREE. (10) JIGONG JEIL had a bad day at the office last start but has shown promise and gets another chance here while (4) SEONGUNG put in a creditable enough debut a full twelve weeks ago and returns as the wildcard here. Worth noting that none of the likely favourites are expected to be on the early speed.
|Selections||(2) Captain Power (7) Naega Jal Naga (9) One Two Three (10) Jigong Jeil|
|Next Best||4, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Not much experience here and it looks wide open. Newly crowned “Jockey Of The Year” will have the chance to add to his winners with (9) GUREUM SONJITHAE, 2nd at the distance o November 11th having led almost the whole way around. He’ll be on speed again and this time could well hang on for a stable that’s bang in form at the moment. (5) PALDO GANGTA has shown promise in two starts so far with a 3rd place in a stiffer contest than this three weeks ago. He takes on further than the minimum distance for the first time here. Among the other experienced ones, (12) MASYA was a decent 4th on debut at the end of last month and can be considered for improvement. Turning to the debut-makers, (1) MIR PARK and (10) MIRACLE HANSEN both looked sharp in winning trials and may be backed first-up.
|Selections||(9) Gureum Sonjithae (5) Paldo Gangta (10) Miracle Hansen (12) Masya|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||9, 10|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Twelve previously unraced 2-year-olds make a late season debut here and we’re going to be a touch lazy and go on their performances in trials. The only one to win a heat was (4) BOEUNUI KKUM, who did so in decent enough fashion a month ago. She’ll be well-backed here. (10) SEUNGRI NARAE was arguably a little more impressive in finishing 2nd in his heat earlier this month and looks set to get a fast start here and could go all the way. Those two look to be the standouts but expect support too for (1) ROAD WOMAN and (3) BEST CHAPEL, both of whom get top jockey bookings. French jockey David Breux gets his first taste of Korean racing on (5) DAEHO CHEONHA, however, given the colt’s trial showings, we’ll take a watching brief with that particular one. As ever in these kind of races, keep an eye on the Korean pools.
|Selections||(10) Seungri Narae (4) Boeunui Kkum (1) Road Woman (3) Best Chapel|
|Next Best||9, 2|
|Fast Start||7, 10, 11, 12|
Race 4: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(6) BULSA BULPAE was relatively unfancied but still managed to beat five of these on her way to 3rd place over the distance on November 25th. She is perhaps a bit one-paced but has shown she can grind out decent finishes and has as much chance as any of them here. (10) NANGMAN STAR was much better fancied that day and only finished a nose behind Bulsa Bulpae in 4th so will have plenty of backers to overturn things this time while (11) SPECIAL DREAM was further back that day but could improve here on what will only be his fourth start. Among those who didn’t go in that race, (5) KHENDUM POWER’s latest two haven’t been impressive but he has a 2nd place at the distance and could get close here while (7) NEULPUREUN CHEONHA’s latest run gives hope – he’ll be at the rear from the start but plenty of these could come back to him in the closing stages.
|Selections||(6) Bulsa Bulpae (10) Nangman Star (11) Special Dream (7) Neulpureun Cheonha|
|Next Best||5, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|
Race 5: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(1) JINGYEOGUI TYRANNO is set to be a warm favourite here following a strong 2nd place over the distance on November 19th. He led for much of that race and should be on pace once again. (2) SOCCER HERO was 5th that day and could get closer today although it’s another “Jingyeogui”, (7) JINGYEOGUI YEONGUNG who could be the main threat. He was 2nd to the very good Lion Rock in a fast time at the distance at the end of November and is looking like he finally has a win in him. (11) GEUMA FORTE has won two of his latest three and while he could only manage 4th when favourite last time out, should play a role here while (10) WHANGHORAN JILJU’s previous attempt at this distance back in August didn’t go well, her latest form has been encouraging and she could be ready for another go.
|Selections||(1) Jingyeogui Tyranno (11) Geuma Forte (7) Jingyeogui Yeongung (2) Soccer Hero|
|Next Best||10, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 10|
Race 6: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
A few in here with some potential. Both (10) HANSEN GLORY and (8) PANGPANG GARI are up in class following maiden victories last time out, the latter’s especially eye-catching. Both will be on speed here and both will have plenty of backers to win again. (4) GEUMA THUNDER was 3rd behind Hansen Glory last time but with that being a second 3rd to go with a 2nd place finish, she finds herself up in class too but with plenty of scope to be competitive. (5) FANTASTIC QUEEN and (7) WITH FRIENDSHIP ended 5th and 7th over 1200M on November 25th. They should both be a little more competitive than that here.
