The Christmas weekend of racing gets underway at Busan on Friday where there are 11 races from 11:30 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Hard to look too far beyond (2) CHANG GONG in the opener. Across his three starts to date, he’s shown far more than any of the others here and should really lead from gate to wire. (4) YEONGCHEON STAR has shown glimpses of ability with a 4th and a pair of 5th place finishes and should be looking to improve on those here while (12) EVER GOOD TIME and (9) GIPPEUM SARANG came home 4th and 5th at the distance on November 10th and can be in the placing frame. It’s a fresh start for (3) DANCING VICAR today and she re-qualified in decent fashion at the end of November while in such a race we have to give a chance too to the solitary debut-maker. That’s (8) FIRE POINT, who also trialled up well.
|Selections||(2) Chang Gong (8) Fire Point (4) Yeongcheon Star (3) Dancing Vicar|
|Next Best||9, 12, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 9|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(10) NINA has shown progress across three starts so far culminating in being beaten by just a Head last time at this distance and she should get her maiden win today. (7) HEUGSEOL GONGJU was a couple of lengths back in 3rd that day and can be in the placing frame again although the primary dangers could turn out to be (3) THUNDER STRUCK, a touch unlucky when running 6th of 9 last time. (6) FAST AWAY was a much-improved 3rd last month having previously shown absolutely nothing and is to be watched carefully while first-time starter (4) MAJOR ANGEL trialled up well. Watch the betting market with that one.
|Selections||(10) Nina (3) Thunder Struck (6) Fast Away (4) Major Angel|
|Next Best||7, 11, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 11|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 55 Million
Six first time starters take on six who have raced once before and unusually for this kind of race, it is one of the newcomers who will be favourite. (1) LUCKY KOREA is from the track’s top stable and looked good when winning a trial earlier this month. She’ll be expected to lead all the way. Among the other debut-makers, (6) SINBIHAN BYEOL looks the best while of those who have raced before, the logical pick is (12) TANGY BITE. He was a solid 2nd on debut on December 1st and should be able to at least repeat that today. (5) YUHWI and (7) ICE LEG are others who can improve on their initial efforts.
|Selections||(1) Lucky Korea (12) Tangy Bite (6) Sinbihan Byeol (5) Yuhwi|
|Next Best||7, 9, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 11|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(9) GAMUNUI YEONGGWANG has beaten a fair few of these across his latest two starts in which he’s come home 3rd and 4th. He’s never been sent off at anything shorter than 12/1 but looks the one to beat in this very modest contest. (4) JANGHAN JILJU beat (5) DAEHO MYEONGGA as the pair raced 3rd and 6th over this distance on November 17th. That was disappointing from the well-supported Daeho Myeongga, who had shown ability previously, and he can be given another chance here. (12) GHOST WARRIOR hasn’t raced since beating Daeho Myeongga a full twelve weeks ago but can be considered while (1) ACE FORCE disappointed last time but is another who is worth another look.
|Selections||(9) Gamunui Yeonggwang (5) Daeho Myeongga (4) Janghan Jilju (1) Ace Force|
|Next Best||12, 6, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 6|
Race 5: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 55 Million
(2) SUMMIT TODAY has finished 3rd in both starts and hasn’t run since being ten-lengths back behind the very promising Yeongcheon Derby in October. She gets an extra half furlong today and she can win. (3) UNSEOK and (11) YONGGU raced each other on debut that same day in October and both showed improvement on their respective second outings last month and both should be in the frame here. (5) HIDDEN CHAMP was well-backed on debut and though he only managed 4th place over 1000M, he began awkwardly from a wide gate and with a better start and more distance to play with today, can be a factor. There is one debut-maker and he has to be taken note of. (9) GREAT ROCK is a full-brother to Triple Nine, trialled up nicely and can go well.
|Selections||(2) Summit Today (3) Unseok (9) Great Rock (5) Hidden Champ|
|Next Best||11, 6, 10|
|Fast Start||5, 11, 12|
Race 6: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) NANGMAN JEONSA got his maiden win at the second time of asking on November 10th over 1300M. He steps up in both class and distance today but should be able to handle both and can win again. (5) SAEROUN JILJU has a 3rd and 2nd to her name in two efforts at this class, running on nicely both times and she may appreciate her first crack at a mile today. (7) JOYFUL STORY and (4) SMART MARINE were 2nd and 3rd at class and distance in early November. Neither lived up to expectations on their respective reappearances but both had excuses – Smart Marine’s self-inflicted by hanging out around the turn – and get another chance. (10) HANEOL NURI returned from six months off on December 1st and overcame a bad start to run 3rd over 1300M. He’s placed at a mile in the past and can do so again. (12) HAENGUN STORY has been 2nd and 4th in both tries at this level, both at this distance. He’s not a straightforward type but he does have ability and will be well backed.
