Saturday at Seoul sees 11 races from 10:45 to 18:00. English racecards can be found here. Notes on races to be simulcast overseas are below:
Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. YEOKDAE CHOEGANG – Class 6 winner over 1000M in November. Just one start since, 7th of 12 in February. First try at further than the minimum today.
2. COLORS TROUBLE – Back to back 2nd place finishes, both at this class. Solid chance here.
3. MIRACLE MAN – Struggled on first attempt at class and distance at the beginning of the month but can be given another chance.
4. GUTONGSA – Stepped up to 1700M for first try at this level in March. Should be more comfortable stepped back in trip today.
5. MAGIC AI – 2nd, ahead of Black Sugar on March 26th. First try at further than the minimum, she’s very much in the frame.
6. BLACK SUGAR – 4th behind Magic Ai last start, he does have a win at this distance to his name. Placing chances.
7. PRINCEPS – Shown little in two starts so far this year. Outsider.
8. ROAN ACE – Yet to win but up in class having come too close at class 6. Champion jockey stars on and it’s not impossible here.
9. DUMANGANG – One of just two who have won at this distance in the past. 4th of 12 last time out and that looks a reasonable goal here.
10. TRIPLE POWER – Maiden winner on April 2nd on just his second start. Up in class and distance here but should be competitive.
11. BOLD NINER – Maiden winner last time at 1000M. Looks to have a bit to find here but not impossible.
Verdict: Plenty if the frame here but we’ll go with (5) MAGIC AI to make all here and get what would be her second win on her third career start. She beat (6) BLACK SUGAR last time out and that one too looks a potential talent and danger at a distance over which he has won already. (2) COLORS TROUBLE and (9) DUMANGANG have proven competitive at this level while the up in class (8) RAON ACE may be yet to win but should have nothing to fear at this level.
Selections (5) Magic Ai (2) Colors Trouble (8) Raon Ace (6) Black Sugar
Next Best 9, 1
Fast Start 1, 5, 6, 8
Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. BEST DRAGON – Only one outing so far this year, fading to 6th of 11 over 1200M on April 2nd. Should have come on for that and can go much better here.
2. CALL ME JK – Yet to win in 14 starts and two outings this year haven’t been encouraging.
3. PARTY POWER – Yet to win in 17 and that’s unlikely to change here.
4. SPEED CORE – Has really struggled at this level and hard to see her making an impact today.
5. SPASTAR – Went well last summer and autumn but gone cold since.
6. PUREUN SEDAE – Improved 5th at 1700M last start. Yet to win but has a 2nd place at this distance at class 6.
7. DUAL POKPUNG – Top jockey booking but less than inspiring in latest two. Watch the market.
8. TAKE CHANCE – Faded in both starts since returning from five months off in February.
9. GEUMBTI ULLIM – Been a long time since he got any closer than 5th. Outsider.
10. GONSEOL – Comes in off consecutive 8th place finishes and has a bit to find here.
11. WHITE CUPID – Decent 4th of 10 over class and distance on March 11th puts him into contention here.
Verdict: Not a strong race for the level and that puts (1) BEST DRAGON, who was 6th on his first outing of the year on April 2nd, firmly in contention. He should have come on for that run, can be on speed early and go all the way. (11) WHITE CUPID is the only one who enters in convincing form with a solid 4th place last month and she’s likely to be second favourite. (7) DUAL POKPUNG has been inconsistent but runs well on her day and the booking of the champion jockey is encouraging. (3) PARTY POWER and (5) SPASTAR look the best of an unconvincing rest.
Selections (1) Best Dragon (11) White Cupid (7) Dual Pokpung (5) Spastar
Next Best 3, 6
Fast Start 1, 3, 7, 8
Race 7: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. CHOWONUI CHANGA – Latest three have been around two-turns including a creditable 4th last tie. In the frame here.
2. JEOLDAEJILJU – Shown little since missing six months last year.
3. GEUMA DOOLEY – Missed nine months in 2016 and has been last in both outings since returning. Accordingly, can’t be backed.
4. PERFECT CLONE – Improved 5th of 12 at class and distance latest. Top jockey booking and will have some supporters.
5. JEOLDAE BYEONGGI – 7th of 12 at 1800M last time. Usually beats a few but will need to find more to be competitive at this level.
6. DAEBAGI – Disappointing last place on first go at this level on April 1st. Only way is up today.
7. SONGAM HERO – Races for the first time since last October. Trailed up well but didn’t show much at this level in the past.
8. JUNGL DRUMMER – Not seen since fading in the Segye Ilbo Cup in January but he flew through a trial two weeks ago and has to be in the hunt here.
9. LA FENICE – Took his chance at class 2 last start and finished a creditable enough 6th. Could be interesting here.
10. HAERANGANGJA – Down in class having been uncompetitive for a while at class 2. Beaten by La Fenice latest which doesn’t bode well.
11. SINBONGBULPAE – Recent outings have mainly been around two turns. Steps back today and improvement is possible.
12. CIRCLE DANCER – 4th of 12 on first attempt at this level last start. All three wins have been at the minimum but he can’t be ruled out here.
Verdict: (8) JUNGL DRUMMER has shown plenty in the way of speed before and while he faded in a listed race in January, his only outing so far this year, he looked back to full sharpness when winning a barrier trial two weeks ago and could well be the one to beat here. Plenty of others in with a shout too including (4) PERFECT CLONE and (12) CIRCLE DANCER, both of whom come in off the back of encouraging performances at class and distance. (1) CHOWONUI CHANGA and (9) LA FENICE are the others to look out for.
Selections (8) Jungl Drummer (12) Circle Dancer (4) Perfect Clone (1) Chowonui Changa
Next Best 9, 11
Fast Start 6, 8, 9, 12
Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
1. GOLD SOCKS – Recent form has been poor. Outsider of the eight.
2. NOPEUN BIT – Rare Irish bred runner in Korea. Early days still but shown little in two starts so far. Possible the distance may suit better today though.
3. FIRE DREAM – Up in both class and distance today following some solid performances recently. He should be competitive.
4. SARYEONI WIN – Faded last time on first try at this level but has a 2nd place to his name over this distance and can go better today.
5. SEOUL TANK – Shown very little in six prior outings. First time around two-turns today.
6. DONCHON GGUMNAMU – Decent 5th of 10 on first try at this distance last month. Should be on the early speed and can go close here.
7. SWEET ROCK – Korean bred who has won her way up to this level. Two for three so far, she takes on two turns for the first time but is the one to beat.
8. KOREAN PHAROAH – Three starts so far this year have all been over this distance with a best of 6th. Can improve on that here.
Verdict: (7) SWEET ROCK is a half-sister to two Korean Stakes winners and has impressed in her short career so far with two wins from three outings. She’s up in both class and distance today but neither should be a problem and she can lead all the way around. (4) SARYEONI WIN has proven himself at this distance even if he was a little disappointing last time out and he looks the main threat with (6) DONCHON GGUMNAMU and (3) FIRE DREAM others for whom it’s not impossible.
Selections (7) Sweet Rock (4) Saryeoni Win (6) Donchon Ggumnamu (3) Fire Dream
Next Best 8, 2
Fast Start 6, 7
Race 9: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
1. COMPASS – Has come close in recent outings, beating a number of these in the process. Big chance today.
2. DANGDAE GEOLJAK – Class 5 winner at this distance in March and 4th on first try at this level two weeks ago. Likely front-runner here and solid claims.
3. DAEWANGSIN – Has been beaten by a few of these recently and came home last over class and distance three weeks ago.
4. ULTRA ROCKET – A narrow class and distance winner last start. Has had nine weeks off since then and carries more weight today but a repeat is not impossible.
5. YUJIGYEONGSEONG – 3rd behind Jisanggeotap at class and distance at the beginning of March and then 5th last time. Placing chances here.
6. ÉCLAIR HUMOR – Started the year with a 3rd place over 1300M but cold in three starts since.
7. TAEYANG JEGUK – 5th behind Compass on last start. Previous 2nd was at class 5. Ten weeks off since and 5th would be par again today.
8. JISANGGEOTAP – Comes in after back to back 2nd places at class and distance and should be looking to match that today.
Verdict: Small field but decent contest here. (1) COMPASS has been consistently beating his odds to go close so far this year and could very well get it right today. Challenges are likely to come from a couple of others who have been close in recent starts, (2) DANGDAE GEOLJAK and (8) JISANGGEOTAP, with the former likely to set the early pace. (4) ULTRA ROCKET was a winner last time out at class and distance and does warrant some respect.
Selections (1) Compass (8) Jisanggeotap (2) Dangdae Geoljak (4) Ultra Rocket
Next Best 7
Fast Start 2, 6
Race 10: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. SPIRIT OF HANSEN – Returned to form with 2nd place over 1400M last start beating three of these. First try at two turns today and looks the one to beat.
2. HWANGGEUM BISANG – Well back behind Spirit Of Hansen last time.
3. SAMBA FESTIVAL – Shock winner over 1800M last start, making all and holding on. Will get on pace again and while a repeat is unlikely, it’s not impossible.
4. HWANGGEUM DEULPAN – Good 3rd over 1900M in January but well back behind Spirit Of Hansen on latest start.
5. ECO BOOSTER – Class 4 winner over 1300M in February and 6th behind Spirit Of Hansen lasts start. Form to make up but could improve.
6. ROYAL STEP – 2nd at 1900M in January but hasn’t run since only beating a couple home at this distance in February.
7. URIGA BON – Still early days and has shown a few glimpses in five outings so far. Perhaps ready for another try at this distance.
8. TOTAL WALKER – Still yet to win and perhaps this level has proved challenging in two attempts so far since coming close too many times at class 4.
9. USEUNG HOUSE – Surprisingly good 5th last time could be matched here.
10. DAEIL SHINHWA – Close in each of his last four and firmly in the hunt again today.
11. SOJUNGHAN MANNAM – Class 4 winner over 1300M in February but did little on first attempt at this level last time. First try around two turns today.
12. ROCKET QUEEN – Very promising filly who was 2nd in the Sports Seoul Cup in March. First go around two turns but every chance.
Verdict: (1) SPIRIT OF HANSEN looks to be returning to form with a 2nd place over 1400M on March 25th. Coming out of gate 1 he should get on the early speed here and can go all the way. Brian Dean’s (12) ROCKET QUEEN looks a talent. She’s won three form eight so far and was 2nd in a big all-filly race in early March. She steps up to race around two turns for the first time and has every chance of going well. (10) DAEIL SHINHWA is consistently lose and should be again while (5) ECO BOOSTER and (7) URIGA BON look most likely from the rest.
Selections (1) Spirit Of Hansen (12) Rocket Queen (10) Daeil Shinhwa (5) Eco Booster
Next Best 7, 3
Fast Start 1, 3, 11
Race 11: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
1. CHASING DOLLARS – Hasn’t been close to catching the dollars for a while. Well back behind Royal Victory last start.
2. KEUNBADA – Recent form doesn’t inspire any more than minor money chances.
3. JEWELRY PARK –Gone cold since reaching class 2 although did beat a few of these in February. Interesting outsider.
4. I AM FOR YOU – Dead-heated with Shining Guy for 4th at class and distance on March 26th and is in the frame again here.
5. CHEONJIGA – Up in class following back to back victories. Only previous attempt at this distance didn’t go well but that was back in December. Big chance here.
6. SPECIAL JOY – Went back to trial after a couple of lacklustre runs earlier this year. Won the trial at the end of March by thirteen lengths but tough ask first-up here.
7. HAETBINNA – Last behind Shining Guy and I Am For You latest. Some good finishes recently but a lot to find.
8. YEONGNONG – Up in class after a couple of good performances – a win and a 2nd – at 1700M. Not impossible.
9. CITY RACER – Offered little in two starts back since a long spell out.
10. SHINING GUY – Just one start this year and dead-heated for 4th at class and distance with I Am For You. Should have come on for that and big chance today.
11. GUREUMWIE NABI – Recent form doesn’t inspire.
12. ROYAL VICTORY – Winner of a good race over 1800M on April 2nd. Trialled up well last week and in the frame again.
Verdict: (4) I AM FOR YOU and (10) SHINING GUY dead-heated for 4th place at class and distance on March 26th and the pair of them have every chance of battling it out once more, this time possibly for victory. The promising (5) CHEONJIGA is up in class today looking for a third straight win and is to be considered while (12) ROYAL VICTORY commands respect following a good win over 1800M last start.
Selections (10) Shining Guy (4) I Am For You (5) Cheonjiga (12) Royal Victory
Next Best 8, 2
Fast Start 3, 6, 11