|Selections||(10) Hansen Glory (8) Pangpang Gari (7) With Friendship (4) Geuma Thunder|
|Next Best||5, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 9, 10, 12|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Three starts and three runner-up finishes so far for (8) ALL OF ME. She’s been a well beaten 2nd each time but without any disgrace as she’s yet to be favourite and all three who have beaten here are decent types. That doesn’t apply here. She will be favourite and she should win. (2) SIMPLE RULES is up in class following a win and two 3rd place finishes and while she looks to have a bit more to find, can be in placing contention too. More experienced is (3) STAR PERFECT, a solid enough 3rd in a similar race three weeks ago and with a chance to at least repeat. (5) GREEN K did ok on her first attempt at this class in a slightly stiffer race than this and can get closer than 6th today while (4) EPIPOLAR and (9) GWASOK DOLPUNG have both proven to be competitive at this class.
|Selections||(8) All Of Me (2) Simple Rules (5) Green K (3) Star Perfect|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 6|
Race 8: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
With two wins from three (3) CONTRAIL has made it up to class 4 in double-quick time but there’s little to be afraid of here. His only defeat so far was at 1700M with both of his wins at 1300M. He’s likely to be on the early speed here and can go all the way. It’s by no means an easy race though. (2) JIGONG BULPAE comes in fresh seven weeks after running 3rd in a good race at 1300M, beating (10) GEUMGANG CHEONHA in the process. The latter of those two went on to finish 4th behind (9) GWANGMA HILL two weeks later and all three of those should be in the hunt today. (7) YOUNG STORM, 5th behind Gwangma Hill and Geumgang Cheonha in that November 18th race, is another who could be in contention for a place.
|Selections||(3) Contrail (9) Gwangma Hill (2) Jigong Bulpae (10) Geumgang Cheonha|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 11|
Race 9: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(11) LION ROCK, one of Triple Nine’s “full brothers” returned from six months off on November 26th to record a very impressive victory over 1700M. He’s up in class today, but class is something he’s not short of himself and he should be winning this too. (3) NASCA PRINCE returns to action today for the first time since May and has every chance of going well while (5) SUSEONG CHAMP and (7) SARYEONI HEALING both went around at 1900M last time out and while they didn’t run badly, both should be happier today back at 1700M. (6) YONGCHONG is another who should be in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(11) Lion Rock (7) Saryeoni Healing (3) Nasca Prince (5) Suseong Champ|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 11|
Race 10: Class Open (1200M) Allowance / KRW 200 Million
Nice chance for these juveniles to finish the year picking up a big prize and this is basically a re-run of the Nonghyup Chairman’s Trophy which took place on November 19th. Winner that day was (5) P.K. PARTY, who is now six for six and while that day she was only fourth in the betting, she’ll be favourite to prevail one again, in gate to wire fashion. (3) OP SEVEN was 2nd that day and looks to be the main danger again with 3rd to 5th place-getters (2) MOONHAK CHIEF, (9) CHEONGSU YEOGEOL and (4) TIZ PLAN all returning for another go too. They’ll likely be 1-5 in the market.
|Selections||(5) P.K. Party (3) OP Seven (2) Moonhak Chief (4) Tiz Plan|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6|
Race 11: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(12) SPECIAL RUNNER was a class and distance winner on November 18th and while he carries an extra 3.5kg today, he has every chance of backing straight up. 4th that day was (11) PENACOVA and he looks nicely in here to get closer than the four lengths back that he was that day. Both will settle just behind the early leaders and both should finish strongly. (1) DAEIL SHINHWA and (5) BIG TRIO finished 3rd and 4th behind Special Runner back in October and both can be involved here while (3) MAJUNGMUL is up in class following a good four-length win over 1900M on November 18th and is very nicely in the weights here.
|Selections||(12) Special Runner (11) Penacova (1) Daeil Shinhwa (5) Big Trio|
|Next Best||3, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 12: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap
Wide open class 1 race to finish with which sees Australian trainer Simon Foster saddle his first Korean runner. (3) JUNGL DRUMMER looks up against it though and will be an outsider. (4) CHOEGANGJA showed signs of coming back into form when running a good 3rd last time out on November 26th and can progress further today. He was beaten that day by the ever reliable (6) DAISYAN, who was recording his third straight runner-up finish and will surely be a threat again. (2) BEST GUY, (7) DYNAMIC JILJU and (8) RAON ROUIS were all well back in the same race but are worth another chance.
|Selections||(4) Choegangja (6) Daisyan (2) Best Guy (8) Roan Rouis|
|Next Best||7, 1, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 8|