|Selections||(1) Nangman Jeonsa (12) Haengun Story (5) Saeroun Jilju (10) Haneol Nuri|
|Next Best||4, 7, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 4|
Race 7: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) BEAUTIFUL ACT has been no worse than 4th in four outings so far, all at this distance, and comes in off back to back 3rd place finishes at this class. She’s well drawn here and with a good start, can win. This is a nicely competitive contest though. Both (3) BAENGNYEON SONNIM and (5) ISLE CAT also enter with recent form very much in their favour. The former was 2nd in a good race at the distance last month while the latter overcame a difficult start to run a gutsy runner-up in what was admittedly not quite as strong a contest on December 1st. (6) STAR LINE was 5th behind Baengnyeon Sonnim in that good race last month and can challenge for the places at least, while (11) CHEONJIGAEBYEOK is inconsistent but his last run at the end of October gives hope.
|Selections||(4) Beautiful Act (3) Baengnyeon Sonnim (6) Star Line (5) Isle Cat|
|Next Best||11, 9, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 8, 12|
Race 8: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) CHAMPAGNE PARTY was a 55/1 outsider on debut on November 17th but overcame that and an awkward start to register a comfortable victory. She’s up in class and in distance today but it’s safe to say she won’t be 55/1 and has every chance of winning again in this all-filly contest. (2) ALECTO could only manage 3rd when favourite at class and distance on November 12th. She did, however, beat a couple of these and should be in the mix here. (1) QUEEN OF CAPTAIN ran poorly behind (7) VIVA VICTORY last time but has shown enough before to get another chance. For her part, Viva Victory has been hovering around the minor money for some time and can repeat today. On the subject of getting another chance, (4) CHEONNYEONDONGANDO was odds-on favourite at 1000M three weeks ago. However, he started badly and couldn’t get on the early speed and raced very greenly in the kickback ultimately only beating two home. Don’t give up on him just yet.
|Selections||(3) Champagne Party (4) Cheonnyeondongando (2) Alecto (1) Queen Of Captain|
|Next Best||7, 9, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4|
Race 9: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
Tricky one this but we’re siding with (1) KASBAH PRINCE, who steps up in trip after seven weeks off and looks nicely in here. He can start quickly from the inside gate and a maiden win could be on the cards. Also yet to win is (4) SWICH but his 3rd place on his latest start was encouraging and he’ll be in the hunt here. (5) CHOEGANG POWERFUL got a difficult trip last time but still managed to finish 3rd and can be considered while the very experienced (3) AJU PUJIMHAN looks set to start at her shortest odds for about two years; She has a 3rd and a 4th in her latest two in very similar races to this and could go close again. (11) CHEONNYEON BIMA looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) Kasbah Prince (4) Swich (5) Choegang Powerful (3) Aju Pujimhan|
|Next Best||11, 2, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 9|
Race 10: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
Hard to oppose (10) YEONGCHEON DERBY here. He’s won his two starts to date by a combined fourteen-lengths with the latest being the Gyeongnam DoMin Ilbo Cup – a valuable juvenile race – on November 19th. He’s made all both times and he is stepping up two extra furlongs today but given what he’s shown so far, he can deal with it. (4) GEURAE JOA was 2nd at this distance on November 17th and has won at it in the past. She’s a front-runner who is likely to take on Yeongcheon Derby early. (5) QUEEN’S QUEEN was allowed to take her chance in the final leg of the Queens’ Tour last month. Unfortunately, she parted company with her jockey coming out of the gate before proceeding to run round the course on her own. She emerged unscathed and had been going well before that with back to back 2nd places at a mile and she should be in the hunt again. (8) INDIAN GANGJA is up in class following a couple of near-misses but is capable at the distance and nicely in the weights. (7) RISING PRINCE didn’t go well at 1800M last month but should be better at his usual distance today.
|Selections||(10) Yeongcheon Derby (5) Queen’s Queen (4) Geurae Joa (8) Indian Gangja|
|Next Best||7, 3, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 10|
Race 11: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(5) RED SIREN has won four in a row in a streak dating back to July and while he’s up in class today, the kind of speed he’s shown, particularly in his four-length win at this distance last time, suggests he can keep the run going. We’re certainly putting him on top. Well established at this level already s (12) SEONGSAN JILJU, who has beaten plenty of these in recent outings and was a really good winner over 1400M last time out. He’s drawn wide but has every chance. Four of these raced each other on November 24th at class and distance. (10) TRIPLE PARTY emerged the best of them in 3rd place and can look to repeat here. (4) BLUE STORM and (7) WORLD LOVE are others to take into consideration.
|Selections||(5) Red Siren (12) Seongsan Jilju (10) Triple Party (4) Blue Storm|
|Next Best||7, 8, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 